Author Topic: odds and ends [bodybuilding related.  (Read 77590 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: odds and ends [bodybuilding related.
« Reply #400 on: August 23, 2022, 03:25:43 PM »

&t=54s 
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #401 on: August 24, 2022, 09:01:25 AM »

&t=1686s   
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #402 on: August 29, 2022, 05:56:51 AM »
   DR. ELLINGTON DARDEN ... BODYBUILDER  / WRITER / INVENTOR OF H. I. T.
Ellington Darden earned his Bachelor's degree in physical education from Baylor University, where he played defensive lineman for their football team for two years. In 1972, he earned   his doctorate degree in Exercise Science and completed 2 years of postdoctoral study in food and nutrition studies at Florida State University.
Darden competed in AAU bodybuilding contests between 1963-1972 and won 17 titles including the 1969 Mr. Texas, 1970 Mr. South, and the 1972 Collegiate Mr. America awards.
From 1973, Ellington was Director of Developement and Research at Nautilus Sports/Medicine Industries for 20 years. He assisted in the development and popularization of the Nautilus exercise machines, which had been invented by Nautilus founder Arthur Jones. The line of equipment was among the first exercise machines to go into gyms.
In 1989, Darden was named as one the ten health leaders by the President's Council on Sports Fitness and Nutrition. (PCSFN)
Darden advocates training harder and shorter and is credited with inventing the style of fitness training known as H. I. T. or High Intensity Training. While Arthur Jones pioneered this style in the 1960's, Darden , who started working with Jones in 1972, invented the acronym H. I. T. and poplarized the technique through his numerous books, articles and lectures.
Darden explains in his 2004 book, "The New High Intensity Training", that he first used the H I. T. acronym in a lecture where he, Arthur Jones and Casey Viator (1971 AAU Mr. America) traveled to a seminar at Duke University in 1975.
Bodybuilders who achieved success by using H. I. T. included the likes of
Casey Viator, Dorian Yates and Sergio Oliva.
The H. I. T. system of training emphasizes lifting to failure, supersets, assisted reps and negative training (focusing on the negative portion of the movement).
H. I. T. changed the fitness industry and the pros and cons of this style of training has been debated ever since.           
In 1975, Darden participated in the well known study at the United States Military Accademy at Westpoint named  Project Total Conditioning, where  members of the football team achieved impressive results training with a short duration, high intensity, training program. The athletes received an average 60% strength increase over the 6 week program.
Invited by Arthur Jones, Don Shula, the coach of the Miami Dolphins, came for a day of the training at Westpoint and gave a motivating speech to the athetes. In 1971, Shula had installed Nautilus machines and adopted H. I. T. for the Dolphins. In 1972, they became the only NFL team to win the Super Bowl with a perfect season.
Darden has written over 400 articles and more than 40 books on health, strength training, weight loss and nutrition, which have sold over 7 milllion copies.
Ellington's most successful books include: The Nautilus Book (Contemporay Books, 1980), which sold over 700,000 copies, The Nautilus Bodybuilding Book (Contemporary Books, 1982), with 500,000 copies sold (and forward written by 1978 Mr. Universe winner Mike Mentzer), and The Nautilus Diet (Little Brown, 1987), with 250,000 copies sold.
In 2022, Dr. Ellington Darden continues "going strong" as someone who has left a permanent mark on the fitness industry and has been widely recognized by his peers, which a large portion of the general public is unaware of.
F

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Cruising on caffeine and blasting with melatonin
« Reply #403 on: August 29, 2022, 06:15:01 AM »
Random thought....

If it weren't for Ronnie Coleman, Jay Cutler could've won the Mr. Olympia from 01 to 2010.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #404 on: August 29, 2022, 06:54:41 AM »
Random thought....

If it weren't for Ronnie Coleman, Jay Cutler could've won the Mr. Olympia from 01 to 2010.

and Dexter....

tatoo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #406 on: August 30, 2022, 05:11:05 PM »
   DR. ELLINGTON DARDEN ... BODYBUILDER  / WRITER / INVENTOR OF H. I. T.
Ellington Darden earned his Bachelor's degree in physical education from Baylor University, where he played defensive lineman for their football team for two years. In 1972, he earned   his doctorate degree in Exercise Science and completed 2 years of postdoctoral study in food and nutrition studies at Florida State University.
Darden competed in AAU bodybuilding contests between 1963-1972 and won 17 titles including the 1969 Mr. Texas, 1970 Mr. South, and the 1972 Collegiate Mr. America awards.
From 1973, Ellington was Director of Developement and Research at Nautilus Sports/Medicine Industries for 20 years. He assisted in the development and popularization of the Nautilus exercise machines, which had been invented by Nautilus founder Arthur Jones. The line of equipment was among the first exercise machines to go into gyms.
In 1989, Darden was named as one the ten health leaders by the President's Council on Sports Fitness and Nutrition. (PCSFN)
Darden advocates training harder and shorter and is credited with inventing the style of fitness training known as H. I. T. or High Intensity Training. While Arthur Jones pioneered this style in the 1960's, Darden , who started working with Jones in 1972, invented the acronym H. I. T. and poplarized the technique through his numerous books, articles and lectures.
Darden explains in his 2004 book, "The New High Intensity Training", that he first used the H I. T. acronym in a lecture where he, Arthur Jones and Casey Viator (1971 AAU Mr. America) traveled to a seminar at Duke University in 1975.
Bodybuilders who achieved success by using H. I. T. included the likes of
Casey Viator, Dorian Yates and Sergio Oliva.
The H. I. T. system of training emphasizes lifting to failure, supersets, assisted reps and negative training (focusing on the negative portion of the movement).
H. I. T. changed the fitness industry and the pros and cons of this style of training has been debated ever since.           
In 1975, Darden participated in the well known study at the United States Military Accademy at Westpoint named  Project Total Conditioning, where  members of the football team achieved impressive results training with a short duration, high intensity, training program. The athletes received an average 60% strength increase over the 6 week program.
Invited by Arthur Jones, Don Shula, the coach of the Miami Dolphins, came for a day of the training at Westpoint and gave a motivating speech to the athetes. In 1971, Shula had installed Nautilus machines and adopted H. I. T. for the Dolphins. In 1972, they became the only NFL team to win the Super Bowl with a perfect season.
Darden has written over 400 articles and more than 40 books on health, strength training, weight loss and nutrition, which have sold over 7 milllion copies.
Ellington's most successful books include: The Nautilus Book (Contemporay Books, 1980), which sold over 700,000 copies, The Nautilus Bodybuilding Book (Contemporary Books, 1982), with 500,000 copies sold (and forward written by 1978 Mr. Universe winner Mike Mentzer), and The Nautilus Diet (Little Brown, 1987), with 250,000 copies sold.
In 2022, Dr. Ellington Darden continues "going strong" as someone who has left a permanent mark on the fitness industry and has been widely recognized by his peers, which a large portion of the general public is unaware of.

that the ultimate warrior on the cover!

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #407 on: August 31, 2022, 02:05:09 AM »

that the ultimate warrior on the cover!
Looks like him.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #408 on: September 01, 2022, 03:45:26 AM »
  MMI: I read in a previous interview of yours that you weren’t exposed to muscle magazines as a kid. What was it that inspired you to take up weight training, and
was building a great physique a goal of yours in the beginning?
DD: Who remembers? Doesn’t every kid want muscles? Although today most will settle for an iPhone and a Big Gulp. I was barely 10 when muscles and strength caught my eye – the qualities were visible in men on the street in those days – and I thought they looked neat. That’s all it took. I had no desire to be a champion; I just wanted tough shoulders and arms.
MMI: What was it like being married and having a daughter at just nineteen years old? Did it force you to grow up and mature faster than other guys your age?
DD: I don’t think there was anybody dopier or dumber than me at 19. I grew up slow in the ‘50s in the little pig-farming town of Secaucus under the long shadow of the Empire State Building. A family before I was 20 and not yet weaned from my Harley Chopper was a sudden and befuddled acceleration of growing up. The three of us received a lot of support. The Harley ran out of gas. I got a second job.
MMI: I find it fascinating that even though you and your first wife were just 19 and 15 years old when you married, your marriage lasted twenty years. How did you two make it work?
DD: I’ll take no credit for developing a strong marriage. Penny, my first wife, our daughter, Jamie, and I moved from Jersey to California when Jamie was not yet one year old. Hello Santa Monica. The year was 1963. We fought like three bears to survive. There was enough good in Penny and Jamie to exceed the bad in me, a selfish musclehead, and we made it to the safety of 20, 35 and 40 years, respectively. Wins, losses, crowns, bruises. We still love each other.
MMI: Did you find it ironic that the man who represented the ideal California bodybuilder was born and raised in New Jersey?
DD: Who, me?
I mentioned I was dumb and slow to grow. Well, not exactly. Unaware, or “duh,” more accurately defines the first half of my life’s state of mind. I just didn’t get it. I was too busy running, chasing, dodging, scrapping and scraping.
I was both “here and now” and under a rock and a hard place. Dave Draper was always the guy training at 6AM and watching his diet and trying to make a buck without working for The Man. I would work like an animal, but not for The Man. That I was a West Coast beach boy to a world of bodybuilding fans eluded me.
Jersey hung around my neck like a sweaty tank top, and I never mounted a California surfboard. Here’s some possible irony: The only time I went to the beach was in the twilight to remove timber with a saw from beneath an obsolete pier a stone’s throw from Muscle Beach. From those beautifully aged beams I built powerful furniture for the marketplace.
Surf’s up, hang ten, surfin’ safari... What’s that stuff? And, Dave who?
MMI: Once you moved out west, did you ever consider living on the East coast again?
DD: George Eifferman picked me up at LAX in his ’55 Buick Special. They – George and the muscle car -- looked like they came off the same Detroit assembly line. It was the spring of ’63. He dropped me off at Zucky’s Deli on the corner of 5th and Wilshire in Santa Monica where we shared Kosher dill pickles and hot pastrami sandwiches. There were clean streets and palm trees, blue skies and warm breezes, the lush Pacific palisades and a sense of hope. George was an old friend before we finished our first cup of coffee and I remembered New Jersey no more.
Momma bear and baby bear followed me west a month later.
MMI: Your competitive career was relatively brief, lasting just seven years. Why did you stop competing, and do you ever wish you had continued for a few more years?
DD: Did I mention scrapping and scraping and dodging? Training for competition in those days was transitioning from a whim and fancy to a dedicated pursuit. You could participate for fun on lower levels, but it took means and resources when the prize was big and bigger. I endured the first years – Mr. America and Mr. Universe – because I was encouraged by my newly acquired musclehead peers and it seemed like the thing to do. I was this side of 25 and the surf was up, as they say down on the pipeline, and “Why not?” had not entered my mind.
Then the scene changed “like over night, man,” and blue sky turned grey and lost its silver lining. I learned not all that is promised is real and not all that is pursued is worthy. Give me muscles and a heart of gold, not lumps for sale and Man Tan and choreography and glaring and the theme of 2001. Give me muscle, real muscle, and give me a gym at six AM.
A good fit in a tank top and jeans while sitting on a park bench contemplating the sunset beats a Mister Oly crown amid oily bodies on stage in Brooklyn or Ohio anytime, I thought. Maybe I’m lazy or a coward or unaware or negative or a realist or a poor loser or just fund-less and poor.
I wonder sometimes what I could have done had I not tripped over my two left feet: changed the world, become president, built a sky rise out of pier wood, celebrated my 45th wedding anniversary.
Fact is, everything is exactly as it should be, as it is meant to be, thank God.
MMI: If there had been more money in the sport then, with six-figure endorsement contracts for supplements and magazines as well as cash prizes for the big shows, would you have kept competing?
DD: Who knows? Money has a way of screaming in one’s ear. There were allurements and promises dangled before my nose once, but they were extracted quickly when I extended my outstretched hand. I like the solidness of the iron in the hand, not the flimsy promises of rascals promoting it. Reminds me of politics, power and greed, and nothing of broad shoulders, strong backs and well-executed workouts.
MMI: The original Gold’s Gym has taken on a mythical status to those of us that weren’t fortunate enough to be there in the early to mid 1970s. Having been an integral part of that atmosphere, do you ever feel sorry for the rest of us who can only dream of having been there with you?
DD: Forewarning: Draper’s a prejudiced musclehead.
Not really. You care enough to imagine and wonder. You’re tough, you’ll make it. Imagination often can be better than the real thing, though you would not have been disappointed by the atmosphere and the qualities and the learning shared by the bodies in Joe Gold’s Gym, and the Muscle Beach Dungeon, its predecessor. Collectively, the experiences were priceless, real, awesome, inspiring and emotional: the Mona Lisa, Michelangelo’s David, the Holy Writ, the Kilimanjaro. They were the truth.
To those who don’t know the history of the iron, from where and whence muscle was first forged, or who don’t care, I say, it is too bad. It’s like baseball without knowing something about Mickey Mantle or Joe DiMaggio or Willie Mays. They’ll live, but the spirit is missing.   
You’ll find shadows and whispers of the old days in the fading light of old neighborhood gyms.
MMI: Do you have any funny stories from training at Gold’s, or from a competition around that time?
DD: Not as many in the gym as there were on the streets. My favorite was walking from a pro competition in Manhattan late at night with Boyer Coe, Ralph Kroger and a NYC cop and gym owner, Tony Schettino. We were comfortably wired on the evening events, amiable and hungry and en route to a favorite restaurant. A man stood with his date, both fashionably dressed, and stared at a small Honda pressed bumper to bumper between parked cars. No small catastrophe at midnight in the city.
We checked out the scene, nodded knowingly and maneuvered about the captured vehicle, each finding purchase at the appropriate fender. In what was akin to three precisely-timed deadlifts, we hoisted and shifted the car to the middle of the street. It all took place in less than a minute. Hi, goodbye. Like steam rising from subway vents, we were gone.
MMI: You got to meet the King, Elvis Presley. How did that come about, and what were your impressions of him?
DD: I was part of the six-man documentary film crew who toured with Elvis in ’72 – 20 cities, 20 concerts in 21 days, from Albuquerque to Boston. What a rigorous treat. It happens fast, you’re staggeringly busy and you don’t sit around and chat. Elvis and his entourage and band were absolutely great. I saw him arrive in his limo before the evening concert, burst on stage, perform madly and disappear into the night. “Elvis has left the building.” I was everywhere he was to be and everywhere he had just been. When we met a few times – on his jet, at a small gospel rally -- he was there, but he wasn’t. I guess you could say the same for me. I think we would have hit it off if we had another 30 seconds.
MMI: Did you enjoy acting? Why didn’t you pursue it more than you did?
(MONKEES< BEV HILLBILLIES< HOST GLADIATOR DAVE on CHANNEL 9)
DD: I enjoyed it, but again, funding a career in acting while building horseshoe triceps and supporting a family was beyond reach. I fell into a few fun, dramatically powerful (joke) and educating roles, but muscles were not yet broadly appealing. Lose weight, they said, and I said no.
MMI: Did you ever socialize with the Hollywood set? Were they very different from the bodybuilders you trained alongside?
DD: Everyone was different from the bodybuilders I trained alongside. Zabo, Zane, Arnold, Katz, Franco, Eiferman, Steve Merjanian, Artie Zeller. This was a zoo. I did take acting classes in Hollywood for a year and the folks, my age, were quite sane. It was valuable instruction and an enjoyable experience. Larry Scott was a member of the small class. Good stuff.
MMI: Today’s bodybuilders, at least a lot of them, smugly think back on the guys from your era and think they are so much more advanced. But in truth, do you think that the industry has tried to make training and nutrition a lot more complicated than it really is?
DD: Train hard, eat right, be consistent, be positive and grow. You, by your own experience and attention and perseverance, become your own teacher, coach and cheerleader. You and the weights, man. Push that iron. That was yesterday or, perhaps, the day before.
Today everything muscle has been amplified. There are more – a lot more participants and spectators, more – a lot more -- drugs, more hype, more self-proclaimed experts with scientific knowledge, more novel training philosophies and methodologies to fill the pages of mags and books, more career niches created to exploit the lifters and more exaggerated equipment and bizarre nutritional products to “build big muscles fast.”
Some people actually believe all this stuff, depend on it. Stand back, we’re going to burst. A lot of people are confused. Oops! I sound cynical.
MMI: Do you follow the sport today? Are there any physiques that you feel still represent the classical ideals and proportions?
DD: Excuse me. I train as hard as I can and I love it, and I’m not being smug, nor am I apologizing, but I just don’t know who is who from where or when. I knew what was going on when there was a handful of bodybuilders in the ‘60s and two hands full in the ‘70s, but lost my way when they started piling up in the ‘80s and ‘90s.
Laree and I owned a pair of gyms in central California through the ‘90s to 2005 and knew Lee and heard of Ronnie and Jay, but the rest, though magnificent and admirable, are nameless mounds of flesh and oil to me. I’m busy with my own little biceps and a torn rotator cuff.
Now I sound jealous.
MMI: If you had been born in 1972 instead of 1942, do you think you still would have become a bodybuilder?
DD: I don’t think so. The appeal of muscles in the 1950s when I started was real. Thirty years later and I’m growing up in the ‘80s. Hmmm... Not as alluring to my temperament: too common and diluted and bombastic and crowded and showy. To continue the fantasy, I would have trained for rugged muscle, conditioning and health and lived happily ever after.
MMI: Do you ever imagine what you would look like with today’s equipment, supplements, and the wide array of pharmaceuticals that today’s men use?
DD: Never occurred to me.
MMI: Did you and the others from the ‘60s and early ‘70s ever imagine the drugs would get so out of hand in bodybuilding?
DD: I was certain drugs would play a significant role in the growing world of bodybuilding, but I neither expected the bodybuilding world to grow so large in number and industry-magnitude, nor the individuals to grow to such cartoonish proportions as we see today.
Got a second? I see three stages of development -- three separate bodybuilding cultures:
The pre-‘50s and original Muscle Beach era, when bodybuilding was fresh and refreshing. The genuine physical-fitness culture.
Then the muscle scene was captured by the magazine media in the ‘60s and bolted like a barbed stallion. The crowds amassed around the world, lats spread, coconut deltoids grew. The pro bodybuilding culture.
By 2000 muscles that were once a sketched representation of an artist’s wild imagination were now being displayed in lineups at pro bodybuilding contest across the nations. “They” had arrived. The extreme muscular development culture.
Subcultures, in reality. Don’t know where we’re going -- rather, where they’re going.
MMI: Does it bother you to hear about the deaths and major health problems in fairly young men over recent years in our sport?
DD: Sure it does. The sacrifice to become a major player in any pro sport is huge. But the compromises are being made on the streets and in high schools. This is particularly sad and disappointing. A shame. Easy come, easy go. No real growth... the opposite, in fact.
MMI: Something that really comes across in all your writing is your passion for training. Even today, it sounds like you enjoy your time with the iron just as much as you did forty years ago. How can you explain this lifelong passion and how you have kept it burning so strong?
DD:  When I got my little mound of weights at 10, the first thing I thought was big arms. There’s more, I learned. There are chest and shoulders, arms and back.
Why, lifting weights is a sport, a diversion, a hobby and it’s good for you and nobody bothers you. I soon noticed that little mound of weights had a mountain to offer. Lifting the iron physically enables the participant, strengthening his or her muscles and bones, improving function and ability, energy and endurance, resistance and speed. Lift right and you feel good and look good.
It doesn’t stop there. Lifting sensibly requires, and, thus, builds character qualities to be applied to the rest of your life: discipline, patience, perseverance, devotion. I’m rich, we’re rich. The list goes on – resistance exercise improves mental acuity, enhances the entire system, de-stresses, controls obesity and diabetes...
And there’s a bond between the iron-minded mob that cannot be outweighed (puny pun).
Nobody said it was easy. Ironically, that’s another appeal of the weight room. It’s tough. And you quickly learn that which the iron provides surely fades unless you continue the good deed. In that you’ve come to like the good things of life, now you’re hooked. And unlike other aggressive or active sports – football, basketball, baseball, hockey – you can keep the iron moving the rest of your life.
Love it, hate, need it, want it – the iron has a way of getting under your skin and into your blood. And when it doesn’t hurt, it feels great. Come to think of it, it feels great even when it does hurt.
Oh, the fact that Laree and I have developed a faithful band of iron-hoisting internet bombers at davedraper.com
 over the past decade is no small encouragement to my spirit of training. We dare not let each other down.
Finally, there’s nothing like the feeling when the workout is done. I hope the answer is in there somewhere.
MMI: When did you first begin writing for the magazines, and how did your writing career develop as the years went by?
DD: I squeezed out an article or two for IronMan, Muscle and Fitness and Muscle Mag, long after I left the competitive scene. But I began writing regularly for our local newspaper when I opened a gym in Santa Cruz. We needed advertising copy and I wrote a short weekly column on exercise. That morphed into an email newsletter that goes out weekly for our webpage, davedraper.com
, now nine years old.
Since the advent of the webpage in ’99, I’ve written three books devoted to strength and health, Brother Iron Sister Steel, Your Body Revival and Iron on My Mind.
MMI: You still work out regularly. How is your training different now from when you were in your twenties and thirties?
DD: It has remained the same -- volume in sets and reps, supersets and the basic exercises, cables and some machines, power when achievable -- only modified to suit the day and age.
My training boomed in my forties as we settled into gym ownership. Five days a week suited me, two hours a workout, heavy squatting and deadlifting a part of the regimen.
I carried on vigorously through my 50s, cutting back to four days a week as I ventured into my 60s. Three days a week suits me fine today, a spin on the Spin bike in between. I’m 66 on the outside, 13-going-on-17 on the inside.
MMI: Most bodybuilders dream of owning their own gym. As a man that has been there and done that, what were the best and worst parts of running a gym?
DD: Building a gym is the best part. Owning and operating a gym is the worst part.  This is what usually transpires when one daring and committed soul opens a cool gym in a decent neighborhood: A jerk with money opens one across the street and you slave or go out of business.
Was that not the typical case, owning a cool gym can be a blast.
MMI: A lot of us these days have had our troubles with drugs and/or alcohol. I know you went through your issues years ago and got through them. Do you think bodybuilders are particularly susceptible to addiction, as it could be argued that bodybuilding in itself is a form of addiction?
DD: You could be right. Muscleheads – a term of endearment – are some of the best nut jobs I’ve ever met. And we do have issues, no doubt about it. Thank God for the iron or we’d be a real mess.
Draper’s in Isolation B, medicated and in restraints. They took his dumbbells away. Cruel and unusual punishment.
I’m one of those characters who has been clean and sober for 25 years. No wine, no beer or any of that other stuff.
MMI: All in all, are you satisfied with how prevalent the concepts of weight training and good nutrition have become in America today as opposed to forty or fifty years ago, or do you think we still have a long way to go?
DD: Muscles and exercise and good nutrition are everywhere. Health and fitness are in the news every hour and at the magazine rack as you check out your groceries. Health and fitness have become big business.
However, we need a whole lot more people buying into it, that is, making it a lifestyle. And the promise of a healthy and long life begins at youth. We need a lot more health and fitness education and exercise in schools and proper nutrition in the cafeterias and a ban on killer junk food in the hallways. Educate and encourage now, and the next generation might have it right.
The more we are responsible to our physical strength and health, the more we are responsible to one another. And so grows our morals and spiritual might.
Drink your milk, be nice to your mom.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #409 on: September 01, 2022, 03:46:28 AM »
Looks like him.
it is hm he was known as james hellwig in those days.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #410 on: September 01, 2022, 05:08:07 AM »
  How we age (and how we can slow it down)
August 25, 2022  |  No Comments
Aging is an inseparable part of being alive. To live equals aging. There is no escaping the fact that the cells that make up our bodies are not designed to last forever. As they get older and have gone through more cycles of cell division, they function less and less well.

By Willem Koert

Scientists can say little with absolute certainty about the how and why of aging, but that doesn’t stop them from launching theories. In 2016, Portuguese chemists published an exhaustive review article on aging mechanisms, in which they listed 300 theories.[1] We are now a few years further, and this number has undoubtedly only increased since then.

We are not going to confront you with all those theories in this blog. Many of them relate to factors beyond your control. In the first twenty years of the 21st century, for example, anti-aging researchers have devoted a lot of attention to longevity genes that should increase the chance of a long and healthy life. Scientists classify the contribution of our genes to aging as ‘intrinsic aging’.

Intrinsic versus extrinsic aging
Since we are mainly interested in things that we can change, let’s leave the theories about intrinsic aging for what they are. Instead, we focus on theories that might actually help you. These theories are about ‘extrinsic aging’. Extrinsic aging is aging that results from factors that you can influence, such as your lifestyle or the amount of stress you allow in your daily life.

Because scientific media still pays a lot of attention to the role of genes in longevity, it is easy to forget the role of lifestyle factors. Medical scientists estimate that about a quarter of the difference between individuals’ lifespans is due to genetic factors.[2] As far as longevity is concerned, lifestyle and environmental factors may carry more weight than genes.

In a publication, which appeared in 2008 in PLoS Medicine, epidemiologists from the University of Cambridge calculated the effect of 4 simple lifestyle factors – not drinking a lot of alcohol, exercising daily, eating five pieces of fruit and vegetables a day and not smoking – on life expectancy.[3] The scientists concluded that individuals who adhere to these 4 basic lifestyle rules live an average of 14 years longer than people who do not adhere to those rules.

A sub-optimal diet
A poor diet, which does not provide all the nutritional factors the body needs, can lead to cell damage. The body can replace those damaged cells, but this repair capacity is limited.

Cells can divide and form new cells to replace damaged and dead cells, but the more often they do this, the faster they age. In the long run, they lose their ability to function properly. The cells become less healthy, making biological processes less and less efficient.

American biochemist Bruce Ames, the inventor of the Ames test, suspects that we still do not know exactly how many nutrients, such as vitamins and minerals, we need to stay healthy. Based on his own fundamental research, Ames suspects that food scientists have estimated the intake of, for example, vitamin K[4] and selenium[5] at a level that does not cause direct or semi-acute cell damage.

However, Ames thinks that science has failed to look at processes that also require vitamin K and selenium, but whose health consequences only become visible in the longer term – read: at an advanced age. This implies that those who also want to stay healthy in the longer term may need vitamin K and selenium in larger amounts than the guidelines recommend. For this reason, Ames is a strong advocate of incorporating a basic multivitamin and mineral supplement into the daily diet.

Molecular research appears to confirm Ames’ theory. When researchers at the US National Institutes of Health measured the age of nearly 600 women at a cellular level, they found that using a simple multivitamin reduced their cell age by nearly ten years.[6] This may mean that such a simple and cheap supplement can extend life by ten years.

Hormonal aging
According to some aging researchers, an aging body produces fewer hormones necessary for healthy functioning. This theory of endocrinological aging is the foundation of many hormonal anti-aging treatments offered by clinics. In those treatments, doctors try to compensate for the drop in hormone levels due to aging by administering hormones such as DHEA, testosterone and growth hormone.

Although users of hormonal anti-aging treatments typically experience a significant improvement in their quality of life, it is not clear whether these treatments on their own indeed extend life. In animal experiments, older lab rats with an elevated growth hormone level do not live longer, but rather shorter than normal.[7] In addition, the hormones most frequently used in anti-aging treatments, such as testosterone and growth hormone, activate the mTOR molecule in cells. MTOR is a key molecule when it comes to processes such as building muscles, connective tissue and bones. Most anti-aging researchers see reducing mTOR activity as a key to a long and healthy life.[8]

MTOR
One of the most effective ways to reduce the activity of mTOR is to continuously consume several tens of percent fewer calories than your body actually needs. This gives the body a better chance of repair and detoxification processes and increases the lifespan of cells.

The life-prolonging effect of ‘caloric restriction’, as this approach is called, was discovered as early as the 1930s by researchers at Cornell University in experiments on lab rats.[9] Already in these first studies, caloric restriction extended lifespan by 30-50 percent and at the same time reduced the risk of a variety of aging-related disorders.[10]

Studies are currently underway in which researchers follow people on caloric restriction regimens for years. Although the first results are mainly positive, side effects have certainly come to light. For starters, a small group develops osteoporosis or anemia.[11] A more frequent problem is that the caloric restriction reduces the quality of life. A permanent low intake of calories increases sensitivity to cold, irritability, lethargy, and feelings of irritation and reduced energy levels.[12]

Although the research into caloric restriction is far from complete, the search for alternatives has already started, which consist of natural and pharmacological substances that mimic the effect of caloric restriction. A prominent one is resveratrol, a phyto-chemical naturally found in red grapes and, in small amounts, in berries,.[13] In cells, resveratrol activates an enzyme called SIRT1. This enzyme also becomes active through caloric restriction. It allows cells to spend more energy on repair processes. We’ll be sharing a more about resveratrol and SIRT1 in follow-up blogs.

In a previous blog about the relationship between lifestyle and longevity, we wrote that a dietary pattern with a high intake of fruits and vegetables and exercise increases the chance of a long and healthy life. Those two factors seem to act on the same mechanism as caloric restriction.

This is probably because fruits and vegetables contain substances that do about the same as resveratrol,[14] while exercise seems to work in a different way. Exercise may mimic the effect of caloric restriction by extracting significant amounts of energy from the body.[15]

AGEs
One aging theorem that has gained popularity in particular over the past decade is the cross-linkage theory. According to this theory, aging is due to the buildup of cross-linked protein complexes, which damage cells and inhibit important repair enzymes. This theory was launched in the 1940s by Johan Bjorksten.[16] In the 1990s, the American biochemist Helen Vlassara called these complexes AGEs. AGEs is an abbreviation for ‘advanced glycation end products’. AGEs are more easily formed in the body when the glucose level is constantly high.

This explains why people are estimated to be older if their glucose level is continuously elevated.[17] A lifestyle with a lot of exercise and a low intake of sugars and other fast-absorbing carbohydrates, which keep the glucose level low, can inhibit the formation of these complexes and thus slow down the rate of aging.

AGEs can also enter the body directly through foods.[18] AGEs can be found in chips, cookies, fried snacks and other highly-processed industrial foods.

There isn’t much that everyone agrees on in contemporary nutritional science. But it is now beyond dispute that foods with a lot of ‘fast carbs’ and highly-processed foods are unhealthy.[19]

Free radicals
At the turn of the century, free radical theory was the most popular theory of aging in applied health sciences. According to this theory, devised in the mid-1950s by the American chemist Denham Harman, aging occurs because aggressive molecules, the free radicals, continuously attack complex molecules in the body.[20]

Harman initially suspected that these free radicals were formed by the action of various forms of radiation, but later he came to the conclusion that the cells themselves produced those free radicals. They were released when the mitochondria in the cells convert nutrients and energy, Denham theorized.[21]

In the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s, longevity researchers hoped that high doses of antioxidants such as vitamin C, vitamin E and beta-carotene could slow down the cellular destruction of free radicals, but that turned out not to be the case. However, scientists still use the free radical theory when they want to demonstrate why a large amount of radioactive radiation or smoking is unhealthy. Exposure to radioactive radiation creates free radicals in the body, while cigarette smoke is full of free radicals.

Defective mitochondria
According to Denham, mitochondria produce free radicals, which then damage the mitochondria over the long term. Thus, aging was not only a result of free-radical wrecking, but also a result of an increasingly serious cellular energy crisis due to less and less effective mitochondria. Towards the end of his academic career, Denham himself was pessimistic about the possibilities of solving this problem, but German biologists from the University of Jena took a different view.

The Germans did experiments in their laboratory with worms and mice, and discovered that there is a way to make organisms live longer via mitochondria. By challenging mitochondria, and by increasing the free radical production, cells were stimulated the cells to renew themselves. This resulted, among other things, in better functioning mitochondria. [22] This complex and paradoxical phenomenon is called hormesis.

Physical activity may be one way to achieve this type of hormesis.[23] Ingestion of natural chemicals that challenge the energy production in mitochondria, like EGCG[24] or alpha-ketoglutarate,[25] may be another.

Senescent cells
Yet another theory, which is remarkably popular in the academic community at the time of writing this blog, is the senescent cells hypothesis. According to this theory, we age because senescent cells that no longer function properly accumulate in our tissues.[26] As a result, these tissues are less able to do what they are supposed to do. There are all kinds of systems out there that are supposed to clean up these stale cells, but the cells have found ways to get around them.

One way to limit the accumulation of aging cells is to prevent obesity.[27] Another way is probably a diet high in vegetables and other sources of natural phenols.[28] A phenol like fisetin,[29] which is chemically closely related to quercetin, kills senescent cells in animal studies, thereby extending lifespan.

Epilogue
The theories we have mentioned in this blog are not mutually exclusive, but complement each other. We will return to these theories in future blogs, where we will discuss substantiated ways to extend the human life span and health span.

F

GymnJuice

• Getbig V
« Reply #411 on: September 01, 2022, 05:18:46 AM »
  How we age (and how we can slow it down)
August 25, 2022  |  No Comments
Aging is an inseparable part of being alive. To live equals aging. There is no escaping the fact that the cells that make up our bodies are not designed to last forever. As they get older and have gone through more cycles of cell division, they function less and less well.

Too much sun, smoking, alcohol, junk food, inactivity I think all contribute to aging.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #412 on: September 01, 2022, 03:30:08 PM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #414 on: September 04, 2022, 06:33:43 AM »
F

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #415 on: September 04, 2022, 07:01:29 AM »
   https://archive.org/details/43824musclebeachhomemoviesmos

At 11:45:00 we can see in the lower left hand corner, a young time travelling Sylvester Stallone admire the women of that era.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #416 on: September 06, 2022, 02:02:31 AM »
it is hm he was known as james hellwig in those days.
Not a great wrestling name.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #417 on: September 06, 2022, 03:59:24 AM »
   https://archive.org/details/43824musclebeachhomemoviesmos
   1954 MISS MUSCLE BEACH BEAUTY CONTEST 16mm HOME MOVIE FOOTAGE 43824
by PeriscopeFilm

Topics 1954, Santa Monica, California, 166mm, Stock Footage
This incredible 16mm silent film shows images of Muscle Beach in Santa Monica, California (near today's Santa Monica Pier) including the Miss Muscle Beach Beauty Contest. The original Muscle Beach was just south of the SM Pier, and is credited as being the source of the fitness craze in the US.   Based on a bit of detective work we think this is the 1954 contest won by ravishing beauty Barbara Thomason whose victory was headlined in the papers as: “Blonde, 17, Chosen Muscle Beach Queen.” She was described as “a bouncy, blue-eyed blonde in a white bathing suit,” with hourglass measurements recorded down to the half-inch. In 1955,  she made her screen debut (as Carolyn Mitchell) in an episode of “Crossroads,” an ABC morality-play series. Three years later Thomason married actor Mickey Rooney but their marriage was an unhappy one. Thomason was murdered by her lover, actor Milos Milosevic, after she and Rooney announced they planned to reconcile. It was quite a terrible end for such a promising and attractive young woman.  Muscle Beach dates back to the 1930s when the Works Progress Administration (WPA) installed exercise equipment immediately south of the Santa Monica Pier in Santa Monica, California. Popular gymnastic and acrobatic exhibitions were routinely held there on city-provided equipment. A platform on the beach with weight lifting equipment provided a workout area for such famous bodybuilders as Vic Tanny, Jack LaLanne, and Joe Gold. Muscle House was a "crashpad" just off the beach where many bodybuilders would live for cheap rent and convenient access to the beach. It was a common waypoint for bodybuilders such as Chet Yorton, Steve Reeves, Vince Edwards, Jack Delinger, George Eiferman, and Dave Draper.  The site of Muscle Beach Venice has inherited the modern fame and attention that was initially generated by Muscle Beach in Santa Monica, as the tumbling platform from this earlier facility had been removed by the City of Santa Monica due to difficulties in the day-to-day maintenance and supervision of the original Muscle Beach site in 1959. Yet the original regulars of Muscle Beach in Santa Monica continued to congregate at the world-famous setting with an emphasis on gymnastics events, acrobatics and adagio training and performances.  In 1989, the City of Santa Monica officially rededicated the original Muscle Beach and today it serves gymnasts, acrobats and youth with an extensive gymnastics training area. Meanwhile, the City of Los Angeles Recreation and Parks Department has continued the primary barbell, weightlifting and bodybuilding aspects and events of the original Muscle Beach fame at the Venice weight pen. In 1987, the City of Los Angeles officially dedicated "Muscle Beach Venice" with the added word of 'Venice' in the title to distinguish it from the original "Muscle Beach" in Santa Monica.  We encourage viewers to add comments and, especially, to provide additional information about our videos by adding a comment!  See something interesting?  Tell people what it is and what they can see by writing something for example like: "01:00:12:00 -- President Roosevelt is seen meeting with Winston Churchill at the Quebec Conference."  This film is part of the Periscope Film LLC archive, one of the largest historic military, transportation, and aviation stock footage collections in the USA. Entirely film backed, this material is available for licensing in 24p HD and 2k. For more information visit http://www.PeriscopeFilm.com

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #418 on: September 06, 2022, 04:00:58 AM »
Based on a bit of detective work we think this is the 1954 contest won by ravishing beauty Barbara Thomason whose victory was headlined in the papers as: “Blonde, 17, Chosen Muscle Beach Queen.” She was described as “a bouncy, blue-eyed blonde in a white bathing suit,” with hourglass measurements recorded down to the half-inch. In 1955,  she made her screen debut (as Carolyn Mitchell) in an episode of “Crossroads,” an ABC morality-play series. Three years later Thomason married actor Mickey Rooney but their marriage was an unhappy one. Thomason was murdered by her lover, actor Milos Milosevic, after she and Rooney announced they planned to reconcile. It was quite a terrible end for such a promising and attractive young woman.    abridged version. ;D
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #419 on: September 06, 2022, 04:09:46 AM »
 https://lostgirls.home.blog/2021/11/07/death-of-a-beauty-queen-barbara-ann-thomason-the-dark-underbelly-of-60s-hollywood-glamour/   the prize for winning miss muscle beach 1954 was you got to marry mickey rooney. ::) ::) ::) ::)
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #420 on: September 06, 2022, 07:16:09 AM »

&t=13s
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #421 on: September 06, 2022, 03:26:59 PM »
As we wrap up the summer season, let's also wrap up this project of Dave's "somewhat hidden" material. My long and neglected to-do list is growing and I want to limit the distractions this fall. We'll finish with one of my favorites of Dave's articles. I think you'll enjoy it. Dave writes:
It’s not the wrong things I’ve done that are the most regrettable; it’s the wrong things I’ve said.
My blunders are numerous and it's from them that I grow. The accidents, mistakes and misjudgments are suffered, their consequences are observed and, where possible, restorations are made. Lessons learned assure I won’t repeat the folly and enable me to step forward and perform more effectively and correctly tomorrow.
Let’s call it growth. Life is good.
But the hurtful things I’ve said cut the deepest: hasty remarks, cruel insults, insensitive exclamations, ugly retorts, biased judgments, unfair accusations and paranoid comments. I think, how wrong of me and how bad I feel -- guilty, stupid; what about them and how hurt they must be -- angry, disappointed. A bully, a coward am I. Not even a sincere apology can erase the mark. It’s indelible. The pain, though it fades, is recurring. The memory of the moment loses detail, but its outline is etched in the psyche. And some of the people on the wrong end of the etching tool are the dearest people I know, the dearest and most damaged.
Confessions of a lifter. So, lowest of creatures walking the earth (that would be me), what does this have to do with musclebuilding, power and might? Not sure. I recall my reckless past on occasion and shrug my shoulders. I might even grin and shake my head at a stupid incident, rebellious episode, foolish indiscretion or wrong choice, and appreciate the broadening role it played in my formation and survival. The idiot endured.
The recollection, however, of an unworthy slash made with my tongue is forever devastating. The grief, like lightening, strikes suddenly. I flinch, singed by a lick of fire from hell. Not only diabolic, I believe the searing is catabolic and we pay for the dirty injustice in muscle loss. You reap what you sow, brothers and sisters. Karma, the grand equalizer, promises what goes around comes around. The grim reaper doth reach and take.
Hurting someone’s feelings is destructive and unacceptable. The penalty is severe. Suffering muscle loss no words can describe.
You see, it’s not only what we eat and how we train that determines our muscular development. How we live our lives is a major contributing factor.
Considering the common everyday negatives peppering our days -- thus our training -- I determined that lack of time and excessive busy-ness secure the top spots. I combine the two because they are somewhat inseparable and codependent. Had we more time, perhaps, we’d be less busy. Though, as I write down the thought, the less convinced I am it’s a fact. Like money, the more we have, the more we spend, and the more we need and want. Beware the paradoxes that mire the way.
Too busy to work out regularly is almost a legitimate reason. Likewise, not enough time to work out is as convincing. Too busy for health, not enough time for muscle and might? I don’t buy it. They are far too important to compromise. Your life depends on them: wellbeing, strength, fitness, energy, endurance, performance, clarity and the lively spirit and attitudes they engender. And there’s nothing wrong with looking good. Three workouts a week, prideful, stimulating and fulfilling hours wisely spent with yourself. This is precious and privileged stuff; who can deny their place?
We’re surrounded, troops. The cohabitant negatives of too-busy and not-enough-time are frantic and worrisome. Oh, man, what a destructive pair these two make, and they are ordinary in today’s community of characters. Do you wonder why? Turn on the news, watch a whacky sitcom, catch a serial killer or investigate a crime scene on cable TV, listen to current pop music, dig into talk radio or bury yourself on the freeway. Check out your credit card balances and fill 'er up at the pump. Frantic and worrisome are there to greet you!
Did you know the best resistance to and resolution for anxiety and fretting, besides prayer, is exercise, followed by laughter and deep-sea treasure hunting in the Gulf of Akaka? Trust me. The insidious pair is detrimental to the central nervous system, causes indigestion and stomach ulceration, produces toxins, upsets the hormones, inhibits positive thinking, magnifies negative thinking, clouds clear thinking and destroys relationships. Your bite could be poisonous.
This does not sound like a boon to pretty curves and physique development.
Exercise and physical fitness obviously require time and effort. But to excel -- and why bother to undertake an undertaking unless you expect to exceed -- you must have passion. Passion is unbridled enthusiasm, energized desire, inner excitement. It is not going through the motions, aimless poking along. Passion comes from within, from the heart, and it is stimulated by an outside source, motivation. Traced to its roots, passion is kin to inspiration.
When speaking of passion, inspiration, enthusiasm, excitement and desire, we are no longer dealing with words only. We step beyond utterances and thoughts and into the realm of the soul. Sounds and thoughts give way to simply being. Be, bub.
We’re surrounded by inspiration if only we open our eyes and listen to our hearts. Look and listen, see and hear -- and, while we’re at it, feel... feel deeply. Don’t be frightened, it doesn’t hurt; it’s not childish or girly, guys. Weightlifters feel deeply big time. Deep feeling is chiseled in their traps.
Without passion and inspiration, we go halfway in twice the time and we drag our sorry selves along the way. Pursue inspiration calmly, steadily and with expectation. Don’t look back. It’ll run you over like a speeding freight train.
We’re a crazy bunch, bombers. Appreciate the missteps, wrong turns and stumbles you’ve taken, the silly thoughts and dopey longings you’ve considered. Had you not, you’d be among the crowd of ordinary squabblers... squabbling.
Amid this wave (yeah, right)... ripple of thinking, I’m reminded of additional forces in the wrong direction, further negative powers that hold us back. Negatives and wrongs and discussions about them sound depressing until we realize the context in which they're regarded. We’re exploring the scoundrels, airing the foul debris and divulging the loathsome detractors that they might perish from exposure. We’re kicking them down the street like old tin cans, knocking them about with a clatter... cheap improvised playthings beneath our feet. Look at them go; they’re on the run.
Disorder is a scoundrel. The time we don’t have is lost to disorder. The busy-ness that makes us frantic is a direct result of our disorder. From chaos comes no good thing, despite what dull theorists claim. Get your life in order and the treasures lost in time are uncovered with every saved minute, gained hour and stolen day.
Order is soothing to the soul. Order restores the mind. Order gives relief to the burdened body.
The best way -- this is a scientific fact -- the best way to discover, gain or regain order and establish it for good is to exercise regularly. Let your life begin.
Along with order is consistency. You can do a fine thing for a while and be approved. But do a good thing for a long time with enthusiasm and spirit and the world is yours. Your head says no, but your heart and soul say yes. All that is good is in the sets and reps, the barbells and dumbbells. Lift that iron, push that steel.
Let’s hear the metal clang.
There’s something we must not forget: When all is said and done or almost done, it’s time to relax, rest and repair. Take hold of time, cup it in your hands. Put the fading worries aside, allow order to rule, deny the doubts and wallow in passion. The all of you aches to grow and pleads for choice time and space to do it.
Clear the runway, I’m taking off. Space and time are limitless when soaring, gliding and flying in the wind. Go swiftly, yet not with haste and the journey is yours.
Bomb voyage... Dave Draper
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #422 on: September 07, 2022, 05:21:21 AM »
  VINCE GIRONDA ... THE MODERN DAY IRON GURU
Vince Gironda, born in 1917, in Bronx, New York, became a legend in the fitness world not only for his approach, but for his controversial dealings with people.
His father, a movie stunt man, moved his family to Hollywood, California, when Vince was eight years old.
In 1939, at age 22, Gironda began serious  weight training. Two years later, he placed sixth at the "first" Mr. California contest. Later, he finished second at the 1951 Professional Mr. America; third, at the 1957 Professional Mr. USA, and at age 45, second in the shortman's division at the 1962 NABBA Professional Mr. Universe contest.
From 1941 to 1948, Vince worked in the film industry to finance his health club which was located in Studio City, California. The darkly painted exterior of the 4,000 square-foot, cinder-block building, with an upstairs apartment, was filled with homemade exercise equipment, and no music was allowed.
By the late 1960's, Vince's Gym was the Mecca for champion bodybuilders. The walls were lined with photos of Larry Scott, Reg Lewis, Bert Elliot, Bill McArdle, John Tristram, Ray Routledge, Steve Reno, Pete Caputo, Don Howard, Dominic Juliano, Don Peters, Gable Boudreaux, Dan Mackey, Gene Beloff, Freddy Ortiz, Ray Reriden, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Mohamed Makkawy, John Balik, and Gene Mozee.
Likewise, well known film stars depended on Vince for their fitness needs. Actors, Dale Robertson, Michael Landon, Clint Eastwood, Charles Bronson, James Garner, George Hamilton, Brad Harris, William Smith, Clint Walker, Denzel Washington, Tommy Chong, David Carradine, and  Erik Estrada, were a part of that crowd.
Vince reigned as total master of his domain. Anyone disagreeing with him was "out the front door." Many beginners, upon completing their intial workout, were transformed into shaking psychological wrecks, wondering whether they had the fortitude to try again.
For 55 years, Vince lived and breathed strength training. His articles that appeared in fitness magazines preached that nutrition was 85 percent of successful bodybuilding.
Opposed to the use of steroids, or growth hormones, he believed exercising individual muscle groups once-a-week, worked only for "juiced athletes." He rarely attended physique contests, calling  them "pharmaceutical conventions."
By the mid 1990's, with large chain fitness operations making it difficult for small independent gyms to survive, Vince closed his operation and sold the equipment in the gym for  around $5,000.
Vince died in 1997, at  age 79. Although he owned the property and the building where his health club was located, at the time of its sale, he was still $160.00 overdrawn on his checking account, three days before his death.
F

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #423 on: September 07, 2022, 05:47:13 AM »

looks more like the Blue Oyster Bar

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #424 on: September 08, 2022, 02:29:35 AM »
Was the gym in his house? Maybe Vince had something in common with Blaha.