Author Topic: odds and ends [bodybuilding related.  (Read 82492 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
Re: odds and ends [bodybuilding related.
« Reply #275 on: June 01, 2022, 11:29:29 AM »
Funk,
Unauthorized leave of absence...don't let it happen again.
 ;)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #276 on: June 01, 2022, 01:06:17 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #277 on: June 03, 2022, 04:33:16 AM »

&t=525s     
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #278 on: June 06, 2022, 06:25:52 AM »

&t=117s
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #279 on: June 06, 2022, 06:28:48 AM »

&t=170s
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #280 on: June 08, 2022, 04:28:11 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #281 on: June 08, 2022, 04:37:36 AM »
  Self-consciousness is fought, doubt is beaten off, extraneous thoughts are eliminated and energy is focused; these the toughest aspects of the battle." ~ Dave Draper
This week's entry isn't an interview, but it's pretty old and I'm thinking many of you won't have seen this one before. It's a fun one, so I wanted to share it with you. Here's Dave with Dungeon Duty:
I set out from my home, an apartment on Copeland Court in Santa Monica, fueled with my 1960s standard pre-workout meal: two rounded tablespoons of defatted and desiccated beef-gland powder and eight ounces of water. It mixed (not well) and went down the throat like everyday dirt. Mmm, mmm, good. Mud in a tumbler was a ritual I practiced stoically every morning, a sacrifice to the gods of iron and steel. Endurance and rock-hard muscle are what I sought. Mr. America was behind me and the Universe ahead. Whatever it took.
The streets were quiet, as usual in the early morning -- traffic 40 years ago not up to the density and madness of today. I was driving a fire-engine red Corvette with the top down and the hood of my sweatshirt up. The nip of California fall was in the air. My mind was in limbo as the car rumbled toward the Muscle Beach gym, also known as the Dungeon, and to some, the tabernacle and the altar.
There was something in the air, a mystery, I could feel it and I didn’t know what it was; I didn’t want to know and I didn’t look. It would reveal itself, I was sure. It always did.
I don’t ever recall questioning why I was bound for the gym when I was bound for the gym. Never was there room for a wedge to be placed that might separate me from my workout. No mission to accomplish drove me onward, no definitive goal, no exact target, no tangible end result. Weight lifting and building muscle and strength largely and simply defined my life. I worked, worked out, struggled to pay my bills, slept and ate, laughed and cried. I was still a child of the east coast and there ain’t nuttin’ wrong with that. Room to grow.
No searching for a parking space, I pulled directly in front of the Dungeon’s entrance, a pair of faded poster- and graffiti-covered doors hanging crookedly on rusty hinges. They appeared locked and I had the key -- lift up firmly on the handle and pull vigorously, place a rock against door to keep open. No alarm sounded.
I was in.
That I was in was not a thrill. It was necessary, it had to be, it was a must, the unspoken rule of my life; now to find my way to the switch box to throw some light on the scene. Throwing some light was not unlike striking a match and lighting a pair of votive candles. I come, I see, I do. Let’s get to work.
Everything was there just as the day before. I saw tired Olympic bars, multitudes of scattered plates like families of turtles heading for the sea, and hulking dumbbells stretched out on sagging wooden racks. The dumbbells reminded me of hoods I knew in Jersey who took numbers and worked for the unions, a gnarly and troublesome bunch if you didn’t know them. What was in the corners darkened by the night, under the hidden stairwells and in that back room where junk was stored and no one goes, I didn’t care or wonder. Big spiders and rats, I suspected.
Situps, leg raises and hyperextensions, intended to strengthen my midsection, gave me comfort in the shadowy stillness. I forced my energy and deep breathing into the dead space, resuscitating it as if it were a languishing ghost. Soon we were both warm bodies and alive. The dried animal glandulars -- and youth and determination -- were kicking in.
Nobody interrupted the early morning solitude -- just the way I liked it, bleak and harsh in the subterranean confines contrasting with the warmth and light at the top of the long narrow staircase. At the far end of the gym, the lifting platform beneath the sidewalk skylights beckoned me with a lonely call. The mystery of the early morning was beginning to unfold. I plodded over like a young bull coaxed by mild tugs on his nose ring, a curious and innocent beast sensing a mate waiting in the low brush.
This bull was weighing 245 pounds and eating lots of protein. I did a set of bench presses, as one does to penetrate the cold, wet waters, and the plates clanged loudly. The tranquility was broken. Every cracked wall and dank corner bristled with reverberations. An unconscious shudder announcing we’ve begun went through my body. It’s time. Lift with all your might till it’s over.
I stood on the warped lifting platform, its original geometric flatness rearranged by time, moisture and the thunder of the weights dropping furiously year after year from overhead. I loaded the straightest bar I could find in the creeping morning light. There it lay, an Olympic bar and a 45-pounder -- a wheel -- one on each side, 135 pounds.
I did a second set of benches to continue my warm-up. Felt good, real good. Revisiting the platform, I stood over the handsome construction and rolled it forward and back with my foot. Impulsively I bent over, grasped the weight, pulled it to my shoulders and pressed it overhead for reps. I was testing the small mass, kicking tires, squeezing melons at the market. Felt good, real good.
Sitting again at the bench press, I felt my gaze return to the platform. It was irresistible. The bench press suddenly seemed one-dimensional compared to the overhead press, incomplete, less engaging, not as expressive or interesting. The standing press was tougher and more critical. I found myself adding another wheel to each side. It was Monday, not my favorite day, but I was fresh.
I cleaned the 225, pressed it for two reps and returned it to its place on the hard rubber mats. Delightful.
I’d done bent-over rows seriously, heavy reverse curls regularly and my benches weren’t bad, but I wasn’t real familiar with overhead pressing. You might say this was the beginning.
I was now circling the gym floor with my belt in hand, searching for chalk. In the Dungeon, chalk was stashed out of sight by the hardcore who liked the white-powder ritual and needed the gripping advantage. I slid a 25 on each side, made the appropriate clang and locked the weight in place with thick collars. I squinted at the pile like it was trouble and resumed my hunt. The floor was still empty, grey had replaced the blackness and I was hot with sweat and cold with its evaporation.
I confronted the well-balanced and thickening heap of iron with respect, my attitude taking on the gravity of the weight before me. The objective was to move the weight to my shoulders in one sudden surge of power, make some quick and sure adjustments, and press the mass steadily overhead till the arms were locked and the torso stable and upright -- hold it for a couple of seconds and sensibly return it to the platform. I’d practiced this procedure half a dozen times earlier in the spring with less weight and less intensity. No problem. I was younger then and it was less important than now.
Deep breath, grasp, clean and press. Job done well with arms reaching and the weight close to the sky. I hear the sound of life in the distance, a figure doing chins a mile away. The day has begun.
I know what I have to do. Off comes the quarter and on goes another 45. The plates are made tight with a rumble one side at a time, the heavy collars are locked in place and the bar is brushed with chalk. I tug on the mass for good measure and turn to the process of preparing and psyching for the battle: belt, pacing, standing, considering and chalking. Self-consciousness is fought, doubt is beaten off, extraneous thoughts are eliminated and energy is focused; these the toughest aspects of the battle.
Seeking a culmination of all that is positive and enthusiastic and good and right, I bend over to do it again.
This, the lifting of an impossible weight on a bar, is not something we repeat. Each time is the first time, if it is any good. The procedures have a sameness and continuity about them -- position the body, bend, grasp, clean, press and return -- but the fury between each step is always new, spontaneous and redefining. Man against steel, steel against man, man against himself. We’ve got our hands full, crew.
I did it with back-breaking fullness. I staggered briefly after the clean, my legs remained locked as I pressed and, yes, I leaned like an oak in high winds, but I did not stall or jerk or otherwise falter. I pulled and reached and reached and stood for blinding seconds before lowering the weight, letting it go a foot from its resting place.
When you’re alone after a remarkable success, satisfaction and gratefulness whirl in your mind with no place to go. They were self-contained, while colorful flashes and mad sounds of rushing filled my head and a wonderful ache flooded my pulsating body. I did it, I whispered with an insufficient shrug: recuperate, oxygenize.
I was leaning on my arms, breathing smoothly and staring at my recently acquired friend, 315 pounds of steel, when someone called out from the center of the gym floor. I turned and there’s Jack Hughes, a wiry lifter from a generation gone by who was then a coach and judge of powerlifting and Olympic lifting contests on the coast. “Good lift, Draper,” he said, “don’t see too many guys pressing 325 at 7 o’clock on a Monday morning.”
I thanked him without pretension, being a very young member of a very old club. I also pointed out I had 315 pounds on the bar. He pointed out I had 325 on the bar and hadn’t accounted for the 10 pounds of lock-tight collars. He left, and I did it again. 
True stories don’t grow on trees. Today I couldn’t roll 325 pounds across the floor even if I succeeded loading it on a bar in the first place. That doesn’t make me a bum, ya know. I’m still a bomber.
Once a bomber, always a bomber. May the wind beneath your wings lift you higher and higher.
God’s speed... Dave
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #282 on: June 11, 2022, 09:22:12 AM »

&t=22s
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #283 on: June 11, 2022, 09:23:08 AM »
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #284 on: June 12, 2022, 06:41:11 AM »
  Like many high school athletes, Bobby, 16, a junior from Long Island, has spent years whipping his body into shape through protein diets and workouts.

Between rounds of Fortnite and homework, Bobby goes online to study bodybuilders like Greg Doucette, a 46-year-old fitness personality who has more than 1.3 million YouTube subscribers. Bobby also hits his local gym as frequently as six days a week.

“Those guys made me realize I wanted to get bodies like them and post stuff like them,” said Bobby, who has fluffy curls of dark hair and the compact frame of a gymnast. (The New York Times is not publishing the surnames of minors or the names of their parents in this article to protect their privacy.)

He makes sure to hit the fridge, too, grazing on protein-packed Kodiak Cakes and muscle-mass-building Oreo shakes. He consumes so much protein that classmates sometimes gawk at him for eating upward of eight chicken-and-rice meals at school.

But Bobby isn’t getting buff so he can stand out during varsity tryouts. His goal is to compete in a different arena: TikTok.

Bobby now posts his own workout TikToks. Shot on his iPhone 11, usually at the gym or in his family’s living room, the videos are devoted to topics like how to get a “gorilla chest,” “Popeye forearms” or “Lil Uzi’s abs.”

Bobby said that he has occasionally fallen behind on his schoolwork because he dedicates so much time to weight lifting and prepping high-protein meals.

“When Bobby first started posting his videos, our family did not even know what he was doing for months, as he was extremely independent and did stuff on his own,” said his father, 49, who is a correctional officer at Rikers Island. “He doesn’t really talk much about what goes into his videos, but I know he takes his time with them to make sure they’re perfect.”

Bobby’s father can, in some ways, relate. “When I was younger, I remember seeing the men’s fashion magazines and seeing the jacked, buff guys on there and wanted to look like them,” he said. “It took me a while to realize that those men’s bodies were most likely unattainable.”

But unlike his father’s experience, as Bobby’s body mass grows, so does his online audience. “Young guys see me as their idol,” said Bobby, who has more than 400,000 followers on TikTok. “They want to be just like me, someone who gained muscle as a teenager.”

Among his disciples is Tanner, 16, a high schooler from Arkansas, who reached out to Bobby on Instagram. “Thank you for inspiring me,” Tanner wrote.

For many boys and young men, muscle worship has become practically a digital rite of passage in today’s beefcake-saturated culture. Examples are everywhere — the hypermasculine video games they play, the mesomorphic superheroes in the movies they watch. The top grossing films of last year were ruled by C.G.I.-enhanced masculine clichés: Spider-Man, Shang Chi, Venom and the entire Marvel universe.

Many doctors and researchers say that the relentless online adulation of muscular male bodies can have a toxic effect on the self-esteem of young men, with the never-ending scroll of six packs and boy-band faces making them feel inadequate and anxious.

And while there has been increased public awareness about how social media can be harmful to teenagers — spurred in part by the leak of internal research from Facebook showing that the company hid the negative effects of Instagram — much of that focus has been on girls.

Recent reports, however, have found that those same online pressures can also cause teenage boys to feel bad about their bodies.

“Girls discuss those pressures more, but it’s completely the same for boys,” said Elliot, 17, a mop-haired high school student from Colorado, who began posting workout videos on TikTok two years ago, often with the hashtag #teenbodybuilding. “I feel like I’m trying to be some character just to get more views, rather than the person I want to be.”

A 2019 survey published in the Californian Journal of Health Promotion examined body image in boys. Almost a third of the 149 boys surveyed, aged 11 to 18, were dissatisfied with their body shapes. Athletes were more likely to be dissatisfied than non-athletes and most wanted to “increase muscle,” especially in the chest, arms and abs.

The quest for perfect pecs is so strong that psychiatrists now sometimes refer to it as “bigorexia,” a form of muscle dysmorphia exhibited mostly by men and characterized by excessive weight lifting, a preoccupation with not feeling muscular enough and a strict adherence to eating foods that lower weight and build muscle. The condition can also lead young men to become obsessed with their appearance, checking themselves in the mirror either constantly or not at all.

Bryan Phlamm, 18, a college freshman in Illinois, often posts shirtless videos of himself in the locker room of Charter Fitness, flexing his chiseled hamstrings and pectoral muscles. But once his camera is off, he throws on a hooded sweatshirt to disguise his body while he works out on the gym floor.

“I try not to look at myself,” he said. “I just get discouraged, especially when you look at social media and see these guys who utilize camera angles and lighting to make themselves appear as if they’re three times the size they actually are.”

Many young men who overexercise and follow rigid diets often skip meals with family and friends, and complain of feeling isolated and socially anxious.Credit...Photo Illustration by Leonard Suryajaya for The New York Times

More Muscles, More Views

“Most studies on the topic of body satisfaction and social media are conducted with a female population in mind, which, of course, is quite understandable,” said Thomas Gültzow, a public health researcher at Maastricht University in the Netherlands. “Almost none of what is out there focuses on men.”

In 2020, Mr. Gültzow and his co-authors published a study that analyzed 1,000 Instagram posts that depicted male bodies. Idealized images of “highly muscular, lean men,” the report found, received more likes and shares than content showing men who are less muscular or have more body fat.

A scroll through the most popular TikTok or YouTube accounts today reveals a landscape dominated by musclemen. Social media stars like the bros from Dude Perfect, the bodybuilder and comedian known as The Black Trunks, and the bad-boy creator Jake Paul all have bulging biceps and rock-hard abs. TikTok hype houses are populated by heartthrobs like Noah Beck, Chase Hudson and Bryce Hall, who strut around shirtless.

Even many gamers, once dismissed as geeks, are sizing up. PewDiePie ignited a Reddit frenzy when he showed off his newly ripped physique during the pandemic. His 20-minute workout diary has been viewed more than 10 million times on YouTube.

Some Hollywood hunks have started reassessment, though. Last month, Channing Tatum pushed back against a shirtless image of himself from “Magic Mike XXL” that was flashed in front of the audience of Kelly Clarkson’s daytime talk show.

“It’s hard to look like that. Even if you do work out, to be that kind of in shape is not natural,” Mr. Tatum said. “That’s not even healthy. You have to starve yourself. I don’t think when you’re that lean, it’s actually healthy.”

Even if there is a long history of celebrating muscled physiques, no form of media has disrupted how young men view their bodies quite like the insatiable voyeurism and staged exhibitionism that fuels platforms like TikTok and Instagram.

“Social media is really where young men experience evaluations of their appearance from others,” said Veya Seekis, a lecturer at the School of Applied Psychology at Griffith University in Queensland, Australia. “The more men view their bodies as objects for public display, the more they fear being negatively evaluated, which so often triggers compulsive exercising and other ‘healthy’ behaviors that can end up having an impact on their well-being.”

For three years, Dr. Seekis has been collecting data on the social-media habits of 303 undergraduate men and 198 high school boys in Australia. She has found, in part, that exposure to images of archetypal masculine physiques was linked to low body esteem in young men and an increased desire to become more muscular.

It’s a fitness feedback loop that has ensnared Johnny Edwin, 22, a linebacker-size scaffolder from British Columbia, Canada. He said that when he was in high school, he would spend hours glued to YouTube channels like that of Chris Jones, a self-described exercise guru known as Beastmode Jones.

“Social media, and the pressure to live up to those guys and have that manly-looking physique, has completely taken over my life,” said Mr. Edwin, who still watches weight lifting videos on YouTube.

Three years ago, Mr. Edwin started uploading his own gym-training content on TikTok under the user name Big Boy Yonny, where he has more than 12,000 followers. “Even though people are saying I look good or whatever, I know I’ll never have a perfect body,” he said. “If I gain any weight now, I’m not going to look as good, which means I’ll lose followers.”

Pressure for a better body can start as early as elementary school.

Rudy, 17, a senior at a Los Angeles high school, said boys as young as 10 have hit him up on Instagram and YouTube seeking advice on what to eat and how to achieve a “Dorito physique,” the broad-shouldered triangular shape desired by many fitness influencers.

“I just tell them, ‘Have your parents buy you chicken breast or lean meat with white rice and vegetables,’” Rudy said.

The schoolboy body talk can be startling. Two parents from Burlington, Vt., gave their 13-year-old son permission to use social media for the first time last summer. “It opened up this whole new world to him of Instagrammers and YouTubers in muscle shirts,” the boy’s mother said.

Over the next several months, their son became fixated on his lack of muscle definition and complained he felt “weak” and not “the right size.” “When you have 10 to 20 boys, all in eighth grade, referring back to that content — content that has become their goal of what a man is and what they want to look like — that’s a powerful stew,” the mother said.

The boy’s father said that his son “doesn’t even have a man’s body yet because he hasn’t gone through puberty, but he already has this incredibly high standard of what he should look like.”

‘I’ve Completely Lost My Social Skills’

Dr. Jason Nagata, a pediatrician who specializes in adolescent medicine at the University of California, San Francisco, believes that the pandemic may have exacerbated some of these unhealthy behaviors.

“The pandemic created a perfect storm for eating disorders with the combination of social isolation, disruption of normal routines and sports seasons, and constantly being in front of cameras through social media or videoconferencing,” Dr. Nagata said. “A lot of boys had their schedules and regular sports activities interrupted during the pandemic, which caused them to become anxious about either losing or gaining weight.”

Dr. Nagata has met with teenage boys who have fainted at the gym — sometimes suffering headaches, temporary blackouts and confusion — because they overexerted themselves lifting weights and had low energy because of a compulsion to count calories (a condition known as orthorexia).

A study published last year in The Journal of Adolescent Health looked at eating disorders among men throughout young adulthood. By age 16 to 25, one-quarter of the 4,489 male participants told researchers they were worried about not having enough muscles. Eleven percent reported using muscle-building products such as creatine or anabolic steroids.

The consumption of over-the-counter supplements has become so pervasive that dry scooping protein powder — consuming it without mixing it in water — became a popular TikTok challenge last year. The stunt was dangerous enough to cause health experts to issue a warning that it could lead to wheezing and breathing troubles. Over-consuming powdered protein can also cause problems with metabolism and gut comfort, according to a Finnish meta-analysis.

The line between getting fit and fanatical is not always clear. “We know there is a ton of pressure on guys, but disordered behaviors that fall specifically on the more muscular end of the spectrum tend to get a pass publicly, since goal-oriented habits around the gym are socially accepted, glamorized even,” said Stuart B. Murray, who directs the eating disorders program at the University of Southern California.

Bigorexia can lead to interpersonal problems too. Many young men who overexercise and follow rigid diets often skip meals with family and friends, and complain of feeling isolated and socially anxious.

“I’ve completely lost my social skills,” said Mr. Edwin, the Canadian TikToker. He frequently misses birthday parties and avoids socializing with friends because he fears “the next day’s workout and how that could affect my muscle growth,” he said, adding, “there are so many memories that I’ve missed because I’ve been at the gym. I basically don’t leave my house besides for groceries, work and the gym.”

Mr. Edwin said that he ignores “texts and calls from everybody” and rarely finds the time to see his family, who lives 15 minutes away by car.

“If there was no social media or internet, I probably wouldn’t even care about my physique, to be honest,” he said.

Bobby, the high schooler with a big TikTok following, has also experienced the downsides of so much working out. His mood at school may depend on how good he thought he looked that morning.

After school, socializing often takes a back seat to the gym, even though he feels a certain malaise when he sees his classmates on Instagram having a social life. When he does attend a party, he sometimes spends the whole night thinking, he said, “I could have been getting an arm pump right now.”

At first, he thought a muscular physique might be a way to make new friends, especially among the girls at school. But most of the attention has come from other boys on TikTok looking to get buff.

“Your only new friends are the weights,” he says in one video.
&t=81s

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #285 on: June 12, 2022, 06:43:43 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #286 on: June 12, 2022, 06:46:15 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #287 on: June 13, 2022, 03:04:27 PM »
   Self-consciousness is fought, doubt is beaten off, extraneous thoughts are eliminated and energy is focused; these the toughest aspects of the battle." ~ Dave Draper
This week's entry isn't an interview, but it's pretty old and I'm thinking many of you won't have seen this one before. It's a fun one, so I wanted to share it with you. Here's Dave with Dungeon Duty:
I set out from my home, an apartment on Copeland Court in Santa Monica, fueled with my 1960s standard pre-workout meal: two rounded tablespoons of defatted and desiccated beef-gland powder and eight ounces of water. It mixed (not well) and went down the throat like everyday dirt. Mmm, mmm, good. Mud in a tumbler was a ritual I practiced stoically every morning, a sacrifice to the gods of iron and steel. Endurance and rock-hard muscle are what I sought. Mr. America was behind me and the Universe ahead. Whatever it took.
The streets were quiet, as usual in the early morning -- traffic 40 years ago not up to the density and madness of today. I was driving a fire-engine red Corvette with the top down and the hood of my sweatshirt up. The nip of California fall was in the air. My mind was in limbo as the car rumbled toward the Muscle Beach gym, also known as the Dungeon, and to some, the tabernacle and the altar.
There was something in the air, a mystery, I could feel it and I didn’t know what it was; I didn’t want to know and I didn’t look. It would reveal itself, I was sure. It always did.
I don’t ever recall questioning why I was bound for the gym when I was bound for the gym. Never was there room for a wedge to be placed that might separate me from my workout. No mission to accomplish drove me onward, no definitive goal, no exact target, no tangible end result. Weight lifting and building muscle and strength largely and simply defined my life. I worked, worked out, struggled to pay my bills, slept and ate, laughed and cried. I was still a child of the east coast and there ain’t nuttin’ wrong with that. Room to grow.
No searching for a parking space, I pulled directly in front of the Dungeon’s entrance, a pair of faded poster- and graffiti-covered doors hanging crookedly on rusty hinges. They appeared locked and I had the key -- lift up firmly on the handle and pull vigorously, place a rock against door to keep open. No alarm sounded.
I was in.
That I was in was not a thrill. It was necessary, it had to be, it was a must, the unspoken rule of my life; now to find my way to the switch box to throw some light on the scene. Throwing some light was not unlike striking a match and lighting a pair of votive candles. I come, I see, I do. Let’s get to work.
Everything was there just as the day before. I saw tired Olympic bars, multitudes of scattered plates like families of turtles heading for the sea, and hulking dumbbells stretched out on sagging wooden racks. The dumbbells reminded me of hoods I knew in Jersey who took numbers and worked for the unions, a gnarly and troublesome bunch if you didn’t know them. What was in the corners darkened by the night, under the hidden stairwells and in that back room where junk was stored and no one goes, I didn’t care or wonder. Big spiders and rats, I suspected.
Situps, leg raises and hyperextensions, intended to strengthen my midsection, gave me comfort in the shadowy stillness. I forced my energy and deep breathing into the dead space, resuscitating it as if it were a languishing ghost. Soon we were both warm bodies and alive. The dried animal glandulars -- and youth and determination -- were kicking in.
Nobody interrupted the early morning solitude -- just the way I liked it, bleak and harsh in the subterranean confines contrasting with the warmth and light at the top of the long narrow staircase. At the far end of the gym, the lifting platform beneath the sidewalk skylights beckoned me with a lonely call. The mystery of the early morning was beginning to unfold. I plodded over like a young bull coaxed by mild tugs on his nose ring, a curious and innocent beast sensing a mate waiting in the low brush.
This bull was weighing 245 pounds and eating lots of protein. I did a set of bench presses, as one does to penetrate the cold, wet waters, and the plates clanged loudly. The tranquility was broken. Every cracked wall and dank corner bristled with reverberations. An unconscious shudder announcing we’ve begun went through my body. It’s time. Lift with all your might till it’s over.
I stood on the warped lifting platform, its original geometric flatness rearranged by time, moisture and the thunder of the weights dropping furiously year after year from overhead. I loaded the straightest bar I could find in the creeping morning light. There it lay, an Olympic bar and a 45-pounder -- a wheel -- one on each side, 135 pounds.
I did a second set of benches to continue my warm-up. Felt good, real good. Revisiting the platform, I stood over the handsome construction and rolled it forward and back with my foot. Impulsively I bent over, grasped the weight, pulled it to my shoulders and pressed it overhead for reps. I was testing the small mass, kicking tires, squeezing melons at the market. Felt good, real good.
Sitting again at the bench press, I felt my gaze return to the platform. It was irresistible. The bench press suddenly seemed one-dimensional compared to the overhead press, incomplete, less engaging, not as expressive or interesting. The standing press was tougher and more critical. I found myself adding another wheel to each side. It was Monday, not my favorite day, but I was fresh.
I cleaned the 225, pressed it for two reps and returned it to its place on the hard rubber mats. Delightful.
I’d done bent-over rows seriously, heavy reverse curls regularly and my benches weren’t bad, but I wasn’t real familiar with overhead pressing. You might say this was the beginning.
I was now circling the gym floor with my belt in hand, searching for chalk. In the Dungeon, chalk was stashed out of sight by the hardcore who liked the white-powder ritual and needed the gripping advantage. I slid a 25 on each side, made the appropriate clang and locked the weight in place with thick collars. I squinted at the pile like it was trouble and resumed my hunt. The floor was still empty, grey had replaced the blackness and I was hot with sweat and cold with its evaporation.
I confronted the well-balanced and thickening heap of iron with respect, my attitude taking on the gravity of the weight before me. The objective was to move the weight to my shoulders in one sudden surge of power, make some quick and sure adjustments, and press the mass steadily overhead till the arms were locked and the torso stable and upright -- hold it for a couple of seconds and sensibly return it to the platform. I’d practiced this procedure half a dozen times earlier in the spring with less weight and less intensity. No problem. I was younger then and it was less important than now.
Deep breath, grasp, clean and press. Job done well with arms reaching and the weight close to the sky. I hear the sound of life in the distance, a figure doing chins a mile away. The day has begun.
I know what I have to do. Off comes the quarter and on goes another 45. The plates are made tight with a rumble one side at a time, the heavy collars are locked in place and the bar is brushed with chalk. I tug on the mass for good measure and turn to the process of preparing and psyching for the battle: belt, pacing, standing, considering and chalking. Self-consciousness is fought, doubt is beaten off, extraneous thoughts are eliminated and energy is focused; these the toughest aspects of the battle.
Seeking a culmination of all that is positive and enthusiastic and good and right, I bend over to do it again.
This, the lifting of an impossible weight on a bar, is not something we repeat. Each time is the first time, if it is any good. The procedures have a sameness and continuity about them -- position the body, bend, grasp, clean, press and return -- but the fury between each step is always new, spontaneous and redefining. Man against steel, steel against man, man against himself. We’ve got our hands full, crew.
I did it with back-breaking fullness. I staggered briefly after the clean, my legs remained locked as I pressed and, yes, I leaned like an oak in high winds, but I did not stall or jerk or otherwise falter. I pulled and reached and reached and stood for blinding seconds before lowering the weight, letting it go a foot from its resting place.
When you’re alone after a remarkable success, satisfaction and gratefulness whirl in your mind with no place to go. They were self-contained, while colorful flashes and mad sounds of rushing filled my head and a wonderful ache flooded my pulsating body. I did it, I whispered with an insufficient shrug: recuperate, oxygenize.
I was leaning on my arms, breathing smoothly and staring at my recently acquired friend, 315 pounds of steel, when someone called out from the center of the gym floor. I turned and there’s Jack Hughes, a wiry lifter from a generation gone by who was then a coach and judge of powerlifting and Olympic lifting contests on the coast. “Good lift, Draper,” he said, “don’t see too many guys pressing 325 at 7 o’clock on a Monday morning.”
I thanked him without pretension, being a very young member of a very old club. I also pointed out I had 315 pounds on the bar. He pointed out I had 325 on the bar and hadn’t accounted for the 10 pounds of lock-tight collars. He left, and I did it again. 
True stories don’t grow on trees. Today I couldn’t roll 325 pounds across the floor even if I succeeded loading it on a bar in the first place. That doesn’t make me a bum, ya know. I’m still a bomber.
Once a bomber, always a bomber. May the wind beneath your wings lift you higher and higher.
God’s speed... Dave
F

epic is back

• Getbig V
  • It is only in darkness that light is brightest
« Reply #288 on: June 13, 2022, 03:06:40 PM »
i feel sorry for the server

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #289 on: June 14, 2022, 06:50:15 AM »

&t=21s
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #290 on: June 14, 2022, 12:26:35 PM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #291 on: June 15, 2022, 07:00:21 AM »

&t=20s   
&t=2s
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #292 on: June 15, 2022, 07:01:21 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #293 on: June 15, 2022, 03:00:54 PM »
   "I might want to be somewhere else, but I grip the weights and there I am." ~ Dave Draper
Dave DePew is a powerlifter, strongman (also a strong man) competitor and a grip guy who owns the Grinder Gym in San Diego. He did an interview series for a while and brought Dave into the mix in January of 2005. I think you'll enjoy his questions. The picture is from our first photo session, 1987, that sort of started all of this. Let's go:
Q) Dave, what motivated you to pick up your first dumbbell?
A) Actually, it was an assortment of plates bearing the name “Weider,” clustered on one 16-inch bar and secured with a red collar on each end -- my first set of weights, secondhand, dusted with rust and costing my life savings of $5.00 at 10 years old. I was already an old hand at musclebuilding (though I didn’t know it), having done chins and dips and pushups since I could count the reps.
Why did I do this? I liked the resistance, I guess. The movement and balance, the play and physical challenge were fun. Come to think of it, they no doubt gave me an endorphin high, a feeling of wellbeing and the sense of accomplishment that please everyone, young and old, should they stumble upon them.
I wanted to be strong like a man, and as I grew older and more aware, I wanted to look like a man, rugged and ready. I saw those features in Chuck, the guy who worked on construction projects for the small town of Secaucus where I grew up. He wore t-shirts with the sleeves cut off, and his arms and shoulders bulged like melons. Chuck worked hard and lifted weights and nobody messed with him. He was a nice guy.
Q) As a young kid, did you ever think you would have accomplished all you did?
A) I look back at my life and it looks like a minefield. I’m amazed I have fingers and toes where they belong. When I was a kid, I never thought about the future, each day containing enough for me to consider and shoulder.
I love life and my family with all my might, and thank God for anything good I did or do, and I take sole responsibility for all the bad. Lifting weights and winning Mr. America and surviving two-thirds of a century are pretty cool. 
Q) Are you a fan of supersetting?
A) Superset and multi-set training have been popular with me since my early training days in the Muscle Beach Dungeon, 1963 through 1966. I apply and enjoy the rewards of single-set training and find them invaluable, but 75 percent of my routine is composed of supersets. I find them more involving, exciting, conditioning and muscle-building; there’s less downtime and I maintain tighter focus. I build a valuable training momentum, condense the workout time and generally achieve greater training intensity and muscle overload.
My supersets can be same-muscle or opposing-muscle combinations, and, as I do with most exercises, I complete five sets of each multi-set combination.
Examples might be:
Same muscle – Standing barbell curl supersetted with reverse curls
Opposing muscle – Bench press and wide-grip pulldown
Q) What do you think of implements like kettlebells and clubbells?
A) These are examples of original strength and conditioning devices recently re-popularized for building muscle and might, but I haven’t personally used them in my training. I’d seek their benefits if I was younger, more flexible and attending fewer injuries, and if my basic weight training wasn’t so fully satisfying.
There are other gadgets to satisfy the fickle and bored consumer in the exercise world, but few are needed and most are a distraction. We’ve got bulging exercise balls and wobbly wobble boards and super inclinable benches that look like individualized spacecraft; and then there’s the electronic aerobic equipment, new models every year, like autos off Detroit assembly lines... only with more features.
Call me old-fashioned, but give me barbells and dumbbells, a simple pulley system, a cage and some benches and I’m a happy musclehead.
Q) How do you train today?
A) Not much different than I did in the ‘60s when training for major competitions. I achieved the muscle mass long ago and do what I can to maintain it into my older years. I’ll be 63 in April (2005). I actually train harder per workout than I did 40 years ago, with more appreciation and enjoyment. Go figure.
I’ve accumulated injuries and their pain and limitations. My strength in pressing is half what it was, and daily I stare age in the face like a troublesome houseguest. Nevertheless, my workouts are geared around persistent attitudes and motives of improving and gaining, as well as surviving. It works... more or less.
In the ‘60s, I trained six days a week without fail, and until only a few years ago, five days a week was my plan -- recovery the element determining my cutback. Today, I train four days a week for two hours each workout. Perfect. I have a scheme whereby I work every muscle group twice a week, midsection each session and include some 35 to 40 total sets of barbell, dumbbell and cable work – or 7 to 8 exercises, five sets each. The reps range from 15 to 20 on certain exercises and 6 to 12 on most.
Every three weeks or so, I practice heavy deadlifts or squats. I stick to the basics, often performed with some weird improvised groove to accommodate an injury, and I avoid heavy bench presses because they’re notoriously tough on the shoulders. Dumbbells are superior in my opinion (clue).
I am what’s called a “volume trainer,” if you’re into naming techniques. I’ve gone down a lot of roads looking for a better way to build muscle… and keep coming back home where I started, where I like it.
There’s something about the weights and a continuing interest in them: They keep you from growing up entirely. They’re like neat yet tedious toys that we’ve refused to surrender. Kids never let go.
Q) Who gave you the nickname the “Blond Bomber”?
A) 42 years ago (1963) I moved from Jersey to California to represent Joe Weider at his newly opened Santa Monica office. There I worked side by side with a redheaded guy with big arms and a big heart and a left hand that could write smart prose and fun stories. His name was Dick Tyler and he wrote prolifically about the popular west coast bodybuilding champs, their training and their daily lives. His material appeared in Joe’s various muscle magazines for seven years as the column called “West Coast Bodybuilding Scene.” The entire golden era was recorded by Dick with his insight, wit and brightness -- how lucky we are today for this unique preservation of history. He told tall tales about everyone from Grimek, Pearl and Parks to Don Howorth, Larry Scott and me to Arnold, Franco and Zane.
Dick named me "the Blond Bomber" and Arnold "the Oak."
Read about it all in Dick’s recent and very cool book, West Coast Bodybuilding Scene, packed with rare pictures, inspiration, history and fun. It’s a blast from the past.
Q) I understand it, back in the day you helped bring Arnold to the US and show him around the scene. What type of friendship did the two of you have? Did you work out together or was that mostly for the magazines?
A) Weider bought Arnold to the USA. A handful of bodybuilders from Vince’s and, especially, Joe Gold’s gym made Arnold welcome. That’s the way it was in those days. Arnold stepped off the plane and into a home and family when he arrived on the west coast. Arnold, with his open nature -- observant and insightful yet naïve and young -- became a companion of everyone. Remember, the bodybuilding scene was less crowded then. In fact, there was no crowd at all.
Arnold and I hit it off well, though my quiet, private manner (neuroses) and being a family man kept us from hanging out regularly. It wasn’t long after Arnold’s arrival that we shared odd and demanding experiences in training and travel, the kind that bind two people, and our mutual respect hammered the bond home.
We met on and off at Joe Gold’s gym in Venice and worked out as our schedules allowed and our training demands required. Our training philosophies were identical -- hard work, voluminous and heavy -- and we complemented and boosted each other without submitting to schoolboy competition.
Artie Zeller the Great caught us -- all of us -- in real action at Joe Gold’s gym during our competition training during the summer of 1970. The place was alive and buzzing: all work, no play, no music, no gadgets, no wimps.
Today, the Governor gets my vote and he works for me day after day.
Q) How did your training styles vary from other bodybuilders and what similarities did you have in your approach to building your physique compared to your friends?
A) Training was straightforward in the early days of bodybuilding -- 40, 50 and 60 years ago -- with the basic movements commanding the lifter’s attention. I observed the advanced trainers around me at the Muscle Beach Dungeon -- Zabo, Eifferman, several reigning Mr. Cal and Southern Cal winners, shared ideas with Vince’s Gironda’s adherents -- Scott, Howorth, Mackey and Vince himself -- extracted information from Bill Pearl on his training approach, and put the various methodologies to the test. From there, I distilled a training style that has altered little over the years. Those modifications have been simple and based only on time and injury.
We all trained hard and heavy, yet the gang from the Valley didn’t squat, spent less time in the gym and complemented their workouts with more finesse training -- cables, angles, partial movements and isolation.  (They used their brains.)
Pearl and his training partners were brutes who trained seriously first thing in the morning for two hours, six days a week with six-week rotations. Heavy benches, dumbbell work, deadlifts, rows, curls and weighted dips comprised the substance of their workouts. They were street smart and used their muscles. The Muscle Beach boys trained as one would for functioning well in the jungle or Hollywood or on the beach. They buried themselves in the basics for hours when the sun and moon were right and the milk and meat sandwiches in their brown bags held out. They were animals.
I leaned toward the Pearl School of Musclebuilding: early morning, six days a week, two hours of madness each day, with six weeks before varying routines.
The more, the better is the theory of the obsessed and self-doubting. (Moi)
By the time Arnold, Franco and Zane arrived in town, I’d proven to myself the worth of my sluggo training and allowed instinct to move me more easily about the gym floor. Arnold, Zane, Franco and I could and would train together when it was convenient, wise or we got the urge. Our training techniques were similar and evolving and, by then, loose enough. We seriously blasted it.
In the late ‘60s and ‘70s, we saw the machines move onto the gym floor like creaking metal-armed invaders from another planet, plus more personalities (invaders from remote earth) and increased innovation (harebrained schemes). Training principles I could never buy into started mocking tradition and appealing to the trainer looking for faster, less-committed methods of lifting. Here I’m talking about training once or twice a week with a few sets to some sort of indefinable failure, workouts boasting incredible mass and muscularity accomplished on a cambered pulley machine for a total of eight sets of six reps once in a while.
The less, the better is the theory of the crafty and mad.
Q) To whom do you attribute your success in bodybuilding? Is there one person who stands out the most?
A) You must mean someone other than Joe Weider, to whom most bodybuilders, like it or not, must attribute their exposure and eventual worldwide prominence and popularity. He’s the guy with the mags. I say this not to slight John Balik or Bob Kennedy and a few others who solidly contribute to the bodybuilding publication world, but Joe was the first on the block.
Let’s see: There’s Leroy Colbert and his big arms, big smile and great friendship; George Eifferman for welcoming me warmly to Muscle Beach; Russ Warner and Artie Zeller for their friendship, counsel and cameras; Ray Raridon (NSP) for convincing me I could win Mr. America; Dick Sweet (Mr. California, 1962) for teaching me how to train in the Dungeon years; Zabo for being cool; Carlin Venice for helping me lick my wounds, and my loyal dog, Rufus.
You know how it is. Where there’s a life, there are numerous lives supporting it. Each stands out at one time or another. Chuck and his jackhammer and tight t-shirt, Steve Reeves pictured on a movie poster racing a chariot, my high school coach who called me “Arms,” the bully in junior high, my mom...
Q) If I wanted to spend a few days training with you what would I need to do?
A) Ask yourself, “Why? This guy is losing his hair; he’s stubborn, impolite, silent and hasn’t a clue how to share. He hasn’t trained with anybody for 15 years (no one dares to or cares ), thus, his social skills have seriously deteriorated and his communication has been reduced to grunts and nods.”
Maybe you should visit the gym one day as an out-of-towner and secretly observe me and my antics for an hour before further considering the absurd idea. Life’s short.
Q) What are you most proud of in your life?
A) Proud of? Hmmm... Other than my personal charm and boyish good looks, I would have to say that having retained a position of reasonable respect and prominence in the world of bodybuilding, muscle and might after all these years is pretty okay. I guess it’s called history, and sharing the gilded stage (when the world was still thought to be flat) with Grimek and Reeves, Bill Pearl, Zabo and Reg Parks, Scott and Howorth, Arnold and Franco, Zane and Katz is extraordinary.
The past gives way to the future present, which is now.
The internet has afforded us the grand opportunity of communicating and sharing and learning and growing and inspiring. I’m proud of Laree, my amazing wife, who’s embraced the muscle and power world since Rachael and Cory stole the stage. She singlehandedly created the davedraper.com website composed of 2,800 pages of musclebuilding information, health news, nutritional guidelines, facts, updates and menus, fascinating pictures, motivation, inspiration and philosophy. But wait, there’s more. The IronOnline discussion board pops up on the website and is more fun, endearing, informative and downright enriching to scads of iron aficionados who might otherwise be silent and alone. Laree, with her friendly online support group, heads up the micro extravaganza, and a large family of living and loving muscleheads has emerged.
They’re called bombers who love to fly, soar and glide, depending on visibility, fuel, mood and atmospheric pressure.
Q) What are you most appreciative of in your life?
A) Besides family and friends, Christ and his salvation, I appreciate that I’ve endured. I’m still ready, willing and able to train with eagerness and gusto after half a century of pounding, clanging, counting, gasping, burning, pumping, ripping, tearing, lifting, extending, contracting, pain, boredom and disappointment.
I should get a gold-plated watch for faithful service.
Or maybe get my head examined.   
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #294 on: June 18, 2022, 01:06:14 PM »

&t=24s
F

oldgolds

• Getbig IV
« Reply #295 on: June 19, 2022, 05:58:24 AM »
The whole thing is a farce....Men   taking dangerous drugs to build abnormal muscles and strength, standing on a stage posing in their underwear to an audience of other Men, many of them gay.  They talk about their bodies and health while injecting hormones in their butts...It's a sick obsession that people like to glamorize..

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #296 on: June 20, 2022, 05:25:42 AM »

&t=8s
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #297 on: June 22, 2022, 04:02:34 AM »
   I’d rather draw a map than read one. I’d rather arrive last, but on my own and by an original route." ~ Dave Draper
For years, John Koenig was a writer for T-Nation, who added depth to the T-Nation writer's bench. We got to know him a bit over the years at our annual Arnold Classic meetups. This is a T-Nation interview he did with Dave in 2004. Here's John:
We don't throw around the term "living legend" much around here because not many people deserve such accolades. But T-Nation recently sat down with a man who just might fit the bill: Dave Draper.
Known as the Blond Bomber, Dave Draper is an icon from what many consider the Golden Age of bodybuilding. During his competitive career in the 1960s, Dave won just about every title there was to win. He acted in movies, appeared on TV, wrote books and visited dozens of different countries as a good will ambassador for bodybuilding. But do you know what really separates Dave from other legendary bodybuilders?
He never quit.
Today, when most men his age are picking out a rocking chair, Dave continues to preach the gospel of iron. Blissfully unaware of his age and always in ripped condition, the Bomber continues to write, teach, deadlift, squat and kick serious butt in the gym.
T-Nation felt it was time to sit down with Dave and absorb some of that hard-earned wisdom.
T-Nation: How old are you, Dave, and when did you get started in bodybuilding?
Dave Draper: I was born in Secaucus, New Jersey on April 16th, 1942. I’m 62. For five bucks I purchased my first set of battered weights at age 10. I messed with them as most kids do with baseballs and footballs and became seriously consistent at 15 years old. That was 47 years ago!
T-Nation: Has your mindset about weight training changed over the decades?
Draper: Not exactly. I trust over the years I’ve grown up somewhat emotionally and psychologically and increased my training and nutritional understanding. My desire, need and ability to train vigorously have continued to grow with my appreciation for life. Standing back, nothing’s new.
T-Nation: In a nutshell, give us your basic philosophy about training.
Draper: I train knowing I'm aging by the minute. I want to pursue my training for the health and fun of it, the interest and challenge of it, and to see how well I can fend off diminishing while adjusting to the inevitable.
I’m curious and it’s my business. As long as I have the spirit, energy, enthusiasm and time, I’ll use my daily abilities to play the weightlifting game. It's my hobby, a diversion and an expression. When it becomes one dimensional, unhealthy in mind and body, unappealing and otherwise negative, I'll adjust accordingly.
I enjoy training hard, but I'll pull back when the physical and intuitive signs tell me to. I’m still seeing good things happen along with the less-than-good things. Some lifts are better than ever and there's new muscle growth here and there, though this may end tomorrow or the next day. Until then, I’ll push that iron with the power of experience and love.
T-Nation: Amen to that! What are your general thoughts on nutrition?
Draper: I established sound eating habits long ago: regular portions of high protein foods (meat, fish, poultry, dairy and eggs), lots of salads, sufficient fruits, grains and herbs, fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants... the muscle builder's sacred lineup. Eat frequently (every three hours) throughout the day from body-up to body-down, and get two grams of protein per pound of bodyweight if you're a hard trainer.
Also, avoid sugars, saturated fats and junk foods. No gorging! Food is fun and a magnificent source of life and energy; it's not an entertainment or obsession. I simply don’t desire to eat in ways that aren't healthy in serving the body. In fact, I repel them.
T-Nation: How does all this compare to when you were competing in the 1960s?
Draper: Joyful exercise and sound eating have been practiced since my early training days at the Dungeon in the 60s. There I discovered and adopted most of my understanding of exercise and nutrition. Over the years, there have been ebbs and flows, ups and downs. One experiments, one experiences, one fails and succeeds and carries on.
My eating habits today are as they were in the 60s, only tighter and more highly appreciated. My workouts are similar to my robust training then, only tighter and more highly appreciated. Basically, what was then is now, with little deviation, improvement or evolvement, despite the so-called superior technology and hysterical race for more and better.
The answer and the joy are in the iron, sound eating, hard work, consistency and courage. No secrets, nothing new, just be strong and do it. It’s you!
T-Nation: How should a middle-aged or older weight trainer eat compared to his training partner in his 20s?
Draper: The answer depends on many variables: comparative body weight, rate of metabolism, training zeal, number of training years invested and so on. If the muscle is there, the physical condition is sound and the training is tight, the middle-aged man can do as he pleases (or as he knows best), regardless of his partner’s habits. Train hard and feed the body. Age isn't a single and exact determining factor.
Given both men are equal, the younger man most likely has advantages in flexibility, hormone balance, tissue building and repair, and he can most likely train harder with less risk of injury. He'll probably grow more quickly and is less likely to store fat. The older man might require less food intake (despite high quality nutrition) to avoid adding unwanted body fat while striving to gain muscle mass.
We also know it's not unusual that many younger men aren't nearly as fit as their older counterparts in the gym. They may have years of training and correcting bad dietary habits ahead to catch up to their senior partner.
T-Nation: That's often true. What are the most common dietary mistakes older athletes make?
Draper: Generally, the mistakes made by older athletes are the same as those made by their younger counterparts: not being regular in their dietary disciplines, not feeding themselves adequately before (fuel) or after (repair) a workout session, insufficient protein, too many sugars, not enough water, ignoring the importance of EFAs and not controlling their body fat.
T-Nation: As weight trainers age and their metabolisms change, how should they deal with it?
Draper: A person's metabolism is determined in part by muscle mass relative to overall body mass. More muscle and less fat add up to a keener metabolism. Healthy hormonal activity accompanies an exercised body with a good muscle-to-body fat ratio. Further, the quality of foods ingested affects the body’s chemistry and the metabolic rate, directly and indirectly.
Gets complicated, but the fix is simple. Regularly consume wholesome foods offering peak nutrient advantages; don’t eat sugary, high-glycemic foods that upset the body’s chemistry and don’t overeat. Exercise vigorously daily to build muscle, assist hormone balance, control fat storage and enhance the cardio-respiratory system. These training precepts fortify the body’s entire system and reduce the debilitating stresses.
T-Nation: Can any of the "typical" changes associated with aging be slowed down, stopped or changed?
Draper: Certainly. Body chemistry is complex; body care is simple. Train hard, eat right, be strong and be happy. You’ll live longer and better.
T-Nation: Can't argue with that advice! Now, let's dig deeper into the topic of training. Take us through your basic workout program.
Draper: My training input in time and in strength has diminished as I’ve gotten older. No surprise there. The first heavy, formative years were dominated by six-day-a-week training programs. I’ve never laid off, though sickness at about age 40 caused me to halt my training for four months.
The past 20 years have been hard and steady, as we built three gyms and established a lively website. Since I turned 60, I've trained four days a week for two hours each workout. The workouts are as intense as they were when I was younger, only modified and limited in poundages to accommodate age and pain factors. I make up for the limitations with determination, focus and maximum muscle exertion. Here's what my program looks like:
Day 1) Midsection, chest, back and shoulders. I have a variety of basics I rely on from dumbbell presses to Smith press-behind-necks, from cable crossovers to bent-over barbell rows. I do five sets of 12, 10, 8, 6, and 4 reps of each exercise, and I superset frequently.
Each workout includes 35 to 40 total sets plus crunches, leg raises, rope tucks and hanging leg raises for the gut. I currently do no direct aerobics exercise, accomplishing sufficient cardio work through the 20-minute, non-stop midsection work and superset training regimen.
Day 2) Midsection and arms, maybe farmers’ walks. I superset bis and tris and perform lots of forearm work. I can pull well — curls and back work — but pressing and tris are a drag. Strength’s okay; pain is the limiting factor.
Day 3) Midsection and legs. Leg press, squats, extensions, curls, calves. I might squat heavy one day every three weeks: singles, doubles.
Day Off
Day 4) After midsection, I practice a mix of favorite movements to cover the whole body: thick-bar deadlifts for grip strength and back health, heavy bent-over rows for back density, thigh-glute-ham work supersetted with stiff-arm pullovers, press-behind-neck and pulldowns to behind the neck for additional lat and shoulder-width work. I might deadlift heavy once every three weeks using singles and doubles.
This four-day treatment hits everything directly or sufficiently twice a week.
T-Nation: Those are some lengthy workouts with a lot of sets. You're still training like that today?
Draper: I still count on volume to accomplish the work I set out to do. This allows more finesse in exercise movement and expression, and gives me better control of "danger" overload factors. Rhythm and muscle sensations, extensions and contractions, locating muscular effort and resistance, and developing and experiencing internal muscle energy are most desirable, efficacious and exciting.
I also like singles and low-rep training interspersed throughout the weeks and months of training. The body, mind and soul call for it sometimes.
T-Nation: Any training-related injuries?
Draper: I’ve endured injuries to the right rotator cuff and biceps with resulting nerve damage affecting the right elbow and wrist. I attribute them to a harsh fall while running 25 years ago, decades of heavy use as woodworker and, of course, the continuous overload of years of hard weight training.
T-Nation: How do you work around chronic pain or injury?
Draper: I had extensive open-surgery repairs on the shoulder and biceps done in ’95 to fix what could be fixed. Now I work around the pain, use wraps and take Vioxx for associated arthritis. I’ve added chondroitin, glucosamine and MSM, and substantial essential fatty acids to my already smart nutritional program.
"Working around the pain" is personal. The extent to which an injured trainee pursues advancement depends on psychological needs and desires, the scope of the damage, the understanding of the body and  fortitude. Some call it madness because sometimes, well, it is!
I seek chiropractic treatment occasionally when something feels misplaced. I don’t doubt the benefits of deep-massage therapy, acupuncture and regular chiropractic treatment from fine practitioners when the symptoms call for it. I've had limited experience in those types of treatment, but their value is logical.
T-Nation: Do you still consistently lift heavy? Is your definition of "heavy" different now than it was 20 years ago?
Draper: Heavy, like Elvis, has left the building! I train consistently hard; that is, I seek maximum or near-maximum muscle exertion within each set and final rep. I take exertion intensity to the edge — to the risk of injury. Sometimes, especially in pressing where my injury limitation is most evident, the weight isn't nearly as significant as the effort to move it. One learns to compromise and be grateful.
Squatting, deadlifting and direct pulling aren't bad at all. I regularly call upon strength in these areas for the fun and muscle building effect it produces.
T-Nation: Are rest days incorporated more often into your program than they used to be?
Draper: Years of accumulated training and overload, age itself, and having achieved reasonable muscular development necessitate I train less intensely. I have less muscle building requirements and potential, and repair and recuperation are less efficient.
Though the spirit is willing, the body is less willing. This is life and quite acceptable. I treasure rest to combat fatigue and allow continued hard training. It’s a must.
I train fewer days a week and will throw in an extra day or two of rest if necessary, especially if I get rocking and rolling on a training high and exceed my bounds, which is easy to do.
T-Nation: How do you know when you need an additional day off?
Draper: First, it’s obvious to my common sense — too much time in the gym, too much weight handled, too many exercises, sets and reps. Second, I pay attention to post-workout fatigue and note if I'm just plain tired. Third, I watch for general aches and pains that aren't real injuries — stinging insertions, slugged muscle bellies. Fourth, the appearance of DOMS is a bad sign since I don't usually get that.
There’s also restlessness and loss of appetite. No rocket scientist is needed to tell a lifter to back off, rest, relax and rebuild. However, it sometimes takes a ruthless brute with a big stick to keep him out of the gym and away from the iron.
T-Nation: Very true! Are your rest periods between sets longer than they used to be?
Draper: They are, mainly to account for wrapping and unwrapping the wrist and elbow. I can no longer grab a pair of dumbbells and jump right into a set. I have to locate the particular groove through which I can travel safely and pain free. This requires concentration and a slower, more focused performance. I call it "care and attention." I move like a locomotive switching cars from track to track: slow, steady, direct and purposeful.
T-Nation: What role should cardio play as weight trainers age?
Draper: You can run, but you can’t hide. Muscle building is achieved through weight training and resistance exercise, and they should receive priority. As we grow older and wiser, thank God, we're able to assess, adapt and modify exercises and exercising output according to our ability, desire and need. This becomes a personal juggling act for each of us. I’ve got about six balls in the air right now.
Personally, I've put direct aerobic activity on the sidelines while I focus on the weights. As pointed out earlier, my midsection activity, squatting and supersetting serve my aerobic purpose. A person can’t smartly do it all, and I want to reserve the cycling and jogging for a time when extra conditioning is called for. Right now the addition of jogging or such isn't what I need and it would be too much for my body to handle.
I'm an exception to the rule. Aerobics should be 20 percent of a hardy lifter’s workout. Twenty minutes HIIT style stationary cycling three or four times a week is my aim in the future.
T-Nation: What common mistakes do you see older trainees making in the gym?
Draper: A big mistake is to allow your training to become perfunctory and uninspired. Another mistake an older trainee may make is coming back after too long a layoff and blasting it like he was 25. Worst of all, of course, is quitting entirely, never to be seen again. Unforgivable!
T-Nation: What kind of supplements do you recommend?
Draper: I take a high quality vitamin and mineral formula, therapeutic dosages of glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM, pre and post-workout whey protein drinks, creatine and added EFAs. I have bottles, jugs and pills everywhere.
T-Nation: Don't we all! Now, the baby boomers are the largest part of the population. They're going to live the longest, remain active for the most years, and demand the most activities. How does weight training play into this situation?
Draper: The baby boomer might live longer, but unless he exercises and eats right, he won't do it well. There isn’t a closet big enough to hide the obese condition of the world population. Men and women and boys and girls, regardless of hemisphere, are either overweight, under-muscled or otherwise out of shape. Find five out of hundred who are ready, able and fit and you've discovered a vein of precious population, a hidden treasure.
It’s the poor nutritional habits and lack of exercise that account for the dismal shape we’re in. It’s also TV, Hollywood, dope-booze-cigarettes-candy, high-technology's high-speed negative influence on human behavior and contentment, warring national politics, terrorist extremist global war, excessive tolerance compromising morals and rightness, and the devil at large casting the disorder. We're a mess. Train hard, eat right and do your best.
T-Nation: Dave, you're 62, you don't currently do aerobics, and your body doesn't look all that much different through the years. The average guy is going to look at you and say, "Steroids!" Are you still using them?
Draper: No steroids, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Seriously, thanks for the compliment from the cynical few who care. It's not steroids; it's training with intensity, never missing and never eating donuts.
I also have congestive heart failure. I wish I could do a round of the old-fashioned stuff to get a little freaky, but I'd probably die. Fact is, I have a couple of outstanding veins on my forearms and folks think I'm ripped all over. I weigh 225 today, as compared to 235 when in top competitive shape.
The only secret is I’m consistent where others might not be. And I have no life, friends or pets. That's a lie: I have a cat.
T-Nation: Some people reading this may think a few of your ideas about bodybuilding are dated. What would you say to them?
Draper: What I offer is my own straightforward muscle madness based on experience above all else. I'm not a scholar. I believe that contributes to a more honest and accurate training methodology. I feel less corrupted by the fiction and biases, suppositions and laws of training developed by well-read researchers, clinicians and avant-garde pros.
I’d rather draw a map than read one. I’d rather arrive last, but on my own and by an original route. If this sounds bold or arrogant, I apologize. I call it intellectually lazy, impulsive, rebellious, disorderly and stubborn — traits I share with other older muscle builders and children of all ages.
T-Nation: Stubborn or not, we hope we look as good as you do at 62! Thanks for talking to us today.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #298 on: June 22, 2022, 06:16:51 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #299 on: June 22, 2022, 11:30:30 AM »

F