Author Topic: California law to ban/exterminate Pit Bulls  (Read 63299 times)

jmt1

• Getbig IV
California law to ban/exterminate Pit Bulls
« on: July 08, 2006, 07:26:02 PM »
these breed restriction laws are really fucked up...i know miami and denver have bans on pits already...anyone who has had a pit knows what a great dog they are...i'm not from cali but you can still sign this petition to stop sb861...

http://www.petitiononline.com/NOBSL/petition.html

jmt1

• Getbig IV
Re: California law to ban/exterminate Pit Bulls
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 07:27:55 PM »

G

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 07:52:09 PM »
pisses me off.Pits are the best looking dogs in the world.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 07:54:23 PM »
They imposed a ban on pit bulls here in Ontario.

Pet owners who currently have pits are allowed to keep them, but they must be spayed / neutered, and muzzled at all times when out of the home. No new pit bulls are allowed into the province.

Just before the ban went into effect, alot of pit owners gave up their dogs to the Humane Society, reasoning it would be too much of a hassle to keep them, ...and at the same time, alot of others went out of their way to adopt these animals from the Humane Society, to ensure they wouldn't be "put down" after the ban went into effect.

w

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 08:01:07 PM »
They should ban bad owners.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 08:07:24 PM »
They should ban bad owners.

correct.

idiots ruin it for everyone.  people who let aggressive dogs run wild around others are right up there with racists and car thiefs.  should be kneecapped upon arrest, no questions asked.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 08:10:09 PM »
i am looking at a pit as we speak and this is bullshit i have a bull mastiff(250+lbs) right now and i know how people are afraid of dogs but fuck California

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 08:31:16 PM »
 Body88...what's your take on this? Aren't you a dog lover? just curious.

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006, 09:01:32 PM »
hahahahah how many asinine laws will they come up with?
"Shut the F up and train"

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2006, 09:12:52 PM »
I've been asked to make this a sticky and I agree.  It's not the dog's fault or "in their character" to be violent, but what a d-head human may try to make them that makes them objectionable to society. 

Better to ban/exile/educate the humans that are turning this breed into a pariah.

We just had a few articles about dog-fighting that is prevalent in our area in our newspaper.  The jagoffs that engage in this make me sick.

One of the nicest dogs I've ever known (and one that helped me to get past my fear of dogs) was a pitbull.
R

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2006, 09:29:09 PM »
I've been asked to make this a sticky and I agree.  It's not the dog's fault or "in their character" to be violent, but what a d-head human may try to make them that makes them objectionable to society. 

Better to ban/exile/educate the humans that are turning this breed into a pariah.

We just had a few articles about dog-fighting that is prevalent in our area in our newspaper.  The jagoffs that engage in this make me sick.

One of the nicest dogs I've ever known (and one that helped me to get past my fear of dogs) was a pitbull.

Ahem... {pssst} STella, the word is "JERK-offs"
w

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2006, 09:32:46 PM »
I don't know about this pit bull thing......  I understand the point about the bad owners...  However about a 2-3 years ago i remember hearing on the news about an 11 year old boy who was walking home from school and got attacked by a pitt bull.  The kid died.  So it's hard for me hear about how they aren't dangerous.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2006, 09:45:15 PM »
I don't know about this pit bull thing......  I understand the point about the bad owners...  However about a 2-3 years ago i remember hearing on the news about an 11 year old boy who was walking home from school and got attacked by a pitt bull.  The kid died.  So it's hard for me hear about how they aren't dangerous.

well I can understand where ya come from ....but more than likely someone had purposely made that dog mean...and the kid paid the price. JMO

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2006, 09:51:19 PM »
  well I can understand where ya come from ....but more than likely someone had purposely made that dog mean...and the kid paid the price. JMO

Hence the desire for the ban. There's no question the problem is with bad dog owners rather than the breed, however, bad dog owners only come to light AFTER a vicious attack. And in some cases, pits with good owners have attacked as well. We recently had a case here in Toronto where a pit bull attacked a little girl who she had played with for years. The girl grew up next to the dog, and had a great relationship with the dog and the dog owner. One day, the dog out of the blue attacked the little girl. The owner who was beside herself with grief had the dog put down. Pits have a jaw that locks, and that makes them especially dangerous.
w

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2006, 09:52:52 PM »

pits by nature are very people friendly....in fact if you read up on the breed it will tell you that pits dont even make good watch dogs becuase they love people so much...i bet that dog was abused and mistreated by his owner...its also true that in alot of these cases the dogs are really some type of mix breed...but because it may be part pit or resemble a pit in some way, the media labels it as a pit bull only.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2006, 09:58:03 PM »
Hence the desire for the ban. There's no question the problem is with bad dog owners rather than the breed, however, bad dog owners only come to light AFTER a vicious attack. And in some cases, pits with good owners have attacked as well. We recently had a case here in Toronto where a pit bull attacked a little girl who she had played with for years. The girl grew up next to the dog, and had a great relationship with the dog and the dog owner. One day, the dog out of the blue attacked the little girl. The owner who was beside herself with grief had the dog put down. Pits have a jaw that locks, and that makes them especially dangerous.

i'm not saying your making that up but i would bet there is more to the story than that.

and pit bulls do not have jaws that lock...there in absolutely no mechanism for a pits jaw to lock....that is one of the many myths of the pit bull.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2006, 10:01:02 PM »
i'm not saying your making that up but i would bet there is more to the story than that.

Yah there was. The pit bull had just had pups.

and pit bulls do not have jaws that lock...there in absolutely no mechanism for a pits jaw to lock....that is one of the many myths of the pit bull.

Thanks for setting me straight.
w

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2006, 10:10:32 PM »
heres just a couple of the myths about pit bulls.....

MYTH: All Pit Bulls are mean and vicious.

It is reported on temperament tests conducted by the American Temperament Test Society that Pit Bulls had a passing rate of 82% or better -- compared to only 77% of the general dog population.

These temperament tests consist of putting a dog through a series of unexpected situations, some involving strangers.

Any signs of unprovoked aggression or panic in these situations result in failure of the test. The achievement of Pit Bulls in this study disproves that they are inherently aggressive to people. (Please visit ATTS.org)

MYTH: A Pit Bull that shows aggression towards an animal will go for people next.

"Many working breeds have antipathy towards other animals - coonhounds go mad at the sight of a raccoon, foxhounds will not hesitate to tear a dog-like fox to shreds, greyhounds live to chase and maul rabbits and even dog-like coyotes. Even the ever-friendly beagle will slaughter a rabbit, given the chance.

And yet the greyhound, coon and foxhound and beagle are among the friendliest of breeds towards humans. And it is the same with the pit bulldog. His work through the years has been control of other animals - never humans. A correct pit bull is more often than not submissive toward all humans, and adores children.

MYTH: American Pit Bull Terriers lock their jaws.

Dr. Brisbin: "The few studies which have been conducted of the structure of the skulls, mandibles and teeth of pit bulls show that, in proportion to their size, their jaw structure and thus its inferred functional morphology, is no different than that of any breed of dog.

There is absolutely no evidence for the existence of any kind of "locking mechanism" unique to the structure of the jaw and/or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier.

MYTH: Pit Bulls brains swell/never stop growing.

This rumor started with the Doberman, and has since been said about game-bred dogs in general. The concept of an animal's brain swelling or growing too large and somehow causing the animal to "go crazy" is not based in truth in any way.

Their brains grow at the same rate as any other dog, and the only time that a Pit Bull's brain is going to swell is if it receives a serious injury. If an animal's brain were to grow too big for its head, the animal would die.

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2006, 10:15:07 PM »
its stupid. i think little heel biters and jack russels should be banned they attack every damn time they see some 1. i have pits and there great dogs. i live in california aswell and i dont think this will pass.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2006, 10:23:20 PM »
I think they are like people,some good some bad. I have also heard horror stories about Rotweilers,but the one or two that I have known have been very gentle and "MARMADUKE" like....if that makes sense.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2006, 03:49:46 AM »
This is right up there with the “ban” on gay marriage.  :'(

body88

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2006, 07:35:22 AM »
Body88...what's your take on this? Aren't you a dog lover? just curious.

Glad you asked. I had owned a pitbull (Damien) a few years ago before he passed away. I now own an American bulldog whom is a bully type dog like a pitbull.

These bans and laws are ridiculous. I had a woman scared to pet my 5 month old puppy for fear he would attack her. I told the woman three times it was not a pitbull and even if it was there is no reason he would just attack her. I asked her where she got the idea pitbulls where vicious people attacking monsters and she explained to me she had red it in the "paper".

This is the problem. The news only reports of stories of dog attacks and alot of the time the stories do not even involve dogs like pitbulls.Also alot of the times the news does not include all the facts. Here is an example. I watchjed a news story a story a few years back of a akita severly mauling a small girl. When I read the full story in the paper the girl has been left alone with the animal and poked it in the face.Now the situation is terrible and I wish it could have never happened but the facts are the negligence of the parents led to there little girl being mauled. Dogs cannot tell you they are annoyed. Dogs cannot tell you to stop poking. There hands are there mouth.It does not make the situation any better but it shows that if you would like to own something capable of hurting people (genreally older folks or kids) you must be held accountable and responsible. The news loves a bad guy and sadly this horrible reputation is cast on the dogs. You want to pass laws against pits and other breeds. Make the owners criminally accountable. Banning will not solve a thing. Then all the idiots will move on to another breed. What are you going to ban every breed in the world? Cock spaniels have more recorded bites than pitbulls. Should we ban that breed two?

The OWNERS are responsible for hoe there dog acts. Ghetto ass little crack dealing scumbags have latched on to the idea that a pitbull can protect them or make them tough. fact is pitbulls are NOT people aggressive. They can be if tempted or trained but don't you think k9's would be pits if they where such people haters? Pitbulls love to please there master. They do have fighting lineage and sometimes by nature will be animal aggressive. Most all dominant breeds cannot have two sexually mature males in one place. American bulldogs, Pitbulls,Presa Canarios, Dogos etc. Pitbulls can be very animal aggressive but they are NOT aggressive to humans by nature.

Anytime you see this crap one the news it is usually the inner city. Some stupid owner who has no idea how to take care of a dominant breed of dog. There are differences in how you treat and raise dogs like this. Things you need to be educated about. You see these idiots covering the dogs as monsters with no regard for human life. It is such bullshit!

There will always be freak accidents with dogs. You should never leave as child alone with large dogs. That goes for ANY breed not just pitbulls. Children bite, pull, poke and hurt. If you go back and look at most of the attacks on kids I bet 80 percent of them could have been prevented or outright stopped before they got serious. it is always the dogs fault.

The facts are pitbulls are the new tough guys dog. it was Rottys before now it is pits. The WRONG type of people own the pits you see attacking people. Uneducated insecure tough guys who exploit the breed and give it the horrible name you see. Loser dog fighters and alot of genrally mean people who make them mean. They are very strong and will never give up. This is the recipe for disaster. it is a damn shame as my pit was the best dog in the world. You hardlt ever see people who know how to train and socilize a pit having trouble with the breed. They are actually great with kids and very loyal companions.

Here is a shot of my KILLER ::) ::) ::) bully breed puppy. He is an American bulldog and often mistaken for a large pitbull. he is so sweet and would not hurt a fly. I have taken him to puppy training as well as trained him for countless hours myself. he is socialized and sweet. My neighbor has a beagle named chippy. he weighs 14 lbs. he has bitten 4 people and is mean as  hell. It is NOTY the breed it is the  owner and lack of education on how to train your animal. Yes some dogs can be very mean by nature. But that is a mental issue and a responsible owner would humanly uthinize a mentally unstable dog. My neighbor is an idiot and it reflects with his animals.

My pup is a lover not a fighter!

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2006, 07:44:04 AM »
A vicious breed owned mainly by morons who see them as some sort of status symbol, or because it makes them feel kinda tough. Good riddance I say

body88

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2006, 07:47:25 AM »
A vicious breed owned mainly by morons who see them as some sort of status symbol, or because it makes them feel kinda tough. Good riddance I say

Diesel look at this unbiased. Pitbulls are not a "viscous" breed. What is your favorite breed of dog? I bet you if you hung out with a properly socialized pitbull for a few weeks your opinions would change. They are extremley athletic playful and loyal.

body88

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2006, 07:52:02 AM »
This is right up there with the “ban” on gay marriage.  :'(

He has kind of the same markings as my pup 8) He is a very handsome pup!