Author Topic: A test of Getbigger's knowledge of the resistance curve: Single dumbbell lateral  (Read 11651 times)

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • 2024 NPC Charlotte Cup Champion
Sigh, I guess this thread failed miserably. Not a single person was able to answer what I thought was a simple direct question with a direct answer. When I look around on the gym floor and see all these people doing all these different movements I often wonder if any of them have given even a moment of thought to what they are doing and does it make sense. That's why you see people doing side bends while holding a weight in each hand or doing tricep kickbacks.

So now tricep kickbacks don't work??

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
So now tricep kickbacks don't work??

Compared to what? Doing nothing? Cable pushdowns? Instead of staring in the mirror blowing kisses at yourself: you self-indulgent, spoiled narcissist try to think a little. Just a little. Examine the strength and resistance curve of both movements if you even have the capacity to do so. Then come back and make your case.

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Compared to what? Doing nothing? Cable pushdowns? Instead of staring in the mirror blowing kisses at yourself: you self-indulgent, spoiled narcissist try to think a little. Just a little. Examine the strength and resistance curve of both movements if you even have the capacity to do so. Then come back and make your case.

Tricep kickbacks have a different feel than pushdowns you don't need to be a physicist to feel the difference

pellius

• Getbig V
Tricep kickbacks have a different feel than pushdowns you don't need to be a physicist to feel the difference

One of the advantages of being ignorant is that you don't know you are ignorant and make ignorant comments like this that have absolutely nothing to do with the subject matter. You jacking off your boyfriend's cock has a different feel than you jacking off your own cock.

No one is talking feelings. I swear, if you weren't living in your mom's house getting your fat allowance just so you can stuff your face with food and take pictures of yourself you'd be homeless offering blow jobs for 10 bucks.

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
One of the advantages of being ignorant is that you don't know you are ignorant and make ignorant comments like this that have absolutely nothing to do with the subject matter. You jacking off your boyfriend's cock has a different feel than you jacking off your own cock.

No one is talking feelings. I swear, if you weren't living in your mom's house getting your fat allowance just so you can stuff your face with food and take pictures of yourself you'd be homeless offering blow jobs for 10 bucks.

Only jackasses follow a program designed by bookworms with calculators. Instinctive training listening to your body and how an exercise makes it feel is the proper way.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
Only jackasses follow a program designed by bookworms with calculators. Instinctive training listening to your body and how an exercise makes it feel is the proper way.
What if the body feels like being a couch potato?

pellius

• Getbig V

You're such a colossal moron. When everything is just given to you in life you never really develop. Part of being a disciplined person is overcoming and even suppressing your feelings and desires. Like the above person said, what if you just feel like lying on a couch all day or eating ice cream every day?

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
I wasn't going to watch the entire twenty minutes but fortunately scrolling through I stumbled upon the topic at hand and Brignole is spot on. But again, living in an imperfect world given the two alternatives which is better? Leaning left or leaning right when training the right deltoid.

Looking at it from the standpoint of resistance, when the lever arm gets longer, the resistance gets greater. So, if you lean away from the side of the dumbbell there would be a shorter lever when your arm was perpendicular to your body.

To use a more extreme example, if you did the exercise while lying on your left side on the floor, there would be no resistance at perpendicular.

So, given a choice I would lean toward the side of the dumbbell.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
This^  I don't do lateral raises.
I only do lateral raises for the delts directly, no more excercises at all, the delts get enough doing bench press, I do zero overhead pressing

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
[/quote

Then listen to your body and take a rest day

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
[/quote

Then listen to your body and take a rest day
What if the body feels like being a couch potato everyday?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Gravity only pulls in one direction, down.

The reason some use more than one exercise per body part is because some are good at the near contracted position. Some are best at mid range. Some are best at stretch. 

This is where some Nautilus fan chimes in that's why the machines are so great because they hit all the positions unlike many conventional free weight exercises. Sitting in machines is not training athletically.

Megalodon

• Getbig V
And your choice would be?

If the dumbbell is in the right hand, I consider leaning to the left better because there is less resistance at the top of the movement where the muscle is weakest position-wise, allowing for better form. There's also more tension at the bottom of the movement.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus

Cover yourself with sour cream.

IroNat

• Getbig V
What if the body feels like being a couch potato everyday?

Buy sour cream in bulk.

IroNat

• Getbig V
Cables would logically be the best for lateral raises because of constant tension.

Using dumbbells I think leaning away is best because the tension is more likely to be constant if you do not relax at the bottom of the movement.

Leaning toward does not generally provide constant tension at the bottom (but it could if you did not lower all the way).

Probably doesn't make much of a difference in any event.

IroNat

• Getbig V
Tricep kickbacks are effective.

Are they as effective as some other exercises?  No.

If you have minimal equipment (barbells and dumbbells only) then you have more limited exercise choice.

Compare tricep kickback to seated one arm dumbbell tricep extension or one arm lying dumbbell tricep extension.  Pretty similar.

Tricep cable pushdowns are basically the same movement as kickbacks.

How about a cable kickback?

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
What do you think is superior assuming that you believe it matters? Lean to the left or lean to the right when doing single laterals with your right hand?

I think it's impossible to say but you could speculate that movemenys that stress the lengthened position of a muscle are better for hypertrophy, as that's what the research seems  to indicate. So that would be leaning to the left here. I'm always tinkering around with  different variations of movements and then I remember it doesn't really seem to matter in the big picture  :D

But logically, as some have said here, use movements that stress all lengths of the muscle. Like leg extentions should complement other leg exercises as no others stress the fully shortened position.

I saw many hate on one arm db laterals. I think these are the among the best movements for overloading the delts.

If the dumbbell is in the right hand, I consider leaning to the left better because there is less resistance at the top of the movement where the muscle is weakest position-wise, allowing for better form. There's also more tension at the bottom of the movement.

That was my thinking too. You can load the start harder with cables by having pulley at hand height.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Tricep kickbacks are effective.

Are they as effective as some other exercises?  No.

If you have minimal equipment (barbells and dumbbells only) then you have more limited exercise choice.

Compare tricep kickback to seated one arm dumbbell tricep extension or one arm lying dumbbell tricep extension.  Pretty similar.

I find these brutal on the elbows, same with the barbell version. These days rope push downs are my best option.

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
You can make a case that exercises like lateral raises that deliberately put you in a position of bad leverage are a bad idea as you put an unusual amount stress on a single joint and the musculature in that area. For example, lifters do wide grip benches to hit  the outer part of the pec and that’s also where most pec tears occur.

what? lifters lift with a wider grip because it shortens the rom and that allows them to lift more weight

IroNat

• Getbig V
I find these brutal on the elbows, same with the barbell version. These days rope push downs are my best option.

They are hard on the elbows.  Great for tendonitis.

If you let the elbow/forearm angle go to less that 90 degrees you run into trouble. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
what? lifters lift with a wider grip because it shortens the rom and that allows them to lift more weight

He means when you flare the elbows wide which puts more stress on the pecs.

Bodybuilders flare the elbows for increased pec development. 

Most of the pec tears nowadays are from using steroids which increase muscle strength beyond the strength of the tendons and ligaments.

When you tear a pec it's really the attachment tendon that snaps.  Same with bicep tears.  It's the tendon attachment.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Your tricep straightens your arm, it makes no difference what excecise you use, just do the ones you like doing and that you can feel, I use rope triceps pulldowns , one exercise to failure, thats it...maybe 6 sets total..

Henda

• Getbig V
Always thought the kickback was useless and never did but was reading this the other day so maybe some use to it?

IroNat

• Getbig V