Author Topic: Facts, Science smash the Global Warming Myth  (Read 13536 times)

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
Re: Facts, Science smash the Global Warming Myth
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2007, 08:20:10 PM »
i dont believe in global warming,, i believe in politics.. i just know there shit in the air and it shouldnt be.. they're trying to scare us into thinking well all die soon unless we vote for al gore cuz he'll clean up the whole world -but hell stil be flying in his jets and wasting energy on his mansions

Take Al Gore out of the equation, do you still not believe in Global Warming? I'm openly critical of Gore on this issue but I still believe in the main issue.

Gore is a blowhard but Global Warming isn't just political spin.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2007, 08:24:49 PM »
Uh, okay then.  You'll have no problem pointing out other times in history when entire industries were wiped out overnight based on a scientific theory.  But don't worry, no one will 'notice or care' when the fossil fuel derived energy source is turned off.  How much of an impact can having no energy have on our lives, anyway?

dude, no industry is going to be "wiped out" by "scientific theory".  

People are going to keep burning oil (of all kinds) for as long as there are people and oil

the point is to consider the effects as best we can and consider all alternatives/improvements whenever possible

I'd be all for growing fields of hemp or some other kind thing that we could burn in replace of fossil fuels but I don't think that would really help the main issue

obsolete industries?

How about the horse drawn carriage industry?

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2007, 08:28:29 PM »
Take Al Gore out of the equation, do you still not believe in Global Warming? I'm openly critical of Gore on this issue but I still believe in the main issue.

Gore is a blowhard but Global Warming isn't just political spin.

i dont care about 'global warming' at this point, because its become a political term. i believe in pollution, and it needs to be stoped, i dont think the earth will stop revolving any time soon -like they want us tobelieve, but we need to develope alternative sources

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
  • Different Dunes, Same Sand
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2007, 08:31:25 PM »
dude, no industry is going to be "wiped out" by "scientific theory".  

People are going to keep burning oil (of all kinds) for as long as there are people and oil

the point is to consider the effects as best we can and consider all alternatives/improvements whenever possible

I'd be all for growing fields of hemp or some other kind thing that we could burn in replace of fossil fuels but I don't think that would really help the main issue

obsolete industries?

How about the horse drawn carriage industry?

You can't tell the difference between an industry becoming obsolete due to technological advancement and industry being shut down because of doomsday predictions?  Okay then.

Everything you said before that I agree with.
Thread Killer

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2007, 08:39:23 PM »
You can't tell the difference between an industry becoming obsolete due to technological advancement and industry being shut down because of doomsday predictions?  Okay then.

Everything you said before that I agree with.

I can see that

can you explain to me or even give me one example of an industry being shut down by doomsday predictions

seriously - what do you think would happen if Bush went on TV tomorrow and "shut down" the global oil industry

of course the answer is absolutely fucking nothing

he can't do it nor can anyone

given that, why would anyone not look at the generally accepted cause and effect and vigorously work toward alternatives?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2007, 08:43:03 PM »
RUSH: What you're saying is it's a natural thing that helps keep the Earth's temperatures moderate?

DR. SPENCER: Yeah, that's right. That's right. All the scientists agree with that.

Um, has there EVER been a topic where ALL the scientists agree, in scientific history?

This guest just spoke for ALL SCIENTISTS.

Is this guest credible?

Rush's guest spoke for every scientist on Earth.

I'm not so sure a good scientist would make such giant assumptions.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2007, 08:45:08 PM »
let's just put the global warming/climate change issue aside

I'm sure we can all agree that our global economy is dependent on a resource which we know is finite, will become more scarce and therefore expensive

YES or NO?

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2007, 08:45:20 PM »
I can see that

can you explain to me or even give me one example of an industry being shut down by doomsay predictions

seriously - what do you think would happen if Bush went on TV tomorrow and "shut down" the global oil industry

of course the answer is absolutely fucking nothing

he can't do it nor can anyone

given that, why would anyone not look at the generally accepted cause and effect and vigorously work toward alternatives?

No, and I don't want any industry closed down.  Try and keep up with my posts.

You can go ahead and try and develop 'alternatives', but if the predictions are correct (and I think they're not even close) then I'll already be living under water by the time you solve this one.

Therefore, the only option is to eradicate burning fossil fuels.
Thread Killer

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2007, 08:48:33 PM »
i dont care about 'global warming' at this point, because its become a political term. i believe in pollution, and it needs to be stoped, i dont think the earth will stop revolving any time soon -like they want us tobelieve, but we need to develope alternative sources

No offense but I hope not everyone thinks about this issue the way you do. No one wants us to believe the earth will stop revolving, they want us to believe that change is needed and a good thing.

Small changes can make a big difference if many people participate.

I'm a firm believer that we need an alternative source of energy not so much because fossil fuels are running out but because of what I believe are their negative effects on the environment and because we're too dependent on too few people for those fossil fuels. .

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2007, 08:50:22 PM »
No, and I don't want any industry closed down.  Try and keep up with my posts.

You can go ahead and try and develop 'alternatives', but if the predictions are correct (and I think they're not even close) then I'll already be living under water by the time you solve this one.

Therefore, the only option is to eradicate burning fossil fuels.

wtf?

What is your position exactly?

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2007, 08:51:16 PM »
Thread Killer

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2007, 08:53:09 PM »

that tells me nothing

can you dumb it down a bit?

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2007, 08:53:55 PM »
that tells me nothing

can you dumb it down a bit?

Okay, which part is unclear?
Thread Killer

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2007, 08:55:21 PM »
wtf?

What is your position exactly?

He is very bad at telling you his position.

he'll tell you to go back and re-read four pages of debates, instead of summarizing it into 1-2 sentences.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2007, 08:56:16 PM »
Okay, which part is unclear?

the part where I asked you what exactly is your position?

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2007, 09:03:17 PM »
the part where I asked you what exactly is your position?

Since I don't feel like typing hundreds of words, can you be a little more specific?

He is very bad at telling you his position.

he'll tell you to go back and re-read four pages of debates, instead of summarizing it into 1-2 sentences.

Hi, 240.  Cooled your reactor yet?
Thread Killer

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2007, 09:05:14 PM »
Unfortunately, if you believe in global warming, you can't have it both ways.  To stop this apparent doomsday, you'll have to give up your car and your gas belching ways.  That is, unless, you don't actually believe the world is ending.

I disagree... how about that "Fuel Cell"?

It does work and won't require us all "becoming cavemen".

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2007, 09:05:37 PM »

you're funny.  you dont like to take positions.  you criticize others' positions.  but when you are asked outright to explain your stance, you won't do that.

Politicians do that.  And people don't trust them because they lack conviction.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2007, 09:06:03 PM »
Since I don't feel like typing hundreds of words, can you be a little more specific?

like I said before.  

Assume I'm stupid and dumb it down a bit

You should be able to summarize your position in a few sentences or a paragraph

tell me what you believe

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2007, 09:19:47 PM »
you're funny.  you dont like to take positions.  you criticize others' positions.  but when you are asked outright to explain your stance, you won't do that.

Politicians do that.  And people don't trust them because they lack conviction.

Uh huh, give me a topic I haven't made my position crystal clear on.

like I said before.  

Assume I'm stupid and dumb it down a bit

You should be able to summarize your position in a few sentences or a paragraph

tell me what you believe

I don't think you're stupid, so if I haven't spoken to you like you are yet then that is the reason.

My global warming position is that whilst I agree the scientific consensus (which by no means is an accurate one) is that the earth is warming due to human intervention in atmospheric gases.  I understand the World's mean temperature has risen around .7 of a degree (Celsius) in the last century; however it has not risen since 1998, which seems to contradict the trend.

I am a sceptic of global warming, but I don't rule it out entirely as a possibility, however I have strong doubts our planet is heating to hell.  I do not fear rising sea levels, nor do I believe my backyard will soon be replaced by a desert.  I consider reports from both sides of the scientific debate, and I note a large array of global warming doomsayers far overestimating effects that are far outside the realms of possibility.

I do not think you should stop driving your car or watching your TV.  I am against the ratification of Kyoto, which has not worked for Europe, as we see their carbon emissions falling nowhere within the given targets.  In fact, the US has done more than the nations that have ratified it in decreasing the carbon it pumps into the atmosphere.

Men like Al Gore are hypocrites of the worst kind - he wants to make an entire class live below their means so that he may continue his outrageously lavish carbon-emitting lifestyle.  All of this, when he is seemingly convinced the world will end shortly if we do nothing.  Add to this his hysterical inaccuracy and you pretty much have your stereotypical global warming prophet.  Green is a religion; make no mistakes, except that its believers are far less likely to live by their holy document (an Inconvenient Truth) than your average Christian.

I hope this clears my position up for you, please let me know if you have any ambiguity.  Thank you.
Thread Killer

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2007, 09:39:49 PM »
Uh huh, give me a topic I haven't made my position crystal clear on.

I don't think you're stupid, so if I haven't spoken to you like you are yet then that is the reason.

My global warming position is that whilst I agree the scientific consensus (which by no means is an accurate one) is that the earth is warming due to human intervention in atmospheric gases.  I understand the World's mean temperature has risen around .7 of a degree (Celsius) in the last century; however it has not risen since 1998, which seems to contradict the trend.

I am a sceptic of global warming, but I don't rule it out entirely as a possibility, however I have strong doubts our planet is heating to hell.  I do not fear rising sea levels, nor do I believe my backyard will soon be replaced by a desert.  I consider reports from both sides of the scientific debate, and I note a large array of global warming doomsayers far overestimating effects that are far outside the realms of possibility.

I do not think you should stop driving your car or watching your TV.  I am against the ratification of Kyoto, which has not worked for Europe, as we see their carbon emissions falling nowhere within the given targets.  In fact, the US has done more than the nations that have ratified it in decreasing the carbon it pumps into the atmosphere.

Men like Al Gore are hypocrites of the worst kind - he wants to make an entire class live below their means so that he may continue his outrageously lavish carbon-emitting lifestyle.  All of this, when he is seemingly convinced the world will end shortly if we do nothing.  Add to this his hysterical inaccuracy and you pretty much have your stereotypical global warming prophet.  Green is a religion; make no mistakes, except that its believers are far less likely to live by their holy document (an Inconvenient Truth) than your average Christian.

I hope this clears my position up for you, please let me know if you have any ambiguity.  Thank you.

I think you and I are in agreement on most things but I discount Al Gore to zero so let's not conflate AG and all the stuff that's attached to him.

With the fact (yes/no?) that our global economy is dependent on a finite resource,  should we not be motivated (and also incentivized) to find alternatives not only for our own need but also as an inevitable new emerging industry?

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2007, 09:41:43 PM »
With the fact (yes/no?) that our global economy is dependent on a finite resource,  should we not be motivated (and also incentivized) to find alternatives not only for our own need but also as an inevitable new emerging industry?

Absolutely, I support the development of alternative energy sources so long as they are a pragmatic economical choice.  Right now, nuclear energy is the most pragmatic of the available energies.
Thread Killer

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2007, 09:45:27 PM »
Gore was the second most powerful man on earth for 8 years.

he is one of the top 10 influential people in America today. 

He is an oscar winner.

He is the most powerful person, doing the most to help the cause, on the planet right now.

And he would be less effective in this if he rode a bike and lived in a tent.

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2007, 09:47:39 PM »
Gore was the second most powerful man on earth for 8 years.

he is one of the top 10 influential people in America today. 

He is an oscar winner.

He is the most powerful person, doing the most to help the cause, on the planet right now.

And he would be less effective in this if he rode a bike and lived in a tent.

He'd be less likely to destroy the World too.  And you're telling me he needs to physically fly to places to promote his work?  How is it then that I can promote my weblog to you from the other side of the world?
Thread Killer

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2007, 09:51:17 PM »
Absolutely, I support the development of alternative energy sources so long as they are a pragmatic economical choice.  Right now, nuclear energy is the most pragmatic of the available energies.

so you agree that fossil fuel is finite and we are truly fucked if we don't eventually find an alternative?