Author Topic: Eggs..  (Read 14486 times)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Re: Eggs..
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2022, 07:12:43 PM »
$6-9 here. Tbh I don't think it's unreasonable. How can you house & feed birds, collect & inspect eggs, transport, stock, refrigerate, etc, for under ten cents an egg? You must have fed that bird fucking sawdust, and while the product appears to be an egg there's nothing nutritionally egg-like about it.

I intend to raise birds someday. Chickens and ducks for eggs and meat. Maybe microchip them so they can forage and return to their fox-proof coop at night. Idk, it's all a half baked idea and I might suck at killing them. I cant even kill a mouse. I return them to the wild if I catch one, which my gf rolls her eyes at and she's never even caught me talking to them while I do it. What? They're cute!

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2022, 07:29:51 PM »
$6-9 here. Tbh I don't think it's unreasonable. How can you house & feed birds, collect & inspect eggs, transport, stock, refrigerate, etc, for under ten cents an egg? You must have fed that bird fucking sawdust, and while the product appears to be an egg there's nothing nutritionally egg-like about it.

I intend to raise birds someday. Chickens and ducks for eggs and meat. Maybe microchip them so they can forage and return to their fox-proof coop at night. Idk, it's all a half baked idea and I might suck at killing them. I cant even kill a mouse. I return them to the wild if I catch one, which my gf rolls her eyes at and she's never even caught me talking to them while I do it. What? They're cute!

Compared to $0.85, it's quite unreasonable. This inflation stuff SUCKS!

Freemason

• Getbig III
  • Tree Trimmer Extraordinaire
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2022, 07:32:21 PM »

I spend about $25/month feeding 8 hens, get almost 180 eggs a month on that not a bad investment

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2022, 07:37:03 PM »
..anyone else having trouble finding them? We usually buy in bulk (5-15doz at a time) from either Costco or Sam’s but they’ve been out of stock for the most part. Same with regular grocery stores but when you find them paying a lot? This goes for whites as well

I have not had troubling finding eggs, but they do seem very expensive lately. Specially the cage-free 100% organic eggs. Really, you buy 15 dozen at once. Refrigerated eggs last from between 3 to 5 weeks. Freezing eggs is not advised. Just checked and Safeway has cage free non-organic eggs at $15.99 for 5 dozen. Walmart brand (Marketside) large, cage-free, organic, brown eggs 18 count are $6.72.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2022, 07:42:20 PM »
find a local smaller farm, some may offer a csa box. You'll get higher quality ingredients most of the time for less money since you dont have the transportation or supermarket markup

Buying eggs from a farm is a great idea. They are definitely fresher. Fresh eggs can be kept much longer than store bought eggs for this reason. The downside is if you have to drive very far to buy them. The time spent and gas used may offset any savings.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2022, 07:45:51 PM »
I have not had troubling finding eggs, but they do seem very expensive lately. Specially the cage-free 100% organic eggs. Really, you buy 15 dozen at once. Refrigerated eggs last from between 3 to 5 weeks. Freezing eggs is not advised. Just checked and Safeway has cage free non-organic eggs at $15.99 for 5 dozen. Walmart brand (Marketside) large, cage-free, organic, brown eggs 18 count are $6.72.

After Church my wife and I went to a Vons to pick up things to make for our New Years dinner. There NOTHING in the eggs section. Completely dry

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2022, 07:46:07 PM »
Compared to $0.85, it's quite unreasonable. This inflation stuff SUCKS!

Yep. The working class was already squeezed before inflation, working more than a full time job to make ends meet. Idk where this will go. Mortgage defaults, mass social program-ism, digital currency reset? The Big Suck is still to come imo.

NoPEDsNoBB

• Getbig IV
  • ........Ya!
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2022, 07:56:44 PM »
WHY exactly is this happening (shortage + massive price hike) to our beloved chicken eggs of peace?

(Coach your thread titles sicken + infuriate me.)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2022, 07:57:58 PM »
WHY exactly is this happening (shortage + massive price hike) to our beloved chicken eggs of peace?

(Coach your thread titles sicken and infuriate me.)

Sorry.. usually my thread titles are cut and pasted from articles. Don’t shoot the messenger. Aside from that I read something about a bird flu that might be causing it…🤷‍♂️

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2022, 08:00:08 PM »
I spend about $25/month feeding 8 hens, get almost 180 eggs a month on that not a bad investment

I'm not too concerned about whether it's a true or false economy. The value would be in quality, like garden tomatoes vs store bought, and that I could give the birds a good life.

I've also thought about raising a few goats since I've got 6 acres and I love goat's cheese and like goat meat. Same reservations tho. Idk if I could kill a mammal. Humans, no problem. They're morally culpable but I don't think I'm allowed to farm those.

NoPEDsNoBB

• Getbig IV
  • ........Ya!
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2022, 08:04:32 PM »
Sorry.. usually my thread titles are cut and pasted from articles. Aside from that I read something about a bird flu that might be causing it…🤷‍♂️

No worries.

No way it's because of some bird flu. This is happening all over the world. Chickens aren't like humans where they have freedom, travel, get around, spread germs...

Sensing sinister "elite" / Bill Gates -type vibes..

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2022, 08:16:57 PM »
After Church my wife and I went to a Vons to pick up things to make for our New Years dinner. There NOTHING in the eggs section. Completely dry

Last week when I was at the local Walmart Neighborhood Market, I noticed that the egg section was totally bare. I assumed the refrigerated case where they are normally kept failed so they moved them elsewhere. It is certainly possible they were sold out. I didn't ask because I did not need eggs. The other day when I was in Safeway, their egg section appeared to be fully stocked. Maybe Vons being egg bare was a fluke. We don’t have a Vons Market here.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2022, 08:21:26 PM »
I'm not too concerned about whether it's a true or false economy. The value would be in quality, like garden tomatoes vs store bought, and that I could give the birds a good life.

I've also thought about raising a few goats since I've got 6 acres and I love goat's cheese and like goat meat. Same reservations tho. Idk if I could kill a mammal. Humans, no problem. They're morally culpable but I don't think I'm allowed to farm those.

Fertilizer?  Some of them are so full of crap that's pretty much all they're worth . 

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2022, 08:33:28 PM »
Last week when I was at the local Walmart Neighborhood Market, I noticed that the egg section was totally bare. I assumed the refrigerated case where they are normally kept failed so they moved them elsewhere. It is certainly possible they were sold out. I didn't ask because I did not need eggs. The other day when I was in Safeway, their egg section appeared to be fully stocked. Maybe Vons being egg bare was a fluke. We don’t have a Vons Market here.

It’s not a fluke.

Unless it’s happening all over the SoCal market.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2022, 08:47:39 PM »
..anyone else having trouble finding them? We usually buy in bulk (5-15doz at a time) from either Costco or Sam’s but they’ve been out of stock for the most part. Same with regular grocery stores but when you find them paying a lot? This goes for whites as well

Went to Costco the other day as I usually like to buy 4-5 packs (Kirkland 24 egg/pack) of eggs at a time. When I went to the register they were limiting the purchase to only 2 packs of eggs per customer. I paid, proceeded to put away the purchase in my car and then went back in, got 2 more packs and went through the self check-out. The guy at the store exit (holding a marker to place a check mark over your receipt) smiled when he realized this was my second go around.

"1"

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2022, 08:56:03 PM »
Fertilizer?  Some of them are so full of crap that's pretty much all they're worth .

Haha, so am I, as my shitter will attest.. Like Clint told the kid who said the bad guy had it comin'. "We've all got it comin', kid."

ROBOAK

• Getbig IV
  • toughest getbigger of all time
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2022, 08:59:47 PM »
Went to Costco the other day as I usually like to buy 4-5 packs (Kirkland 24 egg/pack) of eggs at a time. When I went to the register they were limiting the purchase to only 2 packs of eggs per customer. I paid, proceeded to put away the purchase in my car and then went back in, got 2 more packs and went through the self check-out. The guy at the store exit (holding a marker to place a check mark over your receipt) smiled when he realized this was my second go around.

"1"
did you blow him   ???

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2022, 09:52:44 PM »
did you blow him   ???

Of course not, don't be silly. He told me he had just finished inside of you.

"1"

ROBOAK

• Getbig IV
  • toughest getbigger of all time
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2022, 10:03:21 PM »
Of course not, don't be silly. He told me he had just finished inside of you.

"1"
brutal!

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2022, 10:10:09 PM »
This is exactly why I got hens,  this year. It does cost money to feed them and they are pretty spoilt. I see them as my pets. But the eggs they give me are large with yellow yolks. I have more than I need. I sold a couple of dozen before Christmas.
They are culling chickens in the USA because of bird flu. It’s just another way they are trying to starve us. There is no bird flu.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2022, 11:20:51 PM »

NoPEDsNoBB

• Getbig IV
  • ........Ya!
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2023, 01:23:13 AM »
It’s not a fluke.

Unless it’s happening all over the SoCal market. WORLD!
Fixed

"1"
He most likely smiled at you (like Jesus to a child) because he's a getbig lurker and realized who you were from your avatar.
Fyi you look just like George Michael (did).

This is exactly why I got hens,  this year. It does cost money to feed them and they are pretty spoilt. I see them as my pets. But the eggs they give me are large with yellow yolks. I have more than I need. I sold a couple of dozen before Christmas.
They are culling chickens in the USA because of bird flu. It’s just another way they are trying to starve us. There is no bird flu.
Mmm would love to be one of your spoilt pet hens and lay an egg for you.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2023, 01:36:06 AM »
An epidemic has affected the poultry flocks...

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2023, 02:56:56 AM »

That sounds pretty good!  My older brother and his wife have 4 hens now and I think Miss Jane (here) has 8(?).    Happy New Year!