Author Topic: Gyms are back open, but....  (Read 7876 times)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Gyms are back open, but....
« on: March 23, 2021, 10:25:41 AM »

Megalodon

• Getbig V
Re: Gyms are back open, but....
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 10:38:22 AM »
It that only a corporate policy or does the state also mandate it?

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 10:48:07 AM »
There is no science behind any of these Covid rules- it's just government trying to flex its power more and more.

Within two months of the first Covid outbreak I found a detailed study from a research hospital in Singapore analyzing how it spread. It isn't air transmission- not by a longshot. It's touch- as in touching any surface and then touching your mouth, eyes, nose, etc.

All of this is moot for a disease with a less than 0.03% mortality. The lockdown was and is political.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 10:49:18 AM »
It that only a corporate policy or does the state also mandate it?

Their corporate policy. I went to the UFC gym down the street and wide open, no restrictions

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 11:51:11 AM »
I take it you don't live in Florida.  ;D

My gym closed in March of last year but re-opened in June, with some restrictions.

You have to make reservations on the 24-Hour Fitness app, to a one-hour time slot in which to train.

Then they closed for 30 minutes to clean and spray down the place. Although, they usually need only 10-15 minutes to clean.

If they reopened before the next group was scheduled to arrive, you could go back inside until they showed up. If not enough of the next scheduled group arrived, you could stay after that.

That lasted for about two months. With two other Orange/Osceola County clubs closing for good, the remaining 24-Hour Fitness gyms have moved staff; so they don't have to close the gym to spray down the place anymore. They're still not quote "24-Hour" yet. The club closes at 9 pm.

However, as of yesterday, the one where I train extended its hours until 11 pm, reopening the next day at 5 am.

And it's not quite 24-hours still; they close at 9 pm and reopen at 5 am.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 11:56:56 AM »
This is why I refuse to go back.  Wearing a face diaper in the gym is ridiculous.   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 12:04:41 PM »
Thats also insane.   I bought my own stuff.  Not going back to a gym having to comply with this stupidity.  Wearing a face condom in the gym makes even less sense than planet fatness serving pizza and bagels to its members. 

I take it you don't live in Florida.  ;D

My gym closed in March of last year but re-opened in June, with some restrictions.

You have to make reservations on the 24-Hour Fitness app, to a one-hour time slot in which to train.

Then they closed for 30 minutes to clean and spray down the place. Although, they usually need only 10-15 minutes to clean.

If they reopened before the next group was scheduled to arrive, you could go back inside until they showed up. If not enough of the next scheduled group arrived, you could stay after that.

That lasted for about two months. With two other Orange/Osceola County clubs closing for good, the remaining 24-Hour Fitness gyms have moved staff; so they don't have to close the gym to spray down the place anymore. They're still not quote "24-Hour" yet. The club closes at 9 pm.

However, as of yesterday, the one where I train extended its hours until 11 pm, reopening the next day at 5 am.

And it's not quite 24-hours still; they close at 9 pm and reopen at 5 am.

kreator

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 12:10:17 PM »
Thats also insane.   I bought my own stuff.  Not going back to a gym having to comply with this stupidity.  Wearing a face condom in the gym makes even less sense than planet fatness serving pizza and bagels to its members.

it's funny seeing roided monkeys wearing masks. They act all tough and rough when everything is fine but turn to pu55ies when times get hard because of a fake pandemic. Where are all the MMA fighters, boxers, bodybuilders, strongmen now? All heads down covered with a plastic diaper

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 12:14:03 PM »
it's funny seeing roided monkeys wearing masks. They act all tough and rough when everything is fine but turn to pu55ies when times get hard because of a fake pandemic. Where are all the MMA fighters, boxers, bodybuilders, strongmen now? All heads down covered with a plastic diaper

A lot of the roid monkeys dont train hard and dont do jack fng S to begin with.  Oh so damn - hard - sit on a machine and do a few sets of whatever w minutes rest in between.   Oh so brutal!!!   

F that noise - bought a bunch of stuff, made a bunch of stuff out of pipes and metal, and train outside now.   Rain, snow, sleet, cold, dark, whatever.   Not wearing a mask like a little obama in the gym.  No way no how.  F that. 

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 12:19:49 PM »
NH gyms didn't close for very long but the rules make no sense medically speaking.

The main thing is having a face diaper on (of any kind) walking in the lobby.🤷🏼🤔

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2021, 12:20:40 PM »

You're talking to a guy who used water jugs, broom handles, pool broom handles, and crates of muscle magazines (from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, and 2010s) as weights for three months. My neighbor did have a legitimate weight set he let me use from time to time.

So, needless to say, I was happy last June after the reopening. The app thing was also to keep people from using the fingerprint scanner to check into the club. Plus, most of the time, I only had to wait outside for 5-10 minutes, while they sprayed down the gym, after my hour was up. And that was on upper-body days. Leg days took just under an hour anyway (unless someone was hogging the rack or leg press).

In August, the reservation times went up to 90 minutes; so, it all worked out well. September is when they stopped the reservation things. And, they just turned the water fountains back on last week. The only part of the gym still down is the kids' club. But, I think my son is too old to use it now anyway (he just turned 11 a few days ago).

I still don't see why gyms in other states are just now reopening their doors, while 24-Hour Fitness (at least in Orange County, FL) has been running for over 9 months.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2021, 12:22:20 PM »
The idea is that some studies showed that exercising with a mask might be harmful so some think a compromise of wearing the mask while moving around the gym to avoid spreading covid but removing it while lifting was reasonable.

I think it's excessive as like Joe said the science is not very strong. Now checking the temperature of the gym goers as they arrive might be reasonable. Like that fella in New Jersey does.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2021, 12:26:52 PM »
NH gyms didn't close for very long but the rules make no sense medically speaking.

The main thing is having a face diaper on (of any kind) walking in the lobby.🤷🏼🤔

We got the mask police, too; but even they've let up somewhat. The particular place where I train is two stories. So, you wear your mask to check into the place. Once you get upstairs, you're fine for the most part. As long as you at least have it over your mouth, the folks tend to leave you alone.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2021, 12:26:55 PM »
There is no science behind any of these Covid rules- it's just government trying to flex its power more and more.

Within two months of the first Covid outbreak I found a detailed study from a research hospital in Singapore analyzing how it spread. It isn't air transmission- not by a longshot. It's touch- as in touching any surface and then touching your mouth, eyes, nose, etc.

All of this is moot for a disease with a less than 0.03% mortality. The lockdown was and is political.

post that study so we can see that you didn't just imagine this or misunderstand it

seems highly unlikely that there was any kind of detailed study done after on 8 weeks into this thing

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2021, 12:33:24 PM »
We got the mask police, too; but even they've let up somewhat. The particular place where I train is two stories. So, you wear your mask to check into the place. Once you get upstairs, you're fine for the most part. As long as you at least have it over your mouth, the folks tend to leave you alone.

I bought a Air Bike, a 45 kettlebell, some jerry cans, some sandbags, rigged up a pale from Home Depot w cement and water and sand that weighs a lot, some 30's, my old basement weights from the 80's, a medicine ball, a jump rope, some steel plates that are 20, 30, and 45 lbs, a TRX, 120l sandbags, a Rouge plyo box, and im good to go.  All fits in the car and dont need anything else. 

Wearing a face diaper in the gym is like going to a steakhouse but all you can order is a potato and glass of water.   Completely useless and a waste of time. 

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2021, 12:35:27 PM »
You're right, for once, their policy is dumb. Either masks on 100% of the time or masks off 100% of the time. In nyc we have a 100% on mask mandate indoors and there's no issue since the gyms are at limited capacity the air quality isn't stifling. The only issue I encounter is when i do hiit on the airdyne

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2021, 12:35:47 PM »
The idea is that some studies showed that exercising with a mask might be harmful so some think a compromise of wearing the mask while moving around the gym to avoid spreading covid but removing it while lifting was reasonable.

I think it's excessive as like Joe said the science is not very strong. Now checking the temperature of the gym goers as they arrive might be reasonable. Like that fella in New Jersey does.

Of course the "science" isn't very strong. That's why some people will try to censor you, if you don't spout the current coronavirus narrative.

Heck, try posting what Fauci said just one year ago and see what happens to you.

Gyms are other places (in certain states, at least) have found and are finding common sense ways to reopen, without waiting for someone to come from on high from DC with the coronavirus commandments to tell them what to do.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2021, 12:35:54 PM »
If you guys want to hear some anecdotal stories here goes: my brother is a healthy 41 year old. 2 weeks ago he ended up in the hospital after being sick with covid for 10 days. They put a catheter on him and told him not to move to protect his lungs. He recovered and is fine now. Same story with a training partner's cousin of the same age.
My brother says covid is not fun. I haven't worn a mask once though they have only recommended it here in Sweden.

I've posted before about my 61 year old aunt who died at the beginning of this covid thing.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2021, 12:43:55 PM »
I bought a Air Bike, a 45 kettlebell, some jerry cans, some sandbags, rigged up a pale from Home Depot w cement and water and sand that weighs a lot, some 30's, my old basement weights from the 80's, a medicine ball, a jump rope, some steel plates that are 20, 30, and 45 lbs, a TRX, 120l sandbags, a Rouge plyo box, and im good to go.  All fits in the car and dont need anything else. 

Wearing a face diaper in the gym is like going to a steakhouse but all you can order is a potato and glass of water.   Completely useless and a waste of time.

I almost picked up a home weight set that was posted on line, for free. But, someone snatched it up within minutes of it.

I'm just cheap. When I didn't use my neighbor's weight set at his place, I simply made barbells out of broom sticks and water jugs to train arms. And I used my pool broom handle and milk crates, filled with my old muscle magazines, to hit chest, back, and legs.

My issue isn't so much the mask, as it is selective enforcement. Besides, once I get upstairs, the staff (especially if they know you) usually leave you alone.

I see it as more like, you ordered a big powerhouse steak. And the waitress delivered it to you....chopped up into 50 pieces.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2021, 12:52:43 PM »
I almost picked up a home weight set that was posted on line, for free. But, someone snatched it up within minutes of it.

I'm just cheap. When I didn't use my neighbor's weight set at his place, I simply made barbells out of broom sticks and water jugs to train arms. And I used my pool broom handle and milk crates, filled with my old muscle magazines, to hit chest, back, and legs.

My issue isn't so much the mask, as it is selective enforcement. Besides, once I get upstairs, the staff (especially if they know you) usually leave you alone.

I see it as more like, you ordered a big powerhouse steak. And the waitress delivered it to you....chopped up into 50 pieces.

I'm not wearing a face diaper in the gym.  I love training and working out and refuse to water it down and make it miserable because idiots say I have to.  Nope.  Not doing it. 

There are like a a few things Left I need to get and I will probably never step foot in the gym again.   I want to get a Century Bob XL stand, an outdoor Rogue/Sorinex squat rack to do pull ups and hang the trx off of, and a Rogue dog sled.  After that I'm good to go for anything.  And maybe some Thompson center mass bells.   

Abelard Lindsey

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2021, 01:12:32 PM »
Our gyms have been open since mid January and no reservation required since mid February. However, we do have to wear masks and the lockers in the locker room are still closed. The pool is open. But you need reservation to use it, which is a good thing because it guarantees you a lane to yourself for your swim. The spa (sauna, steam, jacuzzi) are still closed, which is also a good thing because most of the people futsying around in the pool while one is trying to swim laps were spa users.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2021, 01:17:33 PM »
post that study so we can see that you didn't just imagine this or misunderstand it

seems highly unlikely that there was any kind of detailed study done after on 8 weeks into this thing

Oh fuck you, you lazy kunt. Go get off your fat ass and search for research out of Singapore - the universities there are world class, unlike the diploma mill you went to in Florida, lol

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2021, 01:25:14 PM »

I'm not wearing a face diaper in the gym.  I love training and working out and refuse to water it down and make it miserable because idiots say I have to.  Nope.  Not doing it. 

There are like a a few things Left I need to get and I will probably never step foot in the gym again.   I want to get a Century Bob XL stand, an outdoor Rogue/Sorinex squat rack to do pull ups and hang the trx off of, and a Rogue dog sled.  After that I'm good to go for anything.  And maybe some Thompson center mass bells.

Now that I probably won't compete anymore I've incorporated more conditioning into my routine. I still have sandbags, weight vests, ropes, med balls, etc left over from our facility plus the beach which means sand and conditioning in the ocean. about a year and half ago I started working with Seals, Rangers, Special ops guys but I still do like splitting it with my bodybuilding-type training

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2021, 01:25:53 PM »
Q

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2021, 01:26:39 PM »
Now that I probably won't compete anymore I've incorporated more conditioning into my routine. I still have sandbags, weight vests, ropes, med balls, etc left over from our facility plus the beach which means sand and conditioning in the ocean. about a year and half ago I started working with Seals, Rangers, Special ops guys but I still do like splitting it with my bodybuilding-type training

Probably know a few same fellas.   ;)