Author Topic: P.I.P George Butler Pumping Iron Visionary  (Read 1299 times)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
P.I.P George Butler Pumping Iron Visionary
« on: October 22, 2021, 01:27:09 PM »
 :'( 

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: P.I.P George Butler Pumping Iron Visionary
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 01:31:54 PM »
Pumping Iron is where it all started

Dokey111

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 02:53:31 PM »
RIP George Butler was truly the person who brought bodybuilding into the mainstream.  not Arnold, not Joe Weider.

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 04:41:25 PM »
I met him at the 1990 Olympia, nice guy.  I believe it was he who wrote about going to Arnold and Maria's wedding, only to be relived of his camera at the entrance.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 05:18:33 PM »
Pumping Iron remains the pinnacle of bodybuilding.

The plot, the legendary training footage shot at the original Golds, the editing, the bodybuilders/actors. Forty-five years old, filmed mostly in 1976... and it remains the single best thing bodybuilding has ever produced.
a

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 05:20:21 PM »
RIP

a_pupil

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 05:55:16 PM »
Pumping Iron is what gets most people addicted to the sport.

Such a great movie.

May he schmoe in peace.

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 06:57:55 PM »
PIIP

Pump Iron In Peace

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 07:13:24 PM »

Totally agree most of us would have seen it a hundred times or even more. Bodybuilding just for the sake of bodybuilding.  Sure there was drug use, but it still resembled a sport back then, today no.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 07:34:27 PM »
RIP

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2021, 07:37:52 PM »
I remember when it premiered in NYC. Ed Corney posed after the movie. In the lobby he was signing big posters of the picture on the cover on the book. He looked amazing.  One of the best posers of all time.

Moontrane

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2021, 08:18:16 PM »
I remember when it premiered in NYC. Ed Corney posed after the movie. In the lobby he was signing big posters of the picture on the cover on the book. He looked amazing.  One of the best posers of all time.

"I mean that...that's what I call posing."

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2021, 11:13:48 AM »

I had a dubbed VHS copy of Pumping Iron and I watched it over and over.  No question that it's the main reason that I got so involved in Bodybuilding.

a_pupil

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2021, 11:27:08 AM »
Arnold was trolling hard with the ahm cahmming in da gym scene lol.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2021, 11:41:29 AM »
Was it ever confirmed that George was a schmoe? Askin’ for a schmoe….

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2021, 03:53:01 PM »
Butler was a well known "Pec Slapper" and " Nipple Pincher". Tom Platz was his favorite due to having huge pecs and meaty nips.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2021, 04:24:28 PM »
Butler was a well known "Pec Slapper" and " Nipple Pincher". Tom Platz was his favorite due to having huge pecs and meaty nips.

From Lacey Rich -

"At the premiere of Pumping Iron, Tom Minchello had a friend named Margie, who wanted to make it with Arnold. Tom told Margie Arnie's
room number. She went to the suite and knocked on the door. The door opened to a darkened room. Margie could see that a light was on in the bedroom and she could hear moans. She crept to the other door . What does she see; Nothing, but Charles Gaines (author of Pumping Iron & Stay Hungry) and the great Austrian oak with his heels spread to Jesus. She quickly backed up and hurriedly left. By the time she reach the lobby she was in hysterics telling everyone that Arnold was upstairs being f$$ked by a man. I guess that taught Arnie to lock the door."

-------------------

He mis spells the name, but the guy is Tom Minichiello, who owned Mid City Gym.  He had a book called "Bodybuilders, Drugs, and Sex" where he tells a version of it. Over the years the rumor above got spread around, some say it was Gaines, some say Butler, but the rumor has always been that Arnold went gay for one of the guys from Pumping Iron, and Minichiello saw it.

Bob Bonham heard it was Butler - http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=306303.msg4391490#msg4391490 .

--------------------

Whatever, Pumping Iron is still the best bodybuilding movie.

RIP.

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2021, 04:29:13 PM »
RIP, the dude may have been a homo but idc he started it all

a_pupil

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2021, 04:58:50 PM »
From Lacey Rich -

"At the premiere of Pumping Iron, Tom Minchello had a friend named Margie, who wanted to make it with Arnold. Tom told Margie Arnie's
room number. She went to the suite and knocked on the door. The door opened to a darkened room. Margie could see that a light was on in the bedroom and she could hear moans. She crept to the other door . What does she see; Nothing, but Charles Gaines (author of Pumping Iron & Stay Hungry) and the great Austrian oak with his heels spread to Jesus. She quickly backed up and hurriedly left. By the time she reach the lobby she was in hysterics telling everyone that Arnold was upstairs being f$$ked by a man. I guess that taught Arnie to lock the door."

-------------------

He mis spells the name, but the guy is Tom Minichiello, who owned Mid City Gym.  He had a book called "Bodybuilders, Drugs, and Sex" where he tells a version of it. Over the years the rumor above got spread around, some say it was Gaines, some say Butler, but the rumor has always been that Arnold went gay for one of the guys from Pumping Iron, and Minichiello saw it.

Bob Bonham heard it was Butler - http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=306303.msg4391490#msg4391490 .

--------------------

RIP.

OMG lol. The signs about arnold's inner soyboi were there during his prime.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2021, 05:11:17 PM »
From Lacey Rich -

-------------------

--------------------

RIP.

:D :D :D

Notomorrow

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2021, 08:42:45 PM »
There is known Pumping Iron footage of Arnold making comments about admiring Hitler(probably during his talk about being 'like Jesus' and being immortally famous) and his and others use of steroids that was edited out.  In Arnold's defense, he has said he was acting in the movie, to build up this Germanic superior character to balance out the "you get that German" stuff with Lou and his Dad.  Someone has it somewhere, and given that Butler shot it, the footage should be released in his honor.

Moontrane

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2021, 09:04:50 PM »
There is known Pumping Iron footage of Arnold making comments about admiring Hitler(probably during his talk about being 'like Jesus' and being immortally famous) and his and others use of steroids that was edited out.  In Arnold's defense, he has said he was acting in the movie, to build up this Germanic superior character to balance out the "you get that German" stuff with Lou and his Dad.  Someone has it somewhere, and given that Butler shot it, the footage should be released in his honor.

Arnold did a great job squelching that bit out of PI.   

Notomorrow

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2021, 09:19:55 PM »
Arnold did a great job squelching that bit out of PI.   
Arnold has so much shit he "squelched". There was a whole agreement between Arnold, Weider and AMI that AMI would not publish any real dirt on Arnold in their National Enquirer and other tabloids when he ran for governor in their deal to buy the Olympia. AMI bought the O in 2003, same year Arnold ran for governor. It was a whole package deal including protecting Arnold.