Author Topic: Watches - info and discussion  (Read 6493 times)

Phantom Spunker

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • Ze/Zir
Re: Watches - info and discussion
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2023, 12:35:56 PM »
I own 2 watches of any value. a 1990's Rolex Submariner date as my daily, and a Citizen solar powered for travel abroad. A few others that are likely under $40 each to match particular occasions. My questions are, when did you start collecting watches, what do you look for? What would be the watch you would love to have if price was no problem?

For me, I always had cheap watches that could take a beating. It's only fairly recently that I've really paid any attention to collecting them as a hobby. I used to dive a little, and I find myself drawn more to tool watches, but I also love the aesthetics of a nice dress watch.

I'd love the 18ct yellow gold Submariner with blue dial if money weren't an option. It's flashy but it would be nice to wear for special occasions. A GMT would actually be quite useful for me these days, though.

My father's best friend was one of the old-school saturation divers involved in some of the early tests that Rolex carried out. He had an original Rolex Comex watch that he eventually sold for peanuts a long time ago. He found out more recently what it would be worth these days and was absolutely raging, lol.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2023, 08:29:44 PM »
For me, I always had cheap watches that could take a beating. It's only fairly recently that I've really paid any attention to collecting them as a hobby. I used to dive a little, and I find myself drawn more to tool watches, but I also love the aesthetics of a nice dress watch.

I'd love the 18ct yellow gold Submariner with blue dial if money weren't an option. It's flashy but it would be nice to wear for special occasions. A GMT would actually be quite useful for me these days, though.

My father's best friend was one of the old-school saturation divers involved in some of the early tests that Rolex carried out. He had an original Rolex Comex watch that he eventually sold for peanuts a long time ago. He found out more recently what it would be worth these days and was absolutely raging, lol.

I can only imagine...

I'll likely pass this Rolex on to my son.... it just fits so many occasions. I live on the water in Florida and always in a pool or the ocean, as you know, that has no ill effects on the Submariner. Plus, it's accepted in almost every social circle when socializing. It's not ultra fancy but it carries a pedigree. I wear it playing poker and get some comments. One young guy tried to tell me it was a fake. He was certain of it. But his knowledge didn't encompass the fact mine was purchased in 1998 and he's only seen the newer ones that are 41mm.

mops

• Getbig IV
  • Never make snow angels in a dog park
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2023, 10:06:23 PM »
I can only imagine...

I'll likely pass this Rolex on to my son.... it just fits so many occasions. I live on the water in Florida and always in a pool or the ocean, as you know, that has no ill effects on the Submariner. Plus, it's accepted in almost every social circle when socializing. It's not ultra fancy but it carries a pedigree. I wear it playing poker and get some comments. One young guy tried to tell me it was a fake. He was certain of it. But his knowledge didn't encompass the fact mine was purchased in 1998 and he's only seen the newer ones that are 41mm.

Pre-ceramic submariners and GMTs are the best. They look like tool watches, and as the saying goes, use your tools, don't baby them.

The late 2000s introduction of the ceramic bezel marked a turning point for the brand.  Since then, Rolex has trended towards a sleeker, more polished look which I personally dislike.

Additionally, the unethical and outright despicable practices of Rolex Authorized Dealers pushed me further away from this brand.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2023, 12:51:20 AM »

mops

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2023, 09:48:33 AM »

Pre-owned market isn't doing great either

Bloomberg's Subdial 50 index.

This index is made up of the 50 most traded models on the pre-owned market. Together, they account for over 20% of total spend globally.

Calculations take into account the latest market price of each of the 50 models as well as their relative weighting based on sales value.

the 50 models in question :

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2023, 09:21:51 PM »
Pre-owned market isn't doing great either

Bloomberg's Subdial 50 index.

This index is made up of the 50 most traded models on the pre-owned market. Together, they account for over 20% of total spend globally.

Calculations take into account the latest market price of each of the 50 models as well as their relative weighting based on sales value.

the 50 models in question :

If I read that right, my Rolex Submariner date is worth about $9K. Cool...

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2023, 09:24:09 PM »
Pre-ceramic submariners and GMTs are the best. They look like tool watches, and as the saying goes, use your tools, don't baby them.

The late 2000s introduction of the ceramic bezel marked a turning point for the brand.  Since then, Rolex has trended towards a sleeker, more polished look which I personally dislike.

Additionally, the unethical and outright despicable practices of Rolex Authorized Dealers pushed me further away from this brand.

Do you mean asking $700+ for a service?

mops

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2023, 09:28:19 AM »
Do you mean asking $700+ for a service?

Authorized Dealers have been playing dirty games for a long time now. Gamea of BS, snobery and market manipulation.

They simply refuse to sell watches to customers under the false pretext that the supply they get is very limited.

They will require you to visit one of their "showrooms" and personally make a registration of demand list against a "high demand" Rolex model.

If you have the right "profile" , buy other luxury items from them, buy their overpriced in-house insurance policies and, generaly speaking, kiss the sales clerk's behind, you will "increase" your chance to receive "the call" sooner rather than later.

It can take from several months to a year+ depending on the model.

Interestingly, the flippers never seems to have any problem purchasing 5 submariners from them every year. ::)

It is also a well known fact that they discreetly sell their production to the grey market at a premium. The watches are then sold to customers at RRP x2-x5 ( RRP = Recommended Retail Price)

At their showrooms, they always try to convince you their models are hard to get and what you are seing are exhibition models only. Yet, the gray market is literally flooded with them.

Rolex has also been complicit in hiding the stolen details of their watches. They aren't always returning stolen watches to their rightful owners....

Phantom Spunker

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • Ze/Zir
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2023, 03:11:40 AM »
I met up with one of my mates the other day to catch up. He's not really a watch guy but he had a nice Rolex on, and he confessed to basically being peer-pressured into buying it, haha. One of our more 'flash' mutual friends that he works with persuaded him to come to the Rolex dealership with him and put his name down on some waiting list. He was told that he'd likely be waiting around a year. 'Great', he thought. 'That gives me loads of time and I can get out of it'. About two weeks later they rung him up, informing him of how lucky he was that the particular model he liked was now in and he could come and collect it.

Wearing the Seamaster now on its SS bracelet. I must confess, I really don't like the feel of it. I'm used to a NATO, so it feels very bulky and just seems to get in my way. Needs another link taken out, I think. It is big but not comically so.