Getbig Misc Discussion Boards > Conspiracy Theories Board

Conspiracy Theories Board

(1/5) > >>

Ron:
Conspiracy theory is a term that originally was a neutral descriptor for any claim of civil, criminal, or political conspiracy. However, it has become largely pejorative and used almost exclusively to refer to any fringe theory which explains a historical or current event as the result of a secret plot by conspirators of almost superhuman power and cunning.

Conspiracy theories are viewed with skepticism by scholars because they are rarely supported by any conclusive evidence and contrast with institutional analysis, which focuses on people's collective behavior in publicly known institutions, as recorded in scholarly material and mainstream media reports, to explain historical or current events, rather than speculate on the motives and actions of secretive coalitions of individuals. The term is therefore often used dismissively in an attempt to characterize a belief as outlandishly false and held by a person judged to be a crank or a group confined to the lunatic fringe. Such characterization is often the subject of dispute due to its possible unfairness and inaccuracy.

According to political scientist Michael Barkun, conspiracy theories once limited to fringe audiences have become commonplace in mass media. He argues that this has contributed to conspiracism emerging as a cultural phenomenon in the United States of the late 20th and early 21st centuries, and the possible replacement of democracy by conspiracy as the dominant paradigm of political action in the public mind. According to anthropologists Todd Sanders and Harry G. West, "evidence suggests that a broad cross section of Americans today…gives credence to at least some conspiracy theories."  Belief in conspiracy theories has therefore become a topic of interest for sociologists, psychologists and experts in folklore.

24KT:
Hi Ron,

I know you've christened this board "The Conspiracy Theory Board", so I hope you won't take too much offense if I post some "Conspiracy Fact" on occasion every once in a while.  :D

powerpack:
LOL love the board
They may as well start sending all of SATAN123 threads here, the guy is a pro  ;D

Dos Equis:
Great idea.  Ozmo is the right person to mod this (or any other) board. 

24KT:

--- Quote from: Beach Bum on October 27, 2010, 06:33:55 PM ---Great idea.  Ozmo is the right person to mod this (or any other) board. 

--- End quote ---

Nothing personal against Ozmo. I think he's a great guy, ...but I question the wisdom of having a mod who discounts all CT's and ridicules those who entertain them. Hardly a good recipe for thought provoking discussion imo, ...but we'll see.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version