Author Topic: Quiting Booze  (Read 4901 times)

RJ DRIVER

• Getbig IV
  • I'm like a retard minus the strength
Quiting Booze
« on: May 08, 2022, 05:49:32 PM »
So I’ve struggled with drinking the past 5 years. I consider myself in the “grey area alcoholic”. My wife scoffs at me when I say I’m an alcoholic. She can drink for a week then not touch it for months. So I don’t thing she understands where I’m coming from. I dont have to drink everyday to function or don’t have to drink till I pass out. I just feel the overwhelming need to drink everyday. Usually 3-6 beers but it prevents me from succeeding in other areas of my life and im just done with it. I successfully went dry for 7 months last year. Then I went on vacation with friends I’ve known for 30 years and thought I could drink for a week and be okay. Since then (October) I’ve been back on the sauce and unable to quit. Any suggestions on how to quit? Willpower just doesn’t cut it. My previous dry period was due to being completely done by making bad choices and Turing to the Bible and trying to live a righteous life. So far that has not worked this go around. It’s tough to admit it but I know I’m weak.

Flexacon

• Getbig V
Re: Quiting Booze
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 05:55:56 PM »
Have you tried keto?

RJ DRIVER

• Getbig IV
  • I'm like a retard minus the strength
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 06:00:41 PM »
I tried carnivore for 2 weeks but the booze came a calling, lol

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 06:02:37 PM »
Keep drinking, start drinking liquor every day, 6 to 7 days isn’t so bad, gotta up the alcohol content, you will be fine

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2022, 06:07:04 PM »
With drinking it makes you requir aroung 1to 2 more hours of sleep  , its fun but youll need more sleep and calories to recover. Drinking can be used as a mind steroid  , your ably to focus and apply your self to a goal that doesnt require you to drive hopefully
A

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2022, 06:12:22 PM »
One of my best friends growing up was a heavy drinker. Lord knows I did my share of drinking but he was on another level. Great guy but just your stereotype Irish alcoholic. He could never admit he had a problem. It was that the rest of us didn’t drink enough.

One night, coming home from the bar he tripped, whacked his head on the concrete and never woke up. It all fun and games until a health issue or an accident happens.

Zillotch

• Getbig V
  • the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2022, 06:52:16 PM »
Willpower just doesn’t cut it.

thats all there is to it – fortitude

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2022, 08:13:50 PM »
So I’ve struggled with drinking the past 5 years. I consider myself in the “grey area alcoholic”. My wife scoffs at me when I say I’m an alcoholic. She can drink for a week then not touch it for months. So I don’t thing she understands where I’m coming from. I dont have to drink everyday to function or don’t have to drink till I pass out. I just feel the overwhelming need to drink everyday. Usually 3-6 beers but it prevents me from succeeding in other areas of my life and im just done with it. I successfully went dry for 7 months last year. Then I went on vacation with friends I’ve known for 30 years and thought I could drink for a week and be okay. Since then (October) I’ve been back on the sauce and unable to quit. Any suggestions on how to quit? Willpower just doesn’t cut it. My previous dry period was due to being completely done by making bad choices and Turing to the Bible and trying to live a righteous life. So far that has not worked this go around. It’s tough to admit it but I know I’m weak.

Sounds like you love the cock.

Hope this helps.
P

tacobender

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2022, 08:42:15 PM »
I’m struggling with depression and drinking it’s tough lots of triggers

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2022, 10:01:23 PM »
Alcoholics Anonymous......do everything they tell you to and thank me later.

tacobender

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2022, 10:38:25 PM »
Alcoholics Anonymous......do everything they tell you to and thank me later.
Honestly no shit talking does that really help you? I’ve always been tentative to going to those places

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2022, 12:31:44 AM »

I think this is a good time to bring up an issue that I have, which has also been on my mind.

It's hard to quit something if you don't want to quit, or have no reason to quit.

It sounds like you are at the point of wanting to quit [hopefully NOT due to health reasons yet, but concern they may become an issue later in life].

So that's good that you want to quit.

One thing I hasn't brought up on Getbig [aside from PM] that I alluded to above, was that I had been smoking cigarettes during the pandemic.

In the past 57 days, I've smoked 19 cigarettes.

Most recently, I've dropped to smoking 2-3 on Sunday, but I skipped yesterday. So now I'm going to 2-3 every two weeks, the 2-3 a month, then see how I feel from there.

As to why I've been smoking - that was because fucking gyms were closed for 500+ fucking days straight. I was just filling time.

Now that I can work out without the police FOLLOWING ME TO THE GYM [I had no vaccine passport, so that happened 1-2 times per week], I've not wanted to smoke.

I still enjoy cigarettes though - but they cannot be moderated, IMO. So I'm thinking once a month would be ok. And that's when I realized - why even bother? I mean, if I smoke two cigarettes on the last day of the month, why not just smoke zero?

I'll go on record - I enjoy smoking cigarettes. I wish they were easier to moderate.

RJ DRIVER: our issues may be the same here, or similar - my issues with cigarettes is that I can't moderate them. And that's why I only smoke weekly.

I can almost guarantee you that if I allowed myself to smoke daily, I would smoke 5-25 cigarettes a day. In fact, IMO, if it was not for health issues, I would probably be a pack a day smoker.

Funny, given the first cigarette I smoked was age 34 [in 2016], and didn't start regularly smoking until age 36.

I smoke 2-3, one day per week. Or I might have one cigarette one day, then 1-2 another day of the week.

I'm currently at maybe 10/month, down from 30/month [one a day] during the pandemic.

There aren't even studies on my level of smoking, since apparently I'm the only person who smokes this little. Almost everyone smokes at least 2-3-4 daily, and there are no studies I'm aware of on 2-3 cigarettes a week.

My concern is that I might increase my smoking, and THAT can become a problem [whereas 2-3 a week is probably not a problem].

Here's one thing I'm thinking though:

There may be no way for me to moderate smoking.

There may be no way for ANYONE to moderate smoking.

Does ANYONE know ANYONE who only smokes cigarettes once a week?

I literally don't know of ANYONE but me.

So what I'm thinking is that smoking may be an "all or NOTHING" thing for me.

I moderate them extremely well, but they are very "more-ish". I find one leads to craving for another and another. They are inherently unsatisfying in this respect.

If I eat a cheat meal, I'm good for a month. But when I smoke even as much as ONE A DAY [which I was smoking during the pandemic], I always wanted another.

Thinking about your post has made me think about how hard it can be to quit. It seems like the best solution is to not go down that road to begin with...

Now on to YOUR post, RJ:

What are the reasons why you are drinking? I can tell you that the ONLY reason why I was smoking is because I went into the pandemic with a TINY smoking habit, and it ONLY stuck around because of the bullshit pandemic measures.

We only JUST got rid of all bullshit measures/mandates in Canada last month [except air travel], so it's only been a month of me being able to live my life again.

And SURPRISE SURPRISE, I only smokes like eight cigarettes since April 1st.

The reason why I couldn't quit is because I was facing issues causing me to smoke. And those issues were NOT in my control.

So my question for you to ask yourself is: why do you drink? Could you find a way to face those issues without drinking?

Can you find a replacement?

I have ONLY had legal access to public saunas since April 1st!!  That's when my gym gave up their bullshit policy of counting people who were going there. You had to sign in online, before going.  ::)

So if there is some reason you drink, it might be harder to quit, until you find a way to face that reason, and find a replacement for alcohol.

Clearly, there is some reason why it benefits you.

Is it safe to say you aren't just drinking the quantity of alcohol you do just to stave off withdrawals, but that you enjoy that amount?

Are you ready to give up that enjoyment, and just drink the minimum you need to not experience withdrawal [assuming you will have any withdrawal]?

I guess what I'm saying is: if there is a reason you are drinking, and you have no mechanism to deal with that issue, and to replace alcohol with something else, it may be hard.

IMO, wanting to quit is the first step. Replacing alcohol with something else would be good, if you can find such a replacement.

1-2, up to even three drinks daily [depending on your body weight / muscle mass] is probably not THAT bad. Another good first step would be to try to get into that range of drinking.

It seems unlikely to me that a person drinking 1-2...even 3 drinks daily is doing THAT much damage.

Cheers star George Wendt used to only drink starting at 8pm.

Is there any way to do that to start? I can tell you that by only allowing myself to smoke on Sundays, my smoking remains at almost nonexistent levels. But if I allowed myself 2-3 a day, that number could easily rise to a problematic level.

I've also found it daunting to think I will never smoke again. And that's why I allow myself to smoke on Sunday.

Sorry for the long post - you've made me think maybe it's time to just stop smoking outright. Why am I keeping a 10 cigarette/month habit?

Maybe it's just time to let it go.

I could probably smoke 7 cigarettes a day, and not face healthy issues. But I'm a big time hypochondriac, so take anything I say with a grain of salt. I'm a bigtime health pussy. I could probably get away with WAY more than I do - but I hate taking health risks.

irishdave

• Getbig V
  • It ain’t over ‘TIL it’s over
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2022, 12:53:49 AM »
Yes Covid lockdowns that were completely useless turned me into an Alco

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2022, 02:06:55 AM »
Replace the booze with something else like herbal tea. Many times the habit is actually drinking something all the time and when you quit you feel something missing. Same with smoking.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2022, 06:51:19 AM »
I should stop also. Not that i drink a lot, but my liver is not happy with the few wine glasses i drink.
Going to zero it's hard, mostly because we tend to rationalize how it's not a big deal.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2022, 06:57:54 AM »
Honestly no shit talking does that really help you? I’ve always been tentative to going to those places
It really helped me.....it works if you do exactly what they tell you and you truly have a strong desire to quit.

I tried quitting a zillion times on my own and always thoughe AA people were weak and the stuff they preached was bullshit but after failing to quit on my own a zillion times I figured I`d hit AA and follow their plan to the letter....it finally worked.....been sober for over twenty years now and I was a bad drunk.

Dokey111

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2022, 07:36:23 AM »
Here's what I always say.  And no jokes, quitting drinking is a great thing to do for yourself.

I believe that part of the issue is that you simply want to drink.  Not necessarily alcohol, you just want to drink.  So drink!  But not alcoholic.  Buy yourself a whole bunch of seltzer waters, whatever flavor you like.  La Croix or Polar brands I use.  And drink them one after another starting in the late afternoon.  Drink as if they were beers or whatever.  Once you start doing this you will wake up and thank god you didn't have any alcohol.  It is a great feeling.

Also, I take a valerian capsule along with.  Not sure but it does seem like it takes the edge off a little bit.

And that's it.  Good luck.

Edit:  and don't keep alcohol in the house.  I know if I have it, I will drink it.

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2022, 09:01:45 AM »
Because of depression I have become a binge drinker. After my divorce it was almost a nightly thing to do. I have cut back.. sometimes I go a week without it but on that 6-7 day mark I crave it. Before I know it I go through a case of beer. If I don't work the next day I continue drinking into the next day.  It's a vicious cycle
irongearco.com

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2022, 10:13:53 AM »
Alcohol and bodybuilding don’t mix

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2022, 10:55:30 AM »
It's hard to quit something if you don't want to quit, or have no reason to quit.

I guess what I'm saying is: if there is a reason you are drinking, and you have no mechanism to deal with that issue, and to replace alcohol with something else, it may be hard.

Sorry Matt - had to trim the excess to bring out your point(s)

As for the OP, surely that amount of empty calories has an impact on bodyfat?  (As I typed I just realised I have literally no idea what amount is in beer/spirits though - how have I made it all my life without knowing this, FFS!?)  So appeal to the narcissist in yourself :)

As for displacement activities, at the time you start drinking every day, just hit the weights instead?  Put that 'in the way' of the booze so to speak

Pretty weak I suppose, but I know people that has worked for

Yes Covid lockdowns that were completely useless turned me into an Alco

How's it going with the other thing, fella..?

Alcohol and bodybuilding don’t mix

That jogged my memory a little - anyone else remember that Julian Schmidt article on 'Famous Viking/Norwegian Bodybuilder' where he tried to claim the guy was drinking gallons of beer every night..?  What was his name again...?
T

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2022, 10:58:41 AM »
Try some meth. It will help you completely forget about booze

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2022, 11:10:41 AM »
Try some meth. It will help you completely forget about booze

Just stay away from kangaroos and second storey windows
T

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2022, 11:36:47 AM »
AD cherry? I think that was his name he was an alchemist at one time
irongearco.com

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2022, 11:55:53 AM »
Just got back from 28 days of rehab.... :-X

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2022, 12:22:59 PM »
Just got back from 28 days of rehab.... :-X
Vero Beach ???