Getbig Main Boards > Politics and Political Issues Board

The MAGA King has been arrested

(1/4) > >>

Wayne Tracker:
My only question is why the Republican Party in New Mexico couldn't find ANYONE else to run for office other than a convicted felon who spent 9 years in prison

Seriously, there wasn't anyone else in this district they could have put up instead of him?

After losing his election by almost 50 points he refused to concede, declared himself the MAGA King and after "researching his options" apparently decided that his best option was to hire people to shoot into the houses of his perceived enemies

--- Quote ---Failed New Mexico candidate arrested in shootings at Democrats

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A 39-year-old felon who overwhelmingly lost a bid for the New Mexico statehouse as a Republican paid for four men to shoot at Democratic lawmakers’ homes in recent months, including one house where a 10-year-old girl was asleep, police said.

The case against Solomon Peña, who had posted photos of himself online with Donald Trump campaign material, is one of dozens across the United States where people have threatened, and in some cases attempted to carry out, violence against members of Congress, school board members and other election officials. In Kansas, a trial began this week for a man who prosecutors say threatened to kill a congressman.

Officials accuse Peña of paying $500 to four men to shoot at the homes of Democratic lawmakers. He went along for the final drive-by, his gun jamming as bullets ripped into the bedroom of the girl, police said.

The criminal complaint against the self-proclaimed “MAGA king” describes how anger over his landslide defeat in November led to attacks at the homes of four Democratic lawmakers in New Mexico’s largest city. A SWAT team arrested him Monday afternoon, police said.

Peña spent nine years behind bars after his arrest in April 2007 for stealing electronics and other goods from several retail stores as part of what authorities described as a burglary crew. He was released from prison in March 2016, and had his voting rights restored after completing five years probation in April 2021, corrections officials said.

Peña ran unsuccessfully in November against incumbent state Rep. Miguel P. Garcia, the longtime Democrat representing House District 14 in the South Valley. Peña got 26% of the vote.

Peña, whose criminal past came up during the campaign, repeatedly made baseless claims that the election was “rigged” against him.

“I dissent. I am the MAGA king,” he posted the day after the election.

On Nov. 15, he posted an image of himself in a “Make America Great Again” hoodie, saying “Trump just announced for 2024. I stand with him. I never conceded my HD 14 race. Now researching my options.”

--- End quote ---
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/01/17/new-mexico-shootings-candidate-00078239

LurkerNoMore:
In all fairness, we can say that Hershel isn't the worst candidate they ever put up now.

Wayne Tracker:

--- Quote from: LurkerNoMore on January 20, 2023, 11:31:34 AM ---In all fairness, we can say that Hershel isn't the worst candidate they ever put up now.

--- End quote ---

fair point
I hadn't thought about that

I do think that former drag queen Anthony Devolder is still in the running

seen here at ~ the 2 minute mark

Wayne Tracker:
Looks like failed Republican candidate Solomon Pena is going to remain in jail pending his trial

I'm still shocked that the New Mexico Republican party decided the best person to run for this office was a convicted felon who had spent 9 years in prison

WTF??

https://www.foxnews.com/us/failed-new-mexico-gop-candidate-solomon-pena-denied-bond-shooting-case

funk51:

--- Quote from: LurkerNoMore on January 20, 2023, 11:31:34 AM ---In all fairness, we can say that Hershel isn't the worst candidate they ever put up now.

--- End quote ---
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version