Author Topic: NASM cert is $900 now? WTF  (Read 1019 times)

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
NASM cert is $900 now? WTF
« on: March 24, 2024, 02:20:05 AM »
I’ve been looking into training some people from the neighborhood in my garage as a way to make some extra cash and I wanted to get certified to obtain liability insurance.  I was a personal trainer over ten years ago and did the NASM certification back then and it was like $150 back then.  Went on to the website to buy the course and they are charging $900 for it now—and that’s one of the least expensive options.

Who tf do they think they are charging that much??  All the personal trainer certificates short of CPT are pretty much worthless, you just need it to look “legit” and qualify for insurance.  Back to the drawing board I suppose.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
Re: NASM cert is $900 now? WTF
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2024, 02:37:46 AM »
ACE is a tiny bit cheaper, and still accepted most places - https://www.acefitness.org/fitness-certifications/personal-trainer-certification/default.aspx .

All of PT certs have had huge jumps over the last few years, just crazy jumps. I, too, remember when most were $150-300, back in the early 2010s.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2024, 03:46:46 AM »
ACE is a tiny bit cheaper, and still accepted most places - https://www.acefitness.org/fitness-certifications/personal-trainer-certification/default.aspx .

All of PT certs have had huge jumps over the last few years, just crazy jumps. I, too, remember when most were $150-300, back in the early 2010s.

Thanks for the suggestion.  This was just something I was going to do on the side, 5-10hr per week tops, so dropping several hundred dollars on something I’m not sure I’ll stick with isn’t appealing.

None of my prospective clients would give a shit where the piece of paper comes from, but I need a cert for insurance.  Last thing I need is for someone to fall down and hurt themselves and sue me for my house.

Looking around there’s something called an “ACTION certification” for $100-200.  Not crazy about spending that much for some piece of paper but at least they’re NCCA accredited and offer liability insurance.  I’ll have to speak w my insurance agent for some guidance.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2024, 04:30:48 AM »

There seemed to be a boom of boutique fitness Studios opening up during that time. I guess the certification orgs realized they could work people for more. As said, nobody cares about them. You could just spew out a few letters and no one would know the difference.

Amazing to me than anybody would still pay a trainer with all that’s available online these days.

How much would insurance cost yearly for a trainer?

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2024, 04:42:41 AM »
15 years ago ace was 400,Issa was 600 and nasm was 800. Not a big investment to make great money. But why bother even getting the cert? Just train people if you look the part.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2024, 04:52:19 AM »
15 years ago ace was 400,Issa was 600 and nasm was 800. Not a big investment to make great money. But why bother even getting the cert? Just train people if you look the part.
You just answered your own question, Rob. This is Getbig. How many of the posters here, actually "look the part" ?

I admit that I don't, even though my knowledge can rival most here, I can totally understand why clients would want someone who looks the part.

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2024, 04:58:45 AM »
There seemed to be a boom of boutique fitness Studios opening up during that time. I guess the certification orgs realized they could work people for more. As said, nobody cares about them. You could just spew out a few letters and no one would know the difference.

Amazing to me than anybody would still pay a trainer with all that’s available online these days.

How much would insurance cost yearly for a trainer?

My buddy pays 400-500 a year for insurance.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2024, 05:01:02 AM »
My buddy pays 400-500 a year for insurance.

That’s not too bad.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2024, 05:17:00 AM »

This. I believe you don’t need a cert to train people. Just use the number of years you’ve been training as “experience”

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2024, 05:37:23 AM »
What are you buying for your money? Does anyone even think to ask about accreditation?

If you're encouraging fat housewives to go deeper into their goblet squat, sell them the healthy outdoors and meet in the damn park.

Don't do business out of your house at all imo. Every weird bastard who sees your ad gets to find out where you live and what your security is like? Shit no.

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2024, 05:43:21 AM »
What are you buying for your money? Does anyone even think to ask about accreditation?

If you're encouraging fat housewives to go deeper into their goblet squat, sell them the healthy outdoors and meet in the damn park.

Don't do business out of your house at all imo. Every weird bastard who sees your ad gets to find out where you live and what your security is like? Shit no.

Yes doing bootcamps in the park is huge and housewives pay big money for it. I remember years ago prob 10 my buddy was doing two bootcamps a day on Sat and Sundays with roughly 10 women in each class at 50 a pop for an hour so he would make 2k for 4 hours on weekends and wouldn’t work during the week from April-Oct.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2024, 06:16:47 AM »
Yes doing bootcamps in the park is huge and housewives pay big money for it. I remember years ago prob 10 my buddy was doing two bootcamps a day on Sat and Sundays with roughly 10 women in each class at 50 a pop for an hour so he would make 2k for 4 hours on weekends and wouldn’t work during the week from April-Oct.

That's the target market. Lazy bitches who want fitness to be something they can buy. Hey they paid the money how come they don't look like the 20yo tiktok girls!

People don't want the truth. They want excuses. And not just with fitness. I liked Jocko's extreme ownership theory. Ultimately, everything is our own fault.

Sorry, 3rd whiskey here lol.

Lartinos

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2024, 06:34:45 AM »
Just get good legal liability waivers they sign.
I question how much they’d actually help you any way.
The more I deal with insurance companies the more I see they try to scam me.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2024, 06:42:28 AM »
Even half assed you would make that $900 back quickly, no?

Even at a low rate of $50/hr it would take 18 hrs to recoup.
Y

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2024, 06:48:47 AM »
Just get good legal liability waivers they sign.
I question how much they’d actually help you any way.
The more I deal with insurance companies the more I see they try to scam me.

Jesus how retardedly litigious has shit gotten? You need insurance brokers and lawyers on retainer just to walk some fat  broad theough lunges?

At some point the system isn't worth taking seriously.

I say take common sense measures and engage in commerce.

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2024, 07:14:30 AM »
Recertified with AFAA last April $500 ....took me a month to do it.
They try to sell you the book for study but I did without the book. Its also around 100 bucks !
Since 1983, AFAA has prepared over 350,000 fitness instructors and trainers in 73 countries. AFAA released the first nationally standardized guidelines for fitness professionals.
You can get the AED/CPR for ~ $50 online

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2024, 07:20:20 AM »
Fuck it. I'll certify you. I offer BGD and SRK levels, as per the international WVD standard.

Legit as shit.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2024, 07:28:51 AM »
Not shitting on you, but how do you not think spending $900 to make yourself more marketable is too much? Dude, it’s only $900. Even if you never do it, it’s not a huge pile of money to invest in yourself. 

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2024, 07:58:45 AM »
I've carried worker's comp and public liability insurance for 25 years.

Claims: 0.

Clients who asked for proof of insurance: 2.

Marketability benefit: Negligible.

Current status: Rube.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2024, 08:13:11 AM »
I've carried worker's comp and public liability insurance for 25 years.

Claims: 0.

Clients who asked for proof of insurance: 2.

Marketability benefit: Negligible.

Current status: Rube.

Not being asked for proof of insurance by a bunch of dusty aborigines doesn't equate to the situation he's facing in our litigious world.
Y

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2024, 08:14:10 AM »
There are too many PT's and the cert cost is an attempt to limit competition.

They should triple the cost to further limit competition.

A cert should cost $100,000.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2024, 08:29:16 AM »
That's the target market. Lazy bitches who want fitness to be something they can buy. Hey they paid the money how come they don't look like the 20yo tiktok girls!

People don't want the truth. They want excuses. And not just with fitness. I liked Jocko's extreme ownership theory. Ultimately, everything is our own fault.

Sorry, 3rd whiskey here lol.

It was the same way in the late 1980’s, the clients were women with too much time and money. I did training back then as a side hustle. I had no certs, just a good physique.

I always laugh when the trainers today all act like they’re training elite athletes and that everything needs to be scientifically precise.😂

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2024, 08:30:57 AM »
Not shitting on you, but how do you not think spending $900 to make yourself more marketable is too much? Dude, it’s only $900. Even if you never do it, it’s not a huge pile of money to invest in yourself.

It doesn’t make you more marketable. Nobody gives a shit.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2024, 08:34:00 AM »
Not being asked for proof of insurance by a bunch of dusty aborigines doesn't equate to the situation he's facing in our litigious world.

Deep down you know know there's little difference between abos and insurers. They'll both rob you and claim they deserve it.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus