Author Topic: U.S. credit rating outlook lowered by S&P  (Read 4299 times)

225for70

• Getbig IV
  • Suckmymuscle is OneMoreRep's little bitch
U.S. credit rating outlook lowered by S&P
« on: April 18, 2011, 09:12:18 AM »
So it begins

U.S. credit rating outlook lowered by S&PStandard & Poor's affirmed its rating for U.S. sovereign debt, but lowered its outlook.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Standard & Poor's lowered its outlook for the nation's long-term debt Monday, even as it reaffirmed the agency's top-tier rating for the U.S. economy.

S&P maintained its 'AAA/A-1+' credit rating on U.S. sovereign debt, saying the nation's "highly diversified" economy and "effective monetary policies" have helped support growth.

But the ratings agency lowered its outlook for America's long-term credit rating to "negative" from "stable," based on the uncertain political debate around the nation's fiscal problems.

The outlook means that there is a one-in-three likelihood that it could lower the long-term rating on the United States within two years, S&P said.

"The outlook reflects our view of the increased risk that the political negotiations over when and how to address both the medium- and long-term fiscal challenges will persist until at least after national elections in 2012," said S&P credit analyst Nikola Swann.

Deficit hawks: Not too bad, Mr. President
The move puts additional pressure on Congress to come up with a plan to bring down long-term deficits, which lawmakers from both political parities say are unsustainable.

President Obama unveiled a proposal last week to cut $4 trillion from the deficits over 12 years by enacting a mix of spending cuts and tax increases.

Republicans have proposed a competing plan to lower the long-term debt by $4.4 trillion over ten years, in part by shrinking Medicaid and Medicare.

"More than two years after the beginning of the recent crisis, U.S. policymakers have still not agreed on how to reverse recent fiscal deterioration or address longer-term fiscal pressures," said Swann.

In a statement, a Treasury official stressed that S&P reaffirmed the nation's pristine rating, adding that the agency assumes lawmakers will begin implementing a long-term debt plan by 2013.

Meanest budget cuts
"We believe S&P's negative outlook underestimates the ability of America's leaders to come together to address the difficult fiscal challenges facing the nation," said Mary Miller, the Treasury's assistant secretary for financial markets.

Miller argued that dealing with the current fiscal challenges is "well within our capacity as a country." She noted that Obama has called on Congress to begin developing a deficit plan next month, with the aim of reaching a legislative framework by June.

"The U.S. economy is strengthening as it emerges from the recent recession," said Miller. "Both political parties now agree that it is time to begin bringing down deficits as a share of GDP."

In its report, S&P said its outlook change was based on the growth of the United States' deficits over the last several years as a percentage of gross domestic product, the broadest measure of economic activity.

From 2003 to 2008, the nation's general government debt varied between 2% and 5% of GDP, which is "noticeably larger" than other countries with "AAA" ratings, according to S&P.

In 2009, as the government increased spending to stimulate the economy, S&P said the U.S. debt load "ballooned" to more than 11% and has yet to come down.

On Wall Street, investors reacted to the news by pushing share prices down sharply. The Dow Jones industrial average sank more than 200 points in the first half-hour of trading.

Standard & Poor's is one of three major agencies that evaluate public and private debt issues. Their ratings are key to measuring an investor's risk in buying the debt, an important factor in determining interest rates.

Moody's, one of the other big ratings agencies, described the two deficit reduction plans currently on the table as "a significant shift in the U.S. fiscal debate."

"This potential change in the direction of fiscal policy is credit positive for the U.S. federal government," according to Moody's Weekly Credit Outlook report. "Although it remains uncertain what sort of budget will actually be adopted."

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: U.S. credit rating outlook lowered by S&P
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 09:13:49 AM »
And yet, we have Madoff-in-Chief lying his ass off that we need to go to even further debt.   

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 09:15:35 AM »
Straw Man says that we don't spend enough. Maybe he and his far-left buddies know something S&P doesn't?  ???

225for70

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 09:20:14 AM »
Obama Plays Down S&P Outlook Change

The Obama administration moved swiftly Monday to downplay ratings agency S&P's downgrade of its U.S. credit outlook, calling the decision a political judgment that should not be taken too seriously.

The timing of S&P's announcement was unwelcome for the White House, coming just as President Obama tried to regain the initiative on the deficit debate in Washington.

Last week Obama laid out his plan to reduce the budget deficit by $4 trillion over 12 years, trying to give markets confidence that he was serious about tackling U.S. fiscal woes.

Standard & Poor's downgraded the outlook for the United States to negative, saying it believes there is a risk U.S. policymakers would not reach agreement on how to address the country's long-term fiscal pressures by 2013.

So much for market confidence.

The White House strategy:

1) Pan S&P.

"I don't think that we should make too much out of that," top White House economist Austan Goolsbee said on MSNBC, referring to the S&P downgrade.

"What the S&P is doing is making a political judgment and it is one that we don't agree with," he said on CNBC.

2) Praise Moody's.

The rival ratings agency said it viewed the direction of U.S. fiscal policy as "credit positive."

"It appears to me that Moody's and some others did not agree with that judgment," Goolsbee said.

3) Express optimism.

White House and U.S. Treasury officials said they believed lawmakers would be able to come up with an agreement to reduce the U.S. deficit. S&P's skepticism of that influenced its decision on the downgrade.

"We think that there has never been more momentum to try to get to fiscal consolidation, so we think that we should give that process its due," a Treasury official said.

4) Buy time.

Obama administration officials said it would take some time to get a solution, and S&P should have waited to allow that to happen.

"I think their timing is off," the Treasury official said.

"I think they should allow the process to work its course here. We have got a lot going on between the White House, Congress, the fiscal commission. I think there are some very serious proposals on the table so I think they should take some time to see what happens."

RELATED LINKS
S&P Cuts US Debt OutlookAmid Din, Serious Talk on DebtRepublican Budget Plan to Eliminate National Debt: Ryan
Copyright 2011 Thomson Reuters. Click for restrictions.

TOPICS:Barack Obama | White House | United States | Debt | Politics and Government

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 09:21:52 AM »

The Obama administration moved swiftly Monday to downplay ratings agency S&P's downgrade of its U.S. credit outlook, calling the decision a political judgment that should not be taken too seriously.

The timing of S&P's announcement was unwelcome for the White House, coming just as President Obama tried to regain the initiative on the deficit debate in Washington.

Last week Obama laid out his plan to reduce the budget deficit by $4 trillion over 12 years, trying to give markets confidence that he was serious about tackling U.S. fiscal woes.

Standard & Poor's downgraded the outlook for the United States to negative, saying it believes there is a risk U.S. policymakers would not reach agreement on how to address the country's long-term fiscal pressures by 2013.

1) Pan S&P.

"I don't think that we should make too much out of that," top White House economist Austan Goolsbee said on MSNBC, referring to the S&P downgrade.

"What the S&P is doing is making a political judgment and it is one that we don't agree with," he said on CNBC.

2) Praise Moody's.

The rival ratings agency said it viewed the direction of U.S. fiscal policy as "credit positive."

"It appears to me that Moody's and some others did not agree with that judgment," Goolsbee said.

3) Express optimism.

White House and U.S. Treasury officials said they believed lawmakers would be able to come up with an agreement to reduce the U.S. deficit. S&P's skepticism of that influenced its decision on the downgrade.

"We think that there has never been more momentum to try to get to fiscal consolidation, so we think that we should give that process its due," a Treasury official said.

4) Buy time.

Obama administration officials said it would take some time to get a solution, and S&P should have waited to allow that to happen.

"I think they should allow the process to work its course here. We have got a lot going on between the White House, Congress, the fiscal commission. I think there are some very serious proposals on the table so I think they should take some time to see what happens."

RELATED LINKS
S&P Cuts US Debt OutlookAmid Din, Serious Talk on DebtRepublican Budget Plan to Eliminate National Debt: Ryan

TOPICS:Barack Obama | White House | United States | Debt | Politics and Government

Does anyone really need anymore evidence that Obama is TRYING to collapse the nation?   

225for70

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 09:29:04 AM »

Does anyone really need anymore evidence that Obama is TRYING to collapse the nation?   

He's not trying. He's succeeding at destroying the nation?  Has he even mentioned higher gas prices yet? Other than you should buy a 50K more efficient ultra sub compact, piece of shit made by GM?

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 09:31:50 AM »
He's not trying. He's succeeding at destroying the nation?  Has he even mentioned higher gas prices yet? Other than you should buy a 50K more efficient ultra sub compact, piece of shit made by GM?

The Volt is tearing it up, man. I think something like 612 sold in March. If that's not market dominance then I don't know what is.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 09:32:29 AM »
The Volt is tearing it up, man. I think something like 612 sold in March. If that's not market dominance then I don't know what is.

And burned down a house in california. 

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 10:29:50 AM »

What a dick.

Mr Market seems to be taking the S&P rating seriously. Unless of course it's just a scam to get more people to sell before the push through recent highs.

At least Mr Obama can't blame bush for this one.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 10:33:56 AM »
What a dick.

Mr Market seems to be taking the S&P rating seriously. Unless of course it's just a scam to get more people to sell before the push through recent highs.

At least Mr Obama can't blame bush for this one.

You really can't make it up anymore.   I get a ton of flak for my vitriolic attacks on obama, but stories like this make e feel 100000000000% vindicated.     

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 12:09:39 PM »
AGAIN - IS OBAMA FUCKING KIDDING?   

F
U
C
K

Y
O
U

O
B
A
M
A

Who the hell can possibly support this pofs any more?

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 01:19:03 PM »
115 House Dems Insist S&P Credit Warning Means GOP Should Agree to Raise Debt Ceiling With No Strings Attached

(Washington Examiner) — More than half of House Democrats are seizing on news that Standard and Poor’s could downgrade the United States’ bond rating to make the argument that Republicans need to raise the debt limit without tying it to additional spending restraint.

“America pays its bills,” said Rep. Peter Welch, D-Vt., who got 114 Democratic House members to sign a letter demanding a “clean extension” of the debt ceiling. “I hope Majority Leader Cantor and those in Congress seizing upon debt ceiling pressure as a ‘leverage opportunity’ are listening to the markets today and thinking twice about their risky strategy.”

Yet if anything, the S&P analysis (registration required) should lead one to the exact opposite conclusion as the Democrats reached. Not only did the warning not mention the debt limit issue, the ratings agency said was that it had growing concerns about whether political leaders would be able to come together in the near future to put the nation on a fiscal path that was comparable to other AAA rated countries.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/04/house-dems-insist-sp-warning-means-congress-should-raise-debt-cei?utm_source=feedburner+BeltwayConfidential&utm_medium=feed+Beltway+Confidential&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BeltwayConfidential+%28Beltway+Confidential%29feed&utm_content=feed&utm_term=feed

Got to love Democrat logic. When in doubt, SPEND MORE. And I thought Straw Man, with his claims that we don't spend enough, was a bit of an anomaly. Silly me.  ::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 01:25:55 PM »
DEMOCRAT = MADOFF

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
115 House Dems Insist S&P Credit Warning Means GOP Should Agree to Raise Debt Ceiling With No Strings Attached

(Washington Examiner) — More than half of House Democrats are seizing on news that Standard and Poor’s could downgrade the United States’ bond rating to make the argument that Republicans need to raise the debt limit without tying it to additional spending restraint.

“America pays its bills,” said Rep. Peter Welch, D-Vt., who got 114 Democratic House members to sign a letter demanding a “clean extension” of the debt ceiling. “I hope Majority Leader Cantor and those in Congress seizing upon debt ceiling pressure as a ‘leverage opportunity’ are listening to the markets today and thinking twice about their risky strategy.”

Yet if anything, the S&P analysis (registration required) should lead one to the exact opposite conclusion as the Democrats reached. Not only did the warning not mention the debt limit issue, the ratings agency said was that it had growing concerns about whether political leaders would be able to come together in the near future to put the nation on a fiscal path that was comparable to other AAA rated countries.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/04/house-dems-insist-sp-warning-means-congress-should-raise-debt-cei?utm_source=feedburner+BeltwayConfidential&utm_medium=feed+Beltway+Confidential&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BeltwayConfidential+%28Beltway+Confidential%29feed&utm_content=feed&utm_term=feed

Got to love Democrat logic. When in doubt, SPEND MORE. And I thought Straw Man, with his claims that we don't spend enough, was a bit of an anomaly. Silly me.  ::)

115 Democrats think this? Holy shit!

I am absolutely shocked... I would have thought it would have been the fringe left, but 115 house Dems?

Unfucking-Believable.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 04:05:48 PM »

1) Pan S&P.

2) Praise Moody's.

3) Express optimism.

4) Buy time.

RELATED LINKS

Hahahahahahahahaha

They also told the public not to worry about rising oils prices. Just stick your head up your ass and all the problems just magically disapear.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 04:30:06 PM »

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 06:24:25 PM »
Lou Dobbs was apoplectic over obama admn down playing this.  He tries to be down the middle but couldn't contain himself today.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 05:00:49 AM »
Updated: Tue., Apr. 19, 2011, 12:21 AM 
Nat'l red (Ink) alert
By MICHAEL A. WALSH
www.nypost.com
Posted: 9:55 PM, April 18, 2011

Well, looky here: Hard on the heels of the House's passage of Rep. Paul Ryan's bold "path to prosperity" budget -- and just in time for the big debate over raising the nation's $14 trillion debt ceiling in order to keep borrowing money we don't have to keep funding "entitlement" programs we can no longer afford in their present forms -- along comes the credit-rating agency, Standard & Poor's, with a bracing dose of reality therapy.

The outlook on the country maintaining its long-term AAA credit rating is now officially "negative": "We believe there is a material risk that US policymakers might not reach an agreement on how to address medium-and long-term budgetary challenges by 2013," reported S&P. "If an agreement is not reached and meaningful implementation does not begin by then, this would in our view render the US fiscal profile meaningfully weaker than that of peer 'AAA' sovereigns."

Translation: Unless Congress and the White House stop the fiscal shenanigans and get serious about cutting both the deficit (the year-to-year shortfall, now over $1 trillion) and the national debt (above $14 trillion and soaring), the "full faith and credit" of the United States is in danger of becoming an international joke.

There's plenty of blame to go around for the parlous state in which we find ourselves, starting with the lack of political will to actually do something about it. With the majority of the federal budget devoted to defense, entitlements and interest on the debt, politicians have been reduced to arguing around the edges over "cuts" that are either meaningless or downright illusory.

In the wake of news that the highly touted $38.5 billion in cuts in the recent 2011 budget deal actually yielded only $352 million in real savings this year, the Republican leadership is on notice that next time -- that is, the coming donnybrook over raising the debt ceiling -- it's going to have to deliver on promises of a smaller, leaner and more efficient government.

Meanwhile, President Obama -- who as a senator vehemently opposed raising the debt ceiling in 2006, but now says he was wrong -- signaled in his speech last week that he means to keep the spending pedal headed straight for the bankruptcy metal in flat-out pursuit of his social-redistributionist agenda.

In private remarks last week to donors at a Chicago fund-raiser that were inadvertently transmitted into the White House press room, Obama complained of GOP efforts to chip away at his spending priorities, including ObamaCare -- then rhetorically asked Republicans, "Do you think we're stupid?"

Yet the battle between the makers and the takers simply must be sorted out, both philosophically and economically, if the United States is not to collapse under the weight of its good intentions, impossible promises and massive unfunded liabilities.

Liberal appeals to a "higher morality" that somehow dictates we must beggar ourselves in expiation for real or imaginary past sins ought to be given exactly zero weight in the national conversation that the S&P warning demands.

One way to get a grip -- unemotionally, intellectually -- on the problem doesn't even involve spending. According to IRS figures, nearly half of filers pay no income tax at all, while the top 5 percent pay nearly 60 percent of the total income-tax burden. This must stop.

It is not healthy for our democracy to have half the population with its hand out and no skin in the game. Necessary and proper taxes ought to be the patriotic duty of every citizen.

And the whole tax code is obscenely complex. If we can't move to the Flat Tax or the Fair Tax (a national sales tax replacing the income tax), then we need something to make the thousands of pages of IRS rules comprehensible and fair. When the tax-compliance industry employs more people than Wal-Mart, UPS, McDonald's, IBM and Citigroup combined, there has simply got to be a better way.

The productive citizenry can longer be looked on as a milk cow. No one argues that there shouldn't be some sort of social safety net. What we ought to be discussing are its practical limits.

In the end, isn't that what real "fairness" is all about?

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 05:23:14 AM »
This is a bigger deal than most people think....and most people probably think it's pretty bad.
Y

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 03:10:24 PM »
Bump for people like Straw Man, who actually believes that the US needs to be spend MORE.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 05:01:37 AM »
S&P Tells Biggest Debtor Don’t Blow Final Act: Caroline Baum
By Caroline Baum - Apr 19, 2011 7:00 PM ET Bloomberg Opinion

Rarely has a credit rating company made such an astute observation of the human condition.

“We believe there is a material risk that U.S. policy makers might not reach an agreement on how to address medium- and long-term budgetary challenges by 2013,” Standard & Poor’s said on assigning a negative outlook to the U.S. AAA-credit rating Monday.

Any observer of the budget debate in Washington would have to believe there’s a material risk, too.

The U.S. Treasury, aware that any rise in interest rates from increased credit risk would further damage its fiscal position, was quick to counter S&P’s shot across the bow. The negative outlook “underestimates the ability of America’s leaders to come together” to solve the debt problem, Assistant Secretary for Financial Markets Mary Miller said.

Come together? Miller must be watching a different theatrical production than I am. Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner was shuttled off to TV business channels yesterday to tell us that, unlike S&P, his outlook on the U.S. fiscal situation isn’t negative.

Take a look at the first four acts of this drama, and you decide who’s right.

Act I: Dec. 1, 2010. Moment of Truth.

President Barack Obama’s National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform releases its report. The commission’s plan relies on tax simplification and spending cuts to increase revenue. It aims to save $4 trillion over 10 years, reducing projected budget deficits to 2.3 percent of gross domestic product by 2015 from an estimated 10.9 percent this year. It includes a rise in the Social Security retirement age, lower federal entitlement benefits, a three-year freeze on federal workers’ pay and the elimination of “tax expenditures,” or the estimated $1.1 trillion of revenue lost each year to tax exemptions and loopholes. Small-government conservatives are unhappy that outlays as a share of GDP would decrease to 21 percent. Most everyone else sees the commission’s report as a fine start.

Act II: Feb. 14, 2011. La-La Land.

Obama ignores the recommendations of the commission and submits his $3.7 trillion budget request for fiscal 2012 to Congress. The blueprint is long on generalities and short on specifics. It purports to return annual deficits to a “sustainable” level by mid-decade but fails to address entitlement spending on programs such as Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security. Obama’s budget looks a lot like the Congressional Budget Office’s baseline, or auto-pilot projection, over the next 10 years and is sustainable only to the extent that the current trajectory of spending and revenue is sustainable.

Act III: April 5, 2011. “Path to Prosperity.”

House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan, Republican of Wisconsin, offers his plan to cut spending and simplify the tax code, lowering the rates and broadening the base. Ryan is applauded for his bold vision and reviled (by Democrats) for his bold vision. Ryan’s plan slashes government spending to below 20 percent of GDP and lowers the top tax rate for households and business to 25 percent from its current 35 percent. He claims to find cost savings by harnessing competition, allowing future retirees to choose a Medicare plan from private insurers while providing assistance for lower-income beneficiaries with greater health risks.

Act IV: April 13, 2011. Get Serious.

Obama tells an audience at George Washington University the U.S. has to live within its means and pay down its debt. Any serious plan to tackle the deficit has to address entitlements, he says. (See Act II for his unserious plan.) The president spends more time explaining how we got here (Bush’s fault) and trashing the Ryan budget than advocating for his own. His role in the debt binge is limited to emergency spending in response to the financial crisis he inherited. Obama proposes to reduce the deficit by $4 trillion in 12 years by cutting discretionary spending, finding savings in the defense budget, reducing the cost of health care via Obamacare and eliminating tax breaks. The president will protect seniors, the middle class and investments in education, medical research and clean energy by taxing the rich.

Act V: Sometime in the future. “Pray for the Gang of Six.”

In the final act of a Shakespearean tragedy, the conflict is resolved. In real life, the two political parties are on opposite sides of the stage separated by what President George H.W. Bush called the “vision thing.”

Former Senator Alan Simpson, co-chair of the president’s deficit commission, summed up the impasse after listening to Obama’s partisan speech last week, telling reporters to “Pray for the Gang of Six.”

The Senate’s bipartisan “Gang of Six” has yet to complete or release its deficit-reduction proposal. The fact that the three Democrats and three Republicans can be in the same room together offers the best hope for some kind of compromise. Obama has yet to invite Ryan to the White House even though the congressman has been teeing up budget ideas for a couple of years.

Some analysts viewed S&P’s surprise shift to a negative outlook for the U.S.’s long-term credit rating as a timely kick in the pants. If the warning of higher borrowing costs -- Treasuries rallied Monday -- creates some urgency to address these problems now, then it was a good thing.

Of course, there’s bad news too. As with earlier downgrades to companies about to go under, S&P may already be late.

(Caroline Baum, author of “Just What I Said,” is a Bloomberg News columnist. The opinions expressed are her own.)

To contact the writer of this column: Caroline Baum in New York at cabaum@bloomberg.net.

To contact the editor responsible for this column: James Greiff at jgreiff@bloomberg.net

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 11:43:01 AM »
Obama Officials Privately Asked S&P Not To Lower U.S. Credit Outlook: Report

President Barack Obama rolls up his sleeves during a town hall meeting to discuss reducing the U.S. government spending deficit.

The Huffington Post

Yepoka Yeebo  First Posted: 04/20/11 10:03 AM ET Updated: 04/20/11 10:34 AM ET

In the weeks before Standard & Poor's officially lowered its outlook on U.S. credit, Obama administration officials repeatedly attempted to convince the credit rating agency not to make the switch, The Washington Post reported on Wednesday.

Fearing the move could jeopardize the country's current AAA credit rating -- the highest rating possible -- Treasury officials attempted to convince S&P analysts that the ratings firm had underestimated the capabilities of Washington politicians to lower the federal deficit, an unnamed Treasury official told the Post. Officials also reportedly said a deal had already been put in place to solve the currently looming debt ceiling issue.

The behind-the-scenes news come two days after S&P lowered the U.S. credit outlook to negative from stable on fears that Congress might not be able to reach a long-term deal to slash the soaring federal budget deficit. S&P put policymakers on notice, reporting there to be "at least a one-in-three" chance that the U.S. government could lose its its AAA credit rating.

If the U.S. credit rating does eventually get downgraded, government debt would become significantly less appealing to investors like China and Japan, who would be less certain to get a return. In turn, that fear would make it harder for the Treasury to borrow additional money, causing a spike in mortgage rates and a tightening in credit conditions across the economy. Altogether, that could potentially derail the national economic recovery.

The move by analysts at S&P increased pressure on the Obama administration and Congress to come up with an aggressive long-term plan to reduce the currently $1.5 trillion budget deficit, roughly equivalent to 9.8 percent of U.S. economic output. Last week, the Obama administration proposed a plan that would trim $4 trillion from the budget deficit over the next 12 years, mostly through spending cuts and tax hikes on the rich.

In the Republican-controlled House of Representatives on Friday, a differing deal was approved, this one reducing deficits by $4 trillion over the next 10 years while also extending President George W. Bush's tax cuts at all income levels and repealing Obama's health care law.

The two factions must strike a deal before the country reaches its $14.3 trillion debt ceiling -- the maximum amount it can borrow under law -- which the Treasury Department estimates the country will hit by May 16. Already, there are signs the White House's proposed deficit negotiations are unraveling.

Story continues below
AdvertisementFor months, officials have warned of dire consequences if the debt limit is left at its current $14.3 trillion ceiling, the consequence of which could be a federal government default, likely devastating the global economy.

Under such a scenario, Treasury yields would rise, causing the cost of borrowing for the U.S. government, and for all of its citizens, to likely skyrocket. Markets around the world might then be thrown into panic, with such an event possibly touching off an economic crisis far worse than the current recession, Geithner recently told Congress.

MB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 11:49:41 AM »
Under such a scenario, Treasury yields would rise, causing the cost of borrowing for the U.S. government, and for all of its citizens, to likely skyrocket. Markets around the world might then be thrown into panic, with such an event possibly touching off an economic crisis far worse than the current recession, Geithner recently told Congress.

More fear mongering.   

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 05:13:40 PM »
Obama Officials Privately Asked S&P Not To Lower U.S. Credit Outlook: Report

President Barack Obama rolls up his sleeves during a town hall meeting to discuss reducing the U.S. government spending deficit.

The Huffington Post

Yepoka Yeebo  First Posted: 04/20/11 10:03 AM ET Updated: 04/20/11 10:34 AM ET

In the weeks before Standard & Poor's officially lowered its outlook on U.S. credit, Obama administration officials repeatedly attempted to convince the credit rating agency not to make the switch, The Washington Post reported on Wednesday.

Fearing the move could jeopardize the country's current AAA credit rating -- the highest rating possible -- Treasury officials attempted to convince S&P analysts that the ratings firm had underestimated the .

No, the administration/government scum  wouldnt skew numbers or try to put pressure on anyone that would have them look bad, would they?  I bet the comments at Huffington are enough to make you wanna puke considering most think they are entitled to everything and that printing money is fucking great.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2011, 06:24:28 PM »
Straw Man: "They didn't spend enough on the stimulus and they're not spending enough now."