Author Topic: Selling a late model car on the internet. Time is right  (Read 652 times)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Selling a late model car on the internet. Time is right
« on: June 10, 2021, 08:55:29 PM »
This chip issue has reduced the Dealers new inventory to a point they are reaching out, paying top dollar for late model desired cars. I have been planning our next move when our lease runs out next May and we're looking at 3-6 months in Costa Rica, Puerta Vallarta, Italy or Barcelona or a combination. We are a two car family and I researched storage for vehicles. It seemed like in the Tampa area $350 a month was about average. Wife has the BMW X5 and I have a 2018 Dodge Challenger 392 T/A . So reluctantly I made the decision to sell mine, as it is for he most part a two seater.
I was planning on waiting until next year but my son who is in the car business told me now is the time. I paid $37K  for a fully loaded 2018 that was a managers car with 2700 miles on it. Sticker was $54,This was December 2017. I have since put 17K miles on it. Vroom offered me $43800 for it. $6800 more than I paid.. So I took the offer. In the meantime, I bought a good used vehicle to get me through the next year. If you are considering selling a late model vehicle.. I highly recommend running the numbers through Vroom. They beat every other company including Carmax, Kelly, and Carvana by a significant amount.   

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
Re: Selling a late model car on the internet. Time is right
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 11:05:53 PM »
fine but then you'll just end up paying the premium you get on the next used or new car you buy..

Its not like you're going to gain anything here

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 12:50:39 AM »
fine but then you'll just end up paying the premium you get on the next used or new car you buy..

Its not like you're going to gain anything here

I think you missed the point. This is an anomaly. Yes, if I were to purchase a late model car in the next 3-6 months the gains would be diminished by the cost of the car. However, I have no need to purchase a new or late model car so I can ride out the bubble to where prices go back to normal. In fact, I purchased a 2009 model at a great deal so in a year I can sell that and break even.   

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: Selling a late model car on the internet. Time is r
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 03:59:43 AM »
I agree with you; Vroom is a good option. I had an extra vehicle taking up space in my garage (1100 miles on it) and they offered the best price for it.  Vroom sent someone to my house to retrieve it and the transaction was relatively seamless. Even after I sold it I still had some of the other companies calling me back to raise their offer on the car.  I told them they were too late. Vroom’s first offer was better than the second or third offer from the other companies.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 05:51:11 AM »
Just get a cheap reliable ride 5k max
A

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2021, 09:07:38 PM »
Just get a cheap reliable ride 5k max

exactly what I did. I picked up a 2009 Cadillac SRX from a guy who didn't need it. He had paper work showing $3600 in a new transmission from last year with a transferable 3 year warranty, new tires etc. 5K . It has a few issues that will cost about $400 to resolve like TPM's in 2 tires and the dreaded GM issue of intermittent sounds being muted from the radio, door chimes and blinkers which will likely be the Bose amp needing replacement ($240 amazon) but it drives like new and fits my needs at the moment.