Author Topic: Does the 90/10 rule apply to Pro Bodybuilding?  (Read 2880 times)

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
Does the 90/10 rule apply to Pro Bodybuilding?
« on: January 30, 2007, 12:38:58 PM »
Does the 90/10 rule apply to Pro Bodybuilding? Using a lesson out of the book,Rich Dad, Poor Dad, can it be applied to the thinking of bodybuilding?

In pro bodybuilding, 10 percent of the competitors win 90 percent of the money. That leaves 90 percent of the other pros to split the remaining 10 percent. This could be said for ANY bodybuilding federation; the IFBB, and it's becoming apparent in the PDI, Lee has proven this theory. Paul Dillett complained about the same guys winning shows on PBW.

Do most guys believe they are in the 10 percent or fail to realize it and why they complain? Sure they are winners, they're pros but most are not in the 10 percent. The point - no matter how many oranizations there are there will always be the top 10% who win the shows.

Discuss.

Elevate Your Image.™

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
Re: Does the 90/10 rule apply to Pro Bodybuilding?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 12:41:34 PM »
I suspect the more widely known 80/20 rule applies to muscle development in general : 80% of the gains come from the first 20% of effort.

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 12:46:28 PM »
If prize money from competition was a professional bodybuilders primary source of income then this would be an interesting discussion. Its not though  :P

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 12:51:30 PM »
If prize money from competition was a professional bodybuilders primary source of income then this would be an interesting discussion. Its not though  :P

In fairness, if you're factoring endorsement money in as well, it's probably more like 98/2.

G4P income, being untaxed, deserves its own discussion.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 12:57:43 PM »
I blame you guys for not supporting the industry enough by buying more supplements and accessories like straps and gloves.
Z

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 12:59:13 PM »
I blame you guys for not supporting the industry enough by buying more supplements and accessories like straps and gloves.
we don't have to, you're purchasing enough "posing sessions" to keep the industry alive all by yourself.

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 01:03:54 PM »
Yet it is the rationale being brought up for starting new federations and the constant complaint of competitors.  :-\
Elevate Your Image.™

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 01:05:14 PM »
Yet it is the rationale being brought up for starting new federations

Dillett can pull any rationale out of his ass that he wants. But the only one he's concerned about seeing get paid is himself.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 01:06:41 PM »
yeah its actually the 80/20 principle.......90/10 is a theory one ammassed wealth...but in BB i would say that less than 5% get the BB's money

L

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »
yeah its actually the 80/20 principle.......90/10 is a theory one ammassed wealth...but in BB i would say that less than 5% get the BB's money
I'm aware of the original thought of 80/20 but was referencing the book which speaks on 90/10 to wealth but makes the comparison of golfers.

The point being no matter what the percentage you want to agree on - the principle still applies and isn't a legit arguement, in my opinion for a new organizations. The same principle will end up applying to them as well in a short period of time as we've witnessed with Lee in the new org.

Elevate Your Image.™

AVBG

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 01:19:51 PM »
It comes down to not everyone being able to win, not everyone has the desirable genetics or access to the quality drugs.

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 01:31:24 PM »
access to the quality drugs.
You really believe that?
Elevate Your Image.™

AVBG

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 01:37:31 PM »
You really believe that?

definately.. 100%.. tell me what do you think is available in Australia (besides stolen Vet gear)?

A. Underground.. Human grade pharma is almost non-existant.

Tell me how in your opinion would that rate compared to whats available for the US bodybuilder or European???

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 01:39:36 PM »
tell me what do you think is available in Australia (besides stolen Vet gear)?

Lee should be along soon. He'll know.  ;D

AVBG

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 01:44:22 PM »
Lee should be along soon. He'll know.  ;D

Do you really think he gets his gear in Australia?  ;D Lee (from what I know) spends a lot of time off the gear and his contest prep is based in Houston TX.. I think he is a US citizen now?

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 01:49:38 PM »
Do you really think he gets his gear in Australia?  ;D Lee (from what I know) spends a lot of time off the gear and his contest prep is based in Houston TX.. I think he is a US citizen now?

Good point. However, even if he doesn't score his shit there now, I'm willing to bet he had occasion in the past to find out what's on offer in his homeland.

AVBG

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 01:52:01 PM »
Good point. However, even if he doesn't score his shit there now, I'm willing to bet he had occasion in the past to find out what's on offer in his homeland.

For sure.. (without sounding like Chick) Back in the day (early nineties) I used to get oregon sustanon 250 for $12 (3 preloaded shots).. things now have dramatically changed.

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 01:57:00 PM »
definately.. 100%.. tell me what do you think is available in Australia (besides stolen Vet gear)?

A. Underground.. Human grade pharma is almost non-existant.

Tell me how in your opinion would that rate compared to whats available for the US bodybuilder or European???
You first stated, "It comes down to not everyone being able to win, not everyone has the desirable genetics or access to the quality drugs."

Which implies you follow the Adonis principle that it's "all drugs". If it were all drugs you could load Adonis up with the best drugs money can buy and turn him into a pro. Oh wait he doesn't have the genetics either.

That's the lamest excuse I've heard all year - not getting access to the good stuff.  ::) I have no clue what is available in Europe vs the US or Australia, maybe gh15 can shed some light on that.

The point is, access to better drugs alone doesn't make one a better bodybuilder.

Elevate Your Image.™

AVBG

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007, 02:12:13 PM »
You first stated, "It comes down to not everyone being able to win, not everyone has the desirable genetics or access to the quality drugs."

Which implies you follow the Adonis principle that it's "all drugs". If it were all drugs you could load Adonis up with the best drugs money can buy and turn him into a pro. Oh wait he doesn't have the genetics either.

That's the lamest excuse I've heard all year - not getting access to the good stuff.  ::) I have no clue what is available in Europe vs the US or Australia, maybe gh15 can shed some light on that.

The point is, access to better drugs alone doesn't make one a better bodybuilder.

To a certain extent, yes Adam has a point.

But you're kidding yourself if you don't think drugs give edge to break into the top tier.

Ask Desmond Miller if he could've won the overall at the nationals with the physique he had when competing in his previous orgs?

Ask Ronnie Coleman what he believed catapulted (besides his faith and destiny) him to the Olympia throne?? A. Teh Chad!

It's a given that the work and dedication is needed to succeed, but what about the guys out of the top ten of the O.. Are you saying they don't work as hard or sacrifice as Jay or Ronnie?

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 02:17:41 PM »
It's a given that the work and dedication is needed to succeed, but what about the guys out of the top ten of the O.. Are you saying they don't work as hard or sacrifice as Jay or Ronnie?
If I'm following your logic, all those guys need are better drugs and then they will be in that 10% or less that win shows. Right?

Elevate Your Image.™

AVBG

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2007, 02:25:31 PM »
If I'm following your logic, all those guys need are better drugs and then they will be in that 10% or less that win shows. Right?

Provided they already have the desirable genetics.. yes. Isaac, if the drugs didn't provide the advantage, there'd be no benefit in taking them.

I am only calling it from where I see it and I have been watching the pro bb circus for almost 20 years... Your perspective in Denver maybe different.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2007, 02:29:27 PM »
Provided they already have the desirable genetics.. yes. Isaac, if the drugs didn't provide the advantage, there'd be no benefit in taking them.

I am only calling it from where I see it and I have been watching the pro bb circus for almost 20 years... Your perspective in Denver maybe different.
The air is thinner there, remember.   :D

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2007, 02:40:40 PM »
we don't have to, you're purchasing enough "posing sessions" to keep the industry alive all by yourself.

hahahhaa
Valhalla awaits.

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2007, 03:12:20 PM »

You failed to mention that the two go hand in hand in your previous posts. So it's not ALL DRUGS.

Rocky Mountain High Colorado
Elevate Your Image.™

AVBG

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2007, 03:27:18 PM »
You failed to mention that the two go hand in hand in your previous posts. So it's not ALL DRUGS.

Rocky Mountain High Colorado

I thought I did  :-\

It comes down to not everyone being able to win, not everyone has the desirable genetics or access to the quality drugs.