Author Topic: Judge Sentences Parents Of Michigan School Shooter To 10-15 Years In Prison  (Read 1027 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
I'm on the fence on this one.  Definitely think parents should have some accountability for the acts of their minor children.  But putting them away for 10 to 15 years when they had no involvement in the planning of the murder committed by their kid? 

Judge Sentences Parents Of Michigan School Shooter To 10-15 Years In Prison
KATE ANDERSON
CONTRIBUTOR
April 09, 2024

James and Jennifer Crumbley made history Tuesday as the first parents to be convicted and sentenced concerning their child’s school shooting that resulted in the death of four students at Oxford High School in Michigan in 2021, according to NBC News.

The Crumbleys were convicted of involuntary manslaughter in March after the prosecution argued the parents showed a “significant lack of remorse” and James Crumbley threatened the rosecuting attorney Karen McDonald, according to CNN. Judge Cheryl Matthews ordered that both James and Jennifer Crumbley be sentenced to 10 to 15 years after the prosecution requested the maximum 15-year sentences for both defendants, according to NBC News.

Ethan Crumbley was 15 when he shot and killed four students and injured seven others in November 2021 and later he was charged with four counts of first-degree murder, one count of terrorism causing death, seven counts of assault with intent to murder, and 12 counts of felony firearm. The prosecution in James and Jennifer’s cases argued that both parents had been willfully negligent regarding their son and that James Crumbley buying the murder weapon made him complicit.

During their sentencing, James and Jennifer Crumbley apologized to the families of their son’s victims, according to CNN.

“I sit here today to express my deepest sorrows for the families of Hana, Tate, Madisyn, Justin and to all those affected on November 30, 2021,” Jennifer Crumbley said.

“I want to say I can’t imagine the pain and agony … for the families that have lost their children and what they are experiencing and what they are going through,” James Crumbley said in his statement. “As a parent, our biggest fear is losing our child or our children, and to lose a child is unimaginable. My heart is really broken for everybody involved.”

Matthews announced Tuesday that the parents and their son would not be held in the same facility together, according to NBC News. Jennifer Crumbley will go to the state’s female prison and Ethan Crumbley is in a state prison near Oxford, Michigan.

https://dailycaller.com/2024/04/09/parents-sentenced-childs-school-michigan/?pnespid=urRoBihCPvsT3vaYrSW6CpCVvg_rUYInI.HhxOBk8x1mH_0RzXqBlVJrIPyOe.bxOhX.ApSq3Q

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
I'm on the fence on this one.  Definitely think parents should have some accountability for the acts of their minor children.  But putting them away for 10 to 15 years when they had no involvement in the planning of the murder committed by their kid? 

Judge Sentences Parents Of Michigan School Shooter To 10-15 Years In Prison
KATE ANDERSON
CONTRIBUTOR
April 09, 2024

James and Jennifer Crumbley made history Tuesday as the first parents to be convicted and sentenced concerning their child’s school shooting that resulted in the death of four students at Oxford High School in Michigan in 2021, according to NBC News.

The Crumbleys were convicted of involuntary manslaughter in March after the prosecution argued the parents showed a “significant lack of remorse” and James Crumbley threatened the rosecuting attorney Karen McDonald, according to CNN. Judge Cheryl Matthews ordered that both James and Jennifer Crumbley be sentenced to 10 to 15 years after the prosecution requested the maximum 15-year sentences for both defendants, according to NBC News.

Ethan Crumbley was 15 when he shot and killed four students and injured seven others in November 2021 and later he was charged with four counts of first-degree murder, one count of terrorism causing death, seven counts of assault with intent to murder, and 12 counts of felony firearm. The prosecution in James and Jennifer’s cases argued that both parents had been willfully negligent regarding their son and that James Crumbley buying the murder weapon made him complicit.

During their sentencing, James and Jennifer Crumbley apologized to the families of their son’s victims, according to CNN.

“I sit here today to express my deepest sorrows for the families of Hana, Tate, Madisyn, Justin and to all those affected on November 30, 2021,” Jennifer Crumbley said.

“I want to say I can’t imagine the pain and agony … for the families that have lost their children and what they are experiencing and what they are going through,” James Crumbley said in his statement. “As a parent, our biggest fear is losing our child or our children, and to lose a child is unimaginable. My heart is really broken for everybody involved.”

Matthews announced Tuesday that the parents and their son would not be held in the same facility together, according to NBC News. Jennifer Crumbley will go to the state’s female prison and Ethan Crumbley is in a state prison near Oxford, Michigan.

https://dailycaller.com/2024/04/09/parents-sentenced-childs-school-michigan/?pnespid=urRoBihCPvsT3vaYrSW6CpCVvg_rUYInI.HhxOBk8x1mH_0RzXqBlVJrIPyOe.bxOhX.ApSq3Q

Judge Cheryl Mathews' statement to the James and Jennifer Crumbly says it all, "Mr. Crumbley, it's clear to this court that because of you, there was unfettered access to a gun or guns, as well as ammunition, in your home."

Message to parents who have guns, keep guns secured. This is a horrific tragedy where there are no winners, only losers.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Judge Cheryl Mathews' statement to the James and Jennifer Crumbly says it all, "Mr. Crumbley, it's clear to this court that because of you, there was unfettered access to a gun or guns, as well as ammunition, in your home."

Message to parents who have guns, keep guns secured. This is a horrific tragedy where there are no winners, only losers.

Unfettered access to lawfully obtained firearms, absent the parents encouraging the kid to use them to murder people, does not sound like something that should result in a 10 to 15 year prison sentence.

There has to be some accountability if the parents were reckless or irresponsible.  I'm just not sure where society should draw the line. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Unfettered access to lawfully obtained firearms, absent the parents encouraging the kid to use them to murder people, does not sound like something that should result in a 10 to 15 year prison sentence.

There has to be some accountability if the parents were reckless or irresponsible.  I'm just not sure where society should draw the line.

Because of the uptick in horrific mass school shootings which has put the problem at the forefront of people's minds, I suspect the Judge is making an example of these parents. I cannot know this for sure because I have not closely followed the case or the trial. It also did not help the Crumbleys’ defense that they are seemingly unsympathetic or remorseful. If their sentence is unreasonably excessive, they should be able to appeal it.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan

This. The kid is going away obviously, not sure how long. But to send his parents away for 10-15 seems quite extreme. If they intentionally provided the gun and ammo, helped some sort of planning or were involved in any way with the shooting, I might understand.
 Does anyone know how he got the gun and ammo? Did his parents let him keep it in his room? Was it stored away somewhere and he snuck it? I feel like we need some more details before I can be on board with 10-15.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
This. The kid is going away obviously, not sure how long. But to send his parents away for 10-15 seems quite extreme. If they intentionally provided the gun and ammo, helped some sort of planning or were involved in any way with the shooting, I might understand.
 Does anyone know how he got the gun and ammo? Did his parents let him keep it in his room? Was it stored away somewhere and he snuck it? I feel like we need some more details before I can be on board with 10-15.

Who knows besides the parents and their son what access he had to the gun. I read somewhere that his father bought it as a birthday gift, which is not necessarily wrong if the intention was it be under the under his father’s supervision. The other thing I read is that the boy showed mental health problems, which if this is true, the gift of gun is not a viable choice. That is the problem with speculative criticism, we do it without full knowledge of the circumstances. Maybe you had to be there in court during the trial, rather than drawing conclusions using information filtered through the media.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Who knows besides the parents and their son what access he had to the gun. I read somewhere that his father bought it as a birthday gift, which is not necessarily wrong if the intention was it be under the under his father’s supervision. The other thing I read is that the boy showed mental health problems, which if this is true, the gift of gun is not a viable choice. That is the problem with speculative criticism, we do it without full knowledge of the circumstances. Maybe you had to be there in court during the trial, rather than drawing conclusions using information filtered through the media.

I would have to know more details. Details the judge likely has.  It's been my experience parents are THE WORST at recognizing obvious behaviors that are detrimental from their children.  I've had parents arguing their child would not do ____ yet the evidence was overwhelming. In our past we've seen cases where in my opinion, parents were grossly negligent in ignoring the obvious warning signs their child was about to do grievous harm. I'm all for setting an example that parents have a responsibility to take action when their child exhibits behavior that a reasonable person would believe would  or very possibly could lead to harm of others.. But for THIS specific case, I have very little information so I can't say yay or nay. But I would certainly support any reprecussions for parents obviously ignoring blatant clues.   

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Start at the :48 mark and go all the way to the end of the story

i=Tem2WlYjMn69WMXN

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Start at the :48 mark and go all the way to the end of the story

i=Tem2WlYjMn69WMXN

Do you have anything from a news source? This says Newsmax.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

Newsmax, which is part of the White House Press Corps, with James Rosen as its Chief White House Correspondent.  lol 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/oxford-school-shooting-ethan-crumbley-parents.html

Pretty in depth...

Having read it, I'm still on the fence. Were the parents pretty bad parents, probably. I'd be more against the sentencing if he had accessed one of his parents guns, but it looks like Mom, knowing son what cuckoo, bought him a gun for xmas... a handgun... 17 years old, showing obvious psychotic behavior...

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Newsmax, which is part of the White House Press Corps, with James Rosen as its Chief White House Correspondent.  lol
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/newsmax-bias-credibilty-reliability/

A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency, and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact-checked on a per-article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.

We rate Newsmax Right Biased and Questionable based on the promotion of conspiracy theories and pseudoscience as well as numerous failed fact checks.

.........lol

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/newsmax-bias-credibilty-reliability/

A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency, and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact-checked on a per-article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.

We rate Newsmax Right Biased and Questionable based on the promotion of conspiracy theories and pseudoscience as well as numerous failed fact checks.

.........lol

Media Bias Fact Check says this about CNN:

"Overall, we rate CNN moderately left-center biased based on editorial positions by TV hosts that consistently favor the left, while straight news reporting falls just left of center through bias by omission. We also rate them as Mostly Factual in reporting rather than high due to two failed fact checks in the last five years."

This is comical.  ;D

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit

You seriously posted a link from NYMag of all places. This is why I call bullshit on you being any kind of a "detective" because if you would have watched it you would have known that the media lied their asses off saying that the parents refused to take home from the school.

As per the Detroit Free Press, the counselor said "I did not say state that they refused" said counselor Shawn Hopkins in a September deposition in which he explained how and why he made the decision to keep Ethan Crumbly in school that day.

Dean of Students Nicholas Jack also disclosed that while officials recommended that the Crumblys get their son into therapy, they agreed that it didn't have to be done right away. "There would have been no reason for him to go home" Ejak testified...It was just as important that he talked with somebody...get started on some outside counseling"

Just admit that you were either a dirty cop with an agenda or you're just flat out full of shit.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit

"Overall, we rate CNN moderately left-center biased based on editorial positions by TV hosts that consistently favor the left, while straight news reporting falls just left of center through bias by omission. We also rate them as Mostly Factual in reporting rather than high due to two failed fact checks in the last five years."

This is comical.  ;D

Agnostic is COMPLETLY full of shit. Even more than Lurker and Prime

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Agnostic is COMPLETLY full of shit. Even more than Lurker and Prime

Oh I know.  It's just incredible how many of these people are unable to think for themselves or expose themselves to anything that disagrees with their world view. 

chaos

• Getbig V

This is comical.  ;D
LOL....oops, guess that backfired.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
You seriously posted a link from NYMag of all places. This is why I call bullshit on you being any kind of a "detective" because if you would have watched it you would have known that the media lied their asses off saying that the parents refused to take home from the school.

As per the Detroit Free Press, the counselor said "I did not say state that they refused" said counselor Shawn Hopkins in a September deposition in which he explained how and why he made the decision to keep Ethan Crumbly in school that day.

Dean of Students Nicholas Jack also disclosed that while officials recommended that the Crumblys get their son into therapy, they agreed that it didn't have to be done right away. "There would have been no reason for him to go home" Ejak testified...It was just as important that he talked with somebody...get started on some outside counseling"

Just admit that you were either a dirty cop with an agenda or you're just flat out full of shit.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Oh I know.  It's just incredible how many of these people are unable to think for themselves or expose themselves to anything that disagrees with their world view.

The irony while reading your post is palpable.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
LOL....oops, guess that backfired.

No, white noise, I agree with that assessment on CNN. I also agree with the assessment on Newsmax

chaos

• Getbig V
No, white noise, I agree with that assessment on CNN. I also agree with the assessment on Newsmax
Of course you do, because you're fucking retarded.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
The irony while reading your post is palpable.

You have a remarkable ability to type words that have no meaning. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Of course you do, because you're fucking retarded.

We probably shouldn't be posting in the same thread because I believe this is the same person who accused us of being the same person.  lol

Gym Rat

• Getbig V
  • Libturdz Love The Caulk

Go fukk yourself caulk-gobbler...