Author Topic: Niners  (Read 144165 times)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: Niners
« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2020, 09:41:03 PM »
9ers FTW this year.
Y

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #126 on: January 20, 2020, 04:27:19 PM »
Should be a great game. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2020, 09:11:30 AM »
Should be a great game. 

Yeah, it's like playing a Russell Wilson with more weapons at his disposal.

WoogsRaven

• Getbig III
  • Whisper sumthin nice and I'll make ya scream twice
« Reply #128 on: January 24, 2020, 10:19:12 AM »
KC all day. Mahommes is too good, even against that 49er defense.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2020, 05:01:30 PM »
maybe the madden curse will get mahomes

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2020, 01:31:09 PM »
Yeah, it's like playing a Russell Wilson with more weapons at his disposal.

Will definitely be a test.  On the other hand, I don't think KC has faced a defense as good as SF this season.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2020, 01:31:59 PM »
KC all day. Mahommes is too good, even against that 49er defense.

I thought the same thing about the Ravens and Jackson against everyone in the AFC.  But that's why they play the game.  Any given Sunday. 

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #132 on: January 28, 2020, 05:11:49 PM »
I thought the same thing about the Ravens and Jackson against everyone in the AFC.  But that's why they play the game.  Any given Sunday. 

Was in Vegas for the conference championships.

Bet KC -7 (didn't like this but HAD to bet since I was watching game) and SF -8 (liked this a ton).

2 wins, + a teaser win.

Going with........SF, since they were my pre playoff pick.

Mahomes IS awesome though.

Y

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #133 on: January 28, 2020, 05:44:46 PM »

Was in Vegas for the conference championships.

Bet KC -7 (didn't like this but HAD to bet since I was watching game) and SF -8 (liked this a ton).

2 wins, + a teaser win.

Going with........SF, since they were my pre playoff pick.

Mahomes IS awesome though.

I'll obviously be rooting for my Niners, but I think this is a pick em game.  I have no idea how it will turn out.

I agree Mahomes is awesome.  I'm not sure he holds up for four quarters against the Niner D line.  With Dee Ford healthy, I think the pressure is coming.  He's going to have trouble getting the ball down the field.  But I think he'll still find a way to help them score.   

I also think Shanahan has done a brilliant job game planning/calling plays.  I just hope he doesn't have a brain cramp like he did against NE when he was with Atlanta. 

On a personal note, it would be nice to celebrate on Sunday because that Kobe loss was a real gut punch. 

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #134 on: January 29, 2020, 12:20:35 PM »
I'll obviously be rooting for my Niners, but I think this is a pick em game.  I have no idea how it will turn out.

I agree Mahomes is awesome.  I'm not sure he holds up for four quarters against the Niner D line.  With Dee Ford healthy, I think the pressure is coming.  He's going to have trouble getting the ball down the field.  But I think he'll still find a way to help them score.   

I also think Shanahan has done a brilliant job game planning/calling plays.  I just hope he doesn't have a brain cramp like he did against NE when he was with Atlanta. 

On a personal note, it would be nice to celebrate on Sunday because that Kobe loss was a real gut punch. 

Pass rush will prevent long looks downfield, just like with Rogers.

I will say the Chiefs defense surprised me with how they handled Henry.

As you say, it's a coin flip right now.

SF getting #6 and Jimmy G winning would bother Pats fans, so I'll go with that, lol.
Y

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: February 03, 2020, 11:49:07 AM »
Good game.  The better team won.  I never believed that “defense wins championships” line.  Give me a great offense over a great defense every time.

The Niners have a lot of great pieces to work with.  They need help in the secondary.  Sherman needs to retire, or play nickel.  They need another WR, although I’m interested to see what Jalen Hurd can do.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #136 on: February 03, 2020, 12:40:44 PM »
Good game.  The better team won.  I never believed that “defense wins championships” line.  Give me a great offense over a great defense every time.

The Niners have a lot of great pieces to work with.  They need help in the secondary.  Sherman needs to retire, or play nickel.  They need another WR, although I’m interested to see what Jalen Hurd can do.

defenses do win championships, your coach made bad play calls just like he did when he was with the falcons

is mahomes the first guy to not be affected by being on the cover of madden?

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #137 on: February 03, 2020, 01:04:40 PM »
defenses do win championships, your coach made bad play calls just like he did when he was with the falcons

is mahomes the first guy to not be affected by being on the cover of madden?

E

Yes Shanahan did a lousy job calling plays in the second half.  

Offense won this championship, like it does almost every year.  Only notable championships I can think of that had to ride their defense were the Bucs with Brad Johnson at QB and the Bears with McMahan at QB.  

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2020, 01:10:35 PM »
Yes Shanahan did a lousy job calling plays in the second half. 

Offensive won this championship, like it does almost every year.  Only notable championships I can think of that had to ride their defense were the Bucs with Brad Johnson at QB and the Bears with McMahan at QB. 

patriots in 2001
steelers in 2005 and 2008
seattle 2013
ravens 2000
steelers in the 70's

that's just off the top of my head, i'm sure there are more but these teams don't get anywhere near the super bowl without their defense

for whatever reason shanahan likes to throw the ball when his team has a double digit lead

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: February 03, 2020, 01:47:38 PM »
patriots in 2001
steelers in 2005 and 2008
seattle 2013
ravens 2000
steelers in the 70's

that's just off the top of my head, i'm sure there are more but these teams don't get anywhere near the super bowl without their defense

for whatever reason shanahan likes to throw the ball when his team has a double digit lead

E

Didn’t Brady lead his team to the game winning FG in 2001?
The 05 and 08 Steelers had a great D, but offense won those championships.
The 2000 Ravens had a great D, but they scored a lot of points, including 34 in the Super Bowl.  Yes they held the Giants to 7 points.
The 70s Steelers?  With Bradshaw, Franco, Swan, and Stallworth?  Yes the Steel Curtain was awesome, but without that offense they were not winning those Super Bowls.  

No question great defenses contribute to championships.  I’m just saying if it’s a contest between a great offense and a great defense, I’m taking the O.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #140 on: February 03, 2020, 03:38:07 PM »
Didn’t Brady lead his team to the game winning FG in 2001?
The 05 and 08 Steelers had a great D, but offensive won those championships.
The 2000 Ravens had a great D, but they scored a lot of points, including 34 in the Super Bowl.  Yes they held the Giants to 7 points.
The 70s Steelers?  With Bradshaw, Franco, Swan, and Stallworth?  Yes the Steel Curtain was awesome, but without that offense they were not winning those Super Bowls. 

No question great defenses contribute to championships.  I’m just saying if it’s a contest between a great offense and a great defense, I’m taking the O.

game winning FG wow what a great qb getting them into position to kick 48 yard FG and with about 130 total passing yards LOL

ben had about 17 touchdowns and 14 interceptions those super bowl years, defense carried his fat ass, makes me sick when people give him all the credit for those super bowls, team hasn't been close to the super bowl since the defense became a weak point

2000 ravens are remembered for their defense, not offense and that is not a debate

bradshaw has 4 rings yet is never mentioned among the all time greats, same with chuck noll, it all about that defense, swann and stallworth had to wait many years to get into the hall and look at their numbers they aren't very impressive

i forgot the giants too, they won with jeff hostetler for christ sake and the giants D line made brady's life miserable but eli gets the credit for two lucky catches

the broncos in 2015 with washed up peyton who got benched for brock osweiler during the season

name the team that won a super bowl with weak defense

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #141 on: February 03, 2020, 04:45:44 PM »
game winning FG wow what a great qb getting them into position to kick 48 yard FG and with about 130 total passing yards LOL

ben had about 17 touchdowns and 14 interceptions those super bowl years, defense carried his fat ass, makes me sick when people give him all the credit for those super bowls, team hasn't been close to the super bowl since the defense became a weak point

2000 ravens are remembered for their defense, not offense and that is not a debate

bradshaw has 4 rings yet is never mentioned among the all time greats, same with chuck noll, it all about that defense, swann and stallworth had to wait many years to get into the hall and look at their numbers they aren't very impressive

i forgot the giants too, they won with jeff hostetler for christ sake and the giants D line made brady's life miserable but eli gets the credit for two lucky catches

the broncos in 2015 with washed up peyton who got benched for brock osweiler during the season

E

Yes, the NE offense, not their D, drove for the game winning FG in 01.  

Never said Ben carried the Steelers.  

I know what the 2000 Ravens are remembered for.  I’m telling you why I think they won the Super Bowl.

So because people talk more about the Steel Curtain than their offense, and most people don’t consider Bradshaw to be the GOAT, the defense carried them to Super Bowl wins?  So forget about the fact Bradshaw, Franco, Stallworth, and Swan were Hall of Fame players?  Are you kidding?  Four HOF skill position players, not counting their offensive line?  

Denver won when Terrell Davis showed up.  

I don’t know if any team has ever won a championship with a “weak” defense OR a “weak” offense.  One is usually stronger than the other.  Maybe the Bucs with Johnson had a relatively weak offense.  

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #142 on: February 03, 2020, 04:58:20 PM »
Yes, the NE offense, not their D, drove for the game winning FG in 01.  

Never said Ben carried the Steelers.  

I know what the 2000 Ravens are remembered for.  I’m telling you why I think they won the Super Bowl.

So because people talk more about the Steel Curtain than their offense, and most people don’t consider Bradshaw to be the GOAT, the defense carried them to Super Bowl wins?  So forget about the fact Bradshaw, Franco, Stallworth, and Swan were Hall of Fame players?  Are you kidding?  Four HOF skill position players, not counting their offensive line?  

Denver won when Terrell Davis showed up.  

I don’t know if any team has ever won a championship with a “weak” defense OR a “weak” offense.  One is usually stronger than the other.  Maybe the Bucs with Johnson had a relatively weak offense.  

so one drive to get into FG position means they had a great offense?  not the pats defense holding the greatest show on turf to 17 points i think?  not ty law intercepting warner and returning it about 80 yards for a touchdown?

i'm telling you why you are wrong about the ravens winning the super bowl

yes the steelers steel curtain defense carried them, i'm in pittburgh absolutely nobody talks about that offense, the offense was good the defense was all time great

most in pittsburgh consider ben and antonio brown to be better than bradshaw, stallworth and swann

terrel davis played on the 2015 super bowl team?  that broncos team in the late 90's also had great defense so not sure what you are arguing

i gave you plenty examples of teams carried by their defense, just because their offense had a good game or two or one drive to get them into field goal position doesn't mean the offense was great

your coach lost you the game, not your offense

shanahan is like most people that don't learn from their mistakes and get stuck in bad habits

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #143 on: February 03, 2020, 05:46:57 PM »
so one drive to get into FG position means they had a great offense?  not the pats defense holding the greatest show on turf to 17 points i think?  not ty law intercepting warner and returning it about 80 yards for a touchdown?

i'm telling you why you are wrong about the ravens winning the super bowl

yes the steelers steel curtain defense carried them, i'm in pittburgh absolutely nobody talks about that offense, the offense was good the defense was all time great

most in pittsburgh consider ben and antonio brown to be better than bradshaw, stallworth and swann

terrel davis played on the 2015 super bowl team?  that broncos team in the late 90's also had great defense so not sure what you are arguing

i gave you plenty examples of teams carried by their defense, just because their offense had a good game or two or one drive to get them into field goal position doesn't mean the offense was great

your coach lost you the game, not your offense

shanahan is like most people that don't learn from their mistakes and get stuck in bad habits

E

Sorry I thought you mentioned Elway instead of Peyton.  Multi-tasking.  lol 

You have to be joking about the Steelers.  Who cares what people say?  You can downplay the fact they had four HOF skill position players on the field at the same, plus a HOF center, but I don't. 

Yes, Shannon called a lousy second half.  I definitely put part of the blame on him, but the better team won.  On to next year. 

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2020, 07:16:39 PM »
Sorry I thought you mentioned Elway instead of Peyton.  Multi-tasking.  lol 

You have to be joking about the Steelers.  Who cares what people say?  You can downplay the fact they had four HOF skill position players on the field at the same, plus a HOF center, but I don't. 

Yes, Shannon called a lousy second half.  I definitely put part of the blame on him, but the better team won.  On to next year. 

well why isn't a 4 time super bowl winning qb ever mentioned among the best ever?  brady got to 4 rings and people started calling him the goat, bradshaw was the first to get there yet was never called the best

why did it take swann and stallworth about 15 years or so to get into the hall of fame if they were so great? 

not downplaying them, i'm telling it how it is there is a reason that defense is still praised to this day, they were the stars

the 49ers were always thought to be the better team, i still think they are and mahomes wasn't great he threw 2 interceptions and completed 26 out of 42 passes, the 49ers gave up so i hardly count that last rushing touchdown

that game proved coaching matters not having the best offense

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2020, 08:02:22 PM »
well why isn't a 4 time super bowl winning qb ever mentioned among the best ever?  brady got to 4 rings and people started calling him the goat, bradshaw was the first to get there yet was never called the best

why did it take swann and stallworth about 15 years or so to get into the hall of fame if they were so great? 

not downplaying them, i'm telling it how it is there is a reason that defense is still praised to this day, they were the stars

the 49ers were always thought to be the better team, i still think they are and mahomes wasn't great he threw 2 interceptions and completed 26 out of 42 passes, the 49ers gave up so i hardly count that last rushing touchdown

that game proved coaching matters not having the best offense

E

We're not talking about whether they were the greatest of all time.  We're talking about whether they had a great offense.  They clearly did.  What difference does it make if it took a while for them to get in the HOF?  Theyr'e in.  Bradshaw, Franco, Swan, Stallworth, and Webster are among the best to ever play the game, but the issue is whether they were part of a great offense.  They were.   

I thought the Niners might have had the better overall team, but they didn't play like the better team for four quarters.  Plus KC's offense was just too good.  Even with Shanahan's poor second half play calling, KC still had to score twice in the fourth quarter, against a great defense.  That's what ultimately won the game IMO. 

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2020, 11:46:15 AM »

E

The Ravens did squat on offense. Please stop that argument man, you’re making yourself look silly.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #147 on: February 16, 2020, 12:54:30 PM »
The Ravens did squat on offense. Please stop that argument man, you’re making yourself look silly.

i'm arguing that defense has won championships plenty of times, and then you say "ravens" did squat on offense" and i'm making myself look silly ???

whatever the hell you are trying to say, don't respond to a 2 week old argument only to say "stop the argument"

E
E

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #148 on: February 16, 2020, 06:23:15 PM »
i'm arguing that defense has won championships plenty of times, and then you say "ravens" did squat on offense" and i'm making myself look silly ???

whatever the hell you are trying to say, don't respond to a 2 week old argument only to say "stop the argument"

E

I meant to quote Dos Equis and hit yours instead. I’m in agreement with you on most of that.

Steelers suck  ;D

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #149 on: February 17, 2020, 04:00:15 PM »
E