Author Topic: A test of Getbigger's knowledge of the resistance curve: Single dumbbell lateral  (Read 11692 times)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Pellius been training consistantly but adding weight and sets gradually as I progress.

Anyway I did 4 Tri-Sets for delts yesterday for the first time in a ,loooong time and I would call what I did INTENSITY. with a capital fucking "I"......it kicked my ass and I had to strain to raise my empty arm afterwards.......and the burn was awesome.

Like I said,doing the most amount of work in the shortest amount of time = INTENSITY IMO.

I have for the most part lived by this adage......not in my early years but later on.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
It doesn't matter how many "foot notes" that article had. It starts out with a disclaimer that the whole article wanting.

I have provided specific examples of intensity, even using hypotheticals to make it easier to understand. But, as I said before, you're over your head on this one.

The idea that one needs weights to determine intensity is just ridiculous. Watch the Olympics and notice how a world-class athlete will collapse to the ground in utter exhaustion after running a 440 and say that is not intensity.
1) I proved that the definition of intensity in strength training is % of 1 rep max.  This is not in dispute.

2) Proclaiming that I am "over my head" does not make it so.

3) Again, you are confusing strength intensity with something completely different.  A runner getting winded in a 440 race has nothing to do with strength intensity.  VO2 max is a completely different measurement.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
Pellius been training consistantly but adding weight and sets gradually as I progress.

Anyway I did 4 Tri-Sets for delts yesterday for the first time in a ,loooong time and I would call what I did INTENSITY. with a capital fucking "I"......it kicked my ass and I had to strain to raise my empty arm afterwards.......and the burn was awesome.

Like I said,doing the most amount of work in the shortest amount of time = INTENSITY IMO.

I have for the most part lived by this adage......not in my early years but later on.

Yet, in Humble's example, he makes no mention of time. Just x amount of sets at x amount of weight gives you the exact degree of intensity. Because your last drop set was so light due to fatigue Humble would consider that low intensity.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
Yet, in Humble's example, he makes no mention of time. Just x amount of sets at x amount of weight gives you the exact degree of intensity. Because your last drop set was so light due to fatigue Humble would consider that low intensity.
It's not my opinion it is sports science vs. bro science.

pellius

• Getbig V
1) I proved that the definition of intensity in strength training is % of 1 rep max.  This is not in dispute.

2) Proclaiming that I am "over my head" does not make it so.

3) Again, you are confusing strength intensity with something completely different.  A runner getting winded in a 440 race has nothing to do with strength intensity.  VO2 max is a completely different measurement.

1. No you haven't. You gave other's opinions which the vast majority would "dispute". I dispute your opinions and examples. You do not need any weight or any resistance to perform intense physical activity. Sprinters are a good example.

2. True.

3. No confusion. Wes, in his example, proves that intensity is not dependant on the amount of force generated. The amount of weight involved. In fact, it is inversely proportional. As the amount of force decreases intensity increases. I'll break this down for you: Let's say that Wes can do 10 repetitions with 35 lbs with the 11th rep being impossible despite his best effort. In the first rep, it is very easy and he could have easily generated more than 35 lbs in the first rep. Intensity is low, whereas force/strength is high. As he progresses through his set his muscle's ability to generate force starts to decrease as his intensity, overcoming his fatiguing muscles, starts to increase. In the last rep, he is at his weakest, he is barely able to generate the amount of force necessary to move that 35 lbs resistance. He can barely complete that last rep no matter how hard he tries and fails completely when he attempts another rep. Here his ability to generate force, to contract his muscles, to move that 35 lbs, is at its nadir whereas his intensity is at its highest during this set.

Force generated gets lower while the intensity increases.

QED

pellius

• Getbig V
It's not my opinion it is sports science vs. bro science.

Your opinion is wrong. You are arguing bro science. No mention of time taken to perform those sets. No distinction was made between absolute and relative intensity. There is a specific definition for intensity.
It is very simple and easily understood and relatable without the need for a calculator

Training intensity refers to the level of effort a person exerts during exercise relative to his or her maximum effort.

-- National Academy of Sports Medicine

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
Your opinion is wrong. You are arguing bro science. No mention of time taken to perform those sets. No distinction was made between absolute and relative intensity. There is a specific definition for intensity.
It is very simple and easily understood and relatable without the need for a calculator

Training intensity refers to the level of effort a person exerts during exercise relative to his or her maximum effort.

-- National Academy of Sports Medicine
Which is another way of saying % of 1rm.  What is a maximum effort?  How do you measure maximum effort without knowing a 1rm?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
In the last rep, he is at his weakest, he is barely able to generate the amount of force necessary to move that 35 lbs resistance. He can barely complete that last rep no matter how hard he tries and fails completely when he attempts another rep. Here his ability to generate force, to contract his muscles, to move that 35 lbs, is at its nadir whereas his intensity is at its highest during this set.

Force generated gets lower while the intensity increases.

QED
This is when I do either a Drop-Set or set the bells down for a few seconds catch a few breaths for a mere moment, and squeeze out a couple more reps, more repeating of this process until I simply cant do another rep...........just another way to extend a set which = more intensity of effort.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
Jeez,,,,,10 pages about a side lateral raise :-\

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
Well, you know what they say, "A broken clock...blah, blah, blah"

Good to see you back. I worry about you. You know, with the drinking problem and all. Missed those changing room body shots. They do have the best lighting.

I do look good in those changing room shots 8)

GymnJuice

• Getbig V

Only 10?  This is getbig dammit.

Who had better lateral delts, Dorian or Ronnie?

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
10 pages of Pellius sympathy bumping his own thread.... ::)

Shoulders are almost like calves...for naturals, shoulder mass is mostly genetic. Sure, anyone can make their shoulders bigger and more defined through hard training and low body fat, but usually you either have them, or you don't.

On steroids.....all bets are off, as deltoid muscles are one of the best responders to anabolics.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
1. No you haven't. You gave other's opinions which the vast majority would "dispute". I dispute your opinions and examples. You do not need any weight or any resistance to perform intense physical activity. Sprinters are a good example.

QED

Sprinters move against their own bodyweight as a result of gravity (and also wind resistance). They do in fact need that weight to generate any kind of physical response. That's why NASA had difficulty initially devising a treadmill in space craft that got any kind of physical response in zero gravity.

Usain Bolt developed approximately a peak of  1500 Watts in his sprint. https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/power-generated-by-elite-runner.252607/

If you measure watts generated, you will have an objective measure of intensity since watts are defined as the rate that work is done.

I see it all the time in my bicycling training. If I push a big gear  (resistance) slowly up a hill I generate X watts. If I drop down to a smaller gear (lower resistance) but increase the pedaling rate, i can easily put out twice the power, or watts. If you use that as the measure of intensity it tracks pretty well with the perceived effort, up to a point.

When you start loading your system down with lactic acid you are often generating less power but it feels more difficult. The intensity measured in watts drops but you think it's off the charts, and it is not.

Many people equate physical pain with workout intensity. From a "work performed" standpoint that is not true.

IroNat

• Getbig V

Sprinters move against their own bodyweight as a result of gravity (and also wind resistance). They do in fact need that weight to generate any kind of physical response. That's why NASA had difficulty initially devising a treadmill in space craft that got any kind of physical response in zero gravity.

Usain Bolt developed approximately a peak of  1500 Watts in his sprint. https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/power-generated-by-elite-runner.252607/

If you measure watts generated, you will have an objective measure of intensity since watts are defined as the rate that work is done.

I see it all the time in my bicycling training. If I push a big gear  (resistance) slowly up a hill I generate X watts. If I drop down to a smaller gear (lower resistance) but increase the pedaling rate, i can easily put out twice the power, or watts. If you use that as the measure of intensity it tracks pretty well with the perceived effort, up to a point.

When you start loading your system down with lactic acid you are often generating less power but it feels more difficult. The intensity measured in watts drops but you think it's off the charts, and it is not.

Many people equate physical pain with workout intensity. From a "work performed" standpoint that is not true.

So, what are you saying?

pellius

• Getbig V

You really think that's what we are talking about? Of course we always move against our own weight. That is a given. Is there such a thing as one rep max with your body weight? Humble was very clear and specific about using actual weights even outlining a set and rep scheme.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Great thread IMO, though I detest one-arm laterals.

If I did do them,I would lean to my left for right hand and vice versa for left hand.

Why you may ask ???

BECAUSE IT`S THE FUCKING CORRECT WAT TO DO THEM DAMMINT !!!!!!!!1111111111111111  LOL  ;D

pellius

• Getbig V
Great thread IMO, though I detest one-arm laterals.

If I did do them,I would lean to my left for right hand and vice versa for left hand.

Why you may ask ???

BECAUSE IT`S THE FUCKING CORRECT WAT TO DO THEM DAMMINT !!!!!!!!1111111111111111  LOL  ;D

X2

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
X2
We old farts could teach these young bucks a thing or two........... thousand.  ;D

pellius

• Getbig V

We old farts could teach these young bucks a thing or two........... thousand.  ;D

;)

IroNat

• Getbig V

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
We aint that old IroNat.................. .............maybe anyway !!  ;D