Author Topic: Belt  (Read 1735 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Belt
« on: January 11, 2014, 12:46:57 PM »
I stopped using a belt over ten years ago. I have never looked back. When I was young everyone had a weightlifting belt. It was just accepted that it prevented injury. Then I reached a point where I would just use it for the big lifts like cleans, deads and squats. Watching world class elite Olympic weightlifters I noticed more and more of them weren't wearing them. Would a belt really help prevent injury? If they could lift a 400lbs barbell from the ground to over head and do rock bottom squats without one why do I need one? 

I stopped using a belt and first it felt like I was naked.  It just felt weird squatting without one. It was almost like a security blanket. Soon I realized it was doing nothing for me.  Maybe a powerlifter needs it do his hip lock half squat with all the support gear but a bodybuilder?  After lifting for years without one I finally walked up to my belt and threw in the garbage.

Wez

• Getbig IV
Re: Belt
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 12:48:10 PM »
Never wear one either. Only heavy DLs....and I rarely do them anymore.

Kurt

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 01:26:41 PM »
I gave up my training belt years ago as well.
Maybe if I had one of those snazzy personalized Valeo belts, I
would have kept using it longer.... ;D

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 02:45:18 AM »
i only wear belt when i'm trying for new pr in my dl and squats
proper form and you will never need a belt
T

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 01:21:17 PM »
Trapz101 makes a good point about proper style/form.

See a few people wearing a lifting belt, though the belt thing seems to come and go over the years. Do whatever you believe is best for you. Some will cinch up the buckles  to draw in the waist and give the illusion of a "V" taper their whole time in the gym...not that BB'ers are vain or anything like that.

A well designed belt can act as a semi brace, if wore the right way, and assist in lifts. Some more expensive belts are custom made, for the most part, to fit the curve of the lower back/spine and obliques and are measured for the proper height......assuring proper support. If you do have a belt that you like (but not custom made) than might suggest putting a folded up towel against the lower back and the belt, to whatever thickness you wish, and tighten it up that way. Can give much better support for most guy's.

Lifting belts, in serious training, are usually only required for lower rep efforts; like 1 to 3 reps. . Lifting belts, to get the most out of them, need to be extremely tight, which in return can cause cutting off of blood circulation and impaired breathing. A few lifters have blacked out from this affect. May also raise the  the blood pressure to a higher degree.

Working the ab's strongly, with added weight and lower reps, can do much to assist the all around strength of the lower back. If guy's worked the ab's as strongly as the back, belts may  be a thing of the past.  But than agin, that would be personal choice for you.  Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 08:49:23 AM »
I have a Belt but i hate it .. just the Feeling of tightness. Remember reading Gironda advised wearing one because without it during heavy Training you will get an over developed waist line...load of Bollocks. I think if your diet is spot on the heavy lifts will Train your abs without ever doing a crunch. I do however Think a bit of direct ab Training is good.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 02:19:10 PM »
I use a weight belt. It's a simple Valeo leather belt that I bought ten years ago. I use it only when necessary and only for one exercise per workout. For example my last workout I did bent over rows, dips, and front squats. I used the belt only for my heaviest set of barbell rows and put it back in my gym bag.

IMO it is very important to get your midsection and lower back stronger without using a belt, but so is not limiting the weight that you can use on an exercise by not wearing one. So I pick my battles, I will pick one exercise per workout and really try to push the weights whether it's in the 8-12, 6-9, or 4-6 rep range and that is the only movement that the belt will be used for and only on my heaviest sets. Everything else no belt, no straps, no matter what the exercise is.

A weight belt is a great training tool that has been used for decades and I will continue to use it as such.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 08:28:09 PM »
I use a weight belt. It's a simple Valeo leather belt that I bought ten years ago. I use it only when necessary and only for one exercise per workout. For example my last workout I did bent over rows, dips, and front squats. I used the belt only for my heaviest set of barbell rows and put it back in my gym bag.

IMO it is very important to get your midsection and lower back stronger without using a belt, but so is not limiting the weight that you can use on an exercise by not wearing one. So I pick my battles, I will pick one exercise per workout and really try to push the weights whether it's in the 8-12, 6-9, or 4-6 rep range and that is the only movement that the belt will be used for and only on my heaviest sets. Everything else no belt, no straps, no matter what the exercise is.

A weight belt is a great training tool that has been used for decades and I will continue to use it as such.

I can't agree with your rhetoric because it's based on the conclusion that you can lift more weight with a belt. I say if you do it's psychological.  The strongest and fastest men in the Iron sports are the Olympic lifters. They are allowed to use one. If it increased their lift they would use it. If a guy my weight can lift 400lbs over head from the floor with out a belt why am I using a belt to knock out reps in the deadlift with 400lbs?

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 11:38:53 PM »
I can't agree with your rhetoric because it's based on the conclusion that you can lift more weight with a belt. I say if you do it's psychological.  The strongest and fastest men in the Iron sports are the Olympic lifters. They are allowed to use one. If it increased their lift they would use it. If a guy my weight can lift 400lbs over head from the floor with out a belt why am I using a belt to knock out reps in the deadlift with 400lbs?

I can say without a doubt that I can lift more with a belt. If I had to estimate, the difference is around 5-10% but closer to 5%. Is some of it psychological? Perhaps. But I do know that my lower back feels a lot more stable with the belt on especially if I am using weights around 90% of 1rm or taking a higher rep set to failure or very close to it.

I am not 100% sure if weight belts are even allowed in Olympic weightlifting. Weight belts also limit your movement to some degree which is not ideal especially in the starting positions of the snatch and the clean and jerk.

I don't consider a weight belt a necessity especially if the person does not feel like they get very much out of it. But if someone has used it and saw a benefit there is no reason why it shouldn't be used as a tool in training (not a crutch).

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 04:56:34 AM »
Yes they are allowed in Olympic lifting. A few started competing without the belt which was unheard of. Slowly almost everyone stop using one. There is still a percentage of Olympic lifters using it but is gets smaller every year.

Lartinos

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2024, 06:46:25 PM »
I stopped using a belt over ten years ago. I have never looked back. When I was young everyone had a weightlifting belt. It was just accepted that it prevented injury. Then I reached a point where I would just use it for the big lifts like cleans, deads and squats. Watching world class elite Olympic weightlifters I noticed more and more of them weren't wearing them. Would a belt really help prevent injury? If they could lift a 400lbs barbell from the ground to over head and do rock bottom squats without one why do I need one? 

I stopped using a belt and first it felt like I was naked.  It just felt weird squatting without one. It was almost like a security blanket. Soon I realized it was doing nothing for me.  Maybe a powerlifter needs it do his hip lock half squat with all the support gear but a bodybuilder?  After lifting for years without one I finally walked up to my belt and threw in the garbage.

Still not wearing a belt?
They are helpful for me.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2024, 06:55:05 PM »
Still not wearing a belt?
They are helpful for me.

Only to keep baggy pants up. Haven't used one in many years. I noticed not too many guys use one in the gyms anymore. Use to be a very common sight and now it's rare.