Author Topic: American football  (Read 6910 times)

body88

Re: American football
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2009, 08:47:17 AM »
Well I am lucky to have played both Football and Rugby. Football and the Div II level and Rugby at the USA Div I level, which is one level below Super League. I played guard while in college and tight-head prop for my Rugby squad.

I've been involved in this argument since I first steped foot on the pitch and it's similar to the MMA vs Boxing debate. In other words complete bullshit.

Both sports require top level, well-rounded athletes. Anyone that says differently is the same guy sniffing butts from sideline and never played anything.

Football is more of a physical chess match. We had to learn hundreds of plays and variations and make pre-snap calls as well as mid-play rotations. Rugby required much less thinking but more reaction. Because you can't block or be in front if the ball you have to be aware of the field at all times because one or two wrong passes and you go from offense to defense and must completely change your position and play style.

I loved playing football and love playing Rugby today, but they are very different sports. Living in the US, most American don't realize how big Rugby to the rest of the World. But still 100+ million people watching the Superbowl says a lot too.

I played both.  The level of athlete needed in the NFL is much greater than in rugby.  Why dont these Rugby players come try out for an NFL team and make millions?

body88

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2009, 08:49:53 AM »

its not getting mainstream anywhere, only american ex pats and a few handfull of weirdos will ever follow it outside of the US... football(soccer) is the only sport that matters in every country barring america and canada, and it does have a lot to do with bein able to be played by the very poor, all u need is a ball and thats it.

False, every game the NFL has played overseas has been a sellout.  Also, football is huge in America and is catching on in other countries.  Soccer is boring and the athletes are not top notch.  Not a single soccer player could make it in the NFL.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2009, 10:51:44 AM »
Sorry to say that American football is not doing that well oversea's with the folding of the NFL Europe teams. A big blow to the future of the sport over there. And the vast majority of the people going to those game were American service men or Americans working oversea's and never to a sellout crowds. Those once a year NFL games in London (Mexico and Japan sometimes included) are over hyped and quite a few attending are let in free anyway. Get enough drunk Brit's and they will go anywhere.

Same with the Arena football in the U.S., folding as it did. That was a great learning experience for some future NFL players. Almost like every play was in the red zone. Canada has the CFL which is more like minor play football.

Australian Rules Football can be enjoyable to watch. Wide open style with more attention on the "foot" in football.
F

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2009, 10:54:07 AM »
Nothing beats watching 20 guys fondle each other in a scrum that moves two feet over the course of 10 seconds, then is reset and done again because the ball came out the side and not the back.  ::)

haha!  ;D

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2009, 10:57:28 AM »

dont try to compare Rugby to NFL Football, its not even close.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2009, 11:54:24 AM »

dont try to compare Rugby to NFL Football, its not even close.

Obviously they're worth comparing, football came from rugby, even the ball.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2009, 11:57:26 AM »
Both are different sports so cant compare.

Specificity.

All 3 at the highest level are great for fans.

However i dont see american football in the Olympics :)

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2009, 05:48:23 PM »
Obviously they're worth comparing, football came from rugby, even the ball.

sorry pump but youre wrong again. you personally can compare the two all you like, the similarities end at the glaringly obvious fortuantely.
basketball came from a peach basket on a wall, you wanna compare that to the NBA go ahead  ::)

body88

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2009, 08:28:21 AM »
Sorry to say that American football is not doing that well oversea's with the folding of the NFL Europe teams. A big blow to the future of the sport over there. And the vast majority of the people going to those game were American service men or Americans working oversea's and never to a sellout crowds. Those once a year NFL games in London (Mexico and Japan sometimes included) are over hyped and quite a few attending are let in free anyway. Get enough drunk Brit's and they will go anywhere.

Same with the Arena football in the U.S., folding as it did. That was a great learning experience for some future NFL players. Almost like every play was in the red zone. Canada has the CFL which is more like minor play football.

Australian Rules Football can be enjoyable to watch. Wide open style with more attention on the "foot" in football.

European football teams are not NFL teams, and the athletes are not even close to as good.

The facts are this:

The NFL games that have happened abroad recently have been sold out.  Tickets were sold out, so your comment about people being let in free is inaccurate as of recently

Football is a sport that makes a lot of money and people here in the US love to play it and to watch it.  We don't really care what the Brits think about it.  To us soccer is boring to you football is boring, who cares?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2009, 07:25:40 PM »
sorry pump but youre wrong again. you personally can compare the two all you like, the similarities end at the glaringly obvious fortuantely.

You're uninformed; learn the history. There are quite a few similarities because of the strong historical link. Where the &&^% do you think foot from football came from? Kicking's been marginalized now in today's NFL but it came from rugby and soccer. The first ever football game was played between Montreal and Boston colleges. Montreal brought the rugby influence, Boston a modified version of soccer involving drop-kicking and catching the ball that no other American colleges wanted to play.

The goalposts are virtually the same in rugby and football, so is the ball. That dropkick that Belichik and Flutie did a few years ago came right from the CFL (which has retained more kicking)and rugby influence you idiot. :D

basketball came from a peach basket on a wall, you wanna compare that to the NBA go ahead

Man you sound dumb-basketball was invented by a Canadian living in Mass, using peach baskets. Ya in fact the peach baskets and idea of getting the ball thru is the same as NBA genius, the baskets are just fancier LOL you didn't know that?

Canada has the CFL which is more like minor play football

Your typical myopic American know-nothing. It's akin to top college football, at least. 4 guys from Toronto will be in the NFL next year, and Buffalo's trying to get in to Toronto because it's a major sports venue with a 20 year old stadium that's still better technically than most NFL stadiums.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2009, 12:17:41 PM »
You're uninformed; learn the history. There are quite a few similarities because of the strong historical link. Where the &&^% do you think foot from football came from? Kicking's been marginalized now in today's NFL but it came from rugby and soccer. The first ever football game was played between Montreal and Boston colleges. Montreal brought the rugby influence, Boston a modified version of soccer involving drop-kicking and catching the ball that no other American colleges wanted to play.

you're ignorant and youre comprehension is lacking.

no one is arguing that american football did not derive from rugby, i hope i dont have to explain in laymans terms everyones posts for you.

a historical link does not equal a legitimate comparison in current times with regard to American Football and Rugby sorry. if you want to compare the two using..like i said earlier, the simplistic glaringly obvious then go a head, you may find a few similarities but to compare the two at this stage of the evolution of American Football would be foolish. American Football has evolved away from Rugby so much so that a comparison would of the two now would be ridiculous.

Man you sound dumb-basketball was invented by a Canadian living in Mass, using peach baskets. Ya in fact the peach baskets and idea of getting the ball thru is the same as NBA genius, the baskets are just fancier LOL you didn't know that?

you are a moron. my statement about basketball   
basketball came from a peach basket on a wall, you wanna compare that to the NBA go ahead  ::)
     went right over your head.. ::)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2009, 12:25:25 PM »
you're ignorant and youre comprehension is lacking.

no one is arguing that american football did not derive from rugby, i hope i dont have to explain in laymans terms everyones posts for you.

a historical link does not equal a legitimate comparison in current times with regard to American Football and Rugby sorry. if you want to compare the two using..like i said earlier, the simplistic glaringly obvious then go a head, you may find a few similarities but to compare the two at this stage of the evolution of American Football would be foolish. American Football has evolved away from Rugby so much so that a comparison would of the two now would be ridiculous.

you are a moron. my statement about basketball        went right over your head.. ::)

I didn't mind educating you despite your meltdown, you didn't know any of it, nor did anyone else here. ;)

You have trouble expressing yourself, and end up writing things that you then claim later you didn't mean. I put you in your place on basketball based on what you wrote-go back and reread what you wrote.

Also it's "your" not "youre" you uneducated jackass.

Hope this helps. ;)

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2009, 12:46:45 PM »
I didn't mind educating you despite your meltdown. ;) I put you in your place on basketball, based on what you wrote-go back and reread. I don't think you're at all good at articulating WTF you actually mean and had to go on what you wrote.

Also it's "your" not "youre" you uneducated jackass LOL.

Hope this helps. ;)

understandably you relegate to simple spelling errors now that thats all you have left after being proven wrong, its an obvious act of desperation  ;)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2009, 08:20:32 AM »
Actually body88, European football teams were sponsored, advised and supported by the NFL. It was not a money making effort for the teams or the NFL it's self. Main reason the NFL withdrew from it. A few players from the European teams have played in the NFL over here. Most of those crowd numbers (sellouts) are mocked up to look good.

Atheist: Would not be too concerned with Pumpster, he  always seems to have a weak view on most things, but always wants to come across as the expert. And when proven wrong, will resort to name calling and other petty things. He does act like a 5 year old at time. And yes, he is very desperate to be noticed and feel superior to others.

Pumpster is the reason so many good people no longer post on the Training board. Since he became a mod (or God in his own mind) over there he will delete, or change, peoples post if they give a opposite view than his. He is quite fond of using the overworked term "meltdown" on others. Also big on others spelling, yet half the time uses a lower case i for personal nouns, among other things. Rumor he may drink a bit. But who knows. He is retired in Phoenix now, I have heard.
F

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2009, 12:38:30 PM »

Pumpster is the reason so many good people no longer post on the Training board. Since he became a mod (or God in his own mind) over there he will delete, or change, peoples post if they give a opposite view than his. He is quite fond of using the overworked term "meltdown" on others. Also big on others spelling, yet half the time uses a lower case i for personal nouns, among other things. Rumor he may drink a bit. But who knows. He is retired in Phoenix now, I have heard.

Brutal self-ownage considering that "jpm" is on the training board daily LOL. He's there to learn from moi. I correct his silly assumptions on training as often as i offer fixes to his horrible grammar. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. I'm in his mind big-time, as seen with his daily stalking and inability to stick to the topic at hand. He can't stop obsessing on me. :-*

Actually body88, European football teams were sponsored, advised and supported by the NFL. It was not a money making effort for the teams or the NFL it's self. Main reason the NFL withdrew from it. A few players from the European teams have played in the NFL over here. Most of those crowd numbers (sellouts) are mocked up to look good.

"jpm" the pompous know-all setting everyone straight here ROFL the true dummies never realize that the joke is them. ;D I love "jpm" he's priceless but doesn't know it LOL

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2009, 12:46:55 PM »
understandably you relegate to simple spelling errors now that thats all you have left after being proven wrong, its an obvious act of desperation  ;)

Trainwreck

body88

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2009, 12:59:04 PM »
Trainwreck

Enough of your crap.  Your finished on this board until you stop being a douche to everyone with a different opinion than you. It's funny that your claims of unfair treatment on this board (when not a single post of yours has ever been deleted) have been proven to be a joke considering your reputation of modding on the training board.  Take it up with Ron, the community has spoken and you are not welcome here anymore

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2009, 01:04:21 PM »
Pumpsters last post just confirmed how really stupid he really is. But than again he is too dumb to understand that. Only have to check some of his past desperate and insecure rantings. And just plan spite and envy of others.

Pumpster never knew what a "V" bar was, for example. Among other styles and forms of working out. Had to explain to him, very slowly, that there was really a thing as a exercise "V" bar. Even gave him a course in BB'ing 101 for the grumpy old man. Felt it was my duty to help my elders. But he forgets easily now-a-days.

Please seek help Pumpster, about that mental problem of yours. Or is your problem from a bottle? Very old drunks lose their charm after awhile. OH ya, happy to inform you about the NFL. How is that minor football play going with the CFL? And might I say thanks for deleting another of my post on the training board this morning. Bless you old timer.
F

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2009, 10:11:53 PM »
Enough of your crap.  Your finished on this board until you stop being a douche to everyone with a different opinion than you. It's funny that your claims of unfair treatment on this board (when not a single post of yours has ever been deleted) have been proven to be a joke considering your reputation of modding on the training board.  Take it up with Ron, the community has spoken and you are not welcome here anymore

Good decision.