Author Topic: R.I.P.  (Read 316141 times)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
Re: R.I.P.
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2007, 10:31:14 PM »
This picture was taken on Christmas day, 2004. 

The boxer was dying at the time of the photo from a tumor on his heart.  He was the rescue I've posted about who was burned and stabbed repeatedly.  My wife and I had him for almost 10 years--we figured he was about 13 at the time of this picture.  Unfortunately as a boxer, the only tumor he got (boxers are prone to cancer) was the one on his heart.  we contemplated going in and trying to remove the tumor, but in a 13 year old dog, that was a major, major surgery with little chance for success.  You can see how full his belly looks in that picture.  Its because of the fluid he was retaining due to the heart tumor.  Even then he lived a happy life for months.  We euthanized him on Easter Sunday 2005. 

The border collie is a mix we've had for years.  He's still going strong.

The brindle staffie was the male I've posted about--he was also 13 or 14 in this picture (I can't remember).  He died in my arms on Easter Sunday 2005 from a ruptured tumor in his spleen.  I let the dogs out in the back yard to play and ran upstairs to get something.  When I came back, he was collapsed in the back yard.  I was at home alone and at the time didn't have a working car--my wife had taken the car into work and the truck had a dead battery.  I placed two IV catheters and ran all of the fluids I had in the house into him, but it was too little too late.  We'd known he had the tumor on his spleen for almost 2 years---he was a complete asshole surgical candidate--not a good one at all, so we decided to monitor the tumor closely.  He seemed to be doing great up until the day he died.  Needless to say Easter Sunday 2005 sucked monkey ass. 

The chocolate APBT is the one I post about on the forum.  She was in "psycho bitch mode" and really wanted to get off the couch to go chew on a box of tennis balls I'd given the dogs.  She's one of the best dogs I've ever owned. 

The black lab was my buddy.  I removed a malignant melanoma tumor the size of a bb from his front foot about 16 months before this picture was taken.  The tumor was extremely malignant.  We discovered the bone mets Thanksgiving of the next year when he broke his leg.  I am still kicking myself over this dog.  I had an opportunity to enroll him in the experimental Melanoma Vaccine study but I didn't because I was unsure of the potential negative outcomes to that vaccine.   In retrospect, if I'd put him in the study, he may have lived longer..... 

Now the lab, the boxer, and the staffies urns are in my living room.  When I die, they will be buried with me. 

The bird cage behind the dogs has my African Grey in it.  "Bird" is a first class hoodlum who's favorite word is the "f" word.  The bird has an opinion about just about everything and will tell you about it, in English, in Dog, or in Bird noises.  She's funny as hell. 

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2007, 05:37:28 AM »
This picture was taken on Christmas day, 2004. 

The boxer was dying at the time of the photo from a tumor on his heart.  He was the rescue I've posted about who was burned and stabbed repeatedly.  My wife and I had him for almost 10 years--we figured he was about 13 at the time of this picture.  Unfortunately as a boxer, the only tumor he got (boxers are prone to cancer) was the one on his heart.  we contemplated going in and trying to remove the tumor, but in a 13 year old dog, that was a major, major surgery with little chance for success.  You can see how full his belly looks in that picture.  Its because of the fluid he was retaining due to the heart tumor.  Even then he lived a happy life for months.  We euthanized him on Easter Sunday 2005. 

The border collie is a mix we've had for years.  He's still going strong.

The brindle staffie was the male I've posted about--he was also 13 or 14 in this picture (I can't remember).  He died in my arms on Easter Sunday 2005 from a ruptured tumor in his spleen.  I let the dogs out in the back yard to play and ran upstairs to get something.  When I came back, he was collapsed in the back yard.  I was at home alone and at the time didn't have a working car--my wife had taken the car into work and the truck had a dead battery.  I placed two IV catheters and ran all of the fluids I had in the house into him, but it was too little too late.  We'd known he had the tumor on his spleen for almost 2 years---he was a complete asshole surgical candidate--not a good one at all, so we decided to monitor the tumor closely.  He seemed to be doing great up until the day he died.  Needless to say Easter Sunday 2005 sucked monkey ass. 

The chocolate APBT is the one I post about on the forum.  She was in "psycho bitch mode" and really wanted to get off the couch to go chew on a box of tennis balls I'd given the dogs.  She's one of the best dogs I've ever owned. 

The black lab was my buddy.  I removed a malignant melanoma tumor the size of a bb from his front foot about 16 months before this picture was taken.  The tumor was extremely malignant.  We discovered the bone mets Thanksgiving of the next year when he broke his leg.  I am still kicking myself over this dog.  I had an opportunity to enroll him in the experimental Melanoma Vaccine study but I didn't because I was unsure of the potential negative outcomes to that vaccine.   In retrospect, if I'd put him in the study, he may have lived longer..... 

Now the lab, the boxer, and the staffies urns are in my living room.  When I die, they will be buried with me. 

The bird cage behind the dogs has my African Grey in it.  "Bird" is a first class hoodlum who's favorite word is the "f" word.  The bird has an opinion about just about everything and will tell you about it, in English, in Dog, or in Bird noises.  She's funny as hell. 
They're a bunch of cuties Vet and look very happy in that picture.  I am sorry for your losses. 
:D Weee

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2007, 05:47:02 AM »
I had to re-read that and make sure I had read Easter Sunday 2005 for both dogs.  That would be a really bad day.   Sorry.  :(

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2007, 09:00:26 AM »
Very cool & very sad Vet.

btw....can you tell us their names?

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2007, 07:10:17 PM »
I got a text message the other day from an ex girlfriend that I haven't seen in over a year. It said "Patches was found dead  :( "  Patches was her cat. I never liked cats at all until I started dating her and met Patches. He was a big ol fat cat. :) She is 29 and had him since age 16. I am not sure why she decided to tell me about it since I have not even seen her in well over a year....but I really feel bad about that happening to her cat...I can imagine she is pretty upset right now. It's funny because for the past couple days I can't get Patches off my mind...and he wasn't even mine.It's amazing what an impact a pet can have on your life.I have pics of him somewhere if I can find em I will post em.

R.I.P  Patches   :'(

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2007, 01:02:22 AM »
I got a text message the other day from an ex girlfriend that I haven't seen in over a year. It said "Patches was found dead  :( "  Patches was her cat. I never liked cats at all until I started dating her and met Patches. He was a big ol fat cat. :) She is 29 and had him since age 16. I am not sure why she decided to tell me about it since I have not even seen her in well over a year....but I really feel bad about that happening to her cat...I can imagine she is pretty upset right now. It's funny because for the past couple days I can't get Patches off my mind...and he wasn't even mine.It's amazing what an impact a pet can have on your life.I have pics of him somewhere if I can find em I will post em.

R.I.P  Patches   :'(

They don't have to be ours. They still leave their pawprints on our hearts.
and keep moving!

PhoenixBuff

• Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2007, 08:59:38 AM »
They don't have to be ours. They still leave their pawprints on our hearts.

Ain't that the truth.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2007, 05:35:49 PM »
It is done, peacefully, quickly, RIP Devon.

Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2007, 05:41:18 PM »
Devon looked like a good time Charlie chaos............so sorry..... :(
R

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2007, 06:19:34 PM »
ah....shit

:'(

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2007, 05:26:48 AM »
Sorry Chaos, RIP Devon.  :(

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2007, 05:34:42 AM »
This thread makes me so sad.  :'(

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
  • What is the most common form of stupidity?
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2007, 12:02:40 PM »
Last Thursday tragically, I lost my closest animal friend SUGAR; my toy poodle! What saddens me the most is her loss was due to my negligence she didn't have to die this way! I will explain what happened later and post her pics soon, I need to go sorry!

Hustle
W

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2007, 12:06:32 PM »
Last Thursday tragically, I lost my closest animal friend SUGAR; my toy poodle! What saddens me the most is her loss was due to my negligence she didn't have to die this way! I will explain what happened later and post her pics soon, I need to go sorry!

Hustle

So Sorry Hustle!!!!  :'(     Please post some pics when you are ready to.     RIP Sugar. :-[

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2007, 01:05:11 PM »

Hustle
I'm so sorry HM.   :'(

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2007, 07:18:44 PM »

Hustle
we've had our differences, but I'm really sorry to hear this about your dog.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2007, 09:18:57 PM »

Hustle

This must've been a difficult weekend for you.
My deepest sympathies
 :'(
:

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2007, 06:39:23 AM »
Thank you all for the kind words!

Chaos, thanks for the kind words and just so you know I took our conversations as harmless banter nothing more but with that said I am also sorry to here about your loss as well I never knew! My deepest sympathies to you and yours as well!

Sugar was accidentally killed Thursday night, I backed over her while I was turning my van around in the driveway to load up for our Labor day camping trip. I was negligent in that I left the back door to the garage from the house open; the garage doors were also open. Sugar was in the house sleeping in her crate which was open as well (I usually don't close her crate until we all turn in for the night). Normally when its that late in the evening she would retire to her crate and stay there, falling asleep shortly there after but I guess with all the ruckus going on she decided to investigate. She ended up wandering out into the driveway through the wooded area in front of the house and neither my son or I knew she was out and about.  Sugar walked underneath the Van as I was backing up.

Very difficult weekend for all of us without her. I buried her in her favorite spot in the backyard.
W

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2007, 06:52:13 AM »

Chaos, thanks for the kind words and just so you know I took our conversations as harmless banter nothing more but with that said I am also sorry to here about your loss as well I never knew! My deepest sympathies to you and yours as well!

Sugar was accidentally killed Thursday night, I backed over her while I was turning my van around in the driveway to load up for our Labor day camping trip. I was negligent in that I left the back door to the garage from the house open; the garage doors were also open. Sugar was in the house sleeping in her crate which was open as well (I usually don't close her crate until we all turn in for the night). Normally when its that late in the evening she would retire to her crate and stay there, falling asleep shortly there after but I guess with all the ruckus going on she decided to investigate. She ended up wandering out into the driveway through the wooded area in front of the house and neither my son or I knew she was out and about.  Sugar walked underneath the Van as I was backing up.

Very difficult weekend for all of us without her. I buried her in her favorite spot in the backyard.
Oh you poor thing. I'm so sorry. How is your son taking all this HM?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2007, 06:53:51 AM »

Very difficult weekend for all of us without her. I buried her in her favorite spot in the backyard.[/size]

That's awful  :'( :'( :'(
Did your children witness it?
It will probably be difficult not to beat yourself up for a long time.
I'm sure she's having a blissful time in doggie heaven.
:

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2007, 10:53:00 AM »

Damn I am sorry to hear about that.. I hope everything gets better. Time will heal all things. My prayers are with you and your family in such a difficult time.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2007, 11:07:59 AM »
 :'(  So sorry Hustle Man   :'(

yeah  :)

R

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2007, 11:17:20 AM »

That's awful  :'( :'( :'(
Did your children witness it?
It will probably be difficult not to beat yourself up for a long time.

No they were in the house except for my oldest son, he was helping me pack up, mini me (the one I posted pics of on here) and my daughters were inside.

It was very dark outside especially at the tip of the driveway (the garage floodlights don't provide enough light down there) and I think if her hearing and eyesight were not failing she probably would have been able to advoid the vehicle.

She lived a long good life approx 13 years, we rescued here from shelter! They found her in a dumpster; her nails had not been cut and were curled around up into her paws, severely matted and mal nurished. One week after they brought her in to the shelter we saw her (7 years ago) and fell in love with that cute face and scuffed up nose, she was such a joy! I am still amazed that someone would just throw her or any other pet in a dumpster alive! It's amazing after possibly being in an abusive home prior to our adopting her, she was still very loving and trusting.

Never knew I would be affected this way but she was more than just a dog to us. She, like many pets, gave us years of laughter and happiness! I will miss that "welcome home" bark and wagging tail and the "it's time to walk me" yelp in the morning!

W

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2007, 11:19:56 AM »
HM, I am so sorry to hear about that.   :'( :'( :'(
:)

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2007, 11:22:45 AM »
HM, I am so sorry to hear about that.   :'( :'( :'(

Thanks RIP and everyone, this helps alot to write this down, I can't show my kids my pain just yet they are not taking it well and they need me to be strong but this is the only place I could let this out.

So thanks for letting me express.
W