Author Topic: Treasonous Officer Just Can't Keep His Mouth Shut  (Read 21634 times)

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
Re: Treasonous Officer Just Can't Keep His Mouth Shut
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2007, 05:30:14 PM »
If the Constitution is indeed the supreme 'law of the land', then how can language within the UCMJ trump it? 

Don't soldiers in essence give up their constitutional rights when they enter the military? I've always been under the assumption the military is seperate and distinct from the laws civilians live by and the rules that govern us.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2007, 05:46:30 PM »
If the Constitution is indeed the supreme 'law of the land', then how can language within the UCMJ trump it? 

Because there are exceptions to the First Amendment.  There are entire categories of unprotected speech.  One exception is the military.  You check much of your First Amendment rights to free speech at the MEPS station when you sign up. 

Watada is also charged with missing a movement, which doesn't have anything to do with the First Amendment.   

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2007, 07:06:41 PM »
Don't soldiers in essence give up their constitutional rights when they enter the military? I've always been under the assumption the military is seperate and distinct from the laws civilians live by and the rules that govern us.

Yes, this is contained in the paperwork that servicemembers sign and they are instructed about this verbally prior to the required signatures being rendered.

BUT, according to that same UCMJ, a servicemember cannot be held criminally responsible for refusing to follow an illegal order.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2007, 07:18:01 PM »
Watada is also charged with missing a movement, which doesn't have anything to do with the First Amendment. 

Right.

Courts-martial are notorious for doing what they want to do and can pretty much interpret the 'letter of the law' as they see fit.  There's no real appeals process and they're completely insulated from political and social pressures to do the right thing.

So, even in best-case scenario for Lt. Watada, if by some miracle he was allowed to resign his commission and to escape the most serious charges stemming from his refusal to follow all direct orders, he's still going to jail.  The 'best case' assumes that SOME military judge - somewhere - would agree that the war in Iraq is illegal.  It's not like an illegal search being thrown out in a civilian court, which would lead to all the evidence found as a result of that search being tossed.  The military is going to get its pound of flesh.  He's still going to face jail time for missing troops' movement and for endangering his fellow soldiers by missing that movement.  They can probably dig up some other stuff as well, but those are basic, and I predict he'll have to serve 12-24 months.  I cannot, however, predict what his discharge status might be, but would suspect that the best he'll be able to negotiate is an other than honorable.

Once his time is complete, I would expect him to become a professional lobbyist working to create more favorable laws for military servicemembers. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2007, 07:20:25 PM »
Right.

Courts-martial are notorious for doing what they want to do and can pretty much interpret the 'letter of the law' as they see fit.  There's no real appeals process and they're completely insulated from political and social pressures to do the right thing.

So, even in best-case scenario for Lt. Watada, if by some miracle he was allowed to resign his commission and to escape the most serious charges stemming from his refusal to follow all direct orders, he's still going to jail.  The 'best case' assumes that SOME military judge - somewhere - would agree that the war in Iraq is illegal.  It's not like an illegal search being thrown out in a civilian court, which would lead to all the evidence found as a result of that search being tossed.  The military is going to get its pound of flesh.  He's still going to face jail time for missing troops' movement and for endangering his fellow soldiers by missing that movement.  They can probably dig up some other stuff as well, but those are basic, and I predict he'll have to serve 12-24 months.  I cannot, however, predict what his discharge status might be, but would suspect that the best he'll be able to negotiate is an other than honorable.

Once his time is complete, I would expect him to become a professional lobbyist working to create more favorable laws for military servicemembers. 

Either way he gets fed and doesn't have to fight in a war he disagrees with right? Sounds like he's pretty much getting what he wanted either way.

Many people would just as soon be locked up than go fight in a war.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2007, 07:29:13 PM »
Yes, this is contained in the paperwork that servicemembers sign and they are instructed about this verbally prior to the required signatures being rendered.

BUT, according to that same UCMJ, a servicemember cannot be held criminally responsible for refusing to follow an illegal order.

But as Lt. Col. Farrell says in the editorial I posted earlier in this thread:

"As a matter of international law, it may be argued that U.N. Security Council Resolution 1441 (which authorized "all means necessary") was not a green light to invade Iraq, but it is important that we note what the U.N. has done since then. Acting under Chapter VII of the U.N. Charter, the Security Council passed Resolution 1511 in October 2003, authorizing "a multinational force under unified command to take all necessary measures to contribute to the maintenance of security and stability in Iraq." Since then, it has repeatedly reauthorized the American-led Multi-National Force Iraq. In its most recent resolution extending the force until Dec. 31, the Security Council acted at the explicit request of the sovereign government of Iraq.

How can anyone seriously claim that our military involvement in Iraq is illegal when both Congress and the U.N. have taken the steps to authorize it, and allow it to continue to this day?"

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2007, 07:32:10 PM »
But as Lt. Col. Farrell says in the editorial I posted earlier in this thread:

"As a matter of international law, it may be argued that U.N. Security Council Resolution 1441 (which authorized "all means necessary") was not a green light to invade Iraq, but it is important that we note what the U.N. has done since then. Acting under Chapter VII of the U.N. Charter, the Security Council passed Resolution 1511 in October 2003, authorizing "a multinational force under unified command to take all necessary measures to contribute to the maintenance of security and stability in Iraq." Since then, it has repeatedly reauthorized the American-led Multi-National Force Iraq. In its most recent resolution extending the force until Dec. 31, the Security Council acted at the explicit request of the sovereign government of Iraq.

How can anyone seriously claim that our military involvement in Iraq is illegal when both Congress and the U.N. have taken the steps to authorize it, and allow it to continue to this day?"

I won't disagree was hardly "illegal"... perhaps the premise was a lie, whatever... but it wasn't illegal...

The guy doesn't wanna go to war... I get it... but if they try the legality approach, they're just full of shit.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2007, 07:37:25 PM »
Right.

There is an appeals process.  In fact, there are many layers of review.  The charges probably originated with his company commander (a captain), then went to his battalion commander (a Lt. Col.), then to the brigade commander (a Col.), then the CG (a general).  An article 32 officer, similar to a grand jury, then investigates and determines whether there is enough evidence to proceed to trial.  He is then tried, in this case and at his election, by a jury of officers.  Once he is convicted he can appeal to one (or two -- I forget) military courts of appeal.  It's quite fair IMO.  

And like I posted just a minute ago, the illegal order defense is DOA.  The president ordered the invasion and numerous near unanimous bipartisan resolutions AND the UN endorsed the war.  

He'll have a nice career when he's done serving his time.  His father is a well respected and well known member of the community in Hawaii; headed up the Campaign Spending Commission and exposed a LOT of corruption during his tenure.  He is a good man.  Liberals will line up to give him a job when he's done.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2007, 07:38:25 PM »
I won't disagree was hardly "illegal"... perhaps the premise was a lie, whatever... but it wasn't illegal...

The guy doesn't wanna go to war... I get it... but if they try the legality approach, they're just full of shit.

I agree.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2007, 07:39:31 PM »

He'll have a nice career when he's done serving his time.  His father is a well respected and well known member of the community in Hawaii; headed up the Campaign Spending Commission and exposed a LOT of corruption during his tenure.  He is a good man.  Liberals will line up to give him a job when he's done. 

Then everyone wins... YAY!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2007, 08:36:00 PM »
This guy is in violation of multiple articles. He's screwed. He may get off light but it will be a federal conviction on his record and a dishonorable discharge as well. If he does jail time..jail sucks..I'm sure somebody here has either been incarcerated or been a corrections officer. He'll have alot of fun in jail.
L

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2007, 10:09:59 PM »
He'll have a lot of fun in jail.

He's going to a federal prison, not the state pen.  He'll probably quietly do his time reading about himself on the internet and publishing a blog.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2007, 10:14:06 PM »
There is an appeals process.  In fact, there are many layers of review.  The charges probably originated with his company commander (a captain), then went to his battalion commander (a Lt. Col.), then to the brigade commander (a Col.), then the CG (a general).  An article 32 officer, similar to a grand jury, then investigates and determines whether there is enough evidence to proceed to trial.  He is then tried, in this case and at his election, by a jury of officers.  Once he is convicted he can appeal to one (or two -- I forget) military courts of appeal.   

That's all fairly true, and yes, each commander has an opportunity to mete out his own punishment (and it can stop at any level going upward), but those aren't really the same as appeals...although I do like your use of the term 'layers of review'. 

Once he refused to deploy to Iraq in the absence of any mitigating circumstances (other than his opposition to the war), a court-martial was pretty much a foregone conclusion.  And once the military decides something, common sense pretty much goes out the window.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2007, 10:50:53 PM »
He's going to a federal prison, not the state pen.  He'll probably quietly do his time reading about himself on the internet and publishing a blog.

That's probably true... He'll be in there with a few high level cartel guys or those steroid guys and that's about it.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2007, 01:36:49 AM »
Yeah I know he's going to a federal Pen, actually he should be going to the DB at Leavenworth, KS. Unless his lawyers cut some kind of deal to be near his parents.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2007, 07:32:07 AM »
That's all fairly true, and yes, each commander has an opportunity to mete out his own punishment (and it can stop at any level going upward), but those aren't really the same as appeals...although I do like your use of the term 'layers of review'. 

Once he refused to deploy to Iraq in the absence of any mitigating circumstances (other than his opposition to the war), a court-martial was pretty much a foregone conclusion.  And once the military decides something, common sense pretty much goes out the window.

I should say that, although it is expressly forbidden, there is a great deal of "command influence."  I'm sure the CG made the call and every other commander fell in line. 

I also think the military justice system is very good.  Very efficient. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2007, 07:34:38 AM »
More updates:

Refusal dubbed betrayal, a disgrace
Videos of Watada's statements are shown during trial
By Melanthia Mitchell
Associated Press
FORT LEWIS, Wash. » The actions of an Army lieutenant who refused to ship out to Iraq were a betrayal and inconsistent with the behavior of a good officer, one of his commanders told a court-martial yesterday.

In opening statements, prosecutors in the case against 1st Lt. Ehren Watada said he abandoned his soldiers and brought disgrace upon himself and the service by accusing the Army of war crimes and denouncing the administration for conducting an illegal war founded on lies.

Defense attorney Eric Seitz countered that Watada, who is from Honolulu, acted in good conscience, based on his own convictions.

Prosecutors then called Lt. Col. Bruce Antonia, battalion commander for the brigade's 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment.

Antonia said he learned of Watada's concerns late in January 2006. He urged Watada not to make any public statements, Antonia said.

"I was dismayed, probably a little bit betrayed," Antonia said. "I believe what he said was that the commander in chief made decisions based on lies, that he specifically deceived the American people. That is nowhere in the realm of a lieutenant in the United States Army."

Watada, 28, is charged with missing movement for refusing to ship out with his unit, the 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division. He also faces charges of conduct unbecoming an officer for his statements against the war. If convicted, he could receive four years in prison and a dishonorable discharge.

Watada has already acknowledged he didn't get on the plane and that he made the statements in question, Seitz said in his opening statement.

"At most, he engaged in an act or form of civil disobedience," Seitz said. "No way does that add up to conduct unbecoming an officer."

Watada is the first commissioned officer to be court-martialed for refusing to go to Iraq, said Eugene Fidell, president of the National Institute of Military Justice in Washington, D.C.

Despite a sworn duty to lead his fellow soldiers, Watada sat comfortably in his office as his soldiers departed for Iraq on June 22 -- "Absent a leader they had trained with. Absent a leader they had trusted," Capt. Scott Van Sweringen, an Army prosecutor, told a seven-member panel of officers hearing the case. "He brought disgrace to himself ... and the Army."

Van Sweringen said that by Jan. 1, 2006, Watada had concluded that the Iraq war was illegal, but "rather than quietly accept the consequences of his decision" he publicly declared his intent not to deploy to Iraq.

On June 7, Watada released a video statement at a news conference in Tacoma.

"The wholesale slaughter and mistreatment of Iraqis is not only a terrible and moral injustice, but it's a contradiction to the Army's own law of land warfare," Watada said in the video.

The court watched video of Watada's statements from June and from an Aug. 12 Veterans for Peace convention in Seattle, where he told a crowd that the Bush administration had "used us for rampant violations of time-tested laws banning torture and degradation of prisoners of war."

Under cross-examination from Seitz, Antonia told the court he believed soldiers are obligated to determine for themselves whether they've been given an illegal order.

"I would expect him not to obey if the order was illegal," Antonia said, prompting several excited murmurs from spectators watching the hearing from a nearby overflow room.

Antonia stressed, however, that if the chain of command determined it to be a legal order, he would expect the officer to obey.

Earlier yesterday, Seitz said Watada had no choice but to go public after the Army refused his offers to take a combat post in Afghanistan or elsewhere, and rejected his request that he be allowed to resign.

The court also heard from a professor who teaches professional ethics at West Point and Watada's former deputy brigade commander.

Professor Richard Swain said he advises cadets that they must make a distinction between legal issues and moral issues.

"We are a nation of laws and particularly in the military, violations of laws have accountability," Swain said, adding that soldiers are not obligated to obey an illegal order.

"Moral issues are another category," he said. When a soldier arrives at a moral conflict, "Then you have to do what you have to do in the full knowledge that you will be held accountable for what you decide."

Lt. Col. William James said he counseled Watada on one of his requests for resignation, telling him not to make "a young man's mistake, not making a decision based solely on emotion."

It was important, James said, that Watada understand his responsibilities both as a citizen and as an officer who would lead soldiers.

When asked whether an officer's actions had an effect on other soldiers, he said there was little doubt.

"An officer at any level ... you are oftentimes the point of reference soldiers use for their moral compass," James said.

Because military judge Lt. Col. John Head has barred several experts in international and constitutional law from testifying about the legality of the war, Seitz said the defense will offer just two witnesses: Watada himself and an Army captain who has known him for roughly two years.

http://starbulletin.com/2007/02/07/news/story02.html

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2007, 07:46:06 AM »
I also think the military justice system is very good.  Very efficient. 

Do you believe that any higher-ups went unpunished in the abu ghirab abuse scandal?  (you know, the one where the underlings all got prison but their bosses walked scot-free?)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2007, 07:53:57 AM »
Guest editorial in today's Honolulu Advertiser by a retired Lt. Col.

Posted on: Tuesday, February 6, 2007
COMMENTARY
Watada wasn't asked to commit unlawful acts

By Col. Thomas D. Farrell (Ret.)

Volumes have been written about Lt. Ehren Watada, whose court-martial began yesterday. He's been lionized and demonized, and the rhetoric of his supporters and his detractors has reached the outer limits of hyperbole.

What has heretofore escaped rational discussion are his claims that the war in Iraq is unlawful, that his participation in it would violate the principles of personal accountability established at Nuremberg, and that going to Iraq would effectively turn him into a war criminal. Those issues won't be addressed in his court-martial because the military judge has ruled that the legality of the war is a "political question" beyond the purview of the court. That ruling may be technically correct, but it is certainly unsatisfying.

I don't mind all that much if a lieutenant wants to protest the policies of the commander in chief, inappropriate though it is for a serving officer to do so publicly. What irks me is the implication that those of us who deployed were either too dumb to know the score, or too spineless to do the right thing. More than 2,000 citizen-soldiers from Hawai'i deployed to Iraq in 2004 and 2005. I was one of them. Permit me to make the case that those of us who went to Iraq are not war criminals.

As a matter of domestic law, the U.S. Constitution (the preservation of which is the sole reason for the existence of our armed forces) says that Congress shall have the power to declare war. When it enacted the Iraq Liberation Act of 1998, Congress made regime change in Baghdad the official policy of the United States. It explicitly authorized the use of American military forces with the "Joint Resolution to Authorize the Use of United States Armed Forces Against Iraq" of October 2002. Lt. Watada may be right in his claim that the Bush administration bamboozled the Congress with phony claims of weapons of mass destruction and insinuations of ties between Saddam Hussein and al-Qaida, but Congress has not seen fit to repeal its resolution, or to pass new legislation forcing our withdrawal.

Was this a typo? So the invasion plans for Iraq was set in place in 1998 by a Republican Congress before this administration was in power then? Wow, ...I guess 9/11 sure was a convenient co-incidence then huh?  ::)

As a matter of international law, it may be argued that U.N. Security Council Resolution 1441 (which authorized "all means necessary") was not a green light to invade Iraq, but it is important that we note what the U.N. has done since then. Acting under Chapter VII of the U.N. Charter, the Security Council passed Resolution 1511 in October 2003, authorizing "a multinational force under unified command to take all necessary measures to contribute to the maintenance of security and stability in Iraq." Since then, it has repeatedly reauthorized the American-led Multi-National Force Iraq. In its most recent resolution extending the force until Dec. 31, the Security Council acted at the explicit request of the sovereign government of Iraq.

How can anyone seriously claim that our military involvement in Iraq is illegal when both Congress and the U.N. have taken the steps to authorize it, and allow it to continue to this day?

I would think quite easily since the UN did not authorize the invasion.

Lt. Watada argues that he has the right to make his own personal assessment, notwithstanding whatever Congress and the U.N. may do. If he's right, why not make our personal assessments about how fast is safe to drive, or how much tax is our fair share? The answer is obvious: Anarchy would prevail, and the rule of law — the basis of all real freedom — would cease to exist.

Something we clearly see in Iraq, since the rule of Law was thrown out the window to invade.  :'(

Lt. Watada asserts that he truly believes that the war is illegal; therefore he has an absolute duty to refuse his orders to deploy. He reminds us that the lesson of Nuremberg is that "following orders" is no excuse for unlawful acts in war.

At the Nuremberg Tribunals, the Allies prosecuted the senior political leaders of the Axis powers for launching an unlawful war under existing legal standards. There was no U.N. Charter when the Nuremberg cases were decided, but it was no stretch to find Hitler's henchmen guilty of violating international law by invading Poland, Czechoslovakia, France and the Soviet Union. However, common soldiers and their officers were never prosecuted for merely participating in the war. They were prosecuted for murdering non-combatants, abusing prisoners and other individual acts that any rational human being knows are criminal.

No one asked Lt. Watada to do any of those things. In fact, the rules of engagement in Iraq clearly prohibit these crimes. Those rules aren't just window dressing. In the rare cases where they've stepped over the line, we've prosecuted our own soldiers and Marines. We'll continue to do so.

Many of us who served in Iraq were under no illusions about the administration's corruption of intelligence to make the case for war. Quite a few of us also believed that the war was a bad idea, made worse by poor execution. We served anyway. We deployed — not out of ignorance or fear — but because we had promised to uphold the Constitution. It never occurred to us to place ourselves above the law.

Retired Col. Thomas D. Farrell, a Honolulu resident, served as an Army intelligence officer in Iraq from June 2005 to May 2006. He wrote this commentary for The Advertiser.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070206/OPINION03/702060312/1110/OPINION

I think Watada will be thrown to the wolves, fragging will increase, ...and years from now, he will be quietly acknowledged as a hero.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2007, 07:54:30 AM »
Do you believe that any higher-ups went unpunished in the abu ghirab abuse scandal?  (you know, the one where the underlings all got prison but their bosses walked scot-free?)

Rumsfeld
w

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2007, 08:20:42 AM »
I'm sure the CG made the call and every other commander fell in line. 

Exactly.  That ol' boys club has one another's back like you wouldn't believe.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2007, 05:10:29 PM »

Although your question (and my response) has nothing to do with my comment that the military justice system is very efficient, and your comments yet another slap at our soliders, here you go:

Army to Charge a Senior Abu Ghraib Officer Over Abuse 

WASHINGTON (April 26) - The Army plans to criminally charge a top military officer involved in the interrogation scandal at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq, according to the officer's attorney.

Sean Gallup, Getty Images
The abuse scandal broke in April 2004 when pictures of prisoner abuse at Abu Ghraib were leaked to the news media.

Lt. Col. Steven L. Jordan would be the highest-ranking officer to face charges in connection with abuse of prisoners at the facility. 

Jordan is expected to be charged by Friday with dereliction of duty, conduct unbecoming an officer, lying to investigators and other crimes, according to his attorney, Samuel Spitzberg. 

The Washington Post and the New York Times reported about plans to charge Jordan Tuesday on their Web sites. 

"We're thankful that decision has finally been made, and we look forward to finally reviewing the evidence and making some decisions," Spitzberg told the Post. 

The abuse scandal broke in April 2004 when pictures of prisoner abuse were leaked to the news media. Prisoners were beaten, sexually humiliated and forced to assume painful positions while being photographed. 

Army spokesman Col. Joseph Curtin told The Associated Press Tuesday that Jordan has not been charged. After any charges, the next step would be a preliminary hearing to determine if a court martial or other action was warranted. 

Jordan, a reservist who has remained on active duty for three years, is currently stationed in the Washington area, Spitzberg said. 

"We've not had an opportunity to review the evidence, and look forward to doing that and determining whether there is a direct link with the abuses at Abu Ghraib," Spitzberg told the Times. 

Jordan was not making any public statement, his attorney said. Efforts by the AP Tuesday night to reach Spitzberg were not successful. 

The public release of the photos in television and newspaper reports caused controversy worldwide and triggered months of investigations, recriminations and a reexamination of U.S. policy on prisoners. 

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/army-to-charge-a-senior-abu-ghraib/20060425233609990014

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2007, 05:11:37 PM »

I think Watada will be thrown to the wolves, fragging will increase, ...and years from now, he will be quietly acknowledged as a hero.

Hero??  Only by liberals.  He's a coward.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2007, 05:12:49 PM »
What an idiot.

Updated at 12:53 p.m., Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Mistrial declared in Watada court-martial

By MELANTHIA MITCHELL
Associated Press/Peter Millett

FORT LEWIS, Wash. — The judge overseeing the court-martial of an Army lieutenant who refused to deploy to Iraq declared a mistrial today, saying the soldier did not fully understand a document he signed admitting to elements of the charges.
Military judge Lt. Col. John Head announced the decision after 1st Lt. Ehren Watada said he never intended to admit he had a duty to go to Iraq with his fellow soldiers — one element of the crime of missing troop movement. Head set a March 12 date for a new trial and dismissed the jurors.

Last month, Watada, 28, of Honolulu, signed a 12-page stipulation of fact in which he acknowledged he did not go to Iraq with his unit, the 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, last June. He also acknowledged making public statements criticizing the Iraq war, which he believes to be illegal.

In exchange, prosecutors dropped two charges of conduct unbecoming an officer charges against him, and agreed to proceed to trial on the remaining charges: missing movement — for his refusal to deploy last June — and two other allegations of conduct unbecoming an officer for comments made about the case.

To prove a charge of missing movement, the prosecutors need to show that Watada did not report when he had a duty to do so. The disagreement that prompted the mistrial was about whether Watada admitted missing troop movement and having a duty to report, or only missing troop movement.

"I see there is an inconsistency in the stipulation of fact," the judge said today. "I don't know how I can accept (it) as we stand here now."

Because much of the Army's evidence was laid out in the document, rejecting it would hurt its case, Head acknowledged. He granted the prosecutors' request for a mistrial, which Watada's lawyer opposed.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Feb/07/br/br5016837924.html

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2007, 05:14:37 PM »
this guy is clearly under your skin.

so he put the value of speaking his opinion and leaving the war, above his freedom from jail.

He made a choice and he's living with it.

you've posted quite a few articles about it.  You seem pretty upset.