Author Topic: need some parenting advice  (Read 9802 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: need some parenting advice
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2006, 08:10:10 AM »
I challenge you not to laugh when you see this:

ps: baby's have no sense of humor

I'm not a "baby person" but that was adorable!  I was laughing!
R

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2006, 11:11:48 AM »
Hi Rob,

At his age, there's not much for him to do but eat, sleep & poop.

I would avoid plopping him in front of the TV. Classical music is EXCELLENT for him, especially at his age.
It will soothe him, as well as contribute to his brain development. Mozart is especially good.

As well too you want to stimulate him. Not too much tho, as over stimulation can make him cranky, but plenty of touch. Benfun's advice about the bicycle is good. rotate his muscles, and baby massage is also very good. The more stimulation he receives in the form of human touch is great for his development, emotionally, physically and psychologically.

Talk to him, and let him know he's loved. Baby's his age, can't understand your words, but they do understand your feelings, and are far more psychic than people know. They are very much in touch with feelings... their own as well as the feelings of others, so try to keep your own stress level and feelings of hostility to a minimum so you don't transmit those to baby.

Get him hooked on healthy foods at an early age, ...and avoid the sweets. Alot of the commercial baby food manufacturers include a lot of starches as fillers, so if possible, avoid using bottled baby food and make your own. If there is an organic produce market near you, you can get organic fruits and vegetables, and make your own fruit & vegge juices, and purees just for baby when he's ready.

Most often new parents will use baby's nap time as the time to try to get things done, ...but that just leaves you disorganized and frazzled sometimes. Try to nap when baby naps and you might find yourself more refreshed.

ps - If you go anywhere like X-mas shopping, ...always remember the baby. Don't leave him at the mall.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2006, 11:13:00 AM »
I challenge you not to laugh when you see this:

ps: baby's have no sense of humor

What I find remarkable is that that woman has quadruplets... and she's smiling!  :o
w

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2006, 02:34:45 PM »
What I find remarkable is that that woman has quadruplets... and she's smiling!  :o
Do you have any kids Judi?   :)
:D Weee

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2006, 06:34:54 PM »
Do you have any kids Judi?   :)

I have nieces, ...and goldfish.  :D  But I have lots of friends who have kids, ...and babies seem to flock to me.
It's a real ego boost when parents can't soothe their own babies, and the little tykes just gravitate towards me and I know just what they need.  :D It happens all the time when I'm out in public. Babies just like me.

It used to piss my sister off when I could communicate with Crystal when she was only a few weeks old.
The very first day I met my niece I understood what each one of her cries meant while my poor sister was completely lost for a while.
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2006, 06:30:08 PM »
i am a few weeks into babysitting everyday all day. whew!  THANKS for the advice, all.  we probably go on 2-3 walks a day, have lots of tummy time, music time, nap time.  sometimes even getbig time!

Original Sin

• Getbig IV
  • You fucking disappoint me!
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2006, 07:48:08 PM »
i am a few weeks into babysitting everyday all day. whew!  THANKS for the advice, all.  we probably go on 2-3 walks a day, have lots of tummy time, music time, nap time.  sometimes even getbig time!

You got that little blighter a job yet?  ;)
Just Bad Bad Blood!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2006, 08:12:52 PM »
he's 8 weeks old.  He punches me in the face about 8 times a day.  Kicks me about 30 times.  He hates the getbig beige. :)   

eats all day.  loves to make faces.  has rolled over a few times when annoyed with tummy time.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2006, 08:39:28 PM »

BABYSITTING?!  :o

You are NOT babysitting. Babysitting is done by 12 yr old girls for other people's kids.

What YOU are doing is taking care of, and raising your son. (something you're supposed to do)  ::)
w

newmom

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2006, 08:55:27 PM »
Rob what a great picture...

As I'm still a stay at home mom and have been since the day she was born..you just have to wing it and then you will figure it out. To be honest with you, baby einsteins are great. Princess's dad has a dvd burner and with netflix well you figure it out. I think she has them all now. One thing I will tell you is this, pretty soon leave him in his playpen or carseat (make sure safe and secure) but no tv on, and let him learn to independently play byhimself. It will help build independence. I'm sure you are doing a great job with him. Make sure you are reading to him even if he doesnt understand and do sign language with him as well.

newmom

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2006, 09:02:35 PM »
when he is fussy and crying..for example if he is in his crib give him a few mintues to cry it out. I dont know if its just jackie but she is a self soother, I would say I used this method after 3 months and works like a charm. I was so sleep deprived the first 4 months. The first month was tough for me and her I'm sure, there were times she would cry and she wasnt hungry and a clean diaper, I just had to put her in her crib and leave her room for like 10 mintues and by the time I got back she was fine. Now she is almost 16 months and if she cries I say mommy doesnt understand u when u cry. If she wants something she cant have or sees I give her an option for something she can have and that seems to work. I remember reading on mommy boards like americanbaby.com, show the baby respect. For example, when I was changing her diaper, I would say jackie mommy is changing your diaper. I do talk to her all the time and lately her vocabulary is growing. Ut oh is her new words. But since she started walking 4 months ago, anytime I do something she sees I tell her what I'm doing. Today she put her diaper in the diaper champ. I closed the diaper and said jackie put this in trash and she looked at it and walked over and put it in. and she gave me a high five.

AVBG

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2006, 09:05:04 PM »
BABYSITTING?!  :o

You are NOT babysitting. Babysitting is done by 12 yr old girls for other people's kids.

What YOU are doing is taking care of, and raising your son. (something you're supposed to do)  ::)

Jag 1 , Rob 0

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2006, 09:36:15 PM »
Great point Newmom,

Talking to them is great, ...and not that stupid babytalk that is sooooo tempting to do, but actual talking to them with respect. It does wonders for their vocabulary. My niece is 4, and her kindergarten teacher is just blown away with her. Her vocabulary sometimes even blows me away. She even reads to the rest of the kindergarten class. And it's because she was constantly surrounded by older people, and bonding with her two teenage step sisters, and because when my sister was pregnant, she went all out. Had Crystals library stocked for years so she can progress at her own pace rather than the pace the school boards set for kids. She's in kindergarten but effectively functioning at the 4th grade level.

Treating them with respect and not patronizingly is very important. I remember from day one, when she was crying and my sister couldn't figure out why... my sister would just calmly said to her "I'm sorry honey, I don't understand why you're crying." I could have sworn she was talking to an adult. My sister was so frustrated, but the final straw was when I started bawling too. I understood why Crystal was crying, but my sister wouldn't listen to me. All while we were growing up, my sister could never handle it when I cried. She always felt so helpless not knowing what to do. She kept insisting she couldn't possibly be hungry because she had just fed her, ...but I knew better. Finally I blubbered "For Crying out loud just shove your tit in her mouth." My sister did, and to her surprise, ...there was milk. She couldn't understand how she could be hungry again when she had just fed her. It made both of us stop crying.  :)

What always cracks me up, is how baby will quickly become an appendage. It never ceases to amaze me when I watch new moms & dads going about their business with baby attached to them. They don't even give it a 2nd thought either. Then you'll say something to them like "Ya know, you'd make quicker progress if I held the baby while you do that", ...and they'll be shocked and surprised, and think... ya, you're right, ...but they've become so use to holding the baby while doing things. it's funny.

w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2006, 09:50:52 PM »
he's 8 weeks old.  He punches me in the face about 8 times a day.  Kicks me about 30 times.  He hates the getbig beige. :) 

Don't take it personally Rob, ...he's just acutely aware of his options and not happy about them.  :)
w

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2006, 06:15:50 AM »
Rob, please post that pic you emailed me this morning :D

If you don't want his face on getbig, you could photoshop a veil on it ala Michael Jackson  ;D
R