Author Topic: Black Guys and Applying Color For A Show: NEED HELP  (Read 2897 times)

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
Black Guys and Applying Color For A Show: NEED HELP
« on: April 30, 2007, 10:46:59 AM »
I'm helping a teenager, whos black, get ready for the upcoming Mr. Wisconsin.  I know this sounds stupid, but should he use any type of color.  I've heard of black guys putting color on to give their skin a different look and consistancy.  Is their any merit to this or she he just oil up? 

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Re: Black Guys and Applying Color For A Show: NEED HELP
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 11:39:21 AM »
Don't know too much, but if he is dark skinned, it has been said that applying to much oil/tanning will make him loose his cuts an dmake him look smooth. Vince Taylor, Robby Robinson had this problem. You might want to email some black competitive bbers on this question.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 12:42:44 PM »
I'm not a guy obviously, but I am black :D

He should definitely use color. I have seen a few black people in my day make the error of thinking they don't need it and end up looking all washed out on stage...As you know it is not just the depth of the color, but the 'tone'. Even if he is very dark skinned, he will not have that 'show color tone' without tan. I'm really lightskinned so I just apply tan as 'normal', but use his present skin color as a gauge. If he is extremely dark, perhaps 2 light coats will suffice etc.

Baby_Hercules

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • myspace.com/babyhercules1914
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 01:21:51 PM »
I'm not a guy obviously, but I am black :D

He should definitely use color. I have seen a few black people in my day make the error of thinking they don't need it and end up looking all washed out on stage...As you know it is not just the depth of the color, but the 'tone'. Even if he is very dark skinned, he will not have that 'show color tone' without tan. I'm really lightskinned so I just apply tan as 'normal', but use his present skin color as a gauge. If he is extremely dark, perhaps 2 light coats will suffice etc.
She hit the nail on the head. When you are under the bright lights onstage your definition will get washed out no matter what color you are. I fall in between light skinned and dark skinned. I use both the tanning bed and protan paint. The tanning will give you an even base color and help you to dry out. The protan is the finishing touch. If you are dark skinned like Vince Taylor, use 1-2 coats. If you are medium brown like I am, use 2-3 coats of protan. If you are light skinned like Kevin Levrone, use at least 3-4 coats. Stay away from dream tan. It can smooth you out and its very messy.
This is a pic of me at the nationals in 2005. Hopefully you can gauge your prep from my pic.

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 01:45:53 PM »
Yes, like others said.  Even just a couple weeks in a tanning bed is great....nice and slow, not to burn gives the skin a great look and gets rid of ash look.

Chris Dickerson sopoke about this one the universe 84 while commentating and he was right and hoild true today.

Dream tan sucks anyway.  Creams are not good.  Simple pro tan is perfect.

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 01:46:11 PM »
Thanks so much for all the advice.  The kid's skin is pretty dark, so maybe a light coat or 2 of protan would be best.  Great pics by the way Baby Herc!

Baby_Hercules

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • myspace.com/babyhercules1914
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 01:51:20 PM »
Thanks so much for all the advice.  The kid's skin is pretty dark, so maybe a light coat or 2 of protan would be best.  Great pics by the way Baby Herc!
No problem. If you need any advice on anything shoot me a private message.

kkcfoto

• Getbig I
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 09:17:37 PM »
Don't know too much, but if he is dark skinned, it has been said that applying to much oil/tanning will make him loose his cuts an dmake him look smooth. Vince Taylor, Robby Robinson had this problem. You might want to email some black competitive bbers on this question.

Robby Robinson used Almond oil at one time or another.  It had a sheen instead of the bold shine that traditional Johnsons baby oil had.

fathead

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 07:13:14 PM »
Even if you're as black as Vince Taylor, Seal, Manut Bol or the black guy from "Gladiator" a couple coats of Protan will help you even out your "tan"

diomed

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • NOW I'M MAD!
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 03:55:19 AM »
DREAM TAN #2 is a good bronzer that I use.  It makes you look very polished.  Unfortunately, NPC tends to look down on its usage.  Venice Beach gave me much love though, YEAH!
"You aint got genetics!"