Author Topic: The Promise of AI, More Important than Fire, or Electricity  (Read 885 times)

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
Amusing segment by John Stewart on AI.  Google CEO says it will be more important than electricity.  How important do you think the impact of AI will be?

At 5:40 Zuckerberg uses it to make toast.

Flexacon

• Getbig V
Re: The Promise of AI, More Important than Fire, or Electricity
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 12:50:14 PM »
Ai is just hype words really. Machine learning is a better description and yeah it's gonna be huge. Not quite internet huge, but not far off.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 01:05:00 PM »
Ai is just hype words really. Machine learning is a better description and yeah it's gonna be huge. Not quite internet huge, but not far off.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2024, 01:43:27 PM »

Machine learning is a subset of AI. 

I agree with you on the internet being huge. 

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2024, 01:52:39 PM »
Machine learning is a subset of AI. 

I agree with you on the internet being huge.

Machine learning is where the real "AI" growth will happen is more what I meant .

Generally though it would be best to stop using the term AI. The whole machines exhibiting any type of human level of intelligence isn't really a thing and won't be a thing for a long time.

a_pupil

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2024, 02:16:47 PM »
The machine learning stuff makes a lot of grinding forms of IT jobs obsolete. As 100 of those people can be replaced by 10 people overseeing AI.

The same applies for other industries.

Will be great for businesses but the job market is going to change drastically.

It'll be interesting and depressing for a lot of people to see how things go over the next 10 years.

It seems like the best fields for young people to go into nowadays if they want to be wagies is the old fashioned trades. Plumbing etc.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2024, 02:22:38 PM »
without Electricity AI doesnt even exist.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2024, 02:39:56 PM »
Machine learning is where the real "AI" growth will happen is more what I meant .

Generally though it would be best to stop using the term AI. The whole machines exhibiting any type of human level of intelligence isn't really a thing and won't be a thing for a long time.

You really aren't paying close attention to what's going on.  This is moving so quickly right now that human levels of intelligence could be achieve in a few years.  more importantly, what happens when it gets to 2X human intelligence, or 3x human intelligence, or 50X human intelligence.  All of the big tech companies have their foot on the gas for AI and their are no plans to stop it ever.  Is there hype? yes, but there's reason for the hype and they all know it.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2024, 02:45:39 PM »
We wouldn’t have AI without electricity, so electricity wins.

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2024, 02:54:19 PM »
You really aren't paying close attention to what's going on.  This is moving so quickly right now that human levels of intelligence could be achieve in a few years.  more importantly, what happens when it gets to 2X human intelligence, or 3x human intelligence, or 50X human intelligence.  All of the big tech companies have their foot on the gas for AI and their are no plans to stop it ever.  Is there hype? yes, but there's reason for the hype and they all know it.

Yeah I'm not paying attention with what's going on. Meanwhile I bought all my "AI" stocks and exposure to the sector several months before Sam Altman made everyone horny with his comments and I am up several 100 percentages.

No bro, I just separated the hype aspects of the sector from the reality, and the reality is the work around machines achieving human levels of intelligence has been a huge failure, and possibly even a grift. But the more people who want to believe this the better as the hype will keep pumping my holdings, so I won't try convince you otherwise.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2024, 02:55:29 PM »
Yeah I'm not paying attention with what's going on. Meanwhile I bought all my "AI" stocks and exposure to the sector several months before Sam Altman made everyone horny and I am up several 100 percentages.

No bro, I just separated the hype aspects of the sector from the reality, and the reality is the work around machines achieving human levels of intelligence has been a huge failure, and possibly even a grift. But the more people who want to believe this the better as the hype will keep pumping my holdings, so I won't try convince you otherwise.

How many monitors do you have?

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2024, 02:59:51 PM »
How many monitors do you have?

1 LCD screen, 1 tablet screen, 1 mobile device for alerts. Sometimes another laptop in sleep mode ready to go in case my main device crashes.

Generally found anyone working with more than 2 screens has some kinda mental health issues.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2024, 03:00:47 PM »
1 LCD display, 1 tablet screen, 1 mobile device for alerts. Sometimes another laptop in sleep mode ready to go in case main main device crashes.

Generally found anyone working with more than 2 screens has some kinda mental health issues.

;D

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2024, 03:02:15 PM »
The machine learning stuff makes a lot of grinding forms of IT jobs obsolete. As 100 of those people can be replaced by 10 people overseeing AI.

It'll be interesting and depressing for a lot of people to see how things go over the next 10 years.

It seems like the best fields for young people to go into nowadays if they want to be wagies is the old fashioned trades. Plumbing etc.

They should’ve hyped the trades years ago

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2024, 03:14:10 PM »

Also, I think that some people confuse the concept of artificial intelligence with sentience/self-awareness too

We wouldn’t have AI without electricity, so electricity wins.

True - but then again, we wouldn't have electricity without coal and oil, so maybe dinosaurs win  ;D
T

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2024, 03:14:54 PM »
Yeah I'm not paying attention with what's going on. Meanwhile I bought all my "AI" stocks and exposure to the sector several months before Sam Altman made everyone horny with his comments and I am up several 100 percentages.

How so?  People are seeing how intelligent AI is getting and panic is setting in.  There is very real fear that potentially millions of jobs could be replaced by AI.  Which is exactly the thing John Stewart is making fun of in the video. 

I get the fear, but I'm much more hopeful of the opportunities and benefits.

The Tesla FSD videos coming out are shocking to me.  What's even more shocking is they've only been using machine learning for FSD for less than a year.

All big tech companies around the world are laser focused on AI. 

irishdave

• Getbig V
  • It ain’t over ‘TIL it’s over
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2024, 03:17:26 PM »

AI will never be able to trick smart people but smart people are in the minority so it’s fantastic that we will be able to wipe out libs (even though AI has a liberal bias, which will be its Achilles tendon)

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2024, 03:25:54 PM »
How so?  People are seeing how intelligent AI is getting and panic is setting in.  There is very real fear that potentially millions of jobs could be replaced by AI.  Which is exactly the thing John Stewart is making fun of in the video. 

I get the fear, but I'm much more hopeful of the opportunities and benefits.

The Tesla FSD videos coming out are shocking to me.  What's even more shocking is they've only been using machine learning for FSD for less than a year.

All big tech companies around the world are laser focused on AI. 

It will be machine learning algos that help replace those jobs.

"AI" is only as intelligent as the set of algos a programmer can write or feed it. The whole self learning, self awareness, human intelligence type stuff some people associate with AI is still a lot closer to science fiction than science fact.

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2024, 04:00:37 PM »

"AI" is only as intelligent as the set of algos a programmer can write or feed it. The whole self learning, self awareness, human intelligence type stuff some people associate with AI is still a lot closer to science fiction than science fact.

I think I'm pretty much aligned with your take on this - I've used it to write small bits of code myself and used it as a researcher

But I wonder what will happen once we remove that human input part - the safety catch, so to speak - and close the loop by asking them to code their replacements...

T

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2024, 04:30:26 PM »
True - but then again, we wouldn't have electricity without coal and oil, so maybe dinosaurs win  ;D

Sandrock

• Getbig III
  • Born with a mustache in a Supernova
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2024, 04:34:56 PM »
I think I'm pretty much aligned with your take on this - I've used it to write small bits of code myself and used it as a researcher

What kind of research?

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2024, 05:04:25 PM »

One of the key differences between machine learning and regular computer program is machine learning requires far less human programming.  For example, Windows 11 contains about 50 million lines of code, which are all written by humans.  Machine learning requires less than a thousand lines of human code.  the key output is the matrix of numbers that are created during the learning process.  At it's core, machine learning is based on linear algebra, specifically, matrix multiplication.  It's just math, but math that computers excel at.  In particular, GPU's are very fast at this kind of math because all graphics just calculating polygons using linear algebra.

The output of machine learning is a large matrix of numbers.

Equally important is the hardware to run the machine learning model on is low cost and simple.  Tesla FSD runs on a computer that's basically two Samsung galaxy chips and half a gig of memory.  The file containing the matrix is only about 500 megs, it's easy to send over the air updates and every Tesla has the required hardware.

The hardware that does the training is basically thousands of GPU's for gaming.  That part of it is expensive and power consuming, but once the training is done, it can be sent out to everyone.

Equally important, the computing power needed to run the

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2024, 06:06:59 PM »

The hardware that does the training is basically thousands of GPU's for gaming.  That part of it is expensive and power consuming, but once the training is done, it can be sent out to everyone.

I tried to touch on this in another thread with someone today.

There are maybe a dozen proof of work projects that have or are setting up the nodes to do this.

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2024, 06:41:24 PM »

Like most stuff the hype is well ahead of the end consumer application.

I’ve seen it work brilliantly for project management.

I’m still waiting for it to catch up in my field as it’s a pain to feed it datasets and then it’s limited.

The future skill set will be knowing what questions to ask AI. You can’t just rock up and have it do everything, you need to sift through the BS answers it gives you and know specific wording to get to the correct answers. This is something I am personally going to pursue because while I build my models, my skill is knowing what to look for. Once AI can understand the dataset I can ask the questions which will make me 10x quicker than I am at work today. The productivity gains are enormous in my field.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2024, 07:34:34 PM »

People were worried about the invention of the cotton gin too. New industry will emerge.