Author Topic: Prayer and Religion in Public Life  (Read 632878 times)

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
Re: Prayer and Religion in Public Life
« Reply #750 on: May 12, 2021, 03:08:33 AM »
From a philosophical point of view sure, but using religion to control how people think and live their daily life doesn't require critical thinking.

It's perfectly fine for an intelligent person to not believe in religion and focus on more important matters in life. Take Elon Musk for example.  Look at what he has done, it's unreal.

If we left religion behind and focused on a science based lifestyle, our society would be a much better place and we would be far more advanced than we are today.

That's a pretty critical point IMO.

Imagine all the time and money people waste on religion; take that money and effort, put it towards advancing technology and mental wellbeing. This world would be far better off without all the fake gods.
It's not an either/or choice.  It can be either/and.  Science does not solve philosophical questions.  A person can be spiritual without belonging to a religion.  Religion is the Kindergarten of spirituality.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #751 on: May 12, 2021, 08:04:23 PM »
It's not an either/or choice.  It can be either/and.  Science does not solve philosophical questions.  A person can be spiritual without belonging to a religion.  Religion is the Kindergarten of spirituality.

explain the difference between your spirituality and say an evangelical Christian.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #752 on: May 13, 2021, 10:10:38 AM »
explain the difference between your spirituality and say an evangelical Christian.
There are people who believe in an afterlife but don't believe in a monotheistic god or any belief in the Bible being relevant at all.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #753 on: May 13, 2021, 04:42:06 PM »

Good points, i can agree with that.

I know a lot of spiritual people that are harmless and just go about their lives. A lot of Buddhists are like that.

It's the main stream religious nut jobs i see rambling on a daily basis that annoy me, oh and frauds like Olsteen.  ;D

I personally cannot blend the two, science and religion are oil and water to me, but i can see how some people can blend them.

At the end of the day if people are happy and not harming other people, i could care less what they believe. They just need to keep it to themselves.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #754 on: May 16, 2021, 08:54:11 PM »

I know a lot of spiritual people that are harmless and just go about their lives. A lot of Buddhists are like that.

It's the main stream religious nut jobs i see rambling on a daily basis that annoy me, oh and frauds like Olsteen.  ;D

I personally cannot blend the two, science and religion are oil and water to me, but i can see how some people can blend them.

At the end of the day if people are happy and not harming other people, i could care less what they believe. They just need to keep it to themselves.

This in a nutshell works for me

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #755 on: May 18, 2021, 11:54:41 AM »

Why?

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #756 on: May 18, 2021, 03:01:32 PM »
Why?

I don't believe religion should be discussed openly in public. Unless you are amongst friends, sure.

Inside your own home sure. Not it schools, not at sports games, etc.

But trying to brainwash people walking down the street with your little pamphlets and/or megaphone is retarded.

And the assholes who knock on my door at 9am on Sat/Sun.

Religion is a personal choice, i don't believe it should be a part of public life.

I've had hundreds of people follow me around, trying to make me feel bad.

A church down the street has a sign out front, it says "Good mothers follow the word of God". That's shameful. Brainwashing nonsense. Trying to make people feel bad. They put this up a couple weeks before Mother's Day. The donation plate must be low.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #757 on: May 18, 2021, 05:41:06 PM »
I don't believe religion should be discussed openly in public. Unless you are amongst friends, sure.

But trying to brainwash people walking down the street with your little pamphlets and/or megaphone is retarded.

Religion is a personal choice, i don't believe it should be a part of public life.

A church down the street has a sign out front, it says "Good mothers follow the word of God". That's shameful. Brainwashing nonsense. Trying to make people feel bad. They put this up a couple weeks before Mother's Day. The donation plate must be low.

Do you feel this way about all offensive or annoying speech or just religious speech? 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #758 on: May 18, 2021, 08:00:00 PM »
Do you feel this way about all offensive or annoying speech or just religious speech?

ok... lets take a high school football game. Would YOU be ok with the local liberal Mayor getting 3 min before the game to extoll their political opinions and affirmations on the crowd who came to watch their kids play football? Just a 2 or 3 min window where the liberal politician has the opportunity to spout whatever ideology they believe in as a pre game tradition? I think not... so just convert what I said over to a Christian prayer pre game and let it sink in

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #759 on: May 18, 2021, 11:33:51 PM »
ok... lets take a high school football game. Would YOU be ok with the local liberal Mayor getting 3 min before the game to extoll their political opinions and affirmations on the crowd who came to watch their kids play football? Just a 2 or 3 min window where the liberal politician has the opportunity to spout whatever ideology they believe in as a pre game tradition? I think not... so just convert what I said over to a Christian prayer pre game and let it sink in

No, but that's a terrible example because there is no tradition of political figures giving 3 minute pregame speeches at sporting events. 

Still, what I wouldn't do is try prevent that person from saying his piece.  I would just tune them out, like I do whenever I see National Anthem protests.  I don't watch them.  In fact, I do that with any speech or expression that irritates me.  I ignore it, but I do not try and censor it. 

It's always interesting to see how atheists are so bothered by something they do not believe exists. 

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #760 on: May 19, 2021, 02:25:25 AM »
No, but that's a terrible example because there is no tradition of political figures giving 3 minute pregame speeches at sporting events. 

Still, what I wouldn't do is try prevent that person from saying his piece.  I would just tune them out, like I do whenever I see National Anthem protests.  I don't watch them.  In fact, I do that with any speech or expression that irritates me.  I ignore it, but I do not try and censor it. 

It's always interesting to see how atheists are so bothered by something they do not believe exists.
Most atheists are determined to never be fooled.  It starts in childhood believing in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy.  After it is revealed to them that their parents and other adults were lying to them they get very scarred from the experience and vow to never let it happen again.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #761 on: May 19, 2021, 10:22:11 AM »
Most atheists are determined to never be fooled.  It starts in childhood believing in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy.  After it is revealed to them that their parents and other adults were lying to them they get very scarred from the experience and vow to never let it happen again.

I'm sure that's true of some.  I also think a lot of atheists are former believers who experienced hardship and became nonbelievers because they were angry or frustrated. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #762 on: May 19, 2021, 05:49:23 PM »
I'm sure that's true of some.  I also think a lot of atheists are former believers who experienced hardship and became nonbelievers because they were angry or frustrated.

Pretty popular view of atheists from non atheists. It somehow makes the believer feel better about themselves and their belief if they can attribute the lack of belief to some failure of faith or tenacity of the atheist rather than it being that they took a good hard objective look at the information and found it lacking. I get that

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #763 on: May 19, 2021, 05:59:13 PM »
Pretty popular view of atheists from non atheists. It somehow makes the believer feel better about themselves and their belief if they can attribute the lack of belief to some failure of faith or tenacity of the atheist rather than it being that they took a good hard objective look at the information and found it lacking. I get that

Actually atheists such as yourself, are to be frank, assholes.  Try being an Atheist, instead of an assholist.  Try not being a total twat, oh most holy "law enfarcement officer". 

Me?  I respect the Nazarene and his teachings and save my disgust for such as you and smellivangelists like Osteen.  Did you get that? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #764 on: May 19, 2021, 06:36:08 PM »

I don't need to have any opinion about atheists to feel better about myself.  I feel marvelous.  Very comfortable with what I believe and don't believe.  And here is the kicker:  I never obsess over, get upset by, or spend time arguing about things that I don't believe exist.  People like you, on the other hand, your entire existence is grounded on the non-belief in something.  It's crazy. 

You come on here arguing about God and quoting the Bible, denigrating people of faith, when you don't believe God exists or that the Bible contains any truths or historical facts.  Pretty clear you have some unresolved issues over your prior faith. 

But I'm glad people like you have a place like this where they stay connected to matters of faith.   

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #765 on: May 19, 2021, 10:47:52 PM »
I don't need to have any opinion about atheists to feel better about myself.  I feel marvelous.  Very comfortable with what I believe and don't believe.  And here is the kicker:  I never obsess over, get upset by, or spend time arguing about things that I don't believe exist.  People like you, on the other hand, your entire existence is grounded on the non-belief in something.  It's crazy. 

You come on here arguing about God and quoting the Bible, denigrating people of faith, when you don't believe God exists or that the Bible contains any truths or historical facts.  Pretty clear you have some unresolved issues over your prior faith. 

But I'm glad people like you have a place like this where they stay connected to matters of faith.

You're entire post was a fabrication. Nice job

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #766 on: May 19, 2021, 11:13:38 PM »
Actually atheists such as yourself, are to be frank, assholes.  Try being an Atheist, instead of an assholist.  Try not being a total twat, oh most holy "law enfarcement officer". 

Me?  I respect the Nazarene and his teachings and save my disgust for such as you and smellivangelists like Osteen.  Did you get that?

Don't recall asking you...but thanks for sharing once again your love for the Nazarene...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #767 on: May 20, 2021, 12:18:17 PM »
You're entire post was a fabrication. Nice job

You're such a troll.  lol

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #768 on: May 21, 2021, 04:03:44 PM »
Don't recall asking you...but thanks for sharing once again your love for the Nazarene...

As if libs could recall anything.  Fuck off cuntlette.  I hope you Covid up.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #769 on: May 21, 2021, 06:52:43 PM »

That is not very nice talk.  In times like these (if I may) ask yourself WWTND?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #770 on: May 21, 2021, 07:04:50 PM »

I couldn't have said this better. Specially that religion is a personal choice.

For some reason, I haven't experienced hundreds of people following me around trying to make me feel bad.....just one and he posts on Getbig.  ;D

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #771 on: May 21, 2021, 09:18:54 PM »
That is not very nice talk.  In times like these (if I may) ask yourself WWTND?

I don't have to be nice.  I don't want to be nice.  I don't like certain kinds of people and refuse to be "civil" to a whole ass.  Now then, my friend...Why would you give a shit as you clearly do not believe nor hold the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth in high regard? 

I do not believe and this makes me the perfect foil for fuckwits here and in the real world.  I used to call out "pastors, ministers and priests" but no more.  I do not go into churches at all.  I was not welcome when I exposed the whited sepulchers and would be even less so now.  Most atheists are assholists.  For example, they will not belittle mooslimes in person.  I have done so because they're the scum of the planet when it comes to bullshit.  I have told them hoMohammed is a pedophile and worse.  I am far from imposing but crazy works pretty good when it comes to primitive desert chimps.  ;D

If you explain that if attacked by them, I may well be taken down but at least one of them, the one pretending to be a "leader" is going to go through life dickless and worse they will think before they move.  I will go Josey Wales on 'em, i.e., MEAN.  I have experienced being attacked by a gang of blacks and a gang of whites.  They thought it funny to beat up the "slow" kid.  I didn't tear their dick off but the two I got in each instance never EVER gave me so much as a single word again and I would see them in school.  I fucked them up before I was overcome.   I  hate bullies.

Liberals are the biggest fucking "bullies" on the planet.  And they come in all different shades and usually in herds.  ;D

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #772 on: May 21, 2021, 09:21:12 PM »

I want to apologize. I try to limit my response  comments to people who contribute to to a conversation on average. Everyone has those days when they jump in and their responses are ridiculously stupid or inane. I overlook those which is why I still sometimes respond to Chaos and Dos Equis. But I broke the rule when I responded to you and for that I apologize. If I gave the impression your posts grab my attention or mean anything in the least, I'm sorry.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #773 on: May 21, 2021, 09:24:34 PM »
I want to apologize. I try to limit my response  comments to people who contribute to to a conversation on average. Everyone has those days when they jump in and their responses are ridiculously stupid or inane. I overlook those which is why I still sometimes respond to Chaos and Dos Equis. But I broke the rule when I responded to you and for that I apologize. If I gave the impression your posts grab my attention or mean anything in the least, I'm sorry.

Pathetic.  You are like a bodybuilder eating and eating and eating.  Full of crap.  Go apologize to someone that believes your trite BS.  You mean nothing to anyone here. You feel you are better than some because they have a faith you despise.  Fuck off, man.  I don't believe but I don't belittle that which at it's core is good. Oh...By that I mean the teachings of the Nazarene.

Fuck off you Law ENFARCEMENT Officer. 

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #774 on: May 21, 2021, 09:53:43 PM »
I don't have to be nice.  I don't want to be nice.  I don't like certain kinds of people and refuse to be "civil" to a whole ass.  Now then, my friend...Why would you give a shit as you clearly do not believe nor hold the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth in high regard

I do not believe and this makes me the perfect foil for fuckwits here and in the real world.  I used to call out "pastors, ministers and priests" but no more.  I do not go into churches at all.  I was not welcome when I exposed the whited sepulchers and would be even less so now.  Most atheists are assholists.  For example, they will not belittle mooslimes in person.  I have done so because they're the scum of the planet when it comes to bullshit.  I have told them hoMohammed is a pedophile and worse.  I am far from imposing but crazy works pretty good when it comes to primitive desert chimps.  ;D

If you explain that if attacked by them, I may well be taken down but at least one of them, the one pretending to be a "leader" is going to go through life dickless and worse they will think before they move.  I will go Josey Wales on 'em, i.e., MEAN.  I have experienced being attacked by a gang of blacks and a gang of whites.  They thought it funny to beat up the "slow" kid.  I didn't tear their dick off but the two I got in each instance never EVER gave me so much as a single word again and I would see them in school.  I fucked them up before I was overcome.   I  hate bullies.

Liberals are the biggest fucking "bullies" on the planet.  And they come in all different shades and usually in herds.  ;D

My friend Scott, I take a little bit of offense to what I emboldened in red.  First, I believe that there was a man a couple thousand years ago that existed who we now know as Jesus Christ, the Nazarene, Jesus of Nazareth, etc.  Next, I absolutely believe he was a force for good and change in the world.  Finally, the Sermon on the Mount and/or the Beatitudes is as fine a guide for living ones life and treating others as has ever been put to paper.  Even if Jesus never existed, the idea of Jesus and his words/message is a beautiful thing.  If only more Christians would focus on those teachings we could see a better world.