Author Topic: Carl Nassib becomes first active NFL player to come out as gay  (Read 3134 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Carl Nassib becomes first active NFL player to come out as gay
Before Carl Nassib, Michael Sam was the NFL’s first openly gay draft pick. He never played a regular season game.
By Nicki Jhabvala

Las Vegas Raiders defensive end Carl Nassib announced Monday on Instagram that he is gay, making him the first active NFL player to come out.

“What’s up, people? I’m Carl Nassib. I’m at my house here in West Chester, Pennsylvania. I just wanted to take a quick moment to say that I’m gay,” Nassib said in a video message. “I’ve been meaning to do this for a while now, but I finally feel comfortable enough to get it off my chest.

“I really have the best life. I got the best family, friends and job a guy can ask for. I’m a pretty private person, so I hope you guys know that I’m really not doing this for attention. I just think that representation and visibility are so important.”

Nassib, 28, added he hopes the “coming-out process” is no longer necessary in the future and he will donate $100,000 to the Trevor Project, a nonprofit that aims to prevent suicide among LGBTQ youths.

In a written message that followed the video, Nassib said he “agonized over this moment for the last 15 years” and only recently decided to make a public announcement, thanks to the support of family and friends.

Nassib also thanked the NFL, his coaches and fellow players, some of whom commented on his announcement online. New York Giants running back Saquon Barkley, who played with Nassib at Penn State, tweeted, “Much respect brudda.” Recently retired wide receiver Julian Edelman tweeted that it was an “awesome moment,” and former Washington cornerback DeAngelo Hall said he’s “extremely proud of Carl.”

“I don’t know Carl,” Hall said while on NFL Network, “but for him to unveil himself to the world the way he did, I mean, it takes courage. It takes so much strength.”

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell released a statement in support of Nassib “for courageously sharing his truth” and said that the league shares his hope that “someday soon statements like his will no longer be newsworthy as we march toward full equality for the LGBTQ+ community.”

The president and CEO of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD), Sarah Kate Ellis, also spoke out in support with a statement that declared Nassib’s coming out a “historic reflection of the growing state of LGBTQ visibility and inclusion in the world of professional sports.”

“As an accomplished athlete who is now the first out gay active player in the NFL,” Ellis said, “Carl Nassib’s story will not only have a profound impact on the future of LGBTQ visibility and acceptance in sports, but sends a strong message to so many LGBTQ people, especially youth, that they too can one day grow up to be and succeed as a professional athlete like him.”

Nassib indicated he would decline additional interviews and asked that reporters not take offense but rather afford him some privacy. The line spoke volumes to Wade Davis, a former NFL cornerback who came out publicly in 2012, nearly nine years after he retired.

“What I really appreciated about it was it felt like Carl was saying, ‘I’m an NFL football player who is gay,’ ” Davis told The Washington Post. “He was not saying, ‘I am a gay NFL player,’ which is a very different thing. And his note, ‘If you reach out for interviews and I don’t get back to you,’ also spoke to his level of comfortability in what he was doing.”

Davis said he believes Nassib’s announcement felt like a continuation of a broader discussion among professional athletes that extends to social justice, race, gender and sexual orientation. The conversations are connected, he says, but Nassib’s revelation is still a seminal moment.

“It is still somewhat novel to have a player, specifically a male in the big five sports, to come out,” said Davis, who was the NFL’s first LGBT inclusion consultant in 2012. “But for me, I think the level of sophistication that players will be able to talk about this will be the indicator about how far we’ve come. And not just players, but also coaches. ... All of us have a responsibility to be better to push the conversation in a more holistic way.”

The 6-foot-7 Nassib won the 2015 Lombardi Award, given to the nation’s best college lineman or linebacker, during his lone season as a starter at Penn State.

The Cleveland Browns selected him in the third round of the 2016 draft and, after two seasons in Cleveland, he was claimed by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, with whom he played another two seasons and totaled 12.5 sacks. Nassib signed a three-year deal with the Raiders in March 2020 and last year started five of the 14 games he played.

While Nassib would become the first openly gay player to play in an NFL game, he is not the first high-level football player or active professional athlete to come out.

In 2013, Major League Soccer player Robbie Rogers revealed he is gay, and later that year NBA center Jason Collins did as well. Collins, a former first-round pick, became the first active player in one of the four major American professional sports to come out, doing so in a cover story for Sports Illustrated. Collins became a free agent months later and waited a full season before getting another contract, with the Brooklyn Nets. He retired in 2014.

Also in 2014 — and shortly before he was drafted by the St. Louis Rams — Missouri defensive end Michael Sam publicly announced he is gay. Sam did not play an NFL snap — he was cut by the Rams before the start of his rookie season and was on the Dallas Cowboys’ practice squad for a month — but he became the first openly gay player in the Canadian Football League, with the Montreal Alouettes in 2015.

Sam announced in June of that year that he was stepping away from professional football for mental health reasons.

“Here’s the truth: Everyone owes Michael Sam such a bit of gratitude,” Davis said. “Michael Sam did something that very few people do. They gave up something, which is potentially his entire career in the NFL, for something greater. Very few of us are willing to do that, and it’s why I hope that people, when they tell the story of Carl — which, he deserves his own singular story — but when you think about the ‘Carl and’ story, Michael Sam’s name should be mentioned first.”

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
Re: Carl Nassib becomes first active NFL player to come out as gay
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 04:08:09 AM »
'He said, "I hope you guys know that I’m really not doing this for attention."'

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 04:10:58 AM »
I'm so glad he let us know.  I can sleep better at night now.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 04:14:48 AM »
Bay, I wholeheartedly, disagree.

Why do gay people, have to announce that they are gay? I get announcing it to the inner circle of family members, but publicly?

It's just an attention grab. Besides, just take a look at professional sports and Hollywood.....

They have so many leading men queers, that it would shut down the industry worse than Covid.

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 04:19:49 AM »

Why do gay people, have to announce that they are gay? I get announcing it to the inner circle of family members, but publicly?

It's just an attention grab. Besides, just take a look at professional sports and Hollywood.....

They have so many leading men queers, that it would shut down the industry worse than Covid.

I know of a couple semi famous homos who outed themselves because others were trying to blackmail them.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 04:22:45 AM »
I know of a couple semi famous homos who outed themselves because others were trying to blackmail them.
Sounds like a new species Darwin would appreciate. What the hell is a semi-famous homo?

Body-Buildah

• Getbig V
  • Creepy Joe Touches Kids
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 04:24:00 AM »
Very important news we are told.  ::)

The history of former players coming out
Lindsay Jones, senior NFL writer: Nassib's announcement is historic because he is now the first out active NFL player who is expected to be on an active roster.

How important is this for the NFL?
Jones: This is a long-anticipated day in the NF
L; not for Nassib's announcement, specifically, but for the day an active player would feel comfortable enough to come out publicly.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 04:27:34 AM »

He is not very good and probably thinks he is getting cut.  This coming out will either protect him from being cut (for the backlash) or will give him an excuse and maybe open up other financial avenues for him as a victim of homophobia. ::)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 04:39:22 AM »

What exactly are you disagreeing with?  I find it hard to believe that you are too dim to understand the significance of representation.  The first woman to do X (like sit on the supreme court).  The first black person to do X (like enroll in a segregated school).  The first Jewish person to do X (I didn't know s/he was Jewish).  How about the first man on the moon?  Does that resonate with you? 

If you really need someone to explain the significance of an excluded minority being the first to do X, Y, or Z then your education has failed you.  Models matter—particularly for young people who never imagined X was possible.  First models also matter for older people who may have their minds opened and attitudes adjusted. “I didn’t now an X person could do Y.”  It may sound simple but history has show that there are a lot of ignorant people out there.  If you are not interested, fine.  Move on.  Many people are interested and find such announcements newsworthy, inspiring, and (looking back) life changing.

It was just a few years ago that George Bush, in a presidential debate with candidate John Kerry, claimed that he had never met a gay person—even though his Vice Presidential running mate Dick Cheney, had an openly lesbian daughter.  So, yes, public representation matters... in high profile venues like sports.  See Jackie Robinson.  ::)

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 05:16:57 AM »
About 4 or 5 years ago, there was a defensive player on the Rams that made the same public announcement. I don’t know if it effected his career or not.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 06:05:58 AM »
What exactly are you disagreeing with?  I find it hard to believe that you are too dim to understand the significance of representation.  The first woman to do X (like sit on the supreme court).  The first black person to do X (like enroll in a segregated school).  The first Jewish person to do X (I didn't know s/he was Jewish).  How about the first man on the moon?  Does that resonate with you? 

If you really need someone to explain the significance of an excluded minority being the first to do X, Y, or Z then your education has failed you.  Models matter—particularly for young people who never imagined X was possible.  First models also matter for older people who may have their minds opened and attitudes adjusted. “I didn’t now an X person could do Y.”  It may sound simple but history has show that there are a lot of ignorant people out there.  If you are not interested, fine.  Move on.  Many people are interested and find such announcements newsworthy, inspiring, and (looking back) life changing.

It was just a few years ago that George Bush, in a presidential debate with candidate John Kerry, claimed that he had never met a gay person—even though his Vice Presidential running mate Dick Cheney, had an openly lesbian daughter.  So, yes, public representation matters... in high profile venues like sports.  See Jackie Robinson.  ::)
Meltdown. Nobody gives a shit what people do behind closed doors.

There was no reason that guy had to announce that to the world.

Me no likey.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 06:07:54 AM »

:)

Yup.   Attention Whoring hoping probably for other gays to connect with in the NFL.   

No one gives a F.   

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2021, 06:17:16 AM »
:)

Yup.   Attention Whoring hoping probably for other gays to connect with in the NFL.   

No one gives a F.

Perhaps he felt that he would get major sponsors to throw money at him to endorse their products.

Look at Colin Kaepernick.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2021, 06:21:00 AM »
Perhaps he felt that he would get major sponsors to throw money at him to endorse their products.

Look at Colin Kaepernick.
True. It's popular to be gay, non-binary, it, him, cow these days.

I'm not religious at all, but Sodom and Gomorrah is long overdue.

webstar

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2021, 06:34:38 AM »
Hopefully, he is cut shortly.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2021, 06:47:21 AM »
I think gays, like Bay, think they have won a small victory with announcements like this.

Normal-minded people do not care if someone is gay.

What I find hilarious, is that Hollywood would fold, if all of the gay leading men chose to come out. Not just Hollywood, but sports as well.

Tom Cruise, Tom Brady, Hugh Jackman, The Rock, Henry Cavill...etc...

It goes on and on. Fake beard wives and girlfriends (it's an actual industry) sprinkle in a few kids......anything to keep the greased-wheel moving.  People believe that finding out that aliens exist, will send the world into a panic, imagine knowing that half of your "macho" movie stars and athletes, are really penis puffers.....

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2021, 06:55:01 AM »
Except for the few stars, NFL players are anonymous.

I never heard of this gay before.

His brother Ryan played backup qb on the NYG.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2021, 07:01:07 AM »
Except for the few stars, NFL players are anonymous.

I never heard of this gay before.

His brother Ryan played backup qb on the NYG.
That's the point. Let Aaron Rodgers finally come out....

It's nobodies that want attention, not somebody's willing to risk everything.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2021, 08:15:20 AM »
Zzzzzzzzzzzzz
a

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2021, 08:40:55 AM »
Some gays are mad because he's Republican -

https://www.datalounge.com/thread/28768750-carl-nassib-is-a-registered-republican .

Yeah because he realizes they want to rob him of $$$  to fund welfare and bs causes.   

Body-Buildah

• Getbig V
  • Creepy Joe Touches Kids
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2021, 09:02:43 AM »
Only in Libturd America:

1. Being a law-abiding, normal (non-colored) citizen = BAD.
2. Being a tranny, gay, LMNOP, or Rioting BLM = HERO.

Clown world  ::)

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2021, 10:16:33 AM »
It will be real news when the first woman plays in the NFL or NBA or when a Transwoman makes it in the WNBA.

Why do we limit sexual orientation to gay, straight or bi?

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2021, 10:21:21 AM »
He is not very good and probably thinks he is getting cut.  This coming out will either protect him from being cut (for the backlash) or will give him an excuse and maybe open up other financial avenues for him as a victim of homophobia. ::)

+1

He was going to be a Training Camp cut anyway.

bigkid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2021, 10:30:30 AM »
Some gays are mad because he's Republican -

https://www.datalounge.com/thread/28768750-carl-nassib-is-a-registered-republican .
In 2021, it much more dangerous to come out as a Republican than Gay.