Author Topic: buying protein powder for first time  (Read 7860 times)

Rhino

• Getbig IV
  • Jesus Christ is lord and savior
Re: buying protein powder for first time
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2006, 10:40:35 AM »
Yeah, well I'm smarter now. I hung with a National competitor awhile back, and I learned the truth about what works. I'm telling you: take that money and spend it on food!!!

Oh yeah, and juice helped him a little too. Even he admits that.
X

Carmello

• Getbig III
  • Believe it or not. Your choice.
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2006, 04:36:25 PM »
Probably get hell for this.....but GNC's 100% whey protein is decent priced.  When I worked their in college, Optimum Nutrition actually manufactured the stuff for Gnc....or at least that's what we were told....dont' know if it's still true, but ....I've tried the GNC stuff and It's absolutely identical in taste to the ON stuff. 
I was told by a GNC manager that Prolab manufactures the GNC protein. He seemed to know alot about other stuff. It could be wrong, but it wasn't the first time I heard it either.
CEA999

Carmello

• Getbig III
  • Believe it or not. Your choice.
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2006, 04:51:09 PM »
By the whey, I don't like wasting money. If u buy that value crap, u might as well be drinking Quik, or blend up your money and pour it down the drain. You want real protein? Go with a Beverly International product like Muscle Provider, or UMP, both from Beverly. Also, my personal favorite is Syntha-6 by BSN. I've tried all the protein products over the years, from ON's 100% Whey, to Musclemilk, and nothing has kept my waist leaner, while adding muscle better than these products. Spend the extra cash. Better to put your money into something that works, than throw it away on that value crap! Just my experience, and opinion.
CEA999

VICIOUS_BEAST

• Getbig II
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2006, 08:04:13 PM »
THE BEAST USES VITAMIN SHOPPE BRAND OF PROTIEN. 5LBS FOR $24..THEN I MIX IN CREATINE FROM TARGET...BODY FORTRESS 5LBS FOR $12...MIX IT ALL UP AND ITS ALL GOOD...... ;D ;D

Rhino

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2006, 11:01:01 AM »
By the whey, I don't like wasting money. If u buy that value crap, u might as well be drinking Quik, or blend up your money and pour it down the drain. You want real protein? Go with a Beverly International product like Muscle Provider, or UMP, both from Beverly. Also, my personal favorite is Syntha-6 by BSN. I've tried all the protein products over the years, from ON's 100% Whey, to Musclemilk, and nothing has kept my waist leaner, while adding muscle better than these products. Spend the extra cash. Better to put your money into something that works, than throw it away on that value crap! Just my experience, and opinion.

Or you can just eat real food. \
long live whole foods.
X

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
  • From the outside looking in you cant understand it
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2006, 01:47:33 AM »
Or you can just eat real food. \
long live whole foods.

get back to the kitchen. your chicken breast is burning  ::)
Go Big Red!!!

Rhino

• Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2006, 10:47:00 AM »
anyone use caesin (sp?) before bed? if so what kind? seem beneficial?

errr....yeah...It's called cottage cheese and/or yogurt.  ;D
X

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2006, 02:48:15 PM »
errr....yeah...It's called cottage cheese and/or yogurt.  ;D
Well, it's found in cottage cheese. Breaks down slowly so eating some before bed can help minimize catabolism while sleeping.

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2006, 03:30:00 PM »
n-large2 is good stuff. if you are a "hardgainer" you can try mega mass 4000. (i think that's the name) it has something like 82 grams of protein per serving!  ;)

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2006, 10:29:02 AM »
While there is some research pointing to soy as an effective protein source, it has somewhat of a checkered reputation for my taste.  I stick with whey (most easily absorbed) and then milke or egg based protein for nighttime consumption.

I'm with you on that one.  Some studies say it's gender specific meaning guys get the testosterone and woman get  estrogen's benefits, but I'm not convinced and will stick to milk based proteins, although I'm kinda interested in the hemp based protein.  I haven't seen it anywhere, but the benefits and amino's in hemp have been universally expounded.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2006, 10:59:07 AM »
I'm kinda interested in the hemp based protein.  I haven't seen it anywhere, but the benefits and amino's in hemp have been universally expounded.

Interesting.  Any details or links you'd like to share?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2006, 09:12:27 PM »
no shit. i get tired of all the jackasses and their 'whole food' crap. not everyone has the time to eat 10 whole food meals a day.

try Optimum Nutrition. tastes great and is reasonably priced

I just got some yesterday, a 5-lb jug for $20. Optimum's 100% Whey Gold Standard is good stuff. Other good products are GNC 100% Whey Protein and Soy & Whey Protein, especially if it's marked down and you get it during Gold Card week. EAS MyoPro Protein is also a good buy.