Author Topic: Giancarlo Stanton a Yankee!  (Read 16375 times)

tom joad

• Getbig V
Giancarlo Stanton a Yankee!
« on: December 09, 2017, 10:50:31 AM »
Wow.  Even as a Jays fan, i'm excited by this monster acquisition by a division rival.

For about 110 games each season, Stanton now will be mashing in the very cozy confines of Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park, Camden Yards, and the Skydome (Rogers Centre.)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Giancarlo Stanton a Yankee!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 11:28:25 AM »
Stanton, Judge and Sanchez batting 3,4,5. take your guesses how many hrs and k's this will produce. my quess 140 hr's and 550 k's for the trio
F

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 11:43:00 AM »
The most home runs by two teammates is 115 by Maris & The Mick in 1961.

Will Stanton & Judge top that?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 04:31:15 PM »
Never thought this was even a possibility.

Looks like Stanton had the Marlins over a barrel.

Yankees gave up nothing, and now have Stanton for an AAV similar to Ellsbury.

Might as well hope for another impossible thing - flip Frazier and pitching prospects for DeGrom or Bumgarner.
Y

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 04:36:58 PM »
Does this mean that the Yankees won't target Harper next winter, and just settle for Machado?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 05:00:49 PM »
Does this mean that the Yankees won't target Harper next winter, and just settle for Machado?

Can't see why they'd add him, but never know.

Machado made more sense anyway.
Y

QuietYou

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 05:05:29 PM »
Stanton, Judge and Sanchez batting 3,4,5. take your guesses how many hrs and k's this will produce. my quess 140 hr's and 550 k's for the trio

ur gonna be extremely disappointed if those are your expectations. Stanton just had a career year and Judge played some of the best ball ever for the first half of the season and second half was still good. I'd say 120 homers at MOST.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 05:29:58 PM »
ur gonna be extremely disappointed if those are your expectations. Stanton just had a career year and Judge played some of the best ball ever for the first half of the season and second half was still good. I'd say 120 homers at MOST.

40 each would be just fine.
Y

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 07:28:15 PM »
Aaron Boone is going to enjoy writing out that lineup card.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 08:36:13 PM »
Aaron Boone is going to enjoy writing out that lineup card.

Gregorious tweeted today: "Coach Boone, I'm still batting fourth, right?"

Or something like that.

Y

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 08:41:19 PM »
Boone doesn't have much room for any perceived underachievement ... taking over a young team that was one win away from making the World Series and that has added the NL MVP.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 08:48:57 PM »
Boone doesn't have much room for any perceived underachievement ... taking over a young team that was one win away from making the World Series and that has added the NL MVP.

I have no issue with Boone's hiring.  Literally, we know nothing.  Cashman is on absolute fire right now.

Muelens seemed like the best fit, but many who know Boone are lauding this move.

All good.

Gardner
Judge
Bird
Stanton
Sanchez
Gregorious
Torres
Hicks
Headley....

That's nuts.
Y

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 01:32:14 AM »
40 each would be just fine.
40 each would be amazing. Another '61 season? I'm kinda looking West to see if Otani does anything for Angels/Trout.   

QuietYou

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 01:36:59 AM »
40 each would be amazing. Another '61 season? I'm kinda looking West to see if Otani does anything for Angels/Trout.   

I'm inclined to think 120 at the very most honestly. It is impossible to replicate the season Judge and Stanton just had at the same time. Or the probability is very low. Are they both good players? Yes. Will they both hit over 30 barring no bad injuries? Yes. But Judge was a 25 year old rookie, not a 21 year old. So take the rookie season with a grain of salt. If their outfield is suffering, if Stanton is switch to DH, team chemistry, can all contribute to the amount of success they have together as a unit. I always think red sox when Crawford, Gonzalez etc. came with big money contract. The team was complete trash.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 05:25:11 AM »
I'm inclined to think 120 at the very most honestly. It is impossible to replicate the season Judge and Stanton just had at the same time. Or the probability is very low. Are they both good players? Yes. Will they both hit over 30 barring no bad injuries? Yes. But Judge was a 25 year old rookie, not a 21 year old. So take the rookie season with a grain of salt. If their outfield is suffering, if Stanton is switch to DH, team chemistry, can all contribute to the amount of success they have together as a unit. I always think red sox when Crawford, Gonzalez etc. came with big money contract. The team was complete trash.

I don't expect a repeat, but definitely strong seasons.

Why a grain of salt on Judge?  Average MLB rookie age is a bit over 24.  The stuff we've seen with Harper and Co is more of an outlier.

Chemistry is overrated, but won't be a problem with this team at all.  The DH will be a rotation of guys, which will be fine.

Crawford's problems were that he wasn't good.  His contract was way out of whack with his production.

Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 05:29:04 AM »

I think, even with Ohtani, Anaheim won't be seeing the playoffs any time soon.

Ohtani choice is a let down, not because I feel NY is entitled to every player or anything, but he was an absolute perfect fit for what the team needed at this time.  He could have been a part of a possibly incredible run.

Now, he'll wallow on a mediocre to bad team.

But at least the weather is warm.   ::)
Y

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 08:07:40 AM »
I think, even with Ohtani, Anaheim won't be seeing the playoffs any time soon.

Ohtani choice is a let down, not because I feel NY is entitled to every player or anything, but he was an absolute perfect fit for what the team needed at this time.  He could have been a part of a possibly incredible run.

Now, he'll wallow on a mediocre to bad team.

But at least the weather is warm.   ::)

Thanks to the 2nd wildcard, I don't think that the Angels playoff chances are that bleak.  Sure, they won't be challenging the Astros anytime soon.  But if Ohtani is a legit #1 starter - as scouts rave that he is - then the Angels are right there with the Twins knocking on access to the wildcard game door.  (Although the Twins have the advantage of playing more than 35% of their games against the woeful rebuilding Tigers, White Sox & Royals.)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 08:39:34 AM »
Thanks to the 2nd wildcard, I don't think that the Angels playoff chances are that bleak.  Sure, they won't be challenging the Astros anytime soon.  But if Ohtani is a legit #1 starter - as scouts rave that he is - then the Angels are right there with the Twins knocking on access to the wildcard game door.  (Although the Twins have the advantage of playing more than 35% of their games against the woeful rebuilding Tigers, White Sox & Royals.)

Boston in mix for second WC too.

Yankees just shed 13M more $$ with Headley salary dump trade to SD.
Y

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 08:51:13 AM »
Boston in mix for second WC too.

Yankees just shed 13M more $$ with Headley salary dump trade to SD.

Either the Red Sox or Yankees win the East; the other likely gets the 1st wildcard.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 09:28:37 AM »
Either the Red Sox or Yankees win the East; the other likely gets the 1st wildcard.

Honestly not concerned about Boston winning the division.  Flukey record in extra innings and one run games, while the Yankees had the opposite.

Yankees have a superior lineup, bullpen, and I think pitching at the end of the day.
Y

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2017, 09:37:55 AM »
Honestly not concerned about Boston winning the division.  Flukey record in extra innings and one run games, while the Yankees had the opposite.

Yankees have a superior lineup, bullpen, and I think pitching at the end of the day.

As of today, Fangraphs projects the Yankees to win one more game than the Red Sox in 2018 ...
(with more moves by both clubs to come.)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2017, 10:18:15 AM »
As of today, Fangraphs projects the Yankees to win one more game than the Red Sox in 2018 ...
(with more moves by both clubs to come.)

They're wrong.  But I will look.

I have a guy in my Toronto office (good baseball guy) I'm pinging with.....trying to get him to convert to Yankeedom.....his reply is always "fuck off".....but he hates Boston, so I'll take it.
Y

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2017, 07:57:08 AM »
Going to be fun to watch.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2018, 12:31:41 PM »
                                      record for 3 team mates is 143 by the 61 yanks.. maris 61,  mantle 54, moose s 28.
F

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2018, 06:46:42 AM »
ZiPS projections have Stanton hitting 55 HRs, which might be the most ever.  Not sure if I think that will happen.

But 2018 Yankees bullpen is predicted to be the best in history, by a wide margin.

Good reasons to be optimistic, but anything can happen in baseball.
Y