Author Topic: Wrist Cable Attachments  (Read 2725 times)

theEsquire

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
Wrist Cable Attachments
« on: December 30, 2020, 04:38:47 AM »
Has anyone tried/use wrist cable attachments?  They've become popular over the past year or so and ostensibly help "take grip out of the equation" on exercises such as cable side laterals and cable tricep extensions. 

Hunter Labrada uses them a lot...  not that that means they're effective.

Do they work or just the latest gimmick?

Thanks in advance.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
Re: Wrist Cable Attachments
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 05:02:25 AM »
Is someone so weak that they can't hang on to the normal handle?

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 02:01:18 PM »
They are another fad.

Nothing wrong with them, just not really going to change anything unless you have missing fingers and/or abnormalities with your hands.

My mother uses them because she has terrible arthritis in her fingers and struggles with her grip.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 05:45:19 PM »
I might suggest lifting straps, rather than wrist cable attachments.

Simple to uses and very easy to slide on or off. They come in pairs, one designed for the right hand and one designed for the left hand (of course). They are self adjusting and very reliable. Prefer the straps made from a nylon material, pretty much the same material that seat belts are made from. Not much money, a good investment.

There are also leather and cotton straps. I have snapped a few cotton straps over the years, they will rip over time. The leather ones can stretch a bit, but still good.

Wrist/hand/glove type attachments  have been around for a long time and probable at least a dozen or more in different styles. A few BB'ers prefer them, because when your grip gives out your not going to be able get those extra rep in that can  work the muscles to their best. Trying for 8 reps and failing at 5 reps because of grip is a example. 

Some PL'ers and Olympic lifted will use straps, but very limited in their training. If DL'ing 550 and you want to try for 600 for 2 reps. than some guys will apply lifting straps for that new weight. Just getting the body use to that extra weight attempt. The grip will usually catch up to the weight that is lifted after a while.

There is also the hook grip that some lifters used, rather than lifting straps.  But it can have limited for a lot of guys. A lot of lifters use mainly chalk, either from a stick, block or powder form. Also other sticky stuff around for the grip.

Good Luck.
F

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 09:57:43 PM »
Is someone so weak that they can't hang on to the normal handle?

Arthritis can be a real bitch. My hands cramp up with pain when I least expect it. This has nothing to do with being weak overall, It is just an unreliable grip. It is one of the reasons I don't do bench presses anymore and use a Nautilus or other type machine where the bar can't be dropped on your neck and kill you.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 10:50:48 AM »
Actually with  lifting wrist straps not a lot in the way of grip pressure/strength is needed, owning to the wrap around nature of straps and their self tightening adjustments.

Some guys made need basic instructions to how to use lifting straps the correct way. But all in all, pretty simple process. Can use them on chinning bars, DB's, lat/pulldown machines, etc.

Some will fold  the straps over while still around their wrist, resting on their palms/hands, and  do heavy benches, letting the straps act as pads.  Found some guy's over the years who have trouble with the bar digging into their palms when doing extra heavy benches. They will use some form of hand pads. A few will us kitchen pot holder. Sponges also used, the thicker types.

Good Luck

F

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 12:46:57 PM »
Actually with  lifting wrist straps not a lot in the way of grip pressure/strength is needed, owning to the wrap around nature of straps and their self tightening adjustments.

Some guys made need basic instructions to how to use lifting straps the correct way. But all in all, pretty simple process. Can use them on chinning bars, DB's, lat/pulldown machines, etc.

Some will fold  the straps over while still around their wrist, resting on their palms/hands, and  do heavy benches, letting the straps act as pads.  Found some guy's over the years who have trouble with the bar digging into their palms when doing extra heavy benches. They will use some form of hand pads. A few will us kitchen pot holder. Sponges also used, the thicker types.

Good Luck

Probably because maxing out my lifts has never been a goal, I didn't consider using lifting straps. This goes to show how some of us limit ourselves. It never occurred to me to use lifting straps for regular bodybuilding and fitness exercises. I just figured they were something power lifters use.