Author Topic: First Bodybuilding Book!!  (Read 5418 times)

Weightpit

• Getbig III
  • Remember Sharon Tate...Carpe Diem
First Bodybuilding Book!!
« on: September 01, 2006, 01:40:26 PM »
Hey All - I've been following this board for quite awhile and have enjoyed so many stories from everyone. I'm 38 and have been interested in bodybuilding since I was a kid. Off and on training but never have competed. In fact, Danny Padilla gave me strong and friendly advise many years ago - ( I live in Rochester, NY and Danny is a Rochester native -  I met him in a local hardcore gym that has since closed - Samson's Powerhouse Gym) any ways, I told him that I wanted to compete and he put his hand on my shoulder and in such a nice fatherly tone said - "Do this just for fun and for your health".....and that's what I've done.

ANYYYYWAYSSSS......

Who and what started this motivation for me?? It was Franco Columbu's book -  "WINNING BODYBUILDING" - in fact, I still have the book - price tag still on it - $5.99. I saw the front cover and Franco was massive!! Incredible shape and knew I had to look like that. That was from 1977!! OH how times have changed.....

That book and many others have followed. In fact, the second book was "Hardcore Bodybuilding" by Robert Kennedy. Another great book.

What I find incredible are the diets that are shown in these books. Great diets and the protein intake is no where near what is recommended today.

ANyways, thought I'd share my story and know what others used to get their intro to bodybuilding.

E.

knny187

• Getbig V
Re: First Bodybuilding Book!!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 05:52:08 PM »
Danny Padilla is from Ro-chester?

gosh.....there's too many people from Rochester & from the same gym on this board - lol

Weightpit

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 06:34:42 PM »
 :D  ........Rochester is known...or WAS known to be a big bodybuilding town. Not so much any more.....the city has slowly declined in population through the years due to major companies constantly downsizing (Kodak, Xerox to name a few). Too many young folks are heading out.

I did live in Denver for awhile and THAT is a huge market for fitness and bodybuilding. Incredible gyms in and around Denver....

Who else is from Raaaaahhhh-chester??

E.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 07:15:30 PM »
visit the x-board

& announce yourself as a Rochesterian......

;D

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 08:53:03 AM »
I was actually there....so i know this to be true.

btw......in Rochester.....you better get your facts straight Weightpit.  There's some pretty proud Rochesterians on here.

;)

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 11:20:27 AM »
Grymkowski's also from Rochester

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 11:30:29 AM »
Grymkowski's also from Rochester

So is Bob Chick

Weightpit

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 01:38:02 PM »
Heyyyy.....some Rochester folks here!! Don't get me wrong.... I LOVE Rochester.....I moved back here from Colorado 'cause I missed my home town.......

I'm just saying it's not what it was back when I was a kid.....when Kodak was booming... GM...Xerox.......it's going through many changes.

I didn't know that Grymkowski was from Rochester.....that's great!

Funny...today I drove past the old Samson's gym location that was on Dewey.......place is still empty. THat was a great gym....great atmosphere and very old school.

Do any Rochester folk remember the old "Great Lakes" gym on Titus ave??? Right next to the Great House of Guitars??

E.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 01:54:45 PM »
E?

what's your name....Earl?

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 05:13:18 PM »
When i retire.....i'm moving to Rochester

Weightpit

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 07:59:24 PM »
Little Joe who worked behind the counter is doing tats next door to where the gym moved, White Tiger.

Holy cow!!! I remember Little Joe Pavone.....I worked out with Little Joe's brother - Steve....actually - Joe, Steve and I went to the same High School. Joe is a great artist.....Man...do I miss the old days.  And I do remember the squat area in the back; they had some old school leg press machines that I don't see anymore......those things gave the best workouts.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 09:34:02 PM »
So is Bob Chick

So are the BArbarian Brothers and I think Lyle Alzado but not sure.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 10:16:27 AM »
  I have been going there since about '91. 

Wow.  You're, like, old and stuff.
Ron: "I am lazy."

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 10:17:37 AM »
When I worked out there, I really liked the .

And the people.....were so damn friendly!

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2006, 10:18:11 AM »

That I didn't know

dodger

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2006, 09:45:32 PM »
The Barbarian brothers are not from Rochester-they are from  a place called Narragansett in Rhode Island.That's where there Native reserve is,then they also moved to Hartford ,Conn. and of Course L. A.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2006, 06:44:22 AM »
How I got into BBing... back in high school was the first time I trained. We had a gym at our school, and I used to go there after school. I was into sports and athletics, so the gym was a place to build some muscle. I didn't know as much back then. Anyway, I guess I liked the look of a muscely man with low bodyfat. You know, the Herculean physique. I was always a skinny kid, and got picked on, so that probably helped in wanting to get bigger. I was even thinking of the competition side way back then when I was about 16-17.

First mag I bought was probably the December 2000 / Jan 2001 issue of FLEX (still have it.)

First book was Arnold's Encyclopedia from 1999ish.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2006, 10:13:14 AM »
The Barbarian brothers are not from Rochester-they are from  a place called Narragansett in Rhode Island.That's where there Native reserve is,then they also moved to Hartford ,Conn. and of Course L. A.

Oh, well they did have something in Rochester didn't they.  Where was their gym.  They were good friends with Pete so I figured they lived in the same neighborhood. 

dodger

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2006, 10:28:47 PM »
Oh, well they did have something in Rochester didn't they.  Where was their gym.  They were good friends with Pete so I figured they lived in the same neighborhood. 
I'm pretty sure there gym was in Rhode Island Keith.It was called "P and D house of iron".They met Pete G.at a bb contest in NY city and he told them to come out to LA and he would take care of them and they would never have to pay at Gold's.I still think to this day that the twins have a lifetime membership.And yes i read that david said he owes a lot to Pete G,said he is one hellava great guy.Don't know about Rochester though,i'm not sure.

bigragu

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2006, 12:21:46 PM »
1st Book - Changed my life - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Education of A Bodybuilder. Checked it out at the Library when I was 11 and haven't been the same since... ;) That was 26 years ago!

Weightpit

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2006, 04:44:36 PM »

Weightpit

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2006, 04:47:38 PM »
1st Book - Changed my life - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Education of A Bodybuilder. Checked it out at the Library when I was 11 and haven't been the same since... ;) That was 26 years ago!

I have that one too....I don't think I let it out of my sight for months. I read, re-read and STILL read the same copy I bought 20 some years ago too. I think Arnolds muscle building diets were hiliarous.....his famous muscle burger -  A pound of ground beef, a handful of wheat thins and an egg......his protein shake actually had a 1/2 cup of ice cream.....