Author Topic: HOW MUCH DOES A PUMP ADD TO MUSCLE SIZE?  (Read 8667 times)

kicker

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: HOW MUCH DOES A PUMP ADD TO MUSCLE SIZE?
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2006, 05:41:57 PM »
I train for strength (and therefore size), not for pumps  8)

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2006, 06:07:42 PM »
I train for strength (and therefore size), not for pumps  8)

Only a pump will give you a formable physique!
just push some weight!

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2006, 07:35:06 PM »

you are horrible at using the English language.

word is formidable

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2006, 04:22:53 AM »
Wrong,
a good diet/low fat wil give you a good physique,
it's got nothing to do with pump.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2006, 06:45:23 AM »
get on the floor and do 100 pushups. you will get a great pump, but you won't grow anywhere near the potential of heavy progressive weight training.

marines do pushups all day long. they must have massive chests right?

they dont eat enough
A

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2006, 03:33:01 PM »
you are horrible at using the English language.

word is formidable

Stop flirting with danger young lad.
just push some weight!

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2006, 06:07:35 PM »
Stop flirting with danger young lad.

stop flirting with muscle bears.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2006, 06:22:31 PM »
stop flirting with muscle bears.

How dare you!
just push some weight!

Cerberus2k7

• Getbig II
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2006, 10:52:28 PM »
n00b question, but its damn near impossible for me to get pump in my arms, but when I do deads, I get it VERY quickly.  Is that just because I have more blood flowing in that portion of my body, or because that's one of my weaker muscle groups?  Just curious since i've been training my lowerback/abs a lot more lately.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2006, 01:24:34 PM »
I have never heard of anyone getting a pump in the arms from deads. Maybe the forearm but the bis/tris??? Surely it must be a weak area for you.

ARTI

• Getbig II
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2006, 02:08:02 PM »
I can pump 'em up an inch. After a good bi and tri day. Supersets help.
My arms are: 18" cold, hanging,
                   19" cold, flexed,
                    20" pumped, flexed.
SlackJaw Fagets

ARTI

• Getbig II
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2006, 02:13:38 PM »
They say a great pump is necesary for muscle growth...all the influx of nutrients and blood helps...so If your lifitng super heavy, but arent getting a good pump, this is not conducive to anabolism.

Powerlifters are walking proof that you don't need a pump or to take sets to or past failure the increase muscle size.
We lift heavy with long rests, very rarely doing more than 8 reps. If nothing else powerlifters are THICK.
SlackJaw Fagets

Cerberus2k7

• Getbig II
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2006, 11:21:28 PM »
I have never heard of anyone getting a pump in the arms from deads. Maybe the forearm but the bis/tris??? Surely it must be a weak area for you.

I meant in that area of the body that youre currently working on.  Some areas seem to trigger it easier than others.  Just wondering why.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2006, 11:30:11 PM »
You can just as easily get a pump in your arms as you do in your back. It all depends on how YOU train. Have you achieved an arm pump through a different training protocol? Have you even tried another? Just play around and you will find what works.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2006, 08:29:59 AM »
You can just as easily get a pump in your arms as you do in your back. It all depends on how YOU train. Have you achieved an arm pump through a different training protocol? Have you even tried another? Just play around and you will find what works.
#

Recently started variation of HIT....2day was chest/arms, im sitting here sipping protein shake through straw (lol) and can barely lift my arms, the pump after uv performed a set to failure then rest/paused for like 10 breathes then gone again to failure, then dropped weight 35% then gone to failure followed by another rest/pause is nuts. But that nice feeling at same time. lol.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

Cerberus2k7

• Getbig II
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2006, 11:19:37 PM »

AFAIK i've never gotten pump from working my arms.  I've gotten arm pump from motocross, but that's a whole different story. :p  I mean, I *may* have gotten it before but it was light.  But the sensation in my back when I get it is like.....DAMN!  I still have a lot to learn in terms of workout formats.  I just go, train two parts of my body at a time and use 3 different excercises to work that specific muscle group.  And I don't usually go to failure so that may be the issue?

DVSGOD

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2006, 01:30:19 AM »
I think you need both , train heavy enough to destroy the muscle and get a pump at the same time  ;D

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2006, 01:41:31 AM »

no

pump =  +.25-.5  on each muscle worked
pump weight = 2-6lb  depends on what drugs youre  on and diet/water intake.
natural guys pump will be at ~ 2-3lb,,starting weight 180,,,end of work out weight = 182-183lb
any one who stays in the gym for over 60 min is a moron that likes to talk between sets.  what you didnt achieve within first 45min wont be achieved after 2 hours

How in the hell can you gain weight by getting a pump? That makes no sense to me.A pump is the blood filling the muscle,but you are not MAKING more blood..it is just the blood you already have.What is the extra weight?

DVSGOD

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2006, 01:55:11 AM »

How in the hell can you gain weight by getting a pump? That makes no sense to me.A pump is the blood filling the muscle,but you are not MAKING more blood..it is just the blood you already have.What is the extra weight?
Agree

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2006, 05:01:15 AM »

no

pump =  +.25-.5  on each muscle worked
pump weight = 2-6lb  depends on what drugs youre  on and diet/water intake.
natural guys pump will be at ~ 2-3lb,,starting weight 180,,,end of work out weight = 182-183lb
any one who stays in the gym for over 60 min is a moron that likes to talk between sets.  what you didnt achieve within first 45min wont be achieved after 2 hours

omg, gh getyour ass on here and explain this quick.

that has got to be one of the most obtuse statements on get big ever.

gh15

• Getbig V
  • angels
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2006, 01:22:22 PM »
omg, gh getyour ass on here and explain this quick.

that has got to be one of the most obtuse statements on get big ever.

your pump "weight" will depends on what products you use,,
pump= blood rush and water weight
water weight will be influenced by the product you inject. example: if you injected 3units gh before training or 80mcg igf1lr3,,,you will have max pump at the end of your session,,,add dianabol to it and you will fly high with sometimes up to 8lb of "pump-water weight gain" after your session ends. it is similar to your weight difference upon waking up and before going to sleep,,,jason body shows it the best,,he is a good example of a bodybuilder that wake up 285 and will go to sleep 293-295 at times.

those are not real solid poundage,,,but if work with correctly and eating at the right time and enough,,it will become solid after coulple months,,

your muscles love the pump,,,your muscle love water,,,if supplied with enough nutrients they will grow under those conditions,,and that is why we go through  bulk stages in bodybuilding.

pump is diff for natural guys,,,it is to a lesser degree POUNDAGE WIZE but is still there because its only blood rush to the muscles worked.

from my experience the typical individual will gainn .25-.5 inch on each muscle worked after the session is over.

pump weight will be at around 5lb depending on diet and products youre on,,,natural guys will be at around 3lb ALTHOUGH if you didnt eat and drink for 10 hours,,woke up and went training,,,you will obviously "gain" ~5lb at the end of the session wether youre on,,,off,,,natural or alien.

what im talkin about is rough numbers for constant in training bodybuilders who are on strict schedule of training and have plenty of calories to eat.

lastly,,,i find that if you need to be in the gym over 60 min,,,then you either do something wrong or simply like to socialize with the local hoes. in this day and age you dont wanna be 200lb off and 165lb on,,,this era is the era of big bodybuilders,,,you dont get to be big by sittinng at the gym for 3 hours 7 days  week. ripped cut and chiseled - yes,,, big as in high muscle mass,,um no.
fallen angel

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2006, 05:23:25 PM »

your pump "weight" will depends on what products you use,,
pump= blood rush and water weight
water weight will be influenced by the product you inject. example: if you injected 3units gh before training or 80mcg igf1lr3,,,you will have max pump at the end of your session,,,add dianabol to it and you will fly high with sometimes up to 8lb of "pump-water weight gain" after your session ends. it is similar to your weight difference upon waking up and before going to sleep,,,jason body shows it the best,,he is a good example of a bodybuilder that wake up 285 and will go to sleep 293-295 at times.

those are not real solid poundage,,,but if work with correctly and eating at the right time and enough,,it will become solid after coulple months,,

your muscles love the pump,,,your muscle love water,,,if supplied with enough nutrients they will grow under those conditions,,and that is why we go through  bulk stages in bodybuilding.

pump is diff for natural guys,,,it is to a lesser degree POUNDAGE WIZE but is still there because its only blood rush to the muscles worked.

from my experience the typical individual will gainn .25-.5 inch on each muscle worked after the session is over.

pump weight will be at around 5lb depending on diet and products youre on,,,natural guys will be at around 3lb ALTHOUGH if you didnt eat and drink for 10 hours,,woke up and went training,,,you will obviously "gain" ~5lb at the end of the session wether youre on,,,off,,,natural or alien.

what im talkin about is rough numbers for constant in training bodybuilders who are on strict schedule of training and have plenty of calories to eat.

lastly,,,i find that if you need to be in the gym over 60 min,,,then you either do something wrong or simply like to socialize with the local hoes. in this day and age you dont wanna be 200lb off and 165lb on,,,this era is the era of big bodybuilders,,,you dont get to be big by sittinng at the gym for 3 hours 7 days  week. ripped cut and chiseled - yes,,, big as in high muscle mass,,um no.

i don't disagree with you on almost all the points you've made, but i just can't see how it is possible to gain BODYWEIGHT from a pump by itself during a work out, to the exclusion of ANY consumption of food or water during the work out.

if your making the point that, along with the pump, one is consuming water/electrolites/food/beverage or a combination of all 3 then i would have no reason to doubt you. with the combination of insulin, gh and steroids, no doubt you would be retaining water and glycogen immediately ie you would weigh more at end of work out.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2006, 05:25:46 PM »
i don't disagree with you on almost all the points you've made, but i just can't see how it is possible to gain BODYWEIGHT from a pump by itself during a work out, to the exclusion of ANY consumption of food or water during the work out.

if your making the point that, along with the pump, one is consuming water/electrolites/food/beverage or a combination of all 3 then i would have no reason to doubt you. with the combination of insulin, gh and steroids, no doubt you would be retaining water and glycogen immediately ie you would weigh more at end of work out.

That is my opinion as well...WHERE does the extra weight come from if you do not eat or drink anything?

IceCold

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2006, 08:37:19 AM »
Here is another question: Does a pump equal muscle growth or does the weight lifted make the muscle bigger?

i think you need both.

if you were to bench 135 for 4 sets of 15-20 reps, you would get a great pump.  but you did not tear anything down or give your body a reason to grow.

if you were to bench 405 for 2 reps, you would tear down fibers, but have no pump in the muscle.

you need to do both - lift heavy to tear fibers down so they rebuild bigger and stronger as well as get a pump.  (the process is too long too type).

i remember makrus ruhl saying how his goal is to get a pump from very heavy weights and low - moderate reps. 

that should be your goal. 
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL ABBOTT (1966-2004)

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2006, 12:35:27 PM »
i think you need both.

if you were to bench 135 for 4 sets of 15-20 reps, you would get a great pump.  but you did not tear anything down or give your body a reason to grow.

if you were to bench 405 for 2 reps, you would tear down fibers, but have no pump in the muscle.

you need to do both - lift heavy to tear fibers down so they rebuild bigger and stronger as well as get a pump.  (the process is too long too type).

i remember makrus ruhl saying how his goal is to get a pump from very heavy weights and low - moderate reps. 

that should be your goal. 

That makes sense!
just push some weight!