Author Topic: Building steam  (Read 3682 times)

Crossbones

• Getbig II
Building steam
« on: March 04, 2016, 05:00:56 PM »
Took some time off to wrap up my MA and managed to start building up a spare tyre around the waist. The fat creep reached my neck and face as well. Being close to 40 doesn't help since I don't burn up as fast as I used to. It's amazing how fast fat crept up in three months. I wasn't completely inactive but my gym visits dropped down to 2-3 a month.

Getting back on the horse with a plan to up my reps 12-15 a set with a heavy day for every bodypart every two weeks. since I have a few weeks left before I resume work I'm planning to add 2 workouts a day. 4-5 days a week. Weights and jogging. There are a couple of hills I can use for sprints although the toronto snowfalls can put a damper on that. Recovery will be a factor with multiple workouts. I read the bill pearl thread on this forum so I figured I'll avoid training to failure and give my self enough juice to get a good workout.  

Considering a more mma oriented workout - working on boxing /kickboxing fundamentals. Plyometrics etc. I haven't put together a solid plan yet just bouncing some ideas around to start with.

Food control will be a key factor so I'll have to make some serious adjustments in what I eat. I generally eat heathy-ish but snacking between meals especially in the winter was out of control and needs to be reined in.I'll throw in a ECA routine to help suppress appetite and help with the burning

What do you folks think? I have 3-4 weeks of off time before I start work again. Too short a time to make serious changes but I can do some damage before my work schedule takes priority. . Would be nice if I had access to gear to speed things up but maybe going through a blood sweat and tears slog through the mud approach will help build mental discipline.

Ideas?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Building steam
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 03:11:54 AM »
Run more. Eat less.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 04:03:23 AM »
Run more. Eat less.
yes really is that simple. Although some are better starting off walking till they drop a bit of weight then running. I knew a Guy in the Gym who suffered from Depression and was quite over weight. He started walking then jogging to the Gym. Really made a difference to him. However you have to set realistic goals and time frame to do all this.

Crossbones

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 02:59:39 PM »
I agree on the running part. Unfortunately Toronto has been pretty rainy and the area that I run in is pretty muddy. I avoid running on paved surfaces if I can help it. I have started doing hill sprints though. I try to do 5-10 depending on the incline. Legs feel like lead during the last 5 meters. Gonna keep pushing until conditioning improves.

Plan to do some stair climbing as well. Got DDP's yoga series so that would be a good filler in the middle of the day to get some stretching in and strengthen back ab muscles.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 05:31:08 PM »
Be careful with plyo
Your body is not used to it if you're getting back into it
w

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 05:08:45 PM »
I agree on the running part. Unfortunately Toronto has been pretty rainy and the area that I run in is pretty muddy. I avoid running on paved surfaces if I can help it. I have started doing hill sprints though. I try to do 5-10 depending on the incline. Legs feel like lead during the last 5 meters. Gonna keep pushing until conditioning improves.

Plan to do some stair climbing as well. Got DDP's yoga series so that would be a good filler in the middle of the day to get some stretching in and strengthen back ab muscles.

I live in TO as well... Ran every day this winter except a few... I suggest stairs as a great alternative.

Crossbones

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 08:05:33 PM »

I live in TO as well... Ran every day this winter except a few... I suggest stairs as a great alternative.

Where do you run? I live downtown so I usually head to river dale park or somewhere where there is greenery. Last time I jogged often was November of last year. I try to avoid running on the road if I can help it.

Yup stair climbing is good. I'm starting to love the uphill sprints.

I'm struggling with trying to increase my rep range. The two months I spent away from them seems to have given my body a nice break and I've added more weight to my lifts. Ego wants me to keep pushing my limits.. I thought of drop sets to change things up. Do a 10-12 rep set drop the weight by 50% and keep going. I'm putting that on my to do list next week and see how it goes. Maybe add some super sets...I'm still winging things with no concrete plans.