Author Topic: Weights & cardio and resting heart rate  (Read 2642 times)

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
Weights & cardio and resting heart rate
« on: March 16, 2024, 12:21:27 AM »
So my understanding is weights don't really do much for cardio / bringing down your resting heart rate. Even if you do high reps, dropsets, circuits and supersets and that kind of stuff.

You gotta do actual aerobic work or your resting heart rate ain't gonna be reduced much. Maybe even be elevated due to increased bodyweight from carrying all that extra weight (muscle etc)?

Can someone with insight explain exactly why this is? Heart pounds like crazy during high reps on squats, deads, dropsets.... but it's not good "cardio".

I figure the answer is you need to train the aerobic energy system.

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
Re: Weights & cardio and resting heart rate
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2024, 12:34:49 AM »
"it is not good cardio" yes it is.

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2024, 12:40:38 AM »
I like weights. But I'm not sure that's true.

My understanding is you need actual aerobic work - like long cardio sessions at a little tough but sustainable levels - to bring HR down. Otherwise your heart is working overtime when you're resting.

Hopefully someone can explain the physiology behind this stuff.

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2024, 12:44:38 AM »
Why not just do both. I do.

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2024, 12:50:33 AM »
.... I am not saying not to do both ?

I am trying to learn: "Can someone with insight explain exactly why this is?"

That's all.

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2024, 01:03:13 AM »
Your making the conclusion that weight training is bad for you then asking for an explanation  ::)

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2024, 01:39:39 AM »
No kidding. Just go for a walk after the workout.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2024, 04:56:13 AM »
Basically, it’s  the difference between aerobic and anaerobic training. Most of the time we produce energy aerobically. So, aerobic training is more specific to bring your resting heart rate down.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2024, 07:23:32 AM »
Basically, it’s  the difference between aerobic an anaerobic training. Most of the time we produce energy aerobically. So, aerobic training is more specific to bring your resting heart rate down.
that makes sense

Gym Rat

• Getbig V
  • Libturdz Love The Caulk
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2024, 07:28:25 AM »
Both have benefits for the heart (unless too big/massive and highly drugged).

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20190709/Weightlifting-is-better-for-the-heart-than-cardio.aspx

You ever do high-rep squats?? Your cardio-system is working...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2024, 07:29:52 AM »
My understanding of the PHA system is that Bob Gadja believed the upper & then lower body should be trained thus pushing blood through the whole body.
He believed the body has many valves that push blood up to the upper body & lower body, this would make sense as people with bad "valves" in the lower legs get Varicose veins.

Lartinos

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2024, 08:09:19 AM »
Lifting heavy weights can enlarge your heart etc and reduce its efficiency.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2024, 08:30:05 AM »
So my understanding is weights don't really do much for cardio / bringing down your resting heart rate. Even if you do high reps, dropsets, circuits and supersets and that kind of stuff.

You gotta do actual aerobic work or your resting heart rate ain't gonna be reduced much. Maybe even be elevated due to increased bodyweight from carrying all that extra weight (muscle etc)?

Can someone with insight explain exactly why this is? Heart pounds like crazy during high reps on squats, deads, dropsets.... but it's not good "cardio".

I figure the answer is you need to train the aerobic energy system.

To train aerobically it has to be sustained and not of short duration. Lifting spikes the heart rate then it comes down. It's the definition of anaerobic.  Lifting will give your heart a measure of work but nothing like real cardio.

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Cruising on caffeine and blasting with melatonin
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2024, 08:50:00 AM »
The book THE ONE MINUTE WORKOUT. does a good job of explaining what happens at the cellular level when we exercise. It doesn't necessarily have to do with the length of the aerobic workout, it is much more complicated process. But it has to do with your energy demands and your body.

The body has all kinds of fuel sources: ATP, phosphocreatine. Anaerobiv glycolisis, and oxidative metabolism.  All are very complex processes, for example ATP is turned into ADP and AMP then AMPK then PGC1. And this all effects whats happening at the cellular level.

In short the demands of running uses a different process that increases aerobic capacity and lowers heart rate, the demands of strength training uses a different process that increases muscular strength & size.

If you're interested,  the book will explain it pretty clearly.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2024, 09:50:19 AM »
The book THE ONE MINUTE WORKOUT. does a good job of explaining what happens at the cellular level when we exercise. It doesn't necessarily have to do with the length of the aerobic workout, it is much more complicated process. But it has to do with your energy demands and your body.

The body has all kinds of fuel sources: ATP, phosphocreatine. Anaerobiv glycolisis, and oxidative metabolism.  All are very complex processes, for example ATP is turned into ADP and AMP then AMPK then PGC1. And this all effects whats happening at the cellular level.

In short the demands of running uses a different process that increases aerobic capacity and lowers heart rate, the demands of strength training uses a different process that increases muscular strength & size.

If you're interested,  the book will explain it pretty clearly.
I have never heard of this 1 minute workout but i can tell you from an ex military background that there are no short cuts to staminia & running with weight on your back &  training FIBUA (house to house fighting) ranges.
Patrolling is exhausting .. trust me only long distance training & sprints are the answer which we always trained ..much harder before a tour

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2024, 11:34:49 AM »
I have never heard of this 1 minute workout but i can tell you from an ex military background that there are no short cuts to staminia & running with weight on your back &  training FIBUA (house to house fighting) ranges.
Patrolling is exhausting .. trust me only long distance training & sprints are the answer which we always trained ..much harder before a tour

Yeah... length of training or shorter more intense training can garner tye same results. One is just quicker. In response to MarvinEderFans question about why weight training doesn't necessarily improve cardio, duration of training is irrelevant depending on intensity of training, what is relevant is what pathways the body is using for energy. Taxing your lungs and heart increases cardio capacity.  Taxing large muscle groups increases strength and size, despite the fact that your HR is increased and you're breathing harder.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2024, 12:37:57 PM »
One minute workout?  Going to put that book out of business with a 45 second exercise book.

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2024, 12:58:50 PM »
One minute workout?  Going to put that book out of business with a 45 second exercise book.

Yeah, along with 6 minute abs... i didn't name the book, or write it, nor do I use any type of HIT method when I train but it had some educational information in it.

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2024, 02:15:19 PM »

Im with the leprechaun 🍀 on this one just do both, I do as well.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2024, 02:40:55 PM »
There’s a reason every boxing champion throughout History has done long slow distance running, Roadwork. There’s a reason marathon runners run 100 miles a week. Aerobic training is high-volume training. You can’t get it in one minute.

https://evolve-mma.com/blog/watch-an-inside-look-at-undefeated-boxing-world-champion-floyd-mayweather-jr-s-training-routine-videos/

To build his cardiovascular fitness, Mayweather runs 5-8 miles a day. Unlike other boxers, Mayweather prefers to run late at night, at 1 am. In an interview, Mayweather admitted that he preferred training late at night.

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2024, 04:20:38 PM »
Look I didn't write the fucking book. No shit you can't train for a boxing match or a marathon in one minute.

* and for the record the book never prescribes a one minute work out. IIRC its about one minute intervals. The book is about HIT and Interval training.*

Im answering marvin eders question about why weight lifting doesn't produce cardio benefits. And im not endorsing the book. There's a chapter that directly answers his question.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2024, 04:22:30 PM »
the more muscle mass you have the worse your resting heart rate will be aswell so if you want to bodybuild you do better in quit worrying about it

you might be able to lower it some by cardio but in general more mass and especially steroids = high resting heart rate

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2024, 05:46:57 PM »
Look I didn't write the fucking book. No shit you can't train for a boxing match or a marathon in one minute.

* and for the record the book never prescribes a one minute work out. IIRC its about one minute intervals. The book is about HIT and Interval training.*

Im answering marvin eders question about why weight lifting doesn't produce cardio benefits. And im not endorsing the book. There's a chapter that directly answers his question.

This is the Author. He admits you can’t change muscle fiber type. Slow twitch fibers respond to volume. It doesn’t mean that there aren’t any benefits to high intensity short interval, training. You’re just not gonna get aerobic adaptations.

Episode 4 | Dr. Martin Gibala | Does 1-Min of High Intensity Exercise Equal 45-Mins of Moderate Exertion? - Kathy Smith

https://www.kathysmith.com/thin-1-minute-seriously/

If people fall into a pattern of exercising long and slow (60-70% intensity), are they missing something in terms of their fitness and health?
It depends: in humans, there aren’t many changes in muscle fiber type, so it’s difficult to convert one fiber type to the other, but you can cause positive adaptations in these muscle fibers when you engage them. One school of thought is that interval training/high intensity exercise helps you recruit your large, powerful motor units that innervate fast-twitch muscle fibers, so part of the response is that these fibers are engaged and then adapt to the training. It is possible to engage or recruit all muscle fibers if you exercise long enough, but that results in fatiguing exercise.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2024, 05:50:48 PM »
Bodybuilders and lifters seem to have a hard time understanding aerobic training. I did too, when I first started. I would always run hard. It’s counterintuitive that moderate intensity exercise for an extended period would have any benefits, but that’s how the aerobic system works. The overload is in the form of volume/duration, running at the same pace for 30min as opposed to 20min.