Author Topic: Most overrated on the WWE roster?  (Read 12618 times)

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
Re: Most overrated on the WWE roster?
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2009, 01:36:27 PM »
Karl, related to this topic, I used to belong to a website in the mid 90's where we discussed wrestling.  Many of the younger guys talked about how titles were always used to put over talent that couldn't do it otherwise...we older guys said that it was only a new thing in the 90's because in the older days it was most often the top draws who held titles.  Were we correct?

It kinda works both ways.  You have to think who do the fans want to see. If your trying to get a guy over and it's not working , if you do it right putting the title on him can help.  It's easier to get a guy over as a heel then a face.  A lot of the times back in the day if a guy was already over he did not need to be Champion.   But you might put him in a angle with the champ to draw money.  To me IMO there is not reason to have the title on a heel for too long.   Look how long Hogan, and Backland were Champions, long time.  Iron Sheik on the other hand was only a transitional Champ, he had it for like a month.  After Hogan, Savage who was face then Hogan again and the Warrior.  All babyfaces.   
When wrestling had territories the Champion had to be someone who could travel a lot and could go in and help build up that territories top talent.   Thats what Lou Thez ( Babyface) was great at.  Same with Jack Brisco (babyface) , Dusty (Babyface).  Only few guys could do that as a heel. Flair and Harley race were great at it.    The Champion had a lot of pressure on them back then and had to travel more then the other guys.    Also to be Champion you had to put a $25,000 deposit down on the belt that way you could not run off with it, or if you decided you did not want to drop in when it was time you were stripped of it, and the NWA kept you money.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2009, 06:13:13 AM »
I'll agree with that, the guys been on top of his game for so many years.  He's had feud's with so many people over the years there are a few people who could be in the picture to take away his unbeaten streak.
I really thought Orton was going to beat him in 05.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2009, 12:28:32 PM »
I really thought Orton was going to beat him in 05.

I was a bit like that last year when he beat Edge. 

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2009, 04:56:56 PM »
Orton.. hands down.  Dude is as interesting as a wet stick.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2009, 05:06:47 PM »
Orton.. hands down.  Dude is as interesting as a wet stick.

He's one of the most natural heels ever though.  I can't say I like the guy, but I can't fault his work.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2009, 07:16:32 AM »
He's one of the most natural heels ever though.  I can't say I like the guy, but I can't fault his work.
ahahah exactly he just looks like a jerk. I think his work has gotten 100 x better since he returned from his injury. I can't stand Brian Kendrick. I know his gimmick is a cowardly heel hiding behind his bodyguard, but i think he is generic and too small to be a believable main eventer.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2009, 07:30:00 AM »
ahahah exactly he just looks like a jerk. I think his work has gotten 100 x better since he returned from his injury. I can't stand Brian Kendrick. I know his gimmick is a cowardly heel hiding behind his bodyguard, but i think he is generic and too small to be a believable main eventer.

I can't stand Kendrick either.  He's like one of those little chihuahua dogs that you just want to kick til it shuts up.  And dancing around like Axl Rose just finishes it all off.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2009, 07:46:49 AM »
I can't stand Kendrick either.  He's like one of those little chihuahua dogs that you just want to kick til it shuts up.  And dancing around like Axl Rose just finishes it all off.
hahh yes that gay dance and that jacket annoy the hell out of me and not the good hate when a heel does his job and makes you dislike him.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2009, 08:41:35 AM »
Batista. I hate that guy. I change the channel when he comes on. His Tats are so incredibly weak. Especially the one on his back!

His intro is great because it looks like he is firing a gun and i am just waiting to see him shit his pants!!
D

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2009, 08:28:06 PM »
I'm adding Kozlov to the list, the guy is getting worse the more I see him.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2009, 07:02:03 PM »
After Wrestlemania, I'm adding Hornswoggle to the list.  I know he's not a 'wrestler', but I'm beyond sick of him.  Finlay needs to go back to being on his own, kicking ass.

mame09

• Getbig III
  • its simple if it jiggles its fat
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2009, 08:45:50 PM »
the hardys dont belong anywhere but in tlc matches not singles and certainly not hwy champs

randy orton is just fuked and annoying

that little guy with that big black guy Ezekiel just annoying and worthless

hornswoggle is just useless with no talent. midgets worked well with doink the clown not someone like fit finley

jack swagger when ever i see him i feel like punching him in the head

edge hes the same as the hardys i wonder why they are pushing him so hard

the big show he isnt doing anything, not in any good story lines camt wrestle for shit and has shit mic skills

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2009, 08:57:50 PM »
that little guy with that big black guy Ezekiel just annoying and worthless

hornswoggle is just useless with no talent. midgets worked well with doink the clown not someone like fit finley

jack swagger when ever i see him i feel like punching him in the head
Agree. 

I don't get Brian Kendrick at all either.  I haven't seen enough of Swagger yet to make up my mind.

the hardys dont belong anywhere but in tlc matches not singles and certainly not hwy champs

randy orton is just fuked and annoying

edge hes the same as the hardys i wonder why they are pushing him so hard

the big show he isnt doing anything, not in any good story lines camt wrestle for shit and has shit mic skills
Disagree.

The Hardy's are both decent wrestlers.  I don't think they are World Title guys, but they are definitely solid mid-card wrestlers.

Randy Orton is a very talented athlete, and arguably the best heel in the business at the moment.

Edge is also one of the best heels in the business.  You want him to fail, you want him to get screwed over.  I don't like the guy, but it's his character I don't like, not his ability.

Ric Flair referred to the Big Show as the 'best big guy in the business'.  I think he's good on the mic, doesn't take himself too seriously and you can tell he's having fun.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2009, 09:17:05 PM »
After Wrestlemania, I'm adding Hornswoggle to the list.  I know he's not a 'wrestler', but I'm beyond sick of him.  Finlay needs to go back to being on his own, kicking ass.

I agree 100% can't stand him

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2009, 09:57:58 PM »
Not on the roster but Goldberg was overrated. 

L00n

• Getbig IV
  • Bulgaria
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2009, 12:14:36 AM »
for me Kane is underrated  :-\

mame09

• Getbig III
  • its simple if it jiggles its fat
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2009, 01:48:13 AM »
Edge is not getting pushed? Edge is there. Edge is a Superstar. I don't even like Canadians and believe he's definitely earned the right to be a main eventer. 8 time World champ? The title doesn't mean anything anymore but Edge is still great. Orton is misused. The guy has all the potential in the World. Big Show. Remember when he went to ECW and was literally destroying people? This guy is so big, so strong, and so agile if they let him be him? No one could match him. It would sink the ship. Paul Heyman always said Show was the most under used superstar on the roster. He'll never reach his true potential because it would sink the ship. The Big Show is the best Big Man that ever entered the square circle.

i never liked edge the singles wrestler i liked him with christian because they fed of each other to make a great match.

orton just talks to much in the ring. i dont mind backstage promos but damn all these half hour speeches in the middle of the ring is wasting wrestling time. can he wrestle sure but he needs coaching on mic skills to be complete i think he falls in the same category as shelton benjamin.

what made big show great was he was able to use his strength and size to decimate his opponents even the bigger opponents. all he deciamtes is the smaller wrestlers with that ko punch as a finisher. when he would choke slam people you knew this was a big bad fuker. now he kos people. i dont know if he is just lazy or what but he should use size and abilities to fuk up big guys. shit brock lesnar would pick up bigger opponents and slam them every where why cant big show do the same

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2009, 04:02:14 AM »
We've discussed the most underrated, so what about the most overrated?  Who gets too much exposure, got a push they didn't deserve, shouldn't even be on TV?

My first thought is Brian Kendrick.  I don't get what his character is supposed to be, I don't enjoy his matches, and I can't see what they're doing with him.
Brian Kendrick is on Smackdown.

On raw the most over-rated would have to be Batista. He is built like a shit brickhouse but he can't wrestle for shit. Plus from what I heard he is very arrogant backstage not to mention he's always injured.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2010, 06:35:36 PM »
I'm adding Sheamus to this.  Every week I hope that he does something to change my mind, but it's not happening.  The guy's got no charisma, and should never have been given a title run so soon.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2010, 05:07:24 AM »
I'm adding Sheamus to this.  Every week I hope that he does something to change my mind, but it's not happening.  The guy's got no charisma, and should never have been given a title run so soon.
I can't see Sheamus walking out of the Elimination chamber PPV with the title. I think Orton will win it and head into WM. I can also see the Undertaker retaining his title and Edge challenging him to a title match at WM.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2010, 08:06:09 AM »
Sheamus is merely a transitional champion...for now.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2010, 11:55:33 AM »
Sheamus is merely a transitional champion...for now.
Yup....I can totally see him losing the title in the chamber.

Flex 215

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2010, 03:17:40 PM »
It kinda works both ways.  You have to think who do the fans want to see. If your trying to get a guy over and it's not working , if you do it right putting the title on him can help.  It's easier to get a guy over as a heel then a face.  A lot of the times back in the day if a guy was already over he did not need to be Champion.   But you might put him in a angle with the champ to draw money.  To me IMO there is not reason to have the title on a heel for too long.   Look how long Hogan, and Backland were Champions, long time.  Iron Sheik on the other hand was only a transitional Champ, he had it for like a month.  After Hogan, Savage who was face then Hogan again and the Warrior.  All babyfaces.   
When wrestling had territories the Champion had to be someone who could travel a lot and could go in and help build up that territories top talent.   Thats what Lou Thez ( Babyface) was great at.  Same with Jack Brisco (babyface) , Dusty (Babyface).  Only few guys could do that as a heel. Flair and Harley race were great at it.    The Champion had a lot of pressure on them back then and had to travel more then the other guys.    Also to be Champion you had to put a $25,000 deposit down on the belt that way you could not run off with it, or if you decided you did not want to drop in when it was time you were stripped of it, and the NWA kept you money.

Carl you are right about how much more the title meant in the old days.  And heels were just to transistion one babyface to another.  Except for Superstar Billy Graham.  He actually held the title for 9 months, and was starting to get very popular.  He could have turned babyface, or continued to have a successfull run as a heel champion.

Graham sold out Madison Square Garden I believe almost every time he headlined there as champ.  You either loved him or hated him.  Vince has even admitted that maybe he should have waited a while to push Baclund and let Superstar continue his run.  But back then, like you said, heels were just there to give a reason for another face to win the title back.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2010, 05:31:53 AM »
Undertaker is losing tonight for sure. He's definitely not losing at Mania. He just beat Rey last PPV. He's losing the belt tonight and just defending the Streak at WM.
Good call here, Chef. That's exactly what happened. I thought for sure that Edge would end up challenging the Undertaker at WM26 just to through a knuckleball at the fans. Undertaker will face Michaels in a Streak vs Career match. Personally, I would have loved to see a "buried alive" match. How suitible would it be for those two?

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2010, 08:44:09 AM »
Best would have been Hell in a Cell II. This match is going to be awesome! This is for HBKs Legacy. He's gonna put on the performance of his career. If he beats the streak I don't wanna hear a peep outta anyone saying HBK isn't the greatest ever.
I have a funny feeling he'll win on a count that I can't see him loosing twice in a row at a WM event. Unless there is outside interference that gets him dq'd or counted out thus keeping the streak alive and HBK's career in tact.

On a personal side, I hope the Undertaker wins just because I don't want to see the streak end. It will definately be a killer match and the best on the card.