Author Topic: Got 4 questions  (Read 2355 times)

YorkTown

• Getbig II
Got 4 questions
« on: October 24, 2006, 09:27:27 PM »
1. I'm trying to eat every 2-4 hours.
But what if I'm not hungry and its been say 4 1/2 hours or more? no big deal?

2. Is it better to drink after I'm done eating so that the bile in my stomache can digest the food easier?

3. How should I calculate a canned foods nutrional value when I don't drink the juice the fruit is packaged with?

4. When calculating the cals burnt per minute during a workout, does that exclude the 30 second break between sets? btw what cals are burnt in 30-40second sets?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Got 4 questions
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 04:46:05 AM »
1. I'm trying to eat every 2-4 hours.
But what if I'm not hungry and its been say 4 1/2 hours or more? no big deal?

Eat anyway... hunger has nothing to do with why you're eating...

2. Is it better to drink after I'm done eating so that the bile in my stomache can digest the food easier?

i personally have 2 large glasses of water before every meal to curb my appetite... drink water as required throughout the day.

3. How should I calculate a canned foods nutrional value when I don't drink the juice the fruit is packaged with?

Use the information on the package... if you happen to eat 100 less calories a day because of this it won't be a big deal.

4. When calculating the cals burnt per minute during a workout, does that exclude the 30 second break between sets? btw what cals are burnt in 30-40second sets?

Forget calculating the calories burnt during either cardio or weight lifting... any calculations you do are simply rough estimates... if you are trying to lose weight ensure that you have a calorie deficit in your diet and then get bi-weekly or monthly bodyfat testing done as well as using the scale and the mirror to judge your progress.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 07:56:01 AM »
eating every two and a half hours is just a horseshit myth spread by the supplement companies to buy protein products because they know that most people aren't going to eat solid food that often, your body doesn't know the difference if you get 6 meals in or 3 for the day as long as you get in the right amount of calories and protein at the end of the day.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 12:54:14 AM »
eating every two and a half hours is just a horseshit myth spread by the supplement companies to buy protein products because they know that most people aren't going to eat solid food that often, your body doesn't know the difference if you get 6 meals in or 3 for the day as long as you get in the right amount of calories and protein at the end of the day.

i agree

YorkTown

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 03:04:07 AM »
Sometimes I do eat every 2 to 2 1/2 hours. My portions are small sicne I wanted to lsoe weight.

I did say eat every 2 - 4 hours though. Not every 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

I've started eating frozen veggies again. Feels like a brick in my gut. So I didnt feel hungray till about 4 1/2 hours after my previous meal. I jsut cant eat without feeling a bit hungry. It's weird to me.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 07:00:29 AM »

I disagree.  There is plenty of reputable evidence that your metabolism reacts to more frequent meals and that 3 feedings are not optimal.  For example, why don't you just eat one 3500 calorie meal for the day with 300g of protein in one sitting?  Most here would probably agree that such a regimen would not be advisable.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 07:06:05 AM »
Uhhhh... no I don't think so.  Your metabolism certainly knows whether you're eating more frequently.  Why don't you just eat one 3500 calorie meal for the day with 300g of protein in one sitting?  I'd love to see the results you'd get from that!
tell that to Serge Nubret who had twice as much muscle as you that's exactly what he used to do.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 09:18:49 AM »
tell that to Serge Nubret who had twice as much muscle as you that's exactly what he used to do.

OK and tell that to Jay Cutler who eats every two hours including during the night. 
You can always point to someone somewhere who does something out of the norm and gets results, big deal.  Listen, it's extremely illogical to point to any of these guys who are: (1) likely genetically superior to the average person and (2) ingesting performance enhancing substances that most (or many) of us are not taking.  I think the point stands unless you have some science to back your point.

efirkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 10:26:59 AM »
I always wondered why we feed our pets only once to twice a day, but feed ourselves around the clock almost.

There is also lots of evidence that eating less increases one's life span also. 

So does eating less mean less meals or less calories in a day?

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 10:29:36 AM »
Your metabolism speeds up while you've got food in your stomach and are digesting it...

Your metabolism slows down (albeit very gradually) every minute that you do not have food in your system...

So eating more frequently, keeps your metabolism raised throughout the day.

Also, your body can only use so many calories at once.  So even if you're in a caloric deficit for the day, you might still store fat after a a large meal - you just happen to burn it off the same day.  However, if you only eat small meals, more frequently, you won't store any fat during the day, and will still burn the same amount - net effect - more fat is lost in that day.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 01:59:03 PM »
This says it pretty straight forward  ;)
Taken from sherdog.net

Metabolic function for dummies (why the numbers aren't ALL there is to it).

"Okay, so this thread is born out of the routine posting up here of "calories in vs calories out is THE important thing when considering weight gain/loss." I've long said it isn't, it's AN important thing, but there is no THE important thing because of some variables that occur in the human body that thwart this idea. So here I'm going to spell it out once and for all, that you don't just "eat more" to gain LEAN MUSCLE MASS. The holes in this theory are as follows, wether anyone likes it or not:

1) The body adapts to caloric intake being raised or lowered. Let's say for instance you're in a cutting phase. So you lower your caloric intake to tentatively burn stored bodyfat. As a shock to your system this will straight-away work quickly. However, you will inevitably plateau. This is because your body will systematically adjust to raised and lowered caloric intake by either burning or storing lesser or more calories. This is why everyone, when cutting or bulking, hits plateaus.

2) Some calories are more readily stored as BODY FAT. Yes, it's true. There is a reason for this, though. Out of carbohydrates, protein, and dietary fat, the fat is the most fattening (fat fattening...who'da thunk it!?). The reason is because as the body digests these macronutrients it requires the burning of calories to do so. Digesting fat requires the FEWEST amount of calores burned to digest (2-3 times less than carbs, 10 times less than protein). Thus, dietary fat yields the greatest net caloric intake for BODYFAT STORAGE.

3) Your hormones shift as you shift your caloric intake drastically. The most pertinent factor here is that high protein yields high IGF (Insulin Growth Factors) in the body, regardless of overall caloric intake. So it's important that a good bulk of (most of) your net caloric intake come from lean protein sources, not just any old food you can find that has high calories.

4) Glycemic Index impacts fat storage. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition concluded that low GI eating supports processing of bodyfat even with high calories. Carbs that convert slower to glucose are more benefitial because they hinder bodyfat storage by affecting insulin secretion (meaning they do not cause insulin spikes). High GI foods used as a dietary staple for gaining mass will lead to greater bodyfat storage as insulin levels are spiked, high insulin levels make the body EXTREMELY efficient at storing fat.

5) Meal Frequency affects your metabolism. This is why how many meals per day you eat is important. You would be better served with 7 meals per day as opposed to 4 or 5. Why? Because every time you eat your metabolism increases a little and cortisol is suppressed. I don't think I need to further elaborate on that.

6) Time of day affects your metabolism. Oh no, here comes the voodoo about eating o'clock. It's long been known that insulin sensitivity is greater later on in the day, thus higher calories from any old source later in the day means insulin spiking, which means greater fat storage and possibly, diabetes.

Summation: - The numbers are also a factor, but they are far from the ONLY factor. They are a good bottom-line to go by, but not a nutritional guideline. Anyone who tells you otherwise and says "oh it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you have good protein and a lot of calories" without giving you the above information is tentatively steering you towards not only becoming FATTER, but also possibly having cholesterol problems, being diabetic, and having blood-pressure problems, all of which are more-times-than-not the result of terrible eating habits. And no, I repeat, NO...training alone will not alleviate these problems. In fact they may only serve to further complicate them. Now, leave us consider one thing now that many of you young impressionable people have read this. THIS IS NOT TO BE TAKEN AS GOSPEL. Why? It all kind of sounds okay doesn't it? Sure. Common sense will serve you well (on the flipside, lack of common sense will not avail your nutritional goals no matter how dilligently you stick to a single school of thought) here, but there is one variable NONE OF US can evade.

EVERYONE'S PHYSIOLOGY IS SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT. This means that some of these things apply moreso to some of you than they do to others. As well as some of you may not even BE affected by some of these things and others very health may depend on them. So regardless of information, YOU have to take your Health as YOUR OWN responsibility. Much the same as you do your intelligence. Meaning, before any of you dolts asks me to cite sources and shit think about this:

No. I'm not going to debate with you. Make your own decision wether you believe it or not. I will not do your thinking for you in terms of your own body. Furthermore, I will not attempt to stand on the shoulders of people who have done extensive studies and research and profess to know for FACT things I have only seen on a document. There is no need to attempt to substitute someone else's intelligence for your own. There is a subtle difference between relaying information, and representing onesself as a false prophet, if you get my meaning. Someone tells you something, if it smells like bullshit then chances are it is. If it sounds reasonable chances are it MIGHT be true enough to apply to you. And I'll tell you what sounds like bullshit to me.

Simply "eating more" to gain LEAN MUSCLE MASS. If this were true overeaters would be the most muscular people around with some exercise. I have an Uncle who is a trucker, and unloads and loads shit from his trucks on a daily basis, which equates to as strenuous a workout as most weight regimens. And he's FAT. How? He eats like shit, end of story. Plus, if this were true there would be NO SUCH THING as hardgainers. Almost every twig I've ever met looking to put on weight eats like a fucking horse as it is. Why then are they still skinny? See above. The foods they eat do NOTHING to combat their metabolic processes that keep them from storing MUSCLE.

You do NOT have to risk health complications to gain weight. There is a reason most bodybuilders, ESPECIALLY those over 250lbs eat "healthy" (despite occasional cheating) and stay relatively the same weight. There is also a reason bodybuilders (and any athlete for that matter) who do not abide by sensible eating habits look and are fatter during their off-seasons when they gourge themselves with un-healthy food. This isn't fucking brain surgery people."
:

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 03:08:38 PM »
This says it pretty straight forward  ;)
Taken from sherdog.net

Metabolic function for dummies (why the numbers aren't ALL there is to it).

"Okay, so this thread is born out of the routine posting up here of "calories in vs calories out is THE important thing when considering weight gain/loss." I've long said it isn't, it's AN important thing, but there is no THE important thing because of some variables that occur in the human body that thwart this idea. So here I'm going to spell it out once and for all, that you don't just "eat more" to gain LEAN MUSCLE MASS. The holes in this theory are as follows, wether anyone likes it or not:

1) The body adapts to caloric intake being raised or lowered. Let's say for instance you're in a cutting phase. So you lower your caloric intake to tentatively burn stored bodyfat. As a shock to your system this will straight-away work quickly. However, you will inevitably plateau. This is because your body will systematically adjust to raised and lowered caloric intake by either burning or storing lesser or more calories. This is why everyone, when cutting or bulking, hits plateaus.

2) Some calories are more readily stored as BODY FAT. Yes, it's true. There is a reason for this, though. Out of carbohydrates, protein, and dietary fat, the fat is the most fattening (fat fattening...who'da thunk it!?). The reason is because as the body digests these macronutrients it requires the burning of calories to do so. Digesting fat requires the FEWEST amount of calores burned to digest (2-3 times less than carbs, 10 times less than protein). Thus, dietary fat yields the greatest net caloric intake for BODYFAT STORAGE.

3) Your hormones shift as you shift your caloric intake drastically. The most pertinent factor here is that high protein yields high IGF (Insulin Growth Factors) in the body, regardless of overall caloric intake. So it's important that a good bulk of (most of) your net caloric intake come from lean protein sources, not just any old food you can find that has high calories.

4) Glycemic Index impacts fat storage. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition concluded that low GI eating supports processing of bodyfat even with high calories. Carbs that convert slower to glucose are more benefitial because they hinder bodyfat storage by affecting insulin secretion (meaning they do not cause insulin spikes). High GI foods used as a dietary staple for gaining mass will lead to greater bodyfat storage as insulin levels are spiked, high insulin levels make the body EXTREMELY efficient at storing fat.

5) Meal Frequency affects your metabolism. This is why how many meals per day you eat is important. You would be better served with 7 meals per day as opposed to 4 or 5. Why? Because every time you eat your metabolism increases a little and cortisol is suppressed. I don't think I need to further elaborate on that.

6) Time of day affects your metabolism. Oh no, here comes the voodoo about eating o'clock. It's long been known that insulin sensitivity is greater later on in the day, thus higher calories from any old source later in the day means insulin spiking, which means greater fat storage and possibly, diabetes.

Summation: - The numbers are also a factor, but they are far from the ONLY factor. They are a good bottom-line to go by, but not a nutritional guideline. Anyone who tells you otherwise and says "oh it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you have good protein and a lot of calories" without giving you the above information is tentatively steering you towards not only becoming FATTER, but also possibly having cholesterol problems, being diabetic, and having blood-pressure problems, all of which are more-times-than-not the result of terrible eating habits. And no, I repeat, NO...training alone will not alleviate these problems. In fact they may only serve to further complicate them. Now, leave us consider one thing now that many of you young impressionable people have read this. THIS IS NOT TO BE TAKEN AS GOSPEL. Why? It all kind of sounds okay doesn't it? Sure. Common sense will serve you well (on the flipside, lack of common sense will not avail your nutritional goals no matter how dilligently you stick to a single school of thought) here, but there is one variable NONE OF US can evade.

EVERYONE'S PHYSIOLOGY IS SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT. This means that some of these things apply moreso to some of you than they do to others. As well as some of you may not even BE affected by some of these things and others very health may depend on them. So regardless of information, YOU have to take your Health as YOUR OWN responsibility. Much the same as you do your intelligence. Meaning, before any of you dolts asks me to cite sources and shit think about this:

No. I'm not going to debate with you. Make your own decision wether you believe it or not. I will not do your thinking for you in terms of your own body. Furthermore, I will not attempt to stand on the shoulders of people who have done extensive studies and research and profess to know for FACT things I have only seen on a document. There is no need to attempt to substitute someone else's intelligence for your own. There is a subtle difference between relaying information, and representing onesself as a false prophet, if you get my meaning. Someone tells you something, if it smells like bullshit then chances are it is. If it sounds reasonable chances are it MIGHT be true enough to apply to you. And I'll tell you what sounds like bullshit to me.

Simply "eating more" to gain LEAN MUSCLE MASS. If this were true overeaters would be the most muscular people around with some exercise. I have an Uncle who is a trucker, and unloads and loads shit from his trucks on a daily basis, which equates to as strenuous a workout as most weight regimens. And he's FAT. How? He eats like shit, end of story. Plus, if this were true there would be NO SUCH THING as hardgainers. Almost every twig I've ever met looking to put on weight eats like a fucking horse as it is. Why then are they still skinny? See above. The foods they eat do NOTHING to combat their metabolic processes that keep them from storing MUSCLE.

You do NOT have to risk health complications to gain weight. There is a reason most bodybuilders, ESPECIALLY those over 250lbs eat "healthy" (despite occasional cheating) and stay relatively the same weight. There is also a reason bodybuilders (and any athlete for that matter) who do not abide by sensible eating habits look and are fatter during their off-seasons when they gourge themselves with un-healthy food. This isn't fucking brain surgery people."
that's the biggest pile of horeshit i've ever read.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 03:12:46 PM »
I disagree.  There is plenty of reputable evidence that your metabolism reacts to more frequent meals and that 3 feedings are not optimal.  For example, why don't you just eat one 3500 calorie meal for the day with 300g of protein in one sitting?  Most here would probably agree that such a regimen would not be advisable.
I disagree as well. i don't need evidence..i proved it to myself.
bodybuildersreality.com

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 03:50:47 PM »

Don't let the facts get in the way.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 08:42:01 PM »

There is also lots of evidence that eating less increases one's life span also. 

So does eating less mean less meals or less calories in a day?

Less total calories.
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2006, 08:47:40 PM »

What is a hore  ???

Actually, I could pull a few studies out there supporting ('proving') there's no difference between 3 meals/day -vs- 6 (with the overall calories the same), so ultimately, ya gotta go with what works for you.  Personally, 3 hours is my limit; anything over that, get the flock out of my way ;)
:

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2006, 04:39:49 AM »
Don't let the facts get in the way.

hahahaha.... getbig.com thanks the spudfather for his idiotic contributions