Getbig.com: American Bodybuilding, Fitness and Figure

Getbig Main Boards => Gossip & Opinions => Topic started by: Coach is Back! on July 27, 2026, 08:04:42 PM

Title: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: Coach is Back! on July 27, 2026, 08:04:42 PM
For my liberal friends who thinks that Commie Mamdani lowering groceries in NYC government ran grocery stores is a good thing might want to take a remedial class in HS Freshman economics 101.
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: ProudVirgin69 on July 28, 2026, 10:01:47 AM
*fartz*
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: NaturalWonder83 on July 28, 2026, 10:12:24 AM
Bodega Cats
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: MajorDomo on July 28, 2026, 02:22:52 PM
*fartz*

We expected no less from you, lol
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: deadz on July 28, 2026, 02:41:04 PM
The stupidity of the New Idiots who voted him in still amazes me. Obviously an abundance of very sick people in this Country.
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: Dave D on July 28, 2026, 07:20:41 PM
Soon enough It won’t matter . AI will make sure we all have an abundance of life’s necessities!
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: Humble Narcissist on July 29, 2026, 06:26:40 AM
Soon enough It won’t matter . AI will make sure we all have an abundance of life’s necessities!
:D It will even spoon feed us.
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: loco on July 29, 2026, 06:29:43 AM
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: ProudVirgin69 on July 29, 2026, 07:12:32 AM
We expected no less from you, lol

It’s about the same effort as Coach put into this thread.  Feel free to make some actual claims and I’ll address them
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: Grape Ape on July 29, 2026, 08:23:19 AM
I read that a coalition of bodega owners are suing the city for unfair practices, arguing that Mamdani's markets would be operating under unfair trade practices....or something like that.
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: Irongrip400 on July 29, 2026, 10:53:21 AM
I read that a coalition of bodega owners are suing the city for unfair practices, arguing that Mamdani's markets would be operating under unfair trade practices....or something like that.

Reminds me of the warden in Shawshank Redemption. That contractor comes to him and says “your free labor is undercutting me on all these projects” or something like that. Then he slips him a pie with cash in it, and thus the corruption begins. I’d imagine there will be some pissed off store owners about this. Mamdani is a shit show, and while people may be in love with him now, what he’s doing is seriously dangerous for our future economy.
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: Lartinos on July 29, 2026, 11:35:52 AM
I don’t trust food coming from the government.

There isn’t even any accountability at USPS and this would actually be totally government run.

Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: Grape Ape on July 29, 2026, 11:44:35 AM
Reminds me of the warden in Shawshank Redemption. That contractor comes to him and says “your free labor is undercutting me on all these projects” or something like that. Then he slips him a pie with cash in it, and thus the corruption begins. I’d imagine there will be some pissed off store owners about this. Mamdani is a shit show, and while people may be in love with him now, what he’s doing is seriously dangerous for our future economy.

That's a good analogy (nh).
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: mphgrove on July 30, 2026, 05:20:21 AM
I am not 100% against this, may not work out but worth an experiment. The grocery industry has pulled out of huge swaths of the American cityscape leaving few food options for many, many residents. Encouraging the industry from the bully pulpit is the best option but that has not worked. I used to work in one of those neighborhoods and saw first hand the progressive pull-outs by the large corporations. I would not have voted for him (law enforcement, immigration, Israel, etc.) but I am not against some of his “financial” experiments. For example, Ken Griffen can certainly afford to pay a few more property tax dollars on his highest price condo ever purchased in NYC on Central Park.
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: Grape Ape on July 30, 2026, 06:41:02 AM
I am not 100% against this, may not work out but worth an experiment. The grocery industry has pulled out of huge swaths of the American cityscape leaving few food options for many, many residents. Encouraging the industry from the bully pulpit is the best option but that has not worked. I used to work in one of those neighborhoods and saw first hand the progressive pull-outs by the large corporations. I would not have voted for him (law enforcement, immigration, Israel, etc.) but I am not against some of his “financial” experiments. For example, Ken Griffen can certainly afford to pay a few more property tax dollars on his highest price condo ever purchased in NYC on Central Park.

Just because they can, doesn't mean it's right.

And him gloating about it in front of the man's place, and sending out lists of other folks publicly is awful.
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: Humble Narcissist on July 30, 2026, 07:39:23 AM
I am not 100% against this, may not work out but worth an experiment. The grocery industry has pulled out of huge swaths of the American cityscape leaving few food options for many, many residents. Encouraging the industry from the bully pulpit is the best option but that has not worked. I used to work in one of those neighborhoods and saw first hand the progressive pull-outs by the large corporations. I would not have voted for him (law enforcement, immigration, Israel, etc.) but I am not against some of his “financial” experiments. For example, Ken Griffen can certainly afford to pay a few more property tax dollars on his highest price condo ever purchased in NYC on Central Park.
Why did the corporations pull out of those areas?
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: mphgrove on July 30, 2026, 07:45:33 AM
Low margins, crime, shrinkage, management issues. I am not questioning the logic of profitability and closure from a pure capitalist perspective. But where does that leave the grandmother taking care of grandkids and needing reasonably priced groceries? Maybe that question gives a feel for my perspective here. And doing NOTHING is what is driving many of the younger generation to a more severe type of “socialism”.
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: Humble Narcissist on July 30, 2026, 07:51:00 AM
Low margins, crime, shrinkage, management issues. I am not questioning the logic of profitability and closure from a pure capitalist perspective. But where does that leave the grandmother taking care of grandkids and needing reasonably priced groceries? Maybe that question gives a feel for my perspective here. And doing NOTHING is what is driving many of the younger generation to a more severe type of “socialism”.
A grocery chain isn't going to offer fresh, healthy food if no one is going to buy it.
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: Coach is Back! on July 30, 2026, 11:05:08 AM
Low margins, crime, shrinkage, management issues. I am not questioning the logic of profitability and closure from a pure capitalist perspective. But where does that leave the grandmother taking care of grandkids and needing reasonably priced groceries? Maybe that question gives a feel for my perspective here. And doing NOTHING is what is driving many of the younger generation to a more severe type of “socialism”.

Exactly what he’s doing is how communism started. Lower prices so much that it squeezes out smaller businesses who that can’t compete as well as privately held grocery stores who also can’t compete. Once that happens the government comes in takes over. It’s cost control. It’s also what potato IQ Harris ran on in 24’
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: GymnJuice on July 30, 2026, 11:15:26 AM
I am not 100% against this, may not work out but worth an experiment. The grocery industry has pulled out of huge swaths of the American cityscape leaving few food options for many, many residents. Encouraging the industry from the bully pulpit is the best option but that has not worked. I used to work in one of those neighborhoods and saw first hand the progressive pull-outs by the large corporations. I would not have voted for him (law enforcement, immigration, Israel, etc.) but I am not against some of his “financial” experiments. For example, Ken Griffen can certainly afford to pay a few more property tax dollars on his highest price condo ever purchased in NYC on Central Park.

He can afford it, no doubt. But I’ve always believed government works best when the people keep a close eye on it. When only a few shoulder most of the tax burden that oversight weakens. People don’t care as much about how money is spent when it’s someone else’s money. A flat tax is a pipe dream, but it would give everyone an equal stake in watching how government money is used.
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: mphgrove on July 30, 2026, 11:30:57 AM
Exactly what he’s doing is how communism started. Lower prices so much that it squeezes out smaller businesses who that can’t compete as well as privately held grocery stores who also can’t compete. Once that happens the government comes in takes over. It’s cost control. It’s also what potato IQ Harris ran on in 24’

So just let the oligarchs get richer and richer and the middle class (our children) get poorer and poorer. There are risks with government involvement (especially our own inefficient governments in USA) but a balance has been struck in many other nations that is working either somewhat or well. I go back to “capitalism with guardrails”. You think there is no such thing. I think there is.
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: Grape Ape on July 30, 2026, 11:35:46 AM
So just let the oligarchs get richer and richer and the middle class (our children) get poorer and poorer. There are risks with government involvement (especially our own inefficient governments in USA) but a balance has been struck in many other nations that is working either somewhat or well. I go back to “capitalism with guardrails”. You think there is no such thing. I think there is.

The problem is at what point does it stop?  The lion's share of taxes are paid by the rich as is.  And they will always find ways to maximize their $, which could include getting the fuck out of NY, which will create more problems.

I completely understand the challenges new entrants into the workforce face.  And I completely understand how the youth can gravitate to socialism if they aren't able to afford a house, etc......but I also feel strongly that giving the gov't more money won't solve a damn thing.
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: mphgrove on July 30, 2026, 01:27:33 PM
The problem is at what point does it stop?  The lion's share of taxes are paid by the rich as is.  And they will always find ways to maximize their $, which could include getting the fuck out of NY, which will create more problems.

I completely understand the challenges new entrants into the workforce face.  And I completely understand how the youth can gravitate to socialism if they aren't able to afford a house, etc......but I also feel strongly that giving the gov't more money won't solve a damn thing.

Philosophical economic arguments. I don’t guess there is an easy right or wrong. If it tips too far, “communism/socialism” certainly is a disaster. But there is another side: fairness and equity when income inequality is extreme based on how you were born, as in so many nations on the planet, I lean to that side.
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: chaos on July 30, 2026, 02:09:44 PM
So just let the oligarchs get richer and richer and the middle class (our children) get poorer and poorer.
What happens in communism and socialism?
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: Van_Bilderass on July 30, 2026, 03:45:18 PM
I just can't resist. Conservatives, are you surprised? Coach, are you surprised?
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: BB on July 30, 2026, 04:26:04 PM
This is just a feel good measure. It's 5 stories by 2029, one per borough. The thrill of 30% off groceries will wear off when people realize these city markets are deep in the hood. Also, I'm hearing limited hours, and just staple items. Cries of "Why you don't got no Cheetos?" will be heard. They really seem like they're going to be a weird cross breed of grocery and food pantry.
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: chaos on July 30, 2026, 04:47:55 PM
I just can't resist. Conservatives, are you surprised? Coach, are you surprised?
Should make you liberals happy, right?
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: mphgrove on July 31, 2026, 06:23:22 AM
What happens in communism and socialism?

In dictator style communism YES (Cuba, Venezuela, Russia) NO DOUBT. In European style “socialism”, totally different story. Germany is best example: extremely high taxation coupled with much more equal income distribution than USA.  The problem is where you tip or drift from one to the other. I see that argument.

But there it is a real fallacy to simply say the Bernie Sanders style “Democratic Socialism” is exactly the same thing as “Communism”, like Coach and others are doing here. The various flavors can take very different forms.
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: mphgrove on July 31, 2026, 06:30:15 AM
I just can't resist. Conservatives, are you surprised? Coach, are you surprised?

Americans generally can’t stand Netanyahu. But it’s a whole different story as to whether that draws Americans to support what radical Palestinians favor, whether those Americans be Jews or Gentiles. Most Americans are “those people have been fighting for centuries, why even get involved.” But many, many of us still appreciate our JUDEO-Christian heritage deeply and still feel close to WWII and the Holocaust experience, which is woven into our overall world view.
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: Van_Bilderass on July 31, 2026, 07:28:11 AM
Should make you liberals happy, right?

It doesn't make me happy. I'm just pointing out who the real Muslim lover liberal universalist anti-racist is. It's not me.

But many, many of us still appreciate our JUDEO-Christian heritage deeply and still feel close to WWII and the Holocaust experience, which is woven into our overall world view.

Judeo-Christian is a contradiction in terms and not real. It's a fairly new term and was made up by Jews for obvious reasons. Jews for sure have woven this term in many Americans' world view.

This article talks about Ben Shapiro's use of the term Judeo-Christian. We know through his many statements that he actually hates Christianity but it's politically opportune for him to use the phrase, as many other Jews do, Jews who also hate Christianity and Christians.

Quote
https://www.unz.com/article/ben-shapiro-and-the-myth-of-the-judeo-christian-west/

"The US founders, largely Deists rather than orthodox Christians, did not use the term Judeo-Christian, and in the US, where Shapiro’s primary audience is based, the term Judeo-Christian has gone through a number of transformations, coming to the fore in the 1930s as a way of identifying values or beliefs shared by Jewish and Christian traditions with a common Western religious outlook[11]. Deborah Dash Moore claims that the term “first came into the public lexicon as a symbolic vehicle of liberal Jewish and Christian leaders…looking to signal their contempt for (and provide an alternative to) pro-Fascist sympathizers and anti-Semites in the United States who had mobilized around the term Christian. Specifically, the term Judeo-Christian was intended to include Jews as one of the three “fighting faiths” of democracy. During the war years, as Moore puts it, “this new creed expressed a distinctive and essentially pluralist American religious faith that underpinned American democracy.”[12]The term may also have been intended to distance the term ‘Jewish’ from its association with Bolshevism at the time."

Another article:

Quote
https://www.unz.com/article/the-judeo-christian-illusion/

One of the most familiar expressions in modern political and religious discourse is the phrase “Judeo-Christian values.” It is invoked by politicians, church leaders, commentators, and historians as though it described a continuous religious tradition stretching from ancient Galilee through Jesus to the modern Christian Church. Yet surprisingly few people stop to ask a simple historical question: when did Christians begin describing their faith as “Judeo-Christian”?

-----

Within modern Judeo-Christian discourse, it is commonly asserted that “Jesus was Jewish”, “Jews are God’s chosen people”, and that Christianity emerged directly and continuously from Judaism. In my view, these assumptions have profoundly influenced how many Christians understand both Jesus and the origins of their religion, while also reinforcing the modern concept of a shared Judeo-Christian heritage.

Various writers, including James Combs, Jacob Conner, and Willie Martin, have challenged the assumption that Jesus was Jewish and that the modern expression “Judeo-Christianity” accurately describes the earliest Jesus movement.
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: chaos on July 31, 2026, 08:07:17 AM
Germany is best example: extremely high taxation coupled with much more equal income distribution than USA. 
There's the problem, why should I work my ass off to build my life and income just to let the government take it away and give it to people that don't work as hard? Eventually the hard workers/business owners will stop trying as hard and everyone will be living off the government handouts. Doesn't sound like a very good plan to me.
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: Irongrip400 on July 31, 2026, 10:42:25 AM
There's the problem, why should I work my ass off to build my life and income just to let the government take it away and give it to people that don't work as hard? Eventually the hard workers/business owners will stop trying as hard and everyone will be living off the government handouts. Doesn't sound like a very good plan to me.

Thanks for clipping this part of the post, I too read this and was thinking “wtf?” The facts are Germans and ethnic Europeans are hard working and they all buy in. They’re only just now getting a taste of what a real welfare state is like with the migrant loafers. This is nothing like the Chinese, Irish, Mexicans or Germans that came to USA and hit the ground running by working.
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: Coach is Back! on July 31, 2026, 11:14:18 AM
I just can't resist. Conservatives, are you surprised? Coach, are you surprised?

On here for another ass beating?
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: mphgrove on July 31, 2026, 11:14:56 AM
Back to Judeo-Christian. I don’t really care when the term came into vogue or how modern perspectives (with an agenda by the way) slice it. Here’s the simple fact if you attend a Christian church:
Old Testament: Judeo
New Testament: Christian

One example: if you look at literature over the last two millennia (and you can include Islam as well if you are so inclined) they are all intimately connected. And in Black worship for example, Moses and Jesus go side by side (totally).


Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: Coach is Back! on July 31, 2026, 01:55:44 PM
Being Catholic we don’t we don’t the recognize “Judeo-Christian” as a theological doctrine. I would consider it more as a non-denominational term.
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: mphgrove on July 31, 2026, 03:07:05 PM
Being Catholic we don’t we don’t the recognize “Judeo-Christian” as a theological doctrine. I would consider it more as a non-denominational term.

I agree. It’s probably a more traditional academic term, which modern progressive academics want nothing to do with. From a theological standpoint, no Christian would ever say that the Judeo part can stand on its own without Jesus and the Trinity. All I am saying is that the Judeo component surrounds us as Christians and has dramatically influenced our entire history.
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: Van_Bilderass on August 01, 2026, 12:47:10 AM
On here for another ass beating?


What other ass beatings have I taken previously? Certainly not by you. Give me an ass beating then, let's see it. You are taking an ass beating here every day. In case you haven't noticed most posters are laughing at you daily, everyone pointing out your low intelligence tabloid Fox news boomerism. I always say I'm not very smart as in IQ but you certainly aren't seen as any kind of "smart" on here.
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: Van_Bilderass on August 01, 2026, 01:06:48 AM
Back to Judeo-Christian. I don’t really care when the term came into vogue or how modern perspectives (with an agenda by the way) slice it. Here’s the simple fact if you attend a Christian church:
Old Testament: Judeo
New Testament: Christian

One example: if you look at literature over the last two millennia (and you can include Islam as well if you are so inclined) they are all intimately connected. And in Black worship for example, Moses and Jesus go side by side (totally).

I admit I haven't really studied this, but I had vague memories about discussions about when "Jews" first appeared, so I asked AI.

"Moses was a Hebrew (and an Israelite), not a Jew, because the term "Jew" did not exist during his lifetime. He belonged to the tribe of Levi, living centuries before the Kingdom of Judah—the origin of the word "Jew"—was established"

Then there are the discussions on whether Jesus was a Jew. I know, I know, the common refrain is of course Jesus was a Jew. Just saying some disagree and say modern "Jews" came later. Yet later you had the Ashkenazi who some consider Europeans and not indigenous to the middle east at all. Some say the Palestinians have much more ancient Israelite blood than the European Jews. More Jew than "Jews."

As we all know for example Coach's Catholicism was really opposed to Jews before Vatican II, when some say Catholicism because Judaized because, the 'conspiracy theorists' says, it was infiltrated by spiritual Jews.

In any case, the Judeo-Christian term I see as a political term used by Jews for their ethnic interests, not because there is a common spiritual tradition.

Indigenous to the middle east?
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: Humble Narcissist on August 01, 2026, 06:58:38 AM
^^^ Bucky Beaver.
Title: Re: NYC Grocery stores
Post by: mphgrove on August 01, 2026, 07:22:46 AM
I admit I haven't really studied this, but I had vague memories about discussions about when "Jews" first appeared, so I asked AI.

"Moses was a Hebrew (and an Israelite), not a Jew, because the term "Jew" did not exist during his lifetime. He belonged to the tribe of Levi, living centuries before the Kingdom of Judah—the origin of the word "Jew"—was established"

Then there are the discussions on whether Jesus was a Jew. I know, I know, the common refrain is of course Jesus was a Jew. Just saying some disagree and say modern "Jews" came later. Yet later you had the Ashkenazi who some consider Europeans and not indigenous to the middle east at all. Some say the Palestinians have much more ancient Israelite blood than the European Jews. More Jew than "Jews."

As we all know for example Coach's Catholicism was really opposed to Jews before Vatican II, when some say Catholicism because Judaized because, the 'conspiracy theorists' says, it was infiltrated by spiritual Jews.

In any case, the Judeo-Christian term I see as a political term used by Jews for their ethnic interests, not because there is a common spiritual tradition.

Indigenous to the middle east?

Agree Palestinians and Jews are just as old as each other (both Semitic in DNA and language by the way). Not that it’s historical, but the Bible has them exactly that way as well (Ishmael the “father” of the Arabs). I would say we are all entitled to use the terminology any way we please (smile). By the way, modern progressive academics despise the term “Judeo-Christian”: way too Western imperialist for them, leaves too many people out. But it is a term that remains meaningful to me.

From a DNA standpoint, Achkenazi and Sephardic Jews and Arabs all have Semitic DNA, and when I was in Jordan once during a business trip, the Arabs told me that they could kind of understand the Hebrew television station beaming across the River from Israel.