Author Topic: Electric Car And Autonomous News  (Read 9270 times)

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
Re: Electric Car And Autonomous News
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2022, 02:47:53 PM »
It's a 1/2 ton. 

The newest Duramax is rated at 445 hp and 910 lb⋅f

So this truck has 309 additional hp, but less torque.

There's a significant cost savings of electric over diesel.

I get it, it has a lot of power and weight, but if the suspension isn’t set up for towing weight, whatever you’re hauling is going to drag you all over the road. Might be good for your average weekend warrior, but until they make a 3/4 or 1 ton it won’t be used in construction.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2022, 03:07:13 PM »

There's a significant cost savings of electric over diesel.

Today this is true. But for how long?

What happens when the price of electricity is increased, and it will be. 

What happens when you need a repair or more specifically a battery replacement? As of today that is not cheap.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2022, 03:38:32 PM »
Today this is true. But for how long?

What happens when the price of electricity is increased, and it will be. 

What happens when you need a repair or more specifically a battery replacement? As of today that is not cheap.

Yeah, no shit. I’ve got a golf cart that has batteries and they’re super expensive to replace if they go bad. Couldn’t imagine what it would be for lithium ion batteries for a $100k truck.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2022, 03:58:26 PM »
Where is the infrastructure to support everyone needing to charge a vehicle?

I'm naive to some of this, but do you get a free charging station to put in your garage, when you buy an electric car?

Do they think that traditional gas stations are going to go the way of the dinosaur? Will they have the balls to make gas vehicles illegal in the future?

Let's not talk about lack of replacement parts, and new batteries that you need a loan to afford.

I think that hybrids are the better option, although, I can't see myself owning something other than gas.

We are talking decades before the government, Tesla, etc.... can realistically expect the majority of the population to become electric, maybe even hybrid.

Give people a free charging station for personal use with purchase. Don't make people have to take out a second mortgage to fix their cars.

Right now, they are just taking advantage of rich people, and hipsters, people that don't care about throwing money away.

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2022, 04:00:59 PM »
Where is the infrastructure to support everyone needing to charge a vehicle?

I'm naive to some of this, but do you get a free charging station to put in your garage, when you buy an electric car?

Do they think that traditional gas stations are going to go the way of the dinosaur? Will they have the balls to make gas vehicles illegal in the future?

Let's not talk about lack of replacement parts, and new batteries that you need a loan to afford.

I think that hybrids are the better option, although, I can't see myself owning something other than gas.

We are talking decades before the government, Tesla, etc.... can realistically expect the majority of the population to become electric, maybe even hybrid.

Give people a free charging station for personal use with purchase. Don't make people have to take out a second mortgage to fix their cars.

Right now, they are just taking advantage of rich people, and hipsters, people that don't care about throwing money away.
All valid points, Shitz. I’ll hold off on an electric vehicle until they close all gas stations.
T

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2022, 08:35:23 PM »
I get it, it has a lot of power and weight, but if the suspension isn’t set up for towing weight, whatever you’re hauling is going to drag you all over the road. Might be good for your average weekend warrior, but until they make a 3/4 or 1 ton it won’t be used in construction.

Now that the unsponsored reviews are coming out, it's changing a bit.

Towing anything substantial with these trucks is a nightmare.

And the milage they get is very different.

Also, the cost to charge one of these frequently is not as cheap as people think. The benefits come for people who drive very little.

I do believe they will improve over time; technology always gets better. But i would not buy one in the next few years.

EV are very popular where i live and nobody i have met that owns one will back up the claims made when they purchased them. Even the tree hugger granolas are surprised when the cost to "fuel" them is only 15-20% less than gasoline.

And we all know energy prices are going to continue to go up as we move away from fossil fuels.

I will happily drive my V8 until the wheels fall off.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2022, 06:08:35 PM »
Tesla Semi Delivery Event to Pepsico.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2022, 06:10:47 PM »
Tesla Semi driving 500 miles, fully loaded, on a single charge.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2022, 06:21:02 PM »
Tesla Semi Delivery Event to Pepsico.

Seems a little dangerous to be zipping around that fast. Either way, I’d like to own one if the price is right. A new Mack CH series is running $170k now. They were $145k two three years ago.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2022, 02:59:03 PM »
BYD recently overtook Volkswagen as the best selling brand in China. 

The BYD Seal just went on sale and is one of the reasons the Chinese auto market is so competitive. 

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2022, 04:32:55 PM »
Seems a little dangerous to be zipping around that fast. Either way, I’d like to own one if the price is right. A new Mack CH series is running $170k now. They were $145k two three years ago.

Are you a trucker?

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2022, 05:16:29 AM »
Are you a trucker?

I don’t personally drive them but I do own some road tractors and dump trucks.

Rambone

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2022, 12:58:46 PM »
I don’t personally drive them but I do own some road tractors and dump trucks.

Sweet

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2023, 08:06:50 AM »
New emissions regulations being announced this Wednesday will be 70 percent stricter in 2027 than in 2021.  These regulations are as strict as Europe and China are proposing.

I'm opposed to this kind of government regulation of the auto industry, but it means auto companies won't have a choice but to make electric cars.   

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2023, 09:01:31 AM »
New emissions regulations being announced this Wednesday will be 70 percent stricter in 2027 than in 2021.  These regulations are as strict as Europe and China are proposing.

I'm opposed to this kind of government regulation of the auto industry, but it means auto companies won't have a choice but to make electric cars.   

We need a new administration that won’t allow this kind of EPA regulation. Laws enacted by some agency.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2023, 02:44:02 PM »
Waymo VS Tesla on the same route in San Francisco.

Carscoops:

"Furthermore, it’s worth noting that the Waymo is full of sensors that help it accomplish its Level 4 driving ability. Those sensors include radar, lidar, and more. The Tesla has none of that and literally drives through the automaker’s Level 2 “Vision” system regardless of location. It leverages data gathered by external cameras rather than ultrasonic sensors."

https://www.carscoops.com/2023/06/teslas-full-self-driving-matches-waymo-skills-despite-far-less-hardware/

Both systems are impressive.

Rambone

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: June 18, 2023, 02:51:33 PM »
When’s my ugly Cybertruck gonna be ready?

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #92 on: June 18, 2023, 02:57:51 PM »
California and Nevada have both certified Mercedes level 3 autonomous system making it legal to use in both states.  Mercedes is the first company to achieve this certification in America. 

Germany has also certified the use of this system.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: June 18, 2023, 03:03:40 PM »
What happens when one of these "blue screens" on the highway?

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2023, 01:30:16 AM »
What happens when one of these "blue screens" on the highway?
Just hope you aren't on the same highway.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." -- Joe Rogan

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2023, 09:09:37 AM »
Infrastructure Bill Includes Per-Mile Road Tax Test That Will Track Drivers’ Travel

https://www.thedrive.com/news/41865/infrastructure-bill-includes-per-mile-road-tax-test-that-will-track-drivers-travel

More States Hitting Electric Vehicle Owners With High Fees

https://www.consumerreports.org/hybrids-evs/more-states-hitting-electric-vehicle-owners-with-high-fees/

Pa. looking to charge electric vehicle owners a $290 annual fee

https://www.pennlive.com/politics/2023/06/pa-looking-to-charge-electric-vehicle-owners-a-290-annual-fee.html

Without a Gas Tax, How Will EVs Be Charged for Road Use?

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/hybrids-evs/without-a-gas-tax-how-will-evs-be-charged-for-road-use-a1206432507/

It’s a fair point, electric vehicles are heavier than their ICE counterparts (ie: more damaging to the roads) and they don’t pay the taxes that fund road repairs.

The new electric hummer is over 9000 pounds  :o

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." -- Joe Rogan
« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2023, 10:18:41 AM »
It’s a fair point, electric vehicles are heavier than their ICE counterparts (ie: more damaging to the roads) and they don’t pay the taxes that fund road repairs.

So far, electric car owners have been getting a free ride.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2023, 10:58:26 AM »
So far, electric car owners have been getting a free ride.

That’s part of the selling point.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2023, 07:34:16 PM »

That's true for the hummer and also the electric Silverado and Sierra.  I'm interested in seeing what the Cyber truck weighs.  I think Tesla will embarrass GM and Ford with how much lighter it is.  For comparison, the F150 Lightning is 6600 lbs.