Author Topic: Original Golds Gym Boarded up???  (Read 5150 times)

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
Re: Original Golds Gym Boarded up???
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2006, 11:29:03 AM »
it's looked like that for at least 20 years.   it's been used as a residence for most of that time.   zillow.com lists it as a 2 bedroom 3 bath house valued at $2 million.

It would be awesome to live there, I would def live there if I had the money.
I

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2006, 11:32:49 AM »
So are you implying that the original Gold's gym had the first ever "LUNK ALARM"?

Nah he just didn't like assholes leaving weights all over the floor which is very understandable as i work in a gym and hate picking up after dicks when they are lifting weights they can barely handle. I also heard he would use rather profane language to get his point across, Keith (onlyme) should know more about this.
I

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2006, 11:38:56 AM »
it's looked like that for at least 20 years.   it's been used as a residence for most of that time.   zillow.com lists it as a 2 bedroom 3 bath house valued at $2 million.

I was going to say that before I read your post, but I didn't know it was used as a residence. I was there once when I was a kid and it tiny inside, no more than 12-1500 sqft from what I remember!

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2006, 12:10:00 PM »
Intense, I'm not sure about this but I think it was linked to one of the ajoining homes and served as a living room area. Wasn't in there since the gym closed and can only repeat what I have been told.

Only, ask Pete about that the next time ya talk to him. (I have not heard from him yet!)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2006, 12:13:04 PM »
It's really a shame to see the original Gold's Gym look like that.  :'(

Actually it's great that it's still there looking much the same other than some wear.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2006, 12:43:23 PM »
Nah he just didn't like assholes leaving weights all over the floor which is very understandable as i work in a gym and hate picking up after dicks when they are lifting weights they can barely handle. I also heard he would use rather profane language to get his point across, Keith (onlyme) should know more about this.

Joe had Tony Nowak as the "Enforcer"  Tony made sure no one caused problems there.  The gym was always kept clean and orderly.  But I remember that many people left their weights on the bars.  Like the bench press.  But I am sure there were no weights on the floor.  And I never heard say anything nasty or yell.  Maybe he did when I wasn't there.  I trained usually around 8am or so.  Thats when my training partner Ron Depolito would train.  Ron was the local pimp.  He was a white guy who had a pink corvette.  Very nutty.  He got me into lifting at Worlds.

Slick Vic

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2006, 02:26:33 PM »
Actually it's great that it's still there looking much the same other than some wear.

I meant the way they paved over the front windows and put a board up over the front door. It sucks that one can't walk by and look inside through the windows.

Beks

• Getbig III
  • " See Ya real Soon"
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2006, 04:56:08 PM »
Joe had Tony Nowak as the "Enforcer"  Tony made sure no one caused problems there.  The gym was always kept clean and orderly.  But I remember that many people left their weights on the bars.  Like the bench press.  But I am sure there were no weights on the floor.  And I never heard say anything nasty or yell.  Maybe he did when I wasn't there.  I trained usually around 8am or so.  Thats when my training partner Ron Depolito would train.  Ron was the local pimp.  He was a white guy who had a pink corvette.  Very nutty.  He got me into lifting at Worlds.

Keith...........are you familiar with who really owns this property, area around it and  recent history. You know where im going with this.

Beks

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2006, 05:48:56 AM »
The new Golds down the street is just as much fun to look at and train at.  You all can still go down to the weight pit in venice.

I miss Golds in Venice.  No Golds in America is like it.  When I played Metal in the 80's, I did a tour where I hit all the Golds gyms I could in the USA with my tour manager in every city we played in.  There is only 1 gym that compared.  Cory Eversons in Clearwater Florida.  That was Beautiful
Most are all show no go!

slummin

• Getbig II
  • BB Vips posting here encourage the growing disease
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2006, 05:04:28 PM »
I meant the way they paved over the front windows and put a board up over the front door. It sucks that one can't walk by and look inside through the windows.

Windows were blocked over even before Pumping Iron the movie was made, check the first interior Gold's shot.

The book PI that came out the previous year has many photos of the windows in place.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2006, 05:56:58 PM »
It's really a shame to see the original Gold's Gym look like that.  :'(

no one gives a shit about it but bodybuilders.  I wish someone would buy the building and open up a new gym there or a little museum of some sort.