Author Topic: Looking Back - Blasts from the past  (Read 344163 times)

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
Re: Looking Back - Blasts from the past
« Reply #475 on: November 22, 2015, 11:42:17 AM »
The preferred bar thickness is very personal. I prefer a thin one for back movements, but a thick one for pressing movements since the weight is better distributed on the surface of your hand. That's why a pair of thick bar grips is a nice accessory.

I tried a pair of "Fat Grips" (SP?) the other day on BB Curls and close grip benches.  It was okay.  I used to use a 3+ inch bar about 12 years ago for those movements.  I like thick bar training but need to be careful.  Dammit!  ;D

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #476 on: November 22, 2015, 12:05:21 PM »
I tried a pair of "Fat Grips" (SP?) the other day on BB Curls and close grip benches.  It was okay.  I used to use a 3+ inch bar about 12 years ago for those movements.  I like thick bar training but need to be careful.  Dammit!  ;D

I have a pair of Manus grips who are almost the same as Fat gripz. Once you get used to it, you can increase the weights with your pressing movements, but you've got to leave your ego at the door during curls/rows. With most movements, I experience an improved mind/muscle connection & burn in the target area.
In the beginning, your forearms will hate you, but later they will thank you...

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #477 on: November 23, 2015, 12:29:34 PM »
I have a pair of Manus grips who are almost the same as Fat gripz. Once you get used to it, you can increase the weights with your pressing movements, but you've got to leave your ego at the door during curls/rows. With most movements, I experience an improved mind/muscle connection & burn in the target area.
Nice input DP.......seriously.
I've been wondering about straps and stuff in general for many yrs.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #478 on: November 23, 2015, 01:12:07 PM »
Nice input DP.......seriously.
I've been wondering about straps and stuff in general for many yrs.

Straps are fine for heavy back training, since your back will always be stronger than your gripping strength. Just don't use them for every set.
Don't make the mistake to buy the cheapest one. It should be a long, wide & thick pair.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #479 on: November 27, 2015, 09:39:38 PM »
Great picture, that was an amazing comeback.
A few days ago I had a discussion with a friend about Lou's comeback. Being in the best shape of his life, we were both surprised that he didn't won the Master's 'O in '94.

I think his calves kept him from winning.  Too much speculation of being surgically enhanced. Probably was but IMO was the winner.   

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #480 on: November 28, 2015, 06:45:51 AM »

My elbows hated me.  I got to a single rep with a 3+ inch bar and 150 lbs.  Not much weight for most people but for me it was brutally  hard.  I also did some 2 inch thick DB tossing and catching with up 50s and that was HARD.  I prefer Dinosaur Training and H.I.T. to any other style but have to be careful. 

About 14 years ago I would take work breaks and throw a 3+ inch thick piece of brass we had laying around the shop (about 10 inches in length) about 8 or so feet in the air and alternate catching and throwing it until I couldn't do it any more.  FUN!    I highly recommend this movement for grip and bicep power.  I need to find my Dinosaur Training book and get inspired...  I got out my Mike Mentzer book and it is helping to fuel the passion too.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #481 on: November 28, 2015, 07:05:32 AM »
My elbows hated me.  I got to a single rep with a 3+ inch bar and 150 lbs.  Not much weight for most people but for me it was brutally  hard.  I also did some 2 inch thick DB tossing and catching with up 50s and that was HARD.  I prefer Dinosaur Training and H.I.T. to any other style but have to be careful.  

About 14 years ago I would take work breaks and throw a 3+ inch thick piece of brass we had laying around the shop (about 10 inches in length) about 8 or so feet in the air and alternate catching and throwing it until I couldn't do it any more.  FUN!    I highly recommend this movement for grip and bicep power.  I need to find my Dinosaur Training book and get inspired...  I got out my Mike Mentzer book and it is helping to fuel the passion too.

Interesting to hear, since I've never heard of someone who performs plyometric training for arms. This kind of training is highly effective for explosive strength/functional strength training, but -with all respect- since you're already at a certain age, I would not recommend this type of training and the same goes for HIT. In fact, I wouldn't recommend HIT to anyone, since it's too taxing on your joints & CNS, it's a guaranteed road to problems.
However, I have to give credits to Mike, since he was the first one who encouraged me to THINK about, and to apply LOGIC to training. However, practice combined with logic is your best teacher.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #482 on: November 28, 2015, 09:10:36 AM »
Interesting to hear, since I've never heard of someone who performs plyometric training for arms. This kind of training is highly effective for explosive strength/functional strength training, but -with all respect- since you're already at a certain age, I would not recommend this type of training and the same goes for HIT. In fact, I wouldn't recommend HIT to anyone, since it's too taxing on your joints & CNS, it's a guaranteed road to problems.
However, I have to give credits to Mike, since he was the first one who encouraged me to THINK about, and to apply LOGIC to training. However, practice combined with logic is your best teacher.

If I train to failure now, it's with so light a weight as to require upwards of 20 reps to reach that point.  As previously stated, I train now to keep myself out of a hospital. ;D

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #483 on: November 28, 2015, 09:27:32 AM »
If I train to failure now, it's with so light a weight as to require upwards of 20 reps to reach that point.  As previously stated, I train now to keep myself out of a hospital. ;D

OK, but regardless the weight/reps, training TO failure EACH time/day isn't the best thing you can do, not for hypertrophy/strength, not for your joints and not for your CNS. However, now I understand why you're so grumpy almost all the time ;D

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #484 on: November 28, 2015, 09:30:52 AM »
OK, but regardless the weight/reps, training TO failure EACH time/day isn't the best thing you can do, not for hypertrophy/strength, not for your joints and not for your CNS. However, now I understand why you're so grumpy almost all the time ;D

;D

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #485 on: December 05, 2015, 07:17:19 PM »
This was a really cool day, I had Kevin Levrone in Australia early 90s to guest pose and he didn't know that Sonny would be in Melbourne at the time. So when I bought Sonny up on stage Kevin was genuinely touched and we had a great on stage chat with a few laughs. They knew each other really well from being on the road especially the European Grand Prix circuit. They had a great respect for each other and Sonny had some great Kevin stories.

My favorite one went something like this. They were at a seminar at a gym in Germany doing a Q&A type talk when one of the fans asked Kevin how strong he was, he answered, "pretty strong". They kept asking how many sets and reps etc. He finally answered by suggesting that they set up a bench and weights to find out how strong he was. Sonny said that completely cold, no warm up he benched at 4 plates a side and smashed out an easy 20 reps. Sonny and they fans could not believe their eyes and Kevin just kept on with the seminar like nothing special had happened.

::)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #486 on: December 30, 2015, 06:28:34 PM »
Dorian's first ever USA show, New York Night Of Champions 1990 with Beneziza who won the show. I got to MC the contest which was a big thing for me at the time, I went from a small country town in Australia to the Beacon Theater on Broadway.

Wish I'd have seen dorIan in person.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #487 on: March 17, 2016, 11:12:49 AM »
is this your gym ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
F

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #488 on: April 27, 2016, 12:16:13 PM »
Dorian's first ever USA show, New York Night Of Champions 1990 with Beneziza who won the show. I got to MC the contest which was a big thing for me at the time, I went from a small country town in Australia to the Beacon Theater on Broadway.

that has to be a cool memory right there.

Surreal to see so many BBers that have passed. 

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #489 on: May 02, 2016, 03:34:35 AM »

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #490 on: May 02, 2016, 03:35:45 AM »
that has to be a cool memory right there.

Surreal to see so many BBers that have passed. 

Yes my friend, it was very cool announcing Dorian for the first time ever in USA.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #491 on: May 02, 2016, 04:24:53 AM »
Nice to see you back Tony. I would like to compliment you for the great stage design and lightening during the last AC, it brings back memories to the Ironman Pro.

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #492 on: May 06, 2016, 06:49:15 PM »
Nice to see you back Tony. I would like to compliment you for the great stage design and lightening during the last AC, it brings back memories to the Ironman Pro.

Thank you, I put so much effort into that, I'm glad it is appreciated.

curtjames

• Getbig II
  • Getbig n00b
« Reply #493 on: May 25, 2016, 05:06:00 PM »
Thank you, I put so much effort into that, I'm glad it is appreciated.

Awesome thread. Just fantastic!

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #494 on: May 25, 2016, 05:41:29 PM »
Awesome thread. Just fantastic!
If I had a ban button right now....
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #495 on: May 26, 2016, 04:16:14 AM »
If I had a ban button right now....

Say that to Donna

6 Reps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #496 on: June 12, 2016, 07:32:11 AM »
Tony,
Looks like one of your guys:

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #497 on: August 16, 2016, 02:46:33 PM »
Watched the Mutant on a Mission show with your gym Tony, good shit.

"