Author Topic: Fresh Start at the Gym....Once Again  (Read 44463 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Every brother ain't a brother.
Re: Fresh Start at the Gym....Once Again
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2020, 10:39:52 AM »
You're kicking butt Prime.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2020, 12:53:55 AM »
Unfortunately not today. Things got a little crazy around here when my son-in-law somehow dropped a very heavy chopping block on to his big toe, breaking it. He's in the hospital  now waiting until tomorrow to find out if surgery will be necessary since this toe already has some metal replacement parts in it.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2020, 01:44:17 PM »
Sorry to hear about the broken foot.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2020, 01:45:39 PM »
At this time, I am not too concerned with how much weight I am lifting so the 30 second rest is just right for me on everything except squats and leg presses where I am resting for 1 minute now.

Trained chest/pecs

Increased the weights by 0 - 40 lbs (on the pullover)

3x10 with 30 second rest between sets:

Seated bench press
Seated incline bench press
Seated decline bench press
Dips
Machine pec flys
Pullover

10 minutes cardio on the treadmil (fast walk) - pulse up to 110

Weight 182

-Felt like doing more pec flys so I did 3 more sets of 10 on my way to the locker room using a different machine just to change them up a bit. I am stronger on pulling exercises than I am on pushing ones. This is mainly due to the weakness and pain in my hands, I think. I actually decreased the resistance on two of the three chest/bench press movements. I increased it on the dips and the pec flys.

Interesting gym observation yesterday and today. Although I went to two different gyms none of the televisions were tuned to FOX News at either place. They were either tuned to other news stations, such as MSN and CNN or sports casting. One TV today was tuned to the Ellen show. Both gyms are in areas more likely to vote Republican. It's probably just a fluke. Both gyms have at least a dozen TV's turned on.

I would never train at a gym that didn't have FOX on.  ;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2020, 01:52:45 PM »
I would never train at a gym that didn't have FOX on.  ;D

You might have to if you lived in the Portland Metro area or even all of Oregon.

According to the state's election agency, as of December 2018, there were 2,755,950 registered voters in Oregon, with their political party affiliations (highest to lowest) as follows: 35.4% Democratic Party. 32.1% "Non-affiliated" with any party. 25.6% Republican Party.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2020, 06:59:22 PM »
Today was another day spent in an out-of-town meeting. Just got home and it is almost 7:00 p.m. Aren't I supposed to be retired? I have a committee workshop in Salem on the 29th. I should stop saying yes when I am asked to be on a board, a committee, a delegate and organizing or lobbying work.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2020, 04:22:54 PM »
Finally made it to the gym. Yahoo! Had a really great workout too.

Worked quads and calves.

3 sets of 10 for every exercise - felt strong so I increased the resistance accordingly. But not so much that I could complete every set and all the reps.

Seated leg extensions
leg presses
Front squats, using the York Barbell STS Power Front Squat machine
standing calf raises
leg press calves (good stretch on this in both directions)
seated calf raises

20 minutes on the treadmill. And surprise, I can actually walk and not break into a jog at 3.8 with the incline set at 3.5

Didn't feel finished so I did abductions and adductions

Afterwards, I went to Burgerville and ordered the impossible whopper. Had Iced tea to drink.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a day off. But I am pumped so I may go to the gym on Sunday...the day of rest.  :)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2020, 12:51:46 PM »
I use the abductions and adduction leg machine when I start feeling hip pain. It's good exercises to do avoid muscular imbalance issues. I especially like the abduction machine.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2020, 02:01:57 PM »
I use the abductions and adduction leg machine when I start feeling hip pain. It's good exercises to do avoid muscular imbalance issues. I especially like the abduction machine.

Yeah well, I woke up with sore hips and lower back this morning. After moving around some, they feel better.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2020, 06:56:42 PM »
I think walking is a fountain of youth. I guess time will tell. I think it was in the 1920's they use have walking competitions. Many of the champs lived well into their 90's.  As we all know it's not the length of time on earth but how much of the time is in good health that matter reference the physical. So many illnesses are the result of not using the body and resting  too much.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2020, 04:37:57 PM »
Hips and back are okay now. The soreness was temporary. That's good. No setbacks are invited to this game.

Worked triceps, biceps and forearms today

Continued the 3 sets of 10 reps with a 30 second rest between sets. Felt unusually strong today so I increased the resistance again 10-20 lbs.

Seated cable biceps curls
Standing triceps push-downs
EZ bar curls
Triceps overhead extensions
Barbell wrist curls
Reverse EZ bar curls

Mixed up the cardio a bit. Used a side step machine that is a killer for about 5 minutes, then 20 minutes on the recumbent bicycle and back to another 5 minutes on the side step machine.

Now I have the yawns and I am supposed to go to the NW labor counsel meeting tonight. It's a boring meeting anyway, so there is a good chance that I will nod off during the meeting.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2020, 07:15:09 PM »
Good for you Prime.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2020, 04:28:08 PM »
Tuesday; trained Hams and Calves

lying leg curls
Seated leg curls
Seated hip abduction and adductions
Reverse hack squats
Standing calf raises
Leg press calf raises
seated calf raises

increased the resistance 10 - 40 lbs. (reverse hack squat)

10 minutes cardio on stationary bike - pulse up to 98

Weight 184

25 minutes stationary bike

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2020, 04:32:11 PM »
Trained back

Reverse grip lat pulldowns
Bench rows
Low cable rows
Front lat pulldowns
one arm dumbbell bent rows

In creased resistance 0 - 20lbs.

10 minutes rowing, 10 minutes treadmill, 2 minutes side stair stepper  - pulse up to 100

Weight 184

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2020, 11:57:11 PM »
2/27 Thursday

Today I worked delts, traps and abs.

3 X 10 reps with a 30 second rest between sets:

Increased resistance by 5 to 10 lbs most exercises.

Overhead presses on the Nautilus
Seated lateral raises
Bent lateral raises
Shrugs (I did these using a cable with a very narrow grip because for some reason there were no bars to be found to use with the cable)
Cable upright rows (same stupid narrow grip, was going to use an EZ curl bar but they were all in use)
Nautilus ab machine
Nautilus low back machine

10 minutes cardio on rowing and 10 minutes on the treadmill

Weight 181

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2020, 12:13:21 AM »
Took Friday off because I went out on Thursday night and didn't get home until almost 3:00 a.m.

2/29/2020 Saturday

Worked out a little later because I attended my grandson and his fiancee's baby shower. The baby is due in April. I discovered that working out on a full stomach is a bad idea. My energy was low and I actually worked up a small sweat as well as having to rest for 90 seconds between sets on the front squat. When I did cardio at the end of the workout, my pulse was 135 which is crazy high for me.

Anyway, I worked quads and calves today

3 sets of 10 for every exercise.  I increased the resistance on every exercise by anywhere from 5 - 30 lbs. (on the leg press)

Seated leg extensions - different machine where each leg is worked independently. I like it.
leg presses - figured out how to set the machine to allow for a really deep press.
Front squats, using the York Barbell STS Power Front Squat machine -on increased the resistance by 20 lbs. I really got winded doing these even with the 90 second rest between sets. What is important is I got all three sets of 10 completed without resting at the top of the movement.
Added hip abductions and adductions part to this routine. They feel like a good way to finish off the heavier leg work.
standing calf raises
leg press calves (good stretch on this in both directions)
seated calf raises - no sure why, but 95 lbs felt heavy on this exercise

20 minutes on the recumbent bicycle - Started with a pulse of 135 and finished with a pulse of 127 averaging 130. Normally, I have to really work to get it over 100.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2020, 11:02:30 PM »
Monday 3/2/2020

Triceps, biceps and forearms

Seated d-bell curls (can't believe how much more resistance I am already able to hoist in good form).
Triceps push down - Always a favorite of mine
Standing EZ curls- EZ curl bar not available so I used a straight bar. I like how it felt doing the exercise
Triceps  overhead extensions - again a big resistance increase. My triceps should be growing.
Barbell wrist curls - upped the resistance by 5 lbs
Reverse EZ curls - was able to use an EZ curl bar on this. Not a big increase in resistance because it aggravates the pain in my hands.

20 minutes on the treadmill at a pretty good clip

Weight 183

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2020, 11:13:31 PM »
trained Hams, glutes and Calves

3x10 with 30 second rest between sets with the exception of the reverse hack squats when I gave myself a 90 second rest between sets:

lying leg curls - did the first set on the kneeling leg curl machine and finished off the next two on the lying leg curl because the folks using it were done.
Seated leg curls - I expected to push more weight than I did. My hams are slow to respond, strength wise.
Seated hip abduction and adductions
Glute machine - kick backs while kneeling
Reverse hack squats - Current using 200 lbs. it isn't much but it is double what a started with a couple of weeks ago.
Standing calf raises - these are also slow to develop strength
Leg press calf raises - used a weight loaded machine that I hadn't tried before. I got a great stretch.
seated calf raises - used 100 lbs. and didn't reach failure

increased the resistance 10 - 40 lbs. (reverse hack squat)

10 minutes cardio on stationary bike - pulse up to 98

Weight 182

25 minutes recumbent bike

Because of other commitments, I worked out in the evening yesterday and today. Luckily, the gym wasn't so crowded that I had to wait much to use equipment.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2020, 06:47:22 PM »
Took a nap yesterday instead of going to the gym. Must of needed extra sleep because even with a nap, I slept 10 hours last night.

Trained back today at a different gym

Iso lateral lat pulldowns
Iso lateral bench rows
Iso lateral low rows
Iso lateral front pulldowns
Low cable rows

All the Iso lateral machines are plate loaded.

Play around with different levels of resistance because of the difference in how the equipment works.

22 minutes on the recumbent bicycles

Weight 182

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2020, 07:14:55 PM »
Took a nap yesterday instead of going to the gym. Must of needed extra sleep because even with a nap, I slept 10 hours last night.

Trained back today at a different gym

Iso lateral lat pulldowns
Iso lateral bench rows
Iso lateral low rows
Iso lateral front pulldowns
Low cable rows

All the Iso lateral machines are plate loaded.

Play around with different levels of resistance because of the difference in how the equipment works.

22 minutes on the recumbent bicycles

Weight 182

Reading about your bike training for cardio at the end has me thinking. The weather is warming up on the east coast. Thinking about using some biking. I like outdoor biking and I don't do enough of it. I own a mountain, Hybrid and even an outdoor recumbent bike I haven't used in many years. After I got the hybrid I finally got an upright bike that I felt comfortable riding. Sitting upright and catching wind like a sail but I ride by myself on trails. It's all about effort and not the MPH with me. My days of riding road bikes with 120lbs pressure tires are over. Never enjoyed the extreme positions of racing bikes. I ride a slug speed with my fat tire hybrid on the trail but I get a great workout. My bike looks similar to the picture. I'm not winning any races on that thing but wow is it a comfortable bike for road, trail and light mountain type trails. Has a 9 speed internal hub in the rear tire for shifting. I can shift standing still. The front fork and seat have a suspension. The handle bar has a quick release adjustment for up, down and front to back. The pedals are designed for walking shoes. No clipping in.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2020, 12:40:50 AM »
Looks like a great bike. Upright is the way to go and it saves your back and neck. One thing to consider is at least using foot pedal straps that way you get the benefit of pushing the pedals and pulling them. Like pushing and pulling when using weights. Also, if you haven't ridden in awhile, I recommend you look into a comfortable seat. Even with a good suspension system, those narrow seats will kill your ass at first.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2020, 06:55:27 PM »
 I have a big seat like the picture shows. No more razor thin racing seats for me.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2020, 09:42:36 PM »
Today I worked delts, traps and abs.

3 X 10 reps with a 30 second rest between sets:

Not sure how much I increased the resistance because I changed out some of the equipment and guessed what would work. If I started a set and it seemed too light, I upped the weight

Overhead presses
Seated lateral raises (on this machine, you sit with your chest against the pad instead of your back. -Not sure what difference it makes).
Bent lateral raises (I used the same pec/delt machine but changed my grip from palms facing down to palms facing each other).
Shrugs (I did these using a cable with a straight bar and a shoulder with grip).
Skipped the upright rows. -No reason other than I forgot to do them and didn't realize it until just now.
Nautilus ab machine, currently using 105 lbs resistance
Nautilus low back machine, using 105 lbs resistance

10 minutes cardio on rowing and 10 minutes on the treadmill (same as last week).

Weight 182

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2020, 06:10:04 AM »
Excellent.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2020, 06:08:30 PM »
Trained pecs

Don't really know if I increased the weight because I started a new page in my log. I suspect that if I did, it wasn't much. For some reason my pecs are slow to respond to exercise. Actually my arms get tired before my pecs get a decent workout.

Seated bench press (this one was fairly easy)
Seated incline bench press (had to lower the weight each set because I was having trouble getting to 10 reps).
Seated decline bench press (same as above....it's a bit discouraging).
Dips (I'm strong on dips, so this went well).
Machine pec flys (I keep it light enough to focus on getting a full stretch).
Pullover on Nautilus (someone posted that they didn't see the point of pullovers. I like them for chest expansion and stretch. Doing them on a machine works great).

10 minutes cardio on the treadmil (fast walk) - pulse up to 110

Weight 182

22 minutes on the treadmill. Finished my workout in :45 minutes including cardio. Saturday's the gym isn't at all crowded.