Getbig.com: American Bodybuilding, Fitness and Figure

Getbig Main Boards => Gossip & Opinions => Topic started by: IroNat on July 11, 2026, 06:51:47 AM

Title: How long should you rest between sets?
Post by: IroNat on July 11, 2026, 06:51:47 AM
Title: Re: How long should you rest between sets?
Post by: Humble Narcissist on July 11, 2026, 06:54:34 AM
I rested 3-5 minutes when I lifted heavy. Now it's 30 seconds to 1 minute like Serge Nubret.
Title: Re: How long should you rest between sets?
Post by: IroNat on July 11, 2026, 07:06:19 AM
I rested 3-5 minutes when I lifted heavy. Now it's 30 seconds to 1 minute like Serge Nubret.

That's what the video advises if your goal is hypertrophy.
Title: Re: How long should you rest between sets?
Post by: wes on July 11, 2026, 07:20:33 AM
I usually train very fast......makes it intense as a bitch.........lighter weights feel real heavy very quickly.

I also go heavier on other days resting longer....I feel it`s best to mix things up.
Title: Re: How long should you rest between sets?
Post by: IroNat on July 11, 2026, 07:28:33 AM
I usually train very fast......makes it intense as a bitch.........lighter weights feel real heavy very quickly.

I also go heavier on other days resting longer....I feel it`s best to mix things up.

(https://gifdb.com/images/high/bruce-lee-muscles-on-8pct4dmqbdek6u0u.gif)
Title: Re: How long should you rest between sets?
Post by: Humble Narcissist on July 11, 2026, 07:29:30 AM
I usually train very fast......makes it intense as a bitch.........lighter weights feel real heavy very quickly.

I also go heavier on other days resting longer....I feel it`s best to mix things up.
In my old age I don't go heavy any more. Training fast makes up for it.
Title: Re: How long should you rest between sets?
Post by: Coach is Back! on July 11, 2026, 08:03:06 AM
Depends on the goal
Title: Re: How long should you rest between sets?
Post by: MajorDomo on July 11, 2026, 08:09:53 AM
30sec-1min rest these days. 15-20 reps

Saves the joints
Title: Re: How long should you rest between sets?
Post by: wes on July 11, 2026, 08:37:29 AM
In my old age I don't go heavy any more. Training fast makes up for it.
I always go as heavy as I can for the reps I`m shooting for.........I never go below 6 reps anymore, and only go that low occaisionally.......gett ing old sux !!
Title: Re: How long should you rest between sets?
Post by: JK on July 11, 2026, 08:46:46 AM
I rest for about 3-4 minutes during core exercises like bench presses and a little less during isolation exercises later in the workout
Title: Re: How long should you rest between sets?
Post by: judochoke on July 11, 2026, 09:00:22 AM
60-75 seconds for me. I wear a watch, and watch that second hand like a hawk. Have lifted like this for many years. Works for me at 70.

No more heavy weights, but i can do 225 for 8 sets of 6, with 60-75 seconds rest. Beats me to a living plup.

Getting old sucks.
Title: Re: How long should you rest between sets?
Post by: Humble Narcissist on July 12, 2026, 08:42:30 AM
I always go as heavy as I can for the reps I`m shooting for.........I never go below 6 reps anymore, and only go that low occaisionally.......gett ing old sux !!
Youth is wasted on the young.
Title: Re: How long should you rest between sets?
Post by: IroNat on July 12, 2026, 09:27:29 AM
I'm still resting from when I started this thread.
Title: Re: How long should you rest between sets?
Post by: Van_Bilderass on July 12, 2026, 10:34:32 AM
I don't need a rest since I only do one set

But if I did I would rest however long it took to perform optimally. Not a big believer in making things more intense through minimal rest and making it more of an endurance workout. Mechanical tension, structural damage more important than mere "sweat."

But what's most important is doing something you enjoy or else you won't do it.

I always go as heavy as I can for the reps I`m shooting for.........I never go below 6 reps anymore, and only go that low occaisionally.......gett ing old sux !!

I think some like Dante Trudel aka Doggcrapp recommends like 15 reps for those a bit older, maybe over 40 year olds. For safety. I do think you can effectively build muscle with higher reps. Some say the important part is getting the high mechanical tension by going to failure. I don't think the failure point is the trigger per se as Mentzer thought but working in that approximate area is important.
Title: Re: How long should you rest between sets?
Post by: WrongAdvices on July 12, 2026, 10:58:53 AM
What is this 1946?  Go by heart rate on your fitness app
Title: Re: How long should you rest between sets?
Post by: Coach is Back! on July 12, 2026, 11:15:49 AM
IT…DEPENDS…ON…YOUR…GOALS…
Title: Re: How long should you rest between sets?
Post by: SF1900 on July 12, 2026, 01:17:14 PM
I rest 30 seconds to 1 minute and I’m one of the bigger guys here.
Title: Re: How long should you rest between sets?
Post by: IroNat on July 12, 2026, 01:19:10 PM
IT…DEPENDS…ON…YOUR…GOALS…

Exactly.
Title: Re: How long should you rest between sets?
Post by: IroNat on July 12, 2026, 01:20:01 PM
I rest 30 seconds to 1 minute and I’m one of the bigger guys here.

But if you rested 5 minutes you'd be even HUGER.

Like Bhanky.
Title: Re: How long should you rest between sets?
Post by: illuminati on July 12, 2026, 03:46:31 PM
Depends on your fitness level / recuperative ability/ size of your lungs / age / what exercise you are doing /
If its hot or cold / oxygen levels- all variables will affect how long you should rest.
Title: Re: How long should you rest between sets?
Post by: NaturalWonder83 on July 12, 2026, 04:00:58 PM


Title: Re: How long should you rest between sets?
Post by: NaturalWonder83 on July 12, 2026, 04:05:25 PM
About 1 minute for me. I just walk around the gym doing arm circles and looking out the window to make sure no one is breaking into my car. I’m in the gym late at night when the bobcats are on the prowl and the owls are out hooting later in the early morning. Being no one else is there, it’s easy to speed walk around the gym or do active recovery in between sets. I find the quieter it is in the gym, and the fewer distractions, makes me take less rest in between sets.

But if I’m there during day light with other people I will stay in my area and rest about 1 minute. I find that if I start looking at my phone in between sets the workout quality instantly diminishes. If I have taken a very strong pre workout that’s got me heavy breathing, my rest times drop to about 45 seconds.
Title: Re: How long should you rest between sets?
Post by: jude2 on July 12, 2026, 04:29:14 PM
30sec-1min rest these days. 15-20 reps

Saves the joints
Same here.
Title: Re: How long should you rest between sets?
Post by: AbrahamG on July 12, 2026, 04:38:29 PM
Depends on the size of ones cock.  I read in the lancet journal once that larger cocks use up more available oxygen. 
Title: Re: How long should you rest between sets?
Post by: chaos on July 12, 2026, 05:58:40 PM
Rest until you're ready to go again. Why is that so difficult to understand?
Title: Re: How long should you rest between sets?
Post by: Van_Bilderass on July 12, 2026, 07:17:23 PM
If I have taken a very strong pre workout that’s got me heavy breathing, my rest times drop to about 45 seconds.

I wonder if stims affect heat rate recovery after a set? I never monitored heart rate during workouts but I suspect stims might keep it elevated for longer?

I have a genetically high heart rate as is and sometimes after heavy stims I've checked my pulse at 130 before starting lifting! Dangerous and foolish on my part, I know.

Now I've been using meldonium, the Russian heart drug a ton of athletes got busted for a few years back. The Russians including some of their doctors claim they use it to protect the heart during and after heavy exertion, so the ban is unethical since a person should be able to protect himself LOL. Users feel it helps endurance and I think I've had more 'wind' lately.
Title: Re: How long should you rest between sets?
Post by: kreator on July 13, 2026, 05:19:30 AM
I don't rest. The machines do.
Title: Re: How long should you rest between sets?
Post by: Humble Narcissist on July 13, 2026, 07:43:11 AM
I don't rest. The machines do.
Are you Chuck Norris?
Title: Re: How long should you rest between sets?
Post by: falco on July 13, 2026, 07:50:59 AM
I dont have much patience to train anymore, but when i do, i usually superset muscle groups, hence resting time is minimal.
Title: Re: How long should you rest between sets?
Post by: NaturalWonder83 on July 13, 2026, 08:16:29 AM
I wonder if stims affect heat rate recovery after a set? I never monitored heart rate during workouts but I suspect stims might keep it elevated for longer?

I have a genetically high heart rate as is and sometimes after heavy stims I've checked my pulse at 130 before starting lifting! Dangerous and foolish on my part, I know.

Now I've been using meldonium, the Russian heart drug a ton of athletes got busted for a few years back. The Russians including some of their doctors claim they use it to protect the heart during and after heavy exertion, so the ban is unethical since a person should be able to protect himself LOL. Users feel it helps endurance and I think I've had more 'wind' lately.
I think the stims can definitely keep hr elevated longer. One of my usual pre workouts recently must have been a stronger than normal batch. It kept my hr elevated for close to 45 seconds. There was another I took that forced me to just lay on the floor while I waited for my hr and breathing to come down...took close to 5 mins.