Author Topic: The Boys of Summer  (Read 134390 times)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: The Boys of Summer
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2016, 05:03:28 PM »
Obviously Jeter's the captain and was the real face of the team.

But for me, the "faces" of the Yankees in recent times were Teixeira and Nick Swisher  :)

Swisher was a great pickup at the time - true sabermetrics type move that was correct in the short term.

Although it was the right move and really set the Yankees up well, I'm bummed about trading Miller.  Guy was a class act all the way, and nasty on the mound.

I want Toronto or Tex in the AL, after that, anyone but Boston.  Price looks to be a BAD contract.  Love how Dombrowski traded their best pitching prospect for another #4.
Y

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2016, 07:42:05 AM »
Swisher was a great pickup at the time - true sabermetrics type move that was correct in the short term.

Although it was the right move and really set the Yankees up well, I'm bummed about trading Miller.  Guy was a class act all the way, and nasty on the mound.

I want Toronto or Tex in the AL, after that, anyone but Boston.  Price looks to be a BAD contract.  Love how Dombrowski traded their best pitching prospect for another #4.

maybe Dombrowski doesn't think that there's a difference between pitching in Petco & Fenway? haha

it'll be interesting to see what happens when Price has his opt out after a couple more seasons?  
if he chooses to stay in beantown then it'll be because he knows that he's being overpayed ...
and since red sox fans aren't too thrilled with him now, yeah, just wait for those last 5 years of his contract.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2016, 08:36:26 AM »
yanks doing what boston did few yrs ago when francona lost clubhouse..cleaning house McCann could be next,,i like him good power/good catcher but I guess not what they wanted for the $$$..

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2016, 09:59:47 AM »
maybe Dombrowski doesn't think that there's a difference between pitching in Petco & Fenway? haha

Exactly - a flyball pitcher should do extremely well in Fenway....lol.
Y

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2017, 05:48:48 AM »
Only about 6 weeks out from Opening Day! (so my time's almost up in Colombia)

AL East prediction ... Red Sox first ... Orioles last ... toss up between Jays/Rays/Yankees

Red Sox
Blue Jays (maybe 2nd wild card?)
Yankees
Rays
Orioles

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2017, 07:01:32 AM »
Only about 6 weeks out from Opening Day! (so my time's almost up in Colombia)

AL East prediction ... Red Sox first ... Orioles last ... toss up between Jays/Rays/Yankees

Red Sox
Yankees
Rays
Orioles

Can't really argue any of this.
Y

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2017, 08:31:46 AM »
Can't really argue any of this.

the final two weekends of the season have the Yankees in Toronto and then the Blue Jays in New York ...
and so hopefully both teams are still playing for keeps 'til the end.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2017, 10:40:53 AM »
the final two weekends of the season have the Yankees in Toronto and then the Blue Jays in New York ...
and so hopefully both teams are still playing for keeps 'til the end.

I support the Toronto region of my company as of yesterday, so I will definitely be timing my trips up  there appropriately.
Y

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2017, 02:48:35 PM »
I support the Toronto region of my company as of yesterday, so I will definitely be timing my trips up  there appropriately.

what's your take on the whole Betances-arbitration-Levine fallout?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2017, 01:06:29 PM »
what's your take on the whole Betances-arbitration-Levine fallout?

Levine was right in principal, but should have never said a f'n thing after the Yankees won.  He's an idiot in this regard.  Just shut up - he makes them look petty.

Betances agents were foolish.

Although, I did disagree with Levine talking about saves driving $$...even if true, it's an outdated concept.
Y

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2017, 01:09:19 PM »
Levine was right in principal, but should have never said a f'n thing after the Yankees won.  He's an idiot in this regard.  Just shut up - he makes them look petty.

Although, I did disagree with Levine talking about saves driving $$...even if true, it's an outdated concept.
saw yanks picked up jon niese former met,carter is going to give them much power needed if he can reproduce those #'s again yanks overspent on another former padre headley who hit 28 hrs 1 fuking yr and now couldn't hit 30 homers playing playstation baseball 17..

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2017, 02:08:42 PM »

yeah, the arb process rewards old-school stats whereas newer metrics put Betances in the top-5 reliever tier.

I've watched a ton of Yankees games the last 2 seasons (thanks to MLBTV) and it appears that Girardi has had the luxury of really leaning on Betances at times ... so it'll be interesting to see if Betances continues to be as accommodating re 2 inning outings and consecutive appearances ... ?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2017, 05:39:06 AM »
One thing was that Betances' agents completely had him unprepared for what was going to happen in the process.  A lot of stuff that went down was normal for arbitration, but he appeared to be caught off guard.

I know it's a different world, but he's getting 3 million bucks for 80 IP next year.  And if he's good, he'll make a ton of cash.

Wouldn't be surprised, if NY doesn't seem to progress, if the trade him for another massive haul.
Y

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2017, 07:48:06 AM »

Red Sox
Yankees
Rays
Orioles

10 days till opening day ... not ceding anything to the Bosox with Price's status for the season a big question mark and the Jays' 4th (or 5th) starter pitching the championship game for the USA in the WBC tonight.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2017, 02:02:27 PM »
10 days till opening day ... not ceding anything to the Bosox with Price's status for the season a big question mark and the Jays' 4th (or 5th) starter pitching the championship game for the USA in the WBC tonight.

Sounds about right.

Yankees lineup could be very good.

Pitching outside of Tanaka will hurt them.
Y

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2017, 06:22:41 AM »
I support the Toronto region of my company as of yesterday, so I will definitely be timing my trips up  there appropriately.
Nice! We have 10 games planned for this year. If the planets align, maybe there will be cans to be drunk.  :)

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2017, 06:25:03 AM »
Have tics. And the Jackie game. Let's hope on having the cans.  :)

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2017, 10:50:52 AM »
Have tics. And the Jackie game. Let's hope on having the cans.  :)

Did you buy a Game Pack or just individual games?  
What's the "Jackie" game?  
... there's no jacket giveaway (that i'm aware of) and so Jackie Robinson day? or Jackie Bradley Jr? haha
Yeah, hoping that one idiot from the WC game doesn't ruin it for the rest of us.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2017, 11:30:40 AM »
Nice! We have 10 games planned for this year. If the planets align, maybe there will be cans to be drunk.  :)

That would be cool.

Y

MuscleManDrew

• Getbig II
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2017, 06:06:36 PM »
Any Cardinals fans here?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2017, 07:55:41 AM »
Any Cardinals fans here?

There are not.
Y

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2017, 05:27:40 AM »

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2017, 06:34:27 AM »
latest phenom trey mancini of the orioles 7 hr his first 12 games to tie record..this dates back to his 2016 call up.
F

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2017, 09:55:09 AM »
Yanks are the hottest team going.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2017, 05:45:46 PM »