Author Topic: "Were Hollywood Stars of the Past as Scandalous as the Current Crop?"  (Read 1611 times)

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
From Parade.com

Q. Were Hollywood stars of the past as scandalous as the current crop?
—Ramon Saizar, San Francisco, Calif.

A. Worse. But their transgressions usually were concealed by studio publicists. Some that weren’t: “Fatty” Arbuckle was tried three times—and acquitted—of manslaughter in the 1921 death of a starlet during sex. In 1943, Errol Flynn was tried for the rape of two teenage girls. In 1958, Lana Turner’s daughter Cheryl, 14, killed Lana’s lover, mobster Johnny Stompanato.
R

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: "Were Hollywood Stars of the Past as Scandalous as the Current Crop?"
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 11:27:17 PM »
Even more so. Stars of the past were much more scandalous. Many of their escapades and crimes would cause tremendous shock & outrage, ...even by todays standards. But back then the studios controlled everything and everyone. Louella Parsons was one of THE most powerful people in hollywood (she ran the gossip colums of those days) and studios covered up much of the scandals which gave them additional holds over actors' lives. They were told who to marry and when etc., As a result, there were alot of unhappy marriages and alot of extra marital affairs, ...and alot of blackmail.

Some of the stuff that went down would blow your mind, ...and make today's scandals look tame in comparison.
w

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 04:22:52 PM »
Everything is under a microscope now. Thanks to the internet we get to see what the stars are doing 30 seconds after they do it. I took a film class and I had to read some book about Fatty Arbuckle quite a few years ago. I don't remember the name of the book, but it was pretty good.
E

leaky_frog

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 02:57:29 PM »
Hollywood Babylon is a great read for old Hollywood scandals

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 02:59:33 PM »
Hollywood Babylon is a great read for old Hollywood scandals

I might just have to but that. I like reading that shit.
E