Author Topic: Why is it that there are no women of color in the Mags  (Read 24828 times)

gettinhuge

• Getbig III
  • Comming Soon ME!!!!!!!!!!
Why is it that there are no women of color in the Mags
« on: December 31, 2005, 10:35:51 PM »
First welcome to 2006 I hope it gives you better Joy than 2005. Anout a year ago I had this discussion with a freind of mine about why when Mags like flex Magazine or others do a spred of Fitness and figure ladies in there photo shoots its all white with Titles like hoy Divas or the most finest women in lingerie and they are all white.....like there no women of color to place in there yet when i see there boths at mr o or the Arnold they want my support. Dont get me wrong i beleive all women are hott and thats just it all women....where is your variety...no where just recently Flex did a lingerie spread and they had fitness figure and ecen women from WWE yet no were black asian maybe Latino but its hard to tell when there are latino women who die there hair and make sure that their appearence dosen't look too latino...Its like back in the Forty when only real light skin women of color was allowed to act on film with white actors becuase they was able to pass moreso for white than black...like the movie "Imatation of life"......Give women of color a chance aswell. let me here it ladies what do you say about this.

Fit Figures

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Fitness & Figure Competition Team
Re: Why is it that there are no women of color in the Mags
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 09:59:48 AM »
I think that because of the small percentage of competitors that actually make it into FLEX spreads, combined with the small percentage of competitors/models of a non-white race, the odds are so minimal that you rarely see them in the Mags.  Although, Alicia Denson is making her mark now that she's signed with Weider.  Anna Level has been in quite a few times, as have Lisa Lowe and Stacy Simons.  You also have to consider that the athlete might not be aggresively marketing themselves to get into the magazines.  I've been trying for 3 years and haven't made it yet!  :)

And on a personal note, I don't think that just because a woman is a particular race/ethnicity that she deserves to be in the mags moreso than another... there are plenty of beautiful, hardworking women in the industry.  Heck, I think we all deserve to be in the mags, but that's in a perfect world!

gettinhuge

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 11:59:19 AM »
Well you mentioned Athletes well in the percentage I looked at and to most of the competetive women of color I have spoken with the market there ass off and no account......Its been along time since Lisa lowe step of the stage and one of the reason she left is becuase they was looking for the big implants girl when she competed and this before figure came into play. When Muscular Development changed their mag from the all natural to what they have now the layouts started with women layouts...none of these women competed. Like I said the last layout had WWE stars up in there. You metioned women of color from as far back as 1998 when they had  modonna Grimes on there. its now 2006.

I think its crap.....what these photogeaphers are doing its eye candy for males for us to buy the mags a good percentage of these women are approached how often are they women of color approached.

And im not saying that a women should get it becuase of color but you mean to tell me the criteria you set to choose a women only women that fit the profile are white......come on

Fit Figures

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 12:59:09 PM »
And im not saying that a women should get it becuase of color but you mean to tell me the criteria you set to choose a women only women that fit the profile are white......come on

Um, that just confused me even more, lol.  And I said nothing of the sort - I believe you put those words in my mouth. 

The whole race and gender thing came up when I joined the Army, too.  To get rank as an NCO, you have to submit a photo and profile - why should that even matter if they are looking at leadership skills?  Because they HAVE to choose so many women, so many blacks, so many hispanics, etc.  It doesn't matter if there are 50 white males who've qualified for a position, they will get the shaft so the Army can meet their race and gender quota.  My point is, our society has tried so hard not to be race-biased, that often times less qualified personnel get a job over the highly-qualified and rightfully-deserving applicant.  (It's simple mathematics that if you have 10 "X" applicants and 60 "Y" applicants, a "Y" will more than likely get picked.) 

There have been many successful models, politicians, celebrities, etc of EVERY race, and many of the most talented have been black, hispanic, or for lack of a better term, "non-white." 

And about the names I listed, there is a layout on flexonline.com right now with Lisa and Stacy.  (OT, I know why Lisa retired, but what's that have to do with this topic?)  And you failed to comment on Alicia Denson, who is in every mag almost every month, and just got an Oxygen cover this month.  A few months before that, Mocha Lee graced Oxygen's cover.  I also just remembered that Alexis Ellis just had a spread in IronMan not too long ago.  Tanji Johnson also had a spread in one of the Flex lingerie/swimsuit issues earlier this year. 

And finally, you or I will never know how often certain women are/aren't approached.  You or I will never know "how hard" anybody markets themselves.  Some people get lucky breaks because they "have a certain look" and if that isn't subjective, I don't know what is.  Some people just use racism to start arguments where racism was never even an issue.

I'm white, I'm trying to get into the mags... maybe I don't have "the look."  But since I'm white, and mostly white women grace the mags, I can't use racism as a reason why I haven't gotten in the mags yet.  Maybe it's because I'm blonde, or a redhead, or because I have implants?  You see where I'm going with this, how ridiculous it can sound and how out of hand it can get?  If you allow yourself, you can come up with a million and one reasons why black women aren't in the fitness mags, and racism is the best argument, which is probably why it comes up so often.

If you and other men want to see other women as eye candy in the mags, then you should speak up and write the editors.  They won't make a change if they don't see a problem.  So get your butt out there and send your emails to the editors, and get other guys to do the same.  Fight for what you want to see, and hopefully you'll get it.

Lena

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 03:04:39 PM »
Just check out who's on the COVER of the newest Oxygen magazine ;)

Lena

gettinhuge

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 05:29:44 PM »
Just check out who's on the COVER of the newest Oxygen magazine ;)

Lena

One Im proud that alicia Marie is on that cover, but that is not the venue im speaking of.....im talking the mags I read the layouts that have been out way before oxygen...the spreads that when sold to males speaks about sexy and sultryness those are the layout im speaking of.

gettinhuge

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 05:40:47 PM »
Secondly as to you fit figure and the whole thing about this qouta....I have served 15 years in the USMC I now i work in and with corporate america...you speak on qualifyingas if racial inequalities evaporated after the civil rights bill. Im sorry but as a white women of course you will never recognize raceism and blatin overlooking of someone.....just recently ambercrombie and finch was cited for racial tactics in there hiring prefrence but that just a tid bit on corporate america doing its thing especially to women.

And please I dont read Oxygen Im talking of the Mags I see Flex, Planet Muscle.

Im not ripping you but i really dont think you understand what being in a society that talks one way and does another...when these type of practice are not geared towards you....In other words when was raceism done to you...but i do think you may understand gender inequality.

Lena

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2006, 10:21:19 PM »
I agree its not a whole lot of them, but I know Lisa Lowe and Stacy Simmons have been in sexy lingerie layouts in FLEX..........Amber Littlejohn (mix) in Ironamn magazine's Hardbody.......Lenda Murray a LOT in her prime!! All beautiful ladies IMO!! :)
I think you should write to the publications and let them know.........at least it doesn't hurt ;)

Lena

bigmikecox

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • SAY MY NAME!!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 10:34:30 AM »
Bottom line is that racism still exsits and the editors of the mags are white men that control who gets in the mags (blonde hair, blue eyes). 

Dina

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 10:45:30 AM »
Not always true... I am not white nor blonde with blue eyes and I have gotten quite a bit of coverage...it all depends on your look and how you go about promoting yourself

Alex

• Getbig IV
  • If bodybuilding was easy, everyone would be big!
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 11:41:06 AM »
Not always true... I am not white nor blonde with blue eyes and I have gotten quite a bit of coverage...it all depends on your look and how you go about promoting yourself

:( ::) ;)

Dina

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 11:55:50 AM »
lol Alex...you gave me white hair

happy new year

xoxox

Alex

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 12:06:54 PM »
lol Alex...you gave me white hair

happy new year

xoxox

and blue eyes  ;)

Good Luck! Krasavica :-*

Dina

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 01:20:26 PM »
i look like a freak

Fit Figures

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006, 01:26:27 PM »
Secondly as to you fit figure and the whole thing about this qouta....I have served 15 years in the USMC I now i work in and with corporate america...you speak on qualifyingas if racial inequalities evaporated after the civil rights bill. Im sorry but as a white women of course you will never recognize raceism and blatin overlooking of someone.....just recently ambercrombie and finch was cited for racial tactics in there hiring prefrence but that just a tid bit on corporate america doing its thing especially to women.

And please I dont read Oxygen Im talking of the Mags I see Flex, Planet Muscle.

Im not ripping you but i really dont think you understand what being in a society that talks one way and does another...when these type of practice are not geared towards you....In other words when was raceism done to you...but i do think you may understand gender inequality.

I'm sure you are right in that I will never be able to relate to that situation.  However, I do know that if one has a problem with something, they should act to change that, instead of just complain.

Flex hardly features ANY women anymore... and the only women they primarily feature are those with M&F/Weider contracts... most of the women are the same that have been in the mags for years now.

Fit Figures

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2006, 01:27:03 PM »

100% agreed, and you've done a fantastic job of marketing yourself, Dina.

Alex

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2006, 01:45:04 PM »
i look like a freak
No.........................

gettinhuge

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2006, 09:38:45 PM »
I'm sure you are right in that I will never be able to relate to that situation.  However, I do know that if one has a problem with something, they should act to change that, instead of just complain.

Flex hardly features ANY women anymore... and the only women they primarily feature are those with M&F/Weider contracts... most of the women are the same that have been in the mags for years now.

One i just dont complain I do take action...when pump magazine came out and I subcribe the mags was fill of it....but i not only complained that these were all just white women but they wasnt even fitness or figure personalities that made me even more upset.

I have written flex more than one time.

when I wrote muscular development they told me no need to worry becuase it will not be part of there magazine anymore and i look and its true.

But i want to hear from more women of color who is trying to make it in this industry....we herd from Dina i want more input.

Fit Gourmet

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2006, 12:15:34 AM »
I think you ladies who actually compete do not even think about color lines. You guys are great. However, The Men!!! That controll the images that we see in the mags and on T.V. are older Whte men. I can't blame them for what they like. For instance Hugh Heff owner of Playboy. He likes what he likes. Some day we will all see more of a variety, but for now we have a way to go.

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2006, 08:31:20 AM »
Start your own magazine and put whoever the hell you want in it.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2006, 01:46:18 PM »
Maybe you're only reading B&W magazines

gettinhuge

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2006, 05:46:59 PM »
Start your own magazine and put whoever the hell you want in it.

The genuis..... ::) ???

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2006, 12:09:50 AM »
yeesh...why does everyone sugar coat stuff..

its cause most white girls are hotter than most black girls...

almost universally lighter skin is considered more attractive than darker skin...big deal..they put in them mags what sells...

and apparently it does...

proof n the pudding yanno...
carpe` vaginum!

bigmikecox

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • SAY MY NAME!!!!
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2006, 04:06:56 PM »
Latisha had a breakout year last year, but the on;y girls that are in the mags are Monica, Jenny L. and Davana....WTF???

fotoguy

• Getbig II
  • \m/ \m/
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2006, 04:15:55 PM »
just cause a girl looks good on stage doesn't mean they photograpgh well Mike