Author Topic: On the road to DOMS  (Read 14190 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: On the road to DOMS
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2006, 08:30:00 AM »
do you guys not agree that , whatever 'method' takes the most 'effort' will probably work the best?....this means short restperiods everyset to FAILURE over a long ass grueling workout, it doesnt get any harder than that

Sounds good but i think you have to try different ways, all involving similar intensity of effort & failure, then compare DOMS and development. In other words, try longer rests with heavier weight, try standard 1 minute rests + negative failure using partials, cheats, negatives, etc. then compare.

i have trained to failure for 10 years and have had DOMS every freakin day (different parts).  I think my size and strength speak for themselves. 

DOMS is a huge clue that you're doing something right, assuming moderate rep ranges and the use of fairly heavy but not overwhelming weight. The only thing addition would be to occasionally try different routines to see how DOMS or development compares to existing means.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2006, 11:33:31 AM »
if you only work one muscle group for 1-2 hours straight you are garanteed development everysingle workout only if calories are high
A

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2006, 11:43:37 AM »
if you only work one muscle group for 1-2 hours straight you are garanteed development everysingle workout only if calories are high
Where did you get that? It's easily possible to overwork the muscle, resulting in loss of size.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2006, 11:51:10 AM »
Where did you get that? It's easily possible to overwork the muscle, resulting in loss of size.

ok so like there is some magical reprange?? or magical amount of sets and reps i highly doubtit. gaining muscle is about how much effort over time PERIOD

you can put 100% effort (hitting failure) into one or 2 sets and thats HIT

you can put 100% effort (hitting failure)into 100 sets with short rest peroids as possible

your hitting failure in both routines, its not hard to see which routine would logically be better

BUT you will not grow on EITHER if you are eating LOW FAT or LOW CARBS
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2006, 11:53:25 AM »

have you ever spent hours doing pushups or curls? probably not because if you did while eating a shitload of food your muscles that you worked will be considerably bigger from the workout and nutrient influx and other things. you grow (expand) while you workout you REPAIR in your SLEEP
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2006, 12:06:59 PM »
it annoyes me that these hitters some how magically can do 110 % in one set or 2 or whatever low volume protocol. you can only give 100% (hitting failure, or your maximum that your muscles will allow). you can only do the maximum (reps, poundage ect) that your muscles will allow ON ANY GIVEN SET. so "HITers" are no more intense than the next man. the mental part comes in when how long you want to actually stay in the gym and untill your energy stores (carbs and fat) are basically empty, then when this wall hits its time to get in some high fat and high carbs back into your body and continue training. it would be great to find something 'practical' that took less time, i guess you could just take steroids if you want to not spend a long time in the gym and have a fantastic physique.  i guess working EXTREMELY hard for something is not something some of you people were taught as children....
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2006, 01:58:38 PM »
my current routine in case you guys were interested is picking only ONE exercise but doing it 1-2 hours so you are basically only working one segment of the body part (peck deck mainly for upper chest) or long distance running at a fast pace for an hour (working hip flexors and hamstrings both get sore). i could do standing cleans bodybuilder style for 1-1.5 hours (working mainly traps and upper back).
A

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2006, 02:49:36 PM »
really wish we could kick-out the unexperienced lifters from cluttering this thread and make bold statements that this or that work or do not. like someone else said you become and expert after many many years in the iron game

What's this about and why the pic of a so-so physique - the point is... ???

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2006, 03:11:33 PM »
What's this about and why the pic of a so-so physique - the point is... ???

you're  hater, obviously. and i wasnt even directing it at you , but you got offended so obviously you are a newbie and think you know everything because of 'what you read'
A

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2006, 05:05:07 PM »
daddywaddy how long have you been training and what was your height,weight, and how fat were you when you first began?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2006, 07:01:08 PM »
you're  hater, obviously. and i wasnt even directing it at you , but you got offended so obviously you are a newbie and think you know everything because of 'what you read'

You don't make a lot of sense and are talking AT, not with anyone else. No idea from your babbling who you're talking about, you didn't bother to tell us did you? Basically your posts seem to be about informing us that you know the truth along with a pic of an ok physique that proves what?

It's interesting to hear training perspectives of those who don't preach.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2006, 08:57:17 PM »
Pumpster has paid his dues and has been around a long time. He is not a beginner nor a knucklehead. I consider him a student of hypertrophy.

It is one thing to post thinking you alone know the truth and quite another to post and discuss the issues. The test of truth here is not the physique of the speaker, although that is important. The test of truth is whether others could gain rapidly using your method. It is possible, but highly unlikely, that some informed beginner might stumble upon the correct method of hypertrophy.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2006, 06:47:33 AM »
Pumpster has paid his dues and has been around a long time. He is not a beginner nor a knucklehead. I consider him a student of hypertrophy.

It is one thing to post thinking you alone know the truth and quite another to post and discuss the issues. The test of truth here is not the physique of the speaker, although that is important. The test of truth is whether others could gain rapidly using your method. It is possible, but highly unlikely, that some informed beginner might stumble upon the correct method of hypertrophy.

if your physique sucks then you are just all talk. i know what works
A

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2006, 07:26:53 AM »
I think VB discussed something like this in a prior thread:

In The Rader Master Bodybuilding and Weight Gaining System, the program he developed could add up to 3/4 of an inch to a trainees arms in one day.

The program goes like this - pick a day when you can do nothing but train, eat and rest. You use just two exercises, one for triceps and one for biceps, and you do a set of each every hour for 12 hours. Use a weight lighter then your usual poundage's, and do not work to failure. Eating some protein every hour, massaging the muscles after each workout and to resting all you can, were also recommended.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2006, 09:52:27 AM »
The classic one day arm system, that The Pumpster offered, had been responsible for 1/16 to at least 1/4 inch(or more) permanent growth on some men. I've seem a few guy's gain from it. Can also be used on the delts & calves with effective results. Doesn't always work that well with larger muscle groups.

The game plan is to set aside a full day, usually 2 day's before and 2 or 3 day's after a regular workout. Taking a protein shake(s) will be a lot easier than trying to eat a full meal during the day, though a good breakfast is encouraged before starting. The idea is to keep a new supply of blood with-in the arms all day. At each hour (on the dot...important) a light set of tricep and bicep (1 to 2 sets each SS'ed usually...most say 1 set only...10 reps) are done. Do not grunt out the reps, these are just light pumping movements, with a weight that can be easily handled. Do not go anywhere near failure, probably 3 or 4 reps before. You do not want to over tax the CNS in this method of training. Defeats the whole purpose. The usually length is 8 hours, arms every hour. This can surprisingly be draining on the nervous system if any more is done. But feel free to experiment on you self's. But the main mistake most guy's make is of using too much weight. This is light volume training. Your doing set's, but one hour apart. Good Luck.

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2006, 01:35:15 PM »
daddywaddy did you see my question above?

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2006, 01:48:05 PM »
daddywaddy how long have you been training and what was your height,weight, and how fat were you when you first began?

probably around 6feet3 or 4 at 14 weighd about 215 im guessing, i was the classic skinny fat

CAN WE PLEASE NOT DIVERT THIS THREAD TO THE 'ONE DAY ARM CURE' TYPE THREAD WE HAVE ALL READ THAT SILLY SHIT YET EVERY DUMBASS REHASHES THINGS.

A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2006, 01:49:57 PM »
one bodypart-basically either use heavy weight with longer rest but not too long or for a good 1-2 hours
one bodypart-lighter weights but not too light with short rest periods for a good 1-2 hours

you are garanteed results
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2006, 02:03:54 PM »
one could try doing leglifts with a dead hang from a pullup bar for one hour in sets of 5-10 reps (resting moderatly between sets) its a killer did that today my lats and forearms and abs really felt it
A

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2006, 02:44:32 PM »
CAN WE PLEASE NOT DIVERT THIS THREAD TO THE 'ONE DAY ARM CURE' TYPE THREAD WE HAVE ALL READ THAT SILLY SHIT YET EVERY DUMBASS REHASHES THINGS.
The thread can go in any and all directions realted to DOMs. Make contributions while sparing us your need to control the agenda here. Maybe you have ADD-discuss any/all issues without the hostility.

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2006, 03:00:19 PM »
daddywaddy what do you think of the idea that the bigger you are the more you can handle? isn't it true that the bigger you are or the fitter you are the more it takes to stimulate growth but it would also work in reverse the smaller or less trained you are the less you need?

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2006, 05:17:41 PM »
daddywaddy what do you think of the idea that the bigger you are the more you can handle? isn't it true that the bigger you are or the fitter you are the more it takes to stimulate growth but it would also work in reverse the smaller or less trained you are the less you need?

yes i agree

more food level 1 2 3 4 5

more training level 1 2 3 4 5

A

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2006, 06:50:26 PM »
Have you tried varying other areas-more rest more weight for example? I admit i've tried to do this in the past and then again in the last couple of workouts, but waiting 2 minutes between sets diminishes the pump and IMO also increases injury risk. Not sure that the weight lifted is much different.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2006, 07:01:39 PM »
Have you tried varying other areas-more rest more weight for example? I admit i've tried to do this in the past and then again in the last couple of workouts, but waiting 2 minutes between sets diminishes the pump and IMO also increases injury risk. Not sure that the weight lifted is much different.

i dont always keep 'perfect' record of time between sets but yes there are periods i may slack in that 1 to 2 hours.

more rest and more weight i would say those would be hanging leg raises because you are working out with your whole bodyweight but requires more rest between sets

forearm curls with very little weigth 55 pounds with barely any rest between sets
A

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2006, 07:10:34 PM »
more rest and more weight i would say those would be hanging leg raises because you are working out with your whole bodyweight but requires more rest between sets

What i'm saying is, let's talk about the effect/benefit on the muscle using something different like longer rests with heavier weight, or any other variation..