Author Topic: odds and ends [bodybuilding related.  (Read 76819 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: odds and ends [bodybuilding related.
« Reply #725 on: February 22, 2023, 06:16:46 AM »

&t=11s
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #726 on: February 22, 2023, 07:06:25 AM »
  VIC TANNY ....PIONEER OF MODERN-DAY HEALTH CLUBS
Vic Tanny was born in Rochester, New York in 1912. In 1935, while a full-time school teacher, he opened his first fitness club, located in his parent's Rochester garage. The small gym was adorned with carpeting, bright lights, and background music.
In 1939, Tanny closed the gym and moved to the West Coast to attend the University of Southern California to earn an advanced teaching degree.
Vic's younger brother, Armand, also moved west in 1939. That year, the two emptied their joint bank account of $500, borrowed another $200, and opened their first West Coast Tanny Gym, near Santa Monica Beach.
Two additional gyms, one located in Long Beach, the other in  Los Angeles opened in 1941. World War II quickly deminished gym users, and both studios closed.
During the postwar resurgence in gym goers, Tanny's original gym relocated to a former USO facility of 7,000 square feet located in Santa Monica. The gym soon became the hub of  every famous Muscle Beach regular, including Steve Reeves, George Eiferman, and future gym owner Joe Gold.
Vic agressively expanded his clubs, catering to bodybuilders, housewives and celebrities. Some of the new faclities had bowling alleys, swimming pools, saunas, movie screens and ballet classes. Others appeared as Swiss chalets, or had palm trees growing behind glass walls.
Vic Tanny centers made up of nearly 100 locations in the United States and Canada, flourished from the 1950s through the early 1960s. He also pioneered the annual membership, and offered a budget plan to attract working-class families. Yet, he demanded of salespersons, tactics so agressive that the New York State Attorney General responded by imposing a fair-practice code on all gyms.
In the 1960s, apparently by over-expansion, poor management, and insufficient capital, the Tanny chain declared bankruptcy. Some facilities sold or closed. Others retained his name, while others joined the Bally Total Fitness network.
During semi-retirement in Florida, Vic made a few unsuccessful attempts to restore his brand. In 1985, at age 73, following a debilating stroke, he died of heart failure.
Although the earlier, traditional gyms might have eventually evolved similarly without him, Vic Tanny was a visonary...the most arguably competitor being Jack LaLanne...who also assisted in ushering in today's familiar modern fitness club.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #727 on: February 22, 2023, 07:10:51 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #728 on: February 23, 2023, 09:52:29 AM »
  ARMAND TANNY... PIONEER MUSCLE BEACH BODYBUILDER
 Amand Tanny was born March 5, 1919, in Rochester, N.Y. In his early teens, he was competing in weightlifting competitions. In 1941, he placed second in the heavyweight class in the Junior Nationals competition in Akron, Ohio. In that competition, he managed 230, 250 and 330 pounds in the three Olympic lifts (press, snatch, and clean and jerk). He was able to clean a 300-pound barbell one-handed.
Tanny attended the University of Rochester before moving to Los Angeles in the late 1930s, where he enrolled at UCLA. But World War II intervened, and Tanny joined the Coast Guard and served until he suffered a knee injury. He left the service and went back to school in Westwood, earning a degree in physical therapy. He also had uncredited parts in some Hollywood films, including “Lady in the Dark” (1944) and “Frenchman’s Creek” (1944). Meanwhile, he kept perfecting his body for the emerging sport of bodybuilding.
Armand was a pioneering figure in bodybuilding who won national titles in 1949 and 1950 and was a popular figure on Muscle Beach in Santa Monica during its heyday in the 1940S.
When Armand wasn’t at the beach with early bodybuilding pals, including Steve Reeves, Tanny was at the gym in Santa Monica started by his brother, Vic, who years later pioneered the creation of modern health clubs, which were a big part of the Southern California fitness scene in the late 1940s and early 1950s. Vic Tanny’s fitness empire eventually included gyms across the country.
Originally a weightlifter, Tanny won the Mr. 1949 title, the 1949 Pro Mr. America title and the 1950 Pro Mr. USA titles in bodybuilding. In the days before steroids, he credited his wins to diet and hard work. He was a firm believer in the benefits of raw foods, including tuna, beef, liver and lobster as well as nuts, seeds, fruits and vegetables.
During the 1950s,  Armand was one of the original nine bodybuilders from Muscle Beach who were part of Mae West’s traveling nightclub act. According to the book “Remembering Muscle Beach” by Harold Zinkin with Bonnie Hearn-Hill (Angel City Press, 1999), the nine were known as Mae’s Muscle Beach Men. They included such prominent bodybuilders as Joe Gold, George Eiferman, Richard DuBois, whom Zinkin and Hearn-Hill called “the star” of the group, Harry Schwartz, Dom Juliano, Lester “Shifty” Schaefer, Irvin “Zabo” Koszewski, Chuck Krauser and Tanny.
According to Hearn-Hill, Armand organized a strike with Gold when West cut their $250-a-week salaries in half to boost the take at a New York club.
“Armand and Joe were ready to board the plane,” Hearn-Hill told The Times on Wednesday. “Mae quickly caved in and they got their full salaries.”
Tanny turned to professional wrestling in the 1950s. However, for much of Armands'  adult life, he earned his living writing for Joe Weider's publications, including Muscle Power magazine.
In 1949, Armand  married Shirley Luvin, whom he had met at Muscle Beach. His daughter, Mandy, was born in 1950.
Tanny left Santa Monica and Muscle Beach in the late 1950s and lived in Hawaii for a decade before moving to the San Fernando Valley and going to work for Weider.
Armand Tanny died in 2009, at age 90
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #729 on: February 23, 2023, 11:29:51 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #730 on: February 23, 2023, 01:05:32 PM »
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #731 on: February 24, 2023, 05:38:54 AM »

&t=2s 
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #732 on: February 24, 2023, 09:39:20 AM »
   BRUCE WILHELM ... GREAT BIG GREAT GUY
Bruce Wilhelm, born in 1945, in Watsonville, California, was a strapping healthy youngester and by age 12, wore size 13 shoes. Because of poor posture and being pigeon-toed, his parents sent him to tap dance lessons for three years as part of the cure.
Bruce began weightlifting in high school. In his senior year, standing six-feet, three inches tall and weighing 230 pounds, he was the 1963 California State Shot Put Champion and runner-up in the discus. He was also All Northern California in water polo and State Heavyweight Wrestling Champion.
Although Bruce was awarded a Stanford University track and field scholarship, he joined the wrestling team in his sophomore year and went undefeated as a heavyweight to win the Pacific-10 Conference. By mid-season he was All American and finished fourth at the National Freestyle Championships. During track season he hit 56 feet, nine inches in the shot put, and 162 feet in the discus.
Transferring to Oklahoma State University, Bruce was selected for the wrestling tryouts for the 1966 World Championship team. He also finished the year as the Big 8 Conference Champion in the shot put and second in the discus. His best Olympic lifts in training had increased to a 295-pound press, a 275-pound snatch and a clean-and-jerk of 340 pounds.  In 1968, he became the first Oklahoma athlete to hurl the 16-pound shot over 60 feet.
Finishing at Oklahoma State, Wilhelm entered graduate school at San Jose State Univerity. In 1969, he was ranked in the top ten with a shot put of 64 feet, eight inches. His Olympic lifts had improved to a 315-pound press, a 310-pound snatch, and a 375-pound clean-and-jerk. At the bodyweight of 265 pounds, he captured his second power meet with a 600 pound squat, a 420 pound bench press and a 610 pound deadlift.   
During his two-year commitment in the U S Army, Bruce won the 1970 World Military Championships and placed fourth in the shot put at the AAU Senior Nationals.  In 1972, he was named the alternate for the United States Olympic track and field team. 
In 1974,while living in Phoenix, Arizona, and teaching high school, Wilhelm  began concentrating more on weightlifting at Thorbeck's Gym, where Jon Cole, one of the world's strongest men, became his training partner. As a result, Wilhelm won a silver medal at the 1975 Pan-American Games, and placed fifth at the 1976 Olympic Games.  Weighing 325 pounds, Bruce snatched 380 1/4 pounds and completed a 485 pound clean-and-jerk. He went on to become the first American to snatch 400 pounds.
Wilhelm won the first World's Strongest Man competition in 1977 and repeated his victory in 1978.  He then spent years helping to organize and officiate strongman events.
Bruce allso served as a member of the executive board of the United States Olympic Committee for 12 years. Other noted positions he held were the Athletic Advisory Council, the Substance and Drug Abuse Committee, the Sports Medicine Committee, and the Games Preparation Committee.
In the 1990's, Wilhelm switched from the athletic arena to working as Vice President of Malcolm Drilling Company, one of the world's largest drilling contractors.
In an 2010 interview,  Wilhelm  stated:
          "Growing up, I thought the greatest honor I could receive was to win a gold medal at the Olympic Games. I've learned you can only do what you can with what you have. Fortunately, I'm blessed with a wonderful wife and two great children. My son is attending the University of Southern California and is on the track team, and hopefully will follow in my footsteps. Although he's finding my shoes fairly large.....still I'm really not worried. His foot measurement is one size larger than mine!"
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #733 on: February 24, 2023, 11:03:47 AM »

&t=29s   

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #734 on: February 24, 2023, 02:54:15 PM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #735 on: February 25, 2023, 05:54:43 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #736 on: February 26, 2023, 10:37:39 AM »

norm kommich
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #737 on: February 27, 2023, 06:44:32 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #738 on: February 27, 2023, 08:06:17 AM »
   DOUG HEPBURN ... ONE OF HISTORIES STRONGEST MEN
Douglas (Doug) Ivan Hepburn, born September 16, 1926, in Vancouver, British, Columbia, Canada became one of histories strongest men, despite more than his share of misfortune.
Doug arrived in this world by a forceps delivery which permanently scarred his temples, and was born with a clubfoot, a fused ankle, and crossed eyes.
His father, who deserted the famly when Doug was too young to remember, was an alcoholic, as was his stepfather. He, not surprisingly, fought a lifelong battle with the desease.  These unfortunate childhood circumstances possibly contributed to Hepburn's bouts with heavy psychological depression during the course of his life.
Perhaps upset by his physical and subconscious battles, Hepburn developed an unrelenting determination to reign at the highest in the Iron Game, and follow in the footsteps of famed Canadian strongmen, Louis Cyr and Horace Barre. "My childhood handicaps merely served to sharpen my perserverance, making me even more determined to accomplish my goals."
At age 17, standing five-feet, eight-inches tall, weighing 145-pounds, Hepburn dropped out of school to undergo corrective eye surgery. Fortunately he was taken under the wing of Mike Poppell, a local strength athlete, who taught him basic weight-training skills. Doug set out to become as powerful as possible. He stated "I wasn't a natural strongman. I attained my stature and physical power through hard work and common sense."
By 1948, Hepburn's bodyweight had increased to 208 pounds. He was performing 12 reps in the handstand press and five reps in the Tiger-bend and capable of pressing a barbell weighing over 200 pounds.
Doug consistantly trained with heavy poundage, although his fused ankle hampered him in the clean and the snatch. He established his first Canadian weightlifting record in 1950, with a clean-and-press of 371 1/2 pounds.
Doug broke the 15-year reign of American John Davis to win the heavyweight division at the 1953 "World Weightlifting Championships," with a 371-pound press, a 297-pound snatch, and a 364-pound clean-and-jerk.
In Stockholm, for the "World Championships," preparing for his competition against John Davis, Doug was given the services of a trainer employed by the Soviet federation. This more than angered the American team, since the Soviets would gain team points in the event Davis lost to Hepburn.
In 1954, Hepburn's hometown of Vancouver, B.C., provided him with a token weekly allowance of $150 towards his preparation for that year's "British Empire Games". Later the city council failed to deliver on the promise of a permanent job. Still, Hepburn won his weight class and set a new record of 1040 pounds for the three Olympic lifts.
Reaching his strength peak at bodyweights between 280 and 300 pounds, Doug was the first to officially push-press 400, 450, 500, and 550 pounds, with his best at 580. He squatted 760 pounds; pressed 440 off racks; dumbbell-pressed 175 pounds; pressed behind-the-neck 350 pounds; and curled a 260 pound barbell. He was the first to officially push-press 500 pounds off racks.
Extremely aware of his eating habits, Hepburn oftentimes force-fed himself to maintain his strength and bodyweight. He consumed four or five meals per day and drank up to three quarts of milk during a two-hour workout. He rarely snacked on candy, soft drinks or white flour products, and remarked, "I'd rather sacrifice sleep than food. As long as I can eat, I can get stronger."
In 1954, Hepburn embarked upon a professional wrestling career by apprenticing in the basement gym of Maple Leaf Gardens, in Toronto, Ontario, under the watchful eyes of Whipper Watson, Frank Tunney and Pat Frayley. His weight training and super strength, however, did not have their desired effect, on his new career for he eventually came to realize he was not cut out for that life. Doug wrote:
         With my superior strength and lifting ability, wrestling should've been easy for me. It wasn't! While weightlifting, for the most part, is composed of well-balanced straight-line pushing and pulling movements, wrestling is more to do with off-balance twisting and rolling. The skills I was strong at and the skills my wrestling opponents were strong at, were often at odds. This left me confused enough to scream. Add to this my less than enthusiastic desire to learn, or associate with the wrestling game...it made for long days.
For nearly five years, Hepburn performed throughout Canada, at two or three wrestling events per week, grappling all comers, while entertaining crowds during intermissions by ripping license plates, crushing cans of oil, and hoisting heavy weights with his little finger. However, his frustration and fits of depression led to more unhappiness, along with his alcohol consumption, which caused wrestling promoters to release him from his contract. He managed nevertheless, to get his life back under control and began heavy training again.
Bill Pearl recalled a few of his public appearances with Hepburn during the 1960s and 1970s:
           "Doug and I were in the dressing room at a theater in Oakland, California, and he asked me for an American quarter, which I gladly handed him. He placed the coin against the edge of a steel cabinet and bent it to a 45-degree angle by using thumb and forefinger, and then asked for another, I said, NO."
"Then, at a physique contest held in Vancouver, where we appeared, Hepburn, weighing around 260 poinds, finished his routine by jumping off the five-foot high stage...head first to the auditorium floor to land gracefully in a handstand position! He held his balance without a quiver. It nearly blew my mind! On another occasion we met at a Chinese restaurant/nightclub where he was acting as bouncer. I watched a drunken customer attempt to get into a fist-swinging brawl with him, but Hepburn grabbed the guy by the chest and tore a hole through the drunk's shirt and ripped a large piece of skin from the man's pectoral. The next I recall, someone was screaming, 'send for an ambulance.'"
By the 1980s Hepburn, with his beautiful tenor voice, often entertained at local Vancouver lounges. He continued to operate his basement gym in North Burnaby, B.C., which included a crude printing press, a protein suppliment mixing machine, and a small area for manufacturing a unique strerngth device. Sticking to hard-core training, at age 68, he was still able to one-arm clean-and-press a 100 pound dumbbell.
A bachelor, Doug spent his later years alone, in a $45-a-month apartment. He died of a perforated stomach ulcer on November 22, 2000, at age 74.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #739 on: February 27, 2023, 08:08:26 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #740 on: February 28, 2023, 12:23:48 PM »

&t=136s   ::)
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #741 on: February 28, 2023, 12:24:46 PM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #742 on: March 01, 2023, 07:00:55 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #743 on: March 01, 2023, 07:10:02 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #744 on: March 01, 2023, 09:59:52 AM »
   DAVID PAUL and PETER PAUL ... THE BARBARIAN TWINS
David Paul and Peter Paul (twins) were born in 1957 in Hartford, Connecticute. The two began weight training at an early age. They later became known as being "totally-off-the-wall" and the first to workout wearing construction boots, bandanas and torn tank tops.
As the barbarian brothers progressed in weight lifting they selected HIT (high intensity training) as their method. Still, they were frequently seen in Joe Weider's publications advocating his principles for attaining a championship physique.
David nor Peter competed successfully despite their upper body strength at bench pressing over 500 pounds and performing standing or seated presses with more than 300 pounds. Yet, they made an exciting duo on a movie set.
Their movie careers lasted nearly ten years. Peter after acting in a  number of different films with  famous actors and directors like Oliver Stone, became a producer himself as well as a TV personality.
Below is  a list of the movies they made, some together ... some with well known box office attraction.
D.C. Cab (1983) as Buddy and Buzy
The Flamingo Kid (1984) 
The Barbarians (1987)
The Road Raiders (1989) (TV)
Ghost Writer (1989) as Tony and Marco
Think Big (1990) as Rafe and Victor
Double Trouble (1994) as David Jade  and Peter
Natural Born Killer (1994) as The Nun Brothers
Twin Sitters (1994) as Peter Falcone and David Falcone
Souled Out (2005) as Ace Stevens
Faith Street Corner Tavern (2013) as David Paul
David Paul died in 2020, just two days before his 63rd birthday. The cause of death is not known, but sources believe he died in his sleep.   
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #745 on: March 01, 2023, 10:56:24 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #746 on: March 01, 2023, 11:04:01 AM »

steve reeve's actual sweat.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #747 on: March 01, 2023, 11:10:20 AM »

F

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #748 on: March 02, 2023, 01:46:57 AM »
   DAVID PAUL and PETER PAUL ... THE BARBARIAN TWINS
David Paul and Peter Paul (twins) were born in 1957 in Hartford, Connecticute. The two began weight training at an early age. They later became known as being "totally-off-the-wall" and the first to workout wearing construction boots, bandanas and torn tank tops.
As the barbarian brothers progressed in weight lifting they selected HIT (high intensity training) as their method. Still, they were frequently seen in Joe Weider's publications advocating his principles for attaining a championship physique.
David nor Peter competed successfully despite their upper body strength at bench pressing over 500 pounds and performing standing or seated presses with more than 300 pounds. Yet, they made an exciting duo on a movie set.
Their movie careers lasted nearly ten years. Peter after acting in a  number of different films with  famous actors and directors like Oliver Stone, became a producer himself as well as a TV personality.
Below is  a list of the movies they made, some together ... some with well known box office attraction.
D.C. Cab (1983) as Buddy and Buzy
The Flamingo Kid (1984) 
The Barbarians (1987)
The Road Raiders (1989) (TV)
Ghost Writer (1989) as Tony and Marco
Think Big (1990) as Rafe and Victor
Double Trouble (1994) as David Jade  and Peter
Natural Born Killer (1994) as The Nun Brothers
Twin Sitters (1994) as Peter Falcone and David Falcone
Souled Out (2005) as Ace Stevens
Faith Street Corner Tavern (2013) as David Paul
David Paul died in 2020, just two days before his 63rd birthday. The cause of death is not known, but sources believe he died in his sleep.   
I didn't realize they were in so many movies.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #749 on: March 02, 2023, 04:35:27 AM »
EARL MAYNARD ... THE BEST OF THE BEST
Earl Maynard, born 1935 on the island of Barbados, is a champion bodybuilder, professional wrestler, movie actor, producer, director...and a very nice person.
At age 17, Earl stood 5-feet, 11-inches tall and weighed 120 pounds. He was often sick and stuggled with bronchitus and pneumonia. He decided to join a gym to improve his mental and physical health.
Maynard moved to London, England when he was 18 to complete his education by earning a degree in physiotheraphy. 
Earl's major bodybuilding wins include the 1964 NABBA Professional Mr. Universe, 1965 IFBB  Mr. Universe, plus the 1978 AAU Master Mr. America contests. Throughout his professional career, he trained with the best including Mohammad Ali and the Kansas Chief's American football team.
Maynard began wrestling while in the Royal Air Force, stationed in Cyprus. He became a professonal grappler in 1960 when a British wrestling promoter, on vacation on Cyprus, spotted him and liked what he saw. However, it was Gus Karras who brought Maynard to the United States to carry on his square-ring career.
By the late 1960's, Earl was fighting in the Pacfic Northwest Wrestling and Canada's Stampede Wrestling circuits. He became America's Tag Team Champion in 1979 and 1982. (Interestingly, his major bodybuilding wins were captured during the same time.) 
Throughout the highlights of his professional career, filmmaking touched Maynard the heaviest. He made over 20 appearances as an actor. Two of the high points were starring in "The Deep" and "The Brawl".  He stated: "It came naturally for me act in films as I had already learned to be  adaptable. I usually played the bad guy. I worked with some top stars such as Nick Nolte and Jackie Chan. This gave me worldwide recognition. I'm in the UK and US Halls of Fames, and been honored all over the world."
Following retirement from the ring and screen, Maynard returned to Barbados and began directing his own films and work in realestate. He still hits the weights at least four times a week at  his private home-gym.
His advice to others in the Iron World is: "Don't take shortcuts. Get good nutrution and exercise sensibly. Your health is more important than your physique."
F