Author Topic: Ab training  (Read 1858 times)

Aj123

• Getbig II
Ab training
« on: June 24, 2007, 09:31:10 PM »
I have a big problem working on my abs... I just dont feel that they are growing or working right...
This is what my stomach looks like from the side

( - upper middle abs
 ) - Lower abs

(if that makes sense lol)

I train my abs about 2 times a week. I know alot will think its fat and i know a bit of it is but i also think i lack upper abs to even my stomach out more, im not sure. It always looks like im sucking my stomach in.

Anyone have the same problem? Or any ab exercise suggestions that would help?  :-\

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
Re: Ab training
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 01:51:17 AM »
Is it just because your lower abs are slightly distended?  Many peoples are, I've got good abs but mine are slightly distended even with an empty stomach, but just by habit I slightly flex my abs all the time.  So from this they look flat all the time.

Can you see a six-pack?  If not, try dieting down so you can see it, and see how they look then.

Which exercises are you currently doing for abs?

BigFish

• Getbig II
  • Quality posts over quantity
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 11:53:56 AM »
one thing i might suggest would be adding weights to your lower ab workout.  when you lift hevy with less reps you develop size and the same should apply to your ab workout.  Through a 25 between your knees when you do the hanging ab pull ups, string some weight from your ankles when doing leg raises, etc.  See if that helps at all.  My top 4 abs are well defined but my lowers have been lacking so i'm putting this theory into play currently. 
Pop Drop & Squat it

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 12:45:40 PM »
one thing i might suggest would be adding weights to your lower ab workout.  when you lift hevy with less reps you develop size and the same should apply to your ab workout.  Through a 25 between your knees when you do the hanging ab pull ups, string some weight from your ankles when doing leg raises, etc.  See if that helps at all.  My top 4 abs are well defined but my lowers have been lacking so i'm putting this theory into play currently. 

one thing im doing now is 2 to 3 times a week, reps from 12 to 15, 3 to 5 exercises and 3 sets per exercise but with ALL THE WEIGHT possible on abs, and doing exercises where you can add maximum weight.
 im having the best results i ever had doing this
!

BigFish

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 03:06:07 PM »
seems to be a pretty solid way to add more ab mass and bring them out more.   i'd give it a shot AJ123
Pop Drop & Squat it

Dr. D

• Getbig III
  • Vince and Derek: Match made in GetBig Heaven!
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 05:00:20 PM »
Abdominals are mostly Fast Twitched Muscle Fibers. These need heavy resistance with fewer reps.
Plus people tend to work out their abs too much. They are muscles and need time to heal and grow like any other muscle.

BigFish

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 09:53:19 AM »
Abdominals are mostly Fast Twitched Muscle Fibers. These need heavy resistance with fewer reps.
Plus people tend to work out their abs too much. They are muscles and need time to heal and grow like any other muscle.

i can definitely agree to that Dr. D.  I know a lot of people where i work out that believe in hitting the abs everyday at the end of their workouts which seems like overkill to me.  And if they don't have time to heal between workouts doesn't that kind of defeat the whole purpose?
Pop Drop & Squat it

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 10:21:02 AM »
I have a big problem working on my abs... I just dont feel that they are growing or working right...
This is what my stomach looks like from the side

( - upper middle abs
 ) - Lower abs

(if that makes sense lol)

I train my abs about 2 times a week. I know alot will think its fat and i know a bit of it is but i also think i lack upper abs to even my stomach out more, im not sure. It always looks like im sucking my stomach in.

Anyone have the same problem? Or any ab exercise suggestions that would help?  :-\

You're fat...sorry.

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 10:29:56 AM »
i can definitely agree to that Dr. D.  I know a lot of people where i work out that believe in hitting the abs everyday at the end of their workouts which seems like overkill to me.  And if they don't have time to heal between workouts doesn't that kind of defeat the whole purpose?

exactly!!
Also, you should hit the abdominals in their neurological order... Lower Abdominals, Obliques and then Uppers. The abdominals need 30 degrees flexion and 45 degrees extension for full ROM. That is why I prefer my clients to do them on the swiss ball to get a full ROM and not on the floor.

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 10:33:15 AM »
I know alot will think its fat and i know a bit of it is but i also think i lack upper abs to even my stomach out more, im not sure. It always looks like im sucking my stomach in.

If your stomach is disstended, you then have very weak Transverse Abdominis Muscles. Doing crunches won't help this.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 10:48:39 AM »
exactly!!
Also, you should hit the abdominals in their neurological order... Lower Abdominals, Obliques and then Uppers. The abdominals need 30 degrees flexion and 45 degrees extension for full ROM. That is why I prefer my clients to do them on the swiss ball to get a full ROM and not on the floor.

Most people don't get proper extension when doing crunches on the Stability ball and they come up WAY to far.  It's almost like they're just sitting on it...then rock back and forth.  Doing a proper crunch is hard for beginners, most people shake wildly.

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 12:45:04 PM »
Most people don't get proper extension when doing crunches on the Stability ball and they come up WAY to far.  It's almost like they're just sitting on it...then rock back and forth.  Doing a proper crunch is hard for beginners, most people shake wildly.

yeah so....they just need to be taught how to do it correctly doesn't mean they shouldn't use it...it's better than being on the floor.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 03:26:02 PM »
yeah so....they just need to be taught how to do it correctly doesn't mean they shouldn't use it...it's better than being on the floor.

That's what I was saying.  Floor crunches are very unnatural.

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 03:50:57 PM »
That's what I was saying.  Floor crunches are very unnatural.

sorry my bad!!!   ;D