Author Topic: Arthur Jones Quotes  (Read 13850 times)

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
Arthur Jones Quotes
« on: January 02, 2014, 05:05:17 PM »

Arthur Jones Quotes

If you like exercise, chances are you’re doing it wrong.

Don’t look for ways to make an exercise easier, look for ways to make it harder.

The first repetition is always the most dangerous repetition… and the last repetition, when you are simply not strong enough to hurt yourself, is always the safest.

When the intensity of an exercise is increased, the amount of exercise must be reduced.  When you train harder, you must train less.

Workouts are for the purpose of building size and strength, not for the purpose of demonstrating strength

It took me twenty years to learn that two sets are better than four, and twenty more years to learn that one set is better than two

A workout can be hard or a workout can be long.  There is no such thing as a long hard workout.

Exercise merely stimulates growth, it does not produce the growth.  Changes that result from exercise are actually produced by the body itself.  During rest.

If race horses were trained as much as most bodybuilders train, you could safely bet your money on an out of conditioned turtle.

Nautilus machines enable you to train properly.  They don’t make you train properly.

A properly performed set on the Nautilus Compound Leg machine, should leave you feeling you just climbed a tall building with your car tied to your back.

You should find it necessary to sit down.  If you merely “feel like” sitting down, then the set wasn’t hard enough.

Practice makes perfect; as long as you practice perfectly.  Practicing mistakes makes for perfect mistakes.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Re: Arthur Jones Quotes
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 08:13:24 AM »
They ought to take the top 500 football coaches, load them up in a Boeing 747 and crash it into the side of a mountain.

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 05:41:23 PM »
They ought to take the top 500 football coaches, load them up in a Boeing 747 and crash it into the side of a mountain.

lol

yeah!!

I saw youtube of him saying that lol

lol

friggin epik

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 05:50:04 PM »

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 02:28:36 AM »

Great video, thank you for sharing it.

He was a very smart man. It seems like he was half right and half wrong in equal measure, but as much of a genius as we have ever had in resistance training.  I own a few Mk1-2 Nautilus machines and despite them being not far off 40 years of age the pullovers especially eclipse modern equivalents.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 05:51:26 AM »
lol

yeah!!

lol

friggin epik

I always loved during his seminars when he ended up dissing more members of the audience who were asking questions then actually answering their question.

"That's the STUPIDEST question I've ever heard in my entire life"

"Son you're gonna have to speak up" ;D

Also read somewhere that some guy was selling Arthur's son drugs and Arthur had the guy held while he pistol whipped him repeatedly.

I could just see Arthur talking shit as he laid into him.  8)

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 06:34:04 PM »
one problem with world these days:  no penalty for being a bugger

Nasty Nate

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 08:47:49 PM »
those quotes are golden, dude was a genius

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 09:09:53 PM »
theres a few logical flaws there, but overal smart guy

good sales promoter

n

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 09:27:36 PM »
Because of his abrasive and no nonsense personality he never really got the credit he deserve. He revolutionized training methods and equipment. All the machines nowadays use some sort of cam device to duplicate the continuous and variable resistance of the Nautilus machines.

What a fascinating man and what it would be like to spend an evening with him just listening to his long and varied life experiences.

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 01:27:52 PM »
Arthur Jones wrote in "My First Half-Century In The Iron Game" (1996): Quote: Apart from a rather limited number of hardcore bodybuilders who are misguided enough to believe that they have a chance to compete against the outright genetic freaks that now dominate bodybuilding competition, just about anybody else in this country can produce nearly all of the potential benefits of proper exercise without spending much if anything in excess of about twenty dollars. You can build both a chinning bar and a pair of parallel dip bars for a total cost of only a few dollars, and those two exercises, chins and dips, if properly performed, will stimulate muscular growth in your upper body and arms that will eventually lead to muscular size and strength that is very close to your potential. Adding full squats, eventually leading up to one-legged full squats, and one-legged calf raises, will do much the same thing for your legs and hips. Using this very simple routine, when you get strong enough to perform about ten repetitions of one-armed chins with each arm, your arms will leave very little to be desired. Or, instead, you can do what many thousands of others are now doing and piss away thousands of dollars and years of largely wasted effort while producing far less results. The choice is yours. One of the best pair of arms that I ever saw on a man belonged to a guy that I knew about fifty years ago in New York, and he never performed any sort of exercise apart from chins and dips, and damned few of them."

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 02:23:03 PM »
lol

yeah!!

lol

friggin epik

Start at around 4:00  :)

Quotes like this put him right up there with Arnold as the best bodybuilding personalities of all time.  ;D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 02:31:14 PM »
theres a few logical flaws there, but overal smart guy

good sales promoter

yes...a man who was like them all a business man.

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 03:40:03 PM »
I am 10,000 miles to the right of atilla the hun

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 03:50:18 PM »
Arthur Jones wrote in "My First Half-Century In The Iron Game" (1996): Quote: Apart from a rather limited number of hardcore bodybuilders who are misguided enough to believe that they have a chance to compete against the outright genetic freaks that now dominate bodybuilding competition, just about anybody else in this country can produce nearly all of the potential benefits of proper exercise without spending much if anything in excess of about twenty dollars. You can build both a chinning bar and a pair of parallel dip bars for a total cost of only a few dollars, and those two exercises, chins and dips, if properly performed, will stimulate muscular growth in your upper body and arms that will eventually lead to muscular size and strength that is very close to your potential. Adding full squats, eventually leading up to one-legged full squats, and one-legged calf raises, will do much the same thing for your legs and hips. Using this very simple routine, when you get strong enough to perform about ten repetitions of one-armed chins with each arm, your arms will leave very little to be desired. Or, instead, you can do what many thousands of others are now doing and piss away thousands of dollars and years of largely wasted effort while producing far less results. The choice is yours. One of the best pair of arms that I ever saw on a man belonged to a guy that I knew about fifty years ago in New York, and he never performed any sort of exercise apart from chins and dips, and damned few of them."
This i do agree with .. DIPS, chins, squats. Chinning the bar gives you great biceps and back.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 03:51:18 PM »
I am 10,000 miles to the right of atilla the hun

Haha oh yeah who could forget that classic??  :D

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 05:24:42 AM »
Start at around 4:00  :)

Quotes like this put him right up there with Arnold as the best bodybuilding personalities of all time.  ;D

If Arthur said that today, in the united states, land of the free, it would be arrested and deported to guantanamo bay for indefinite time.

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 11:18:52 AM »
if you never vomited from 1 set of biceps curls, you dont know what intensity is

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 11:32:48 AM »
i like his interview on the david letterman the betterman show on youtibe.com
F

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 04:25:13 PM »
if you never vomited from 1 set of biceps curls, you dont know what intensity is

Yeah that was actually the first ever Arthur Jones quote i clearly remember. I read out of a book Ellington Darden had wrote. Bigger muscles in 42 days or something like that.

As a naive teenager I thought "Arthur Jones" must be some massive bodybuilder who took lifting seriously. Never did it cross my mind he was some 50 something multi millionaire inventor.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 05:31:03 PM »
His theories make logical sense. But in the real world it just never panned out. No bodybuilder, with or without drugs, got anywhere strictly following his training principles. Mostly having to do with volume, duration and frequency. Mentzer, Yates and even Viator increased volume, duration and frequency far beyond what Jones insisted on to achieve and compete on the level they were at. Jones even later felt that Casey trained too much during the Colorado experiment and felt he would have done even better if he cut back to twice a week training and even considered once a week.

He was a genius but he could also be wrong. He insisted at one point that steroids had no effect on muscle hypertrophy which was the common way of thinking in the medical community during the 1970s and before.   

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 11:01:13 PM »
mentzer

yeates

viator

were pretty huge doing jones 1 set stuff

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 12:23:49 AM »
mentzer

yeates

viator

were pretty huge doing jones 1 set stuff

They did not train in the manner Jones espoused while competing. They certainly did more than one set per exercise. I bought Mentzer's training courses during the 1980s and they weren't one set exercises.

Mentzer publicly criticized Yates for doing too much. I remember an article where he was making that same old argument and then added "And that means you too, Dorian!"

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2014, 11:59:54 AM »
 :)jones also took part in the first colorado exp and made some good gains.
F